Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Goons, on the other hand, have significant direct influence over CIG, never mind the backers. For evidence, please refer to the entire calendar years 2015 and 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I have vague memories of Chris mentioning in some 10 for the chairman (or whatever iteration of their dumb loving videos) that squadron went from being a tight, directed Wing Commander style experience to being something more open ended with a bunch of side missions and filler and stuff which is just lol for a game where you play the lowest ranking pilot on a military space carrier uhhh idk what the word is for something that can launch only two planes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I have vague memories of Chris mentioning in some 10 for the chairman (or whatever iteration of their dumb loving videos) that squadron went from being a tight, directed Wing Commander style experience to being something more open ended with a bunch of side missions and filler and stuff which is just lol for a game where you play the lowest ranking pilot on a military space carrier uhhh idk what the word is for something that can launch only two planes.

His idea for the game changed, sure. I'm sure it's still changing. Good thing he doesn't have to actually make anything, since he can't.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

His idea for the game changed, sure. I'm sure it's still changing. Good thing he doesn't have to actually make anything, since he can't.

Well yeah I mean that goes without saying.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

That isn't how psychology works. It doesn't matter if "Derek" has "influence." You're attaching the verb to the wrong subject. Derek is a name they use to rally around and spite fund. Considering how many times that name has been uttered by the cultists, it's impossible to deny that they use it as a rallying cry. Derek himself doesn't even need to exist.

Look at how much mileage religion gets out of the devil.

That's probably true, but I doubt they really needed him. They're pretty thoroughly self-deluded, with or without a "boogeyman".

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Trilobite posted:

Going back to this, uh, precious individual for a moment -- is there a consensus on what drives this intense and incredibly detailed theorycrafting followed up by a series of questions?

Is it just a lonely kid on the playground trying to create a complicated imaginary world where he understands how all the gears mesh together, hoping that someone else will ask him about it? Is it proof of allegiance -- ridiculous theorycrafting shows that he's a Real Star Citizen because no one else would dare ask what CIG (a company that can't make AI, a flight model, working netcode with a mythical "server meshing" breakthrough, or even a partially-complete single-player game) is doing? Is it genuine delusion?

(Or is he just taking the piss, doing his version of the "procedural birds" gag, and waiting to laugh at the people who take it seriously?)

They are very, very serious about their theorycrafting. I still have no idea what drives it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's probably true, but I doubt they really needed him. They're pretty thoroughly self-deluded, with or without a "boogeyman".

Tribalistic methodologies are a great way to engender return customers. But you have to ensure a tangible "other" is there to "reject". Publishers provided the framework, Goons provided the conspiracy, and Derek provided the "face". Then you, or your customer base, can construct a "boogeyman" that will do its job on its own. In a sense, the "other" just has to be a recognizable cheap Halloween costume to start working. Without at minimum the things above, the rejection of the "other" is too vague and too inconsistent for there to be a coherent message.

And that message, no matter where it is, is "gently caress them, buy our stuff."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Amazing Zimmo posted:

There were many lol's to be had during that meltdown

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I agree with that. I'm still blown away every single day what they're paying for, what they're overlooking, what they're forgiving, and for all that, what they're getting.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Elderbean posted:

These are men in their 30s and 40s lmao.

For real though I want some psych grads to do their thesis on Star Citizen lol. There has to be some oddly specific phenomenon unique to consumerism that causes people to sink so much time and emotional energy into the dream of the perfect product.

I feel like all that time spent daydreaming would be better spent on tabletop RPGs or something. On the other hand, it's a hobby with enough weirdos and it doesn't need more guys who want rape in their games.

Here's one that was recently posted here https://www.scribd.com/document/395876766/Final-Exam

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

I said come in! posted:

He really has no influence at all. His blog posts were stolen from other sources and and he took credit for them.

His influence during the JPG War (especially late 2015 through much of 2016) shouldn’t be completely discounted. He did have some inside sources, did have some original scoops, and absolutely disrupted the triumphalist narrative CIG enjoyed prior to his arrival. He forced Chris and Sandi’s marriage out into the open (rightly so) and was the first guy warning that Star Marine was deader that dead. (And but for Derek, Chris’s response to The Escapist wouldn’t have been half as wonderful to read. Because he doxxed Chris’s wife!)

And I say all this as somebody who had a lot of long form writing, charts and stuff copied from here and pasted right on his blog. (I didn’t care about him doing that at all.)

A couple of the leakers back then were active in the Discord and well placed in the company. I was skeptical when first I joined his Discord, but as a very early mod who saw a lot of what was disclosed, I wasn’t doubtful for long. There were whistleblowers then and they were talking. Chris and Sandi’s rage about Derek and Goons was a source of much ongoing chatter and interest throughout CIG & Foundry. I asked one directly back then whether the things Goons were doing were making things worse for anybody besides Chris and Sandi, and said, “if it is I don’t want to do it.” But it wasn’t. Quite the opposite we were told, and so we kept at it.

Chris and Sandi had themselves to thank for galvanizing their opposition forces to join up. Goons weren’t ever going to be easy allies with Derek, but a lot of that early drama (e.g. The Sandi Monica bloodbath) pissed off Beer, Bootcha, Pgabz and a bunch more of us and lead to a lot of joint efforts - most of which were well received by the opposition folks inside CIG and Foundry and some of which gained traction elsewhere.

(The bloodbath, we should recall, was caused by Derek publishing the Jennison letter, and later lead to stuff like notacult.avi, etc.)

PGabz was a non-stop destructive force with his video output back then, Bootcha was already going rogue but then dropped notacult.avi and really captured what had absurdly started to flourish in this weird Goon/Smart alliance. Memes and mockery of the BDSSE, of the Community, and the cult leadership of Chris and Sandi. I know later efforts like Donutgate and the Jeffrey MacArthur stuff got around and pissed the right people off, and Derek helped with that. He was also a huge force for refund efforts, too. He would both light his own flames and fan any others lit elsewhere, and with /DerekSmart there to meltdown with every tweet and utterance, it was a fine little cycle of rage and laughter.

It’s also worth mentioning that Derek’s villainous persona rallied backers old and new into a confederacy of faithful defender spenders. He helped galvanize the fundraising and also steered the Polygons and Kotakus away from some really low hanging fruit like, oh, reporting on The Book of Loaf and crap like that.

Chris should’ve sent him a thank you note: “Thanks for making Sandi, Ben and I look like victims and good guys. We really needed it!”

On the prior point, I heard as much a year later from Kotaku UK - that the obnoxiousness of Derek’s warlording was keeping the gaming press the hell away from the story. It got bad enough during the run up to release for “Inside The Troubled Development of CIG” that Keza MacDonald was openly talking about ditching the story and just publishing Julian’s long form interview with Chris at Foundry. (Thank goodness she didn’t - it was the best thing to date on the topic.)

Anyway, I’m not white knighting for Derek and lord knows we disagree about some things, sometimes pretty angrily, but he did have some real impact, for good and for ill. (Some of what began then continues today in other forms, most notably Bootcha’s deep dive series.) And whether you believe any of the above or not, it’s an absolute fact that the middle chapters of this never-ending story would have been far less hilarious had he not known shown up and tried to trogdor this godforsaken project.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 26, 2019

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Amazing Zimmo posted:

There were many lol's to be had during that meltdown

, not .

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Stimperor posted:

Even if Star citizen explodes spectacularly at some point, I fear that it will take it's biggest mystery with it: who is Mirificus?

Once this is all just a distant memory, I'll still be wondering who this hero or heroine was that waded through all the bizarre poo poo so we didn't have to.

* a mysterious nippon-cat appears*

"Stimperor-san, it is possible i can help you. But you promise to end sickening empire first, yes?"
"Sayonara"

* a mysterious nippon-cat disappears*

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

G0RF posted:

His influence during the JPG War (especially late 2015 through much of 2016) shouldn’t be completely discounted. He did have some inside sources, did have some original scoops, and absolutely disrupted the triumphalist narrative CIG enjoyed prior to his arrival. He forced Chris and Sandi’s marriage out into the open (rightly so) and was the first guy warning that Star Marine was deader that dead. (And but for Derek, Chris’s response to The Escapist wouldn’t have been half as wonderful to read. Because he doxxed Chris’s wife!)

And I say all this as somebody who had a lot of long form writing, charts and stuff copied from here and pasted right on his blog. (I didn’t care about him doing that at all.)

A couple of the leakers back then were active in the Discord and well placed in the company. I was skeptical when first I joined his Discord, but as a very early mod who saw a lot of what was disclosed, I wasn’t doubtful for long. There were whistleblowers then and they were talking. Chris and Sandi’s rage about Derek and Goons was a source of much ongoing chatter and interest throughout CIG & Foundry. I asked one directly back then whether the things Goons were doing were making things worse for anybody besides Chris and Sandi, and said, “if it is I don’t want to do it.” But it wasn’t. Quite the opposite we were told, and so we kept at it.

Chris and Sandi had themselves to thank for galvanizing their opposition forces to join up. Goons weren’t ever going to be easy allies with Derek, but a lot of that early drama (e.g. The Sandi Monica bloodbath) pissed off Beer, Bootcha, Pgabz and a bunch more of us and lead to a lot of joint efforts - most of which were well received by the opposition folks inside CIG and Foundry and some of which gained traction elsewhere.

(The bloodbath, we should recall, was caused by Derek publishing the Jennison letter, and later lead to stuff like notacult.avi, etc.)

PGabz was a non-stop destructive force with his video output back then, Bootcha was already going rogue but then dropped notacult.avi and really captured what had absurdly started to flourish in this weird Goon/Smart alliance. Memes and mockery of the BDSSE, of the Community, and the cult leadership of Chris and Sandi. I know later efforts like Donutgate and the Jeffrey MacArthur stuff got around and pissed the right people off, and Derek helped with that. He was also a huge force for refund efforts, too. He would both light his own flames and fan any others lit elsewhere, and with /DerekSmart there to meltdown with every tweet and utterance, it was a fine little cycle of rage and laughter.

It’s also worth mentioning that Derek’s villainous persona rallied backers old and new into a confederacy of faithful defender spenders. He helped galvanize the fundraising and also steered the Polygons and Kotakus away from some really low hanging fruit like, oh, reporting on The Book of Loaf and crap like that.

Chris should’ve sent him a thank you note: “Thanks for making Sandi, Ben and I look like victims and good guys. We really needed it!”

On the prior point, I heard as much a year later from Kotaku UK - that the obnoxiousness of Derek’s warlording was keeping the gaming press the hell away from the story. It got bad enough during the run up to release for “Inside The Troubled Development of CIG” that Keza MacDonald was openly talking about ditching the story and just publishing Julian’s long form interview with Chris at Foundry. (Thank goodness she didn’t - it was the best thing to date on the topic.)

Anyway, I’m not white knighting for Derek and lord knows we disagree about some things, sometimes pretty angrily, but he did have some real impact, for good and for ill. (Some of what began then continues today in other forms, most notably Bootcha’s deep dive series.) And whether you believe any of the above or not, it’s an absolute fact that the middle chapters of this never-ending story would have been far less hilarious had he not known shown up and tried to trogdor this godforsaken project.

This is the Stimpire in which I belong.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Chris Roberts reply to the Escapist article was over half just riling on about Derek Smart in a bogeyman form ..... It was great - anyone have it handy?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EmesiS posted:

This is the Stimpire in which I belong.

The worst form of verbosity. Tripling every second.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I’m a former concierge backer. My shame is and inch deep but a mile wide.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The project is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

EmesiS posted:

I’m a former concierge backer. My shame is and inch deep but a mile wide.

Did you get a refund?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Kosumo posted:

Chris Roberts reply to the Escapist article was over half just riling on about Derek Smart in a bogeyman form ..... It was great - anyone have it handy?

Spacetoaster has your back.

It’s the end all be all of “Nice Meltdowns”, and we have Derek to thank for it.

As best I can tell, this was the chain of events that birthed it...
  • David Jennison quits, and his letter enumerating his reasons for it leaks somehow.
  • It gets published to Derek’s blog, natch.
  • Sandi has a thermonuclear meltdown right out in the open at CIG LA - then fires Alyssa in a flood of screamed obscenities... (Alyssa may have just been collateral damage.)
  • James defends her and petitions for calm, then he gets fired in Meltdown Part Deux...
  • A CIG LA artist quits on the spot in disgust at the open toxicity...
  • Lisa puts in her 2 weeks notice. Two other employees quit in Austin as word of the bloodbath spreads.
  • The Day After is broadcast, and good lord it doesn’t get more awkward than this
  • The Escapist covers the dumpster fire in two installments, airing grievances galore from recently departed anonymous employees.
  • Then Chris Roberts melts down in a free form prose explosion that he apparently spent an entire day crafting. (Above)

That was just one week’s worth of drama from back then. And there was more and it was worse. Derek, ultimately, deserves the credit and blame for much of the above. And he gets called out indirectly by Ben (see video) and directly by Chris (see letter.)

And that was just the fallout from one blog post. For good or ill, that’s influence.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 26, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Shout out to Krispies!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Some of the comments on that video made me curious - SC fanboys keep going on about how amazing SQ42 is going to be. What do we actually KNOW about it? What is the mission structure? Is it more open world like Freelancer or Rebel Galaxy, or focused like Freespace? What is the main thrust of the plot? Do we know ANYTHING about the game besides the fact some celebrities are in it?

What is the mission structure?

AMAZING!

Is it more open world like Freelancer or Rebel Galaxy, or focused like Freespace?

It's gonna be the one you prefer the most.

What is the main thrust of the plot?

SQ42 has the best plot, believe me, it's gonna be way beyond whatever pandering poo poo Hollywood can come up with.

Do we know ANYTHING about the game besides the fact some celebrities are in it?

We have Superman, Star Wars guy, xfiles girl and old Game of Thrones guy, what more do you need?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

They are very, very serious about their theorycrafting. I still have no idea what drives it.

I think the root enabler of that theorycrafting (perhaps not the root cause itself) is the complete lack of awareness about the dire straits the project is really in. Many of these theoricrafter backers are simply seeing the 300+ millions coming in and do not even consider thinking there is any issue at all in the first place. For them it is just a matter of time that with all those millions steadily streaming in CIG can eventually develop basically anything they set out to.

Kill that idyllic perception of financial assurance and the rest falls as a house of cards.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I think part of it is also a lack of understanding that video games are and always will be a digital house of mirrors. And never a living, breathing world.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that's what's so revolutionary about star citizen

it will be

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

MedicineHut posted:

I think the root enabler of that theorycrafting (perhaps not the root cause itself) is the complete lack of awareness about the dire straits the project is really in. Many of these theoricrafter backers are simply seeing the 300+ millions coming in and do not even consider thinking there is any issue at all in the first place. For them it is just a matter of time that with all those millions steadily streaming in CIG can eventually develop basically anything they set out to.

Kill that idyllic perception of financial assurance and the rest falls as a house of cards.

It's this wired thing were people go, look they have millions they must know what they are doing. Only super organised, sucsefull people get left in charge of that kind of money.

History is littered with a multitude of big projects that ambled fowards blowing millions due to poor planning, bad management and desk pounding over confidence.

But if those Indies guys can make that coo gamel for X imagine how good SC will be with 300x !!!

It's like If you have no clue on how good something is you use price as guide, this wine is expensive so it must be better than that cheap one. This one is cheaper so it must have lower quality.

Yet if we put that analogy in star citizen terms, the outrageously expensive bottle is broken pile of shattered glass on the floor with an IOU for a label, Chris is off mansion in Italy trying find good grape growing ground to plant his world class seeds in that he is still yet to order. So we conclude it must be far better than cheaper bottle of nice wine that can be enjoyed right now.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It also helps that gamers are loving stupid.

Look at the time for dollars argument for example, paying 60$ for terrible playing game that takes 100 hours to complete = GOOD GAME

But 60$ for the most sublime gaming experience you will ever experience but it only lasts for 5 hours = BAD GAME

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Bootcha posted:

I think part of it is also a lack of understanding that video games are and always will be a digital house of mirrors. And never a living, breathing world.

Computers are magic!

It is a lovely thing, really. First, you have greedy and lazy publishers, which suitably explains why video games are all just fake - because true fidelity takes time, effort and a visionary genius. For whatever reason no other publisher or studio have had those three things before. Second, you have n+1 features listed (most of which are attached to particular ships), described in detail but with no real information on how all that stuff is going to be implemented in the game, but that's OK because CI have loads of money and 500+ people so they can get poo poo done. Third, you have supercool technical terminology like server meshing combined with the infinite power of cloud computing, so there is no limit to the amount of stuff that CI can put in the game.

TL; DR: publishers are intentionally blocking living, breathing worlds, but the Cloud (Imperium) promises deliverance and endless fidelity.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Thank you for the interesting synopsis

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sandweed posted:

What is the mission structure?

Do we know ANYTHING about the game besides the fact some celebrities are in it?

We have Superman, Star Wars guy, xfiles girl and old Game of Thrones guy, what more do you need?

Do you have any Mae Demming in it?

Cos if you do, we know then that you only have the very best.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

And that he built these forums

He built this forum.
He built this forum on shitposting.
Built this forum.
He built this forum on shitposting. Whoa!

That Facerig thing that some streamers are using could really do with a free Crobear DLC

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sandweed posted:

It also helps that gamers are loving stupid.

Look at the time for dollars argument for example, paying 60$ for terrible playing game that takes 100 hours to complete = GOOD GAME

But 60$ for the most sublime gaming experience you will ever experience but it only lasts for 5 hours = BAD GAME

i don't need a mentally enriching cultural experience, i need to spend as much time as possible not thinking about my life

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

reverend crabhands posted:

Thank you for the interesting synopsis

I endorse this message. Reading back through some of the horror stories, the drama and the shitposting has been a very productive use of my time when I'm up against a deadline.

Oddly, it's also reminded me of the time Codemasters rebooted the Operation Flashpoint franchise from under the noses of Bohemia Interactive. Some of the internet activity around that particular event is particularly reminiscent of the long, long descent into madness of Star Citizen, at least in the internet paper trail. Happy days.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ghostlight posted:

i don't need a mentally enriching cultural experience, i need to spend as much time as possible not thinking about my life

There are good games for that to.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Kosumo posted:

Do you have any Mae Demming in it?

Cos if you do, we know then that you only have the very best.

We are not disusing our Tickler in Black DLC expansion at this time

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

https://archive.is/33W9O

Ghostlight posted:

that's what's so revolutionary about star citizen

it will never be

FTFY :)

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

If you're telling me that your pornhub username isn't "Beet meatWagon" then we are no longer friends.

Side note- why would someone have a pornhub account in the first place?

You need to have an account to upload videos.

I found this out the hard way and then suffered the double embarrassment when my videos were rejected.

Apparently they aren't interested in prawn movies.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

I said come in! posted:

He really has no influence at all. His blog posts were stolen from other sources and and he took credit for them.

I can't speak to now, but he had considerable influence circa 2015, in addition to the stuff he was directly involved in, the really meaningful thing was the byproduct of his shenanigans, which was much more visible/vocal consideration of the state of the game. There's really no telling how many people (including me) were deterred from ever buying in because of it, in that instead of their first exposure to Star Citizen being CIG's marketing materials, it was some element of the drama (and mockery)

I feel as though Derek deserves credit for making enough noise that people ended up learning the truth where otherwise they might not have, or not until later. I don't know how many backers Derek converted, but I think his efforts led to a meaningful number of people never becoming backers in the first place.

(no, that doesn't make him any less crazy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My main problem with Derek is when he tries to present himself as some kind of industry insider. He might sometimes spur some fun drama, but at the end of the day, he's a self-aggrandizing, narcissistic douche who can't help doxxing anyone he feels ever slighted him.

So the second anyone talks about him in glowing terms it rubs me the wrong way. I don't like encouraging that kind of person - I've had too many bad experiences with them in my personal life.