Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Big Taint posted:

On the plus side, if the core is rotten it probably doesn’t go past that drip channel, so you’re looking at maybe 1 square foot of bad core. Once you get the fitting out you can poke around and see how soft it is. You can also tap with a hard plastic mallet and listen for bad core areas, the mallet will bounce if the core is good and thud where it’s bad. If it doesn’t extend too far from the hole you might be able to get away with just digging out the bad stuff and filling with thickened epoxy.

Then I’d use a hole saw to cut a piece of plywood that will fit the hole, put some tape on the underside to hold it in place and fill around it with some neat epoxy. Then I’d sand a bevel around the hole maybe 1/2” (depends on how thick the glass part is) and then lay down layers of glass of decreasing diameter (so biggest on bottom) until it was levelish with the rest of the area. Then bevel and glass on the inside of the hole (overhead sucks, you can put wax paper over it to keep it from dripping all over). Then fair and finish to taste. Or just cover it with the duckboards and be done.

If the core is bad in a larger area, you might want to cut the top skin off around the perimeter of the area, dig out and replace the bad core, and then glass over the top.

The cockpit sole is a place where you want to do a proper repair because it’s pretty much guaranteed to be wet, and there’s probably a berth under that leak. A quick patch won’t last long, it’s a high traffic area. Plus it sucks when you step down and feel the sole deflect a bunch because the core is dead.

Good advice, much appreciated. I don't think it's gonna be so bad - I already had the fitting out and felt around inside with just my fingers and I don't think the rot has spread that far (yet). Still quite a bit of work to fix though and I haven't worked with epoxy before so I'll need to practice on something first. For now I slathered some new sealant on there and put the fitting back in with the hope that it'll survive the summer without too much leaking, because right now I'd rather be doing this:

Got back from the real maiden voyage yesterday, made it safely to new home port despite some pretty lovely weather. In the inner parts of the Stockholm archipelago you can just stop and wait it out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Got a contract on a piece of waterfront property with a boathouse. Looking forward to fixing it up, seeing if the lifts already in it can be adjusted and strong enough to work with my boat.

The houses pictured are on adjacent lots, and there are no structures on our lot other than the boathouse.

Siding is old cypress, probably going to pull some of it down to make a table and a few other things for the house we're going to build.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
I just realised we had a boat thread. Wish I’d known when I was still down on it. My wife and I work in the States from May-November, save our money, then blow it all on beer and boat parts in the Caribbean for the winter. Oh, and we have two kitties that travel with us.

Anyway, she’s a 2001 Lagoon 410. Great boat that we’ve had for almost seven years. Unfortunately, she was on the hard on St. Martin during Irma and we lost our mast and Bimini. Luckily we had insurance and she’s back together and we hauled in Grenada a couple weeks ago. Now back on land for six months.

Here are some shots:

On the hard in Grenada

In her proper element

Our “car” with bonus rainbow

One of our cats, Fife, getting angry at paper towels

Fife and Stevie enjoying being outside

Fife trying to captain

Slow Graffiti fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 2, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Boat cattes are the best cattes. :kimchi:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If I took my thoroughly indoor house cats on a boat it would be chaos. But that is awesome!

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Elmnt80 posted:

Boat cattes are the best cattes. :kimchi:
It’s true!

Popete posted:

If I took my thoroughly indoor house cats on a boat it would be chaos. But that is awesome!

Our cats are indoor kitties and they do just fine. We just keep them inside if we aren’t outside in the cockpit.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My grandfather had an outdoor cat that would chill on his boat and hang out in his camper. She knew to stay on board the boat when we were in port and would stay below when we were under way. A good catte. I miss her. :shobon:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We bring the dog on the boat, even bought her a life jacket. She sits on top of the cabin around midship and hangs her head over the rail, tongue out, like she’s sticking her head out of a car window.

We had to train her to do her thing on a little patch of artificial grass, that was the hardest thing. She felt so bad the first time she went #2 on that thing, she thought we’d be mad.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
Awww. I know lots of folks with dogs on board and the hardest part of training the to go on the AstroTurf is convincing them it’s ok to poop in/on the “house”.

Also, here’s an extra pic of Stevie when we tried to take away his beer...

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

"I'll knock this over when I'm drat well ready, human."

We had our mostly outdoor cat on the boat for a week when we got evacuated for the fires a couple years ago and she did great. The litter box wasn't fun, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Slow Graffiti posted:

Awww. I know lots of folks with dogs on board and the hardest part of training the to go on the AstroTurf is convincing them it’s ok to poop in/on the “house”.

We ended up petting and complimenting her the whole time she was pooping; it was a pretty awkward moment for everyone involved.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Slow Graffiti posted:

I just realised we had a boat thread. Wish I’d known when I was still down on it. My wife and I work in the States from May-November, save our money, then blow it all on beer and boat parts in the Caribbean for the winter. Oh, and we have two kitties that travel with us.

Anyway, she’s a 2001 Lagoon 410. Great boat that we’ve had for almost seven years. Unfortunately, she was on the hard on St. Martin during Irma and we lost our mast and Bimini. Luckily we had insurance and she’s back together and we hauled in Grenada a couple weeks ago. Now back on land for six months.

Here are some shots:

On the hard in Grenada

In her proper element

You lucky bastard! I got my ASA114 on a ~2000-2004 Lagoon 440 down in the Sea of Cortez. Lovely boat.

You're doing life Correctly with that schedule, I think! Glad to hear insurance has taken good care of you.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Big Taint posted:

"I'll knock this over when I'm drat well ready, human."

We had our mostly outdoor cat on the boat for a week when we got evacuated for the fires a couple years ago and she did great. The litter box wasn't fun, though.

Yeah, we’re in a constant battle to keep them from tracking litter around the boat. Luckily we’ve got a third head that we don’t really use so the box goes in there which sorta helps. The only real problem is on rough passages when the kitties don’t make it over there and we find “fear poop” in the companionways.

FrozenVent posted:

We ended up petting and complimenting her the whole time she was pooping; it was a pretty awkward moment for everyone involved.

Ha! I can see where that would be a little odd.

Kenshin posted:

You lucky bastard! I got my ASA114 on a ~2000-2004 Lagoon 440 down in the Sea of Cortez. Lovely boat.

You're doing life Correctly with that schedule, I think! Glad to hear insurance has taken good care of you.

Thanks! The only tricky thing is making sure I have enough shots for my MS. The pharmacy won’t ship out of the country and I always have to make sure I’ve got a good stock when we head down for the season. All our other meds are super easy and cheap to refill down there, but the specialty ones are pretty much impossible without local insurance.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody sailing lately?
I missed almost all of our spring season thanks to boat work and very flukey weather. Got the boat up to the lake for a three night camping trip, but we had t-storms roll in at 4pm every day so I only got an hour or two of sailing in between lunch barge duty and having to be off the water.
Our last night as we were wrapping up dinner the temp dropped and a strong on-shore breeze came up. In about 30 minutes we went from pleasant evening to the heaviest hail I’d ever seen (quarter sized, looked like snow) and then a downpour that washed all the hail away.
I’m guessing the winds were at least 30mph based on the time it took the squall line to cross the lake.
My little 11lb anchor wasn’t quite up to it but the (raised) keel dig into the beach and held the boat with the backstay about 10’ off some friendly trees.

We all retreated to our tents to hide out the storm, but I was happy to find the boat a-ok in the morning.

That bucket on the bow is my anchor locker and it had a little over two inches of water in it, but the inside of the boat was bone dry, so I’m pretty happy with the rebedding job I did on the deck hardware.
The silver lining to this summer has been joining a yacht club and getting access to their dinghies. I’ve taken Sunfish out the last two weekends and it’s wonderful not needing to drag a trailer or round up a crew. Standing the mast is a little easier as well.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Thunderstorms scare the poo poo out of me when I'm in a boat :smith:

I've made a few spring trips! I'm going for a midsummer day trip on Friday with a few expat colleagues who have never set their foot on a sailboat before, that's gonna be fun. Then I work next week, but after that it's five weeks of vacation and hopefully five weeks of sailing.

https://gfycat.com/entireyawningachillestang

This is from the maiden voyage, basically a delivery trip. Sorta windy for our first trip with the boat - we were having winds around 18-22 knots sustained and more in the gusts. In the clip we're on a broad reach with one reef in the main (yes I know the luff needs tightening, it'll get better as we get used to the boat) and while I think the video on gfycat is too blurry to read, the log is reading around 6.75 knots. Should've taken in the second reef, as we discovered when we turned a corner and had to start tacking upwind. Boat runs great though - seems like she wants to do 6 and change knots most of the time in reasonable winds. 8 knots is doable on a beam reach.

Baltic sea best sea, fore-against-shore or bust :colbert:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 20, 2019

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The rivers just started coming down this week, we finally managed to reach the boat to start maintenance. No way we’re in the water before July.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

I'm kinda concerned about the dead body on the right there. :ohdear:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

How else is supposed to get the body out deep to dump it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

How else is supposed to get the body out deep to dump it.

Protip: remove the life vest before tossing it overboard. As me how I know.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm kinda concerned about the dead body on the right there. :ohdear:

that's my sister you're talking about :mad:

She's just resting busy staring at the charts, definitely not dead, see?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I'm suffering so much I'm almost looking forward to going on the Denmark ferry in two weeks. :smithicide: Boatless life is no life! On the upside the weather has been useless so far this summer.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

monsterzero posted:

Anybody sailing lately?
I missed almost all of our spring season thanks to boat work and very flukey weather. Got the boat up to the lake for a three night camping trip, but we had t-storms roll in at 4pm every day so I only got an hour or two of sailing in between lunch barge duty and having to be off the water.
Our last night as we were wrapping up dinner the temp dropped and a strong on-shore breeze came up. In about 30 minutes we went from pleasant evening to the heaviest hail I’d ever seen (quarter sized, looked like snow) and then a downpour that washed all the hail away.
I’m guessing the winds were at least 30mph based on the time it took the squall line to cross the lake.
My little 11lb anchor wasn’t quite up to it but the (raised) keel dig into the beach and held the boat with the backstay about 10’ off some friendly trees.

We all retreated to our tents to hide out the storm, but I was happy to find the boat a-ok in the morning.

That bucket on the bow is my anchor locker and it had a little over two inches of water in it, but the inside of the boat was bone dry, so I’m pretty happy with the rebedding job I did on the deck hardware.
The silver lining to this summer has been joining a yacht club and getting access to their dinghies. I’ve taken Sunfish out the last two weekends and it’s wonderful not needing to drag a trailer or round up a crew. Standing the mast is a little easier as well.

I stepped the mast on the new to me H16 for the first time. Wind was going a non-preferred direction for my first time taking it out, so I didn’t whatever the term is for putting the sail up.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Sweet. I helped a friend rig his Solcat 18 for the first time in a bit last weekend. I was surprised by how much sketchier it was to step than my Catalina on account of no pin, just a nipple and dimple on a pivoting fitting, the trampolines and the rinky-dink trailer. I've heard the Hobies are better in the first regard at least. We had unfavorable winds as well, so did not raise sail.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I was never able to use the pin on my H14. I'd just elevate the mast with the forestay connected, and lift the mast straight up and set it in the pocket and then connect the stays.

I need to get a H16, Hurricane Matthew killed my 14 :(

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I’m officially the other kind of boater now.

Looked like a good day at the lake, forecast called for SW winds at 7kts with gusts. Tuned out to be out of the SE which put the wind on the club ramp/docks, and it was shifting back and forth from left to right. I tried to sail the sunfish out but any time I’d get the sail set the wind would shift and the boat would want to tack and start slipping to leeward. Had to have a little cool-down while holding the boat off the rip rap. Eventually the gusts dropped and I was able to sail off the dock but the winds were just as flukey on the lake. I’d be sailing on on a broad reach and a wind shift would make the boom try to kiss my face. And I didn’t bring any beer with me.

I gave up just in time to watch a bunch of kids sail the club boats out with no drama. Guess the secret it a 9-y/o on the bow doggie paddling until you’re out of the cove.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sailing little dingys on a small lake with shifting and gusting wind is a lot of fun. It gets your adrenaline up but without any real serious risk, usually at worst you capsize the boat and get wet and have to right her with keel weight.

Worst I've ever sailed was 2 years ago on Lake Michigan just a couple miles off shore downtown Chicago, beautiful day and we are on the downwind with our spinnaker up. All of a sudden a wall of grey envelopes the city to the point you can't see any building anymore. We quickly get our spinnaker down and prepare to make the mark on a reach for the next leg but the storm and wind hits us before we round. We did round the mark but it was really scary as the wind was probably around 40 knots at this point and a ton of rain. Boat behind us ripped a hole in the spinnaker and it took off on them. Storm passed pretty quick but we were stuck in a reach, skipper injured his arm when the tiller hit him hard.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

monsterzero posted:

Sweet. I helped a friend rig his Solcat 18 for the first time in a bit last weekend. I was surprised by how much sketchier it was to step than my Catalina on account of no pin, just a nipple and dimple on a pivoting fitting, the trampolines and the rinky-dink trailer. I've heard the Hobies are better in the first regard at least. We had unfavorable winds as well, so did not raise sail.
It had a pin, and I did it while it was off the trailer, so it wasn't terrible. Couldn't get the pin out, but all in good time.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My girlfriend’s grandfather passed away recently and left behind a lifetime of fishing and boating gear.

Part of that is this 16’ Boston whaler. It’s obviously in very rough shape. My gf would love to get it back in the water for sentimental reasons plus she just misses boating after not really doing it for years.

We just excavated it from the garage so I was able to get these photos. We were hoping to find more of an intact interior, some of it is there but we don’t have time to sort out the parts right now.

Do any of you have a ballpark idea of how much it might cost to get it safely running again without worrying about cosmetics/restoration? Like would it be more than say $10,000 if possible at all?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Much of cost will depend on 2 things:

1. How much wood Boston Whaler used in the boat originally? Whether it's wood core transom, stringers, floor, etc.

2. If you will be doing the work yourself or not.

To replace a transom and stringers is a ton of work and it's poo poo work. That translates to big expense if a shop is doing it.

I would make sure she's super sentimental about this boat before proceeding. You could certainly buy a much nicer boat for what you'll have in it when you get done. Having said that, I understand sentimentality and it would be a great project to resurrect it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That cabin/coaming is different, did he make that? You can tell if the transom is shot by grabbing the bottom of the engine and flexing it up/down as hard as you can; any deflection of the transom is bad. Otherwise there’s not any structural wood that I’m aware of, just some embedded wood for mounting hardware. That motor is probably going to take some effort to get running if it’s at all possible. A new one would run around $10k installed for similar power.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah, that's erm, definitely not...standard Boston Whaler combing. They're typically really well built boats so the answer to your question is, yeah, it's probably salvageable. I think the other consideration is your location (inland/intracoastal/offshore?) and your use case in your ROI analysis.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks for the input, guys!!

Scrapez posted:

Much of cost will depend on 2 things:

1. How much wood Boston Whaler used in the boat originally? Whether it's wood core transom, stringers, floor, etc.

2. If you will be doing the work yourself or not.

To replace a transom and stringers is a ton of work and it's poo poo work. That translates to big expense if a shop is doing it.

I don’t think it had a lot of wood in it originally. And we have some decent carpentry connections so that might not be a big problem to overcome. We’d do as much as we could ourselves but maybe have someone gel coat it.

Big Taint posted:

That cabin/coaming is different, did he make that? You can tell if the transom is shot by grabbing the bottom of the engine and flexing it up/down as hard as you can; any deflection of the transom is bad. Otherwise there’s not any structural wood that I’m aware of, just some embedded wood for mounting hardware. That motor is probably going to take some effort to get running if it’s at all possible. A new one would run around $10k installed for similar power.

He made some of it for sure. A few pieces seemed possibly original but it was hard to tell at first glance. Unfortunately he had another Boston whaler in much better condition but that got sold off with a house in the keys after he died. This one could even be a parts boat for all we know but for the aforementioned sentimental reasons it might be worth the time/money/work.

I’ll try the transom test next time we get a look at it, thanks for that.

Crunchy Black posted:

I think the other consideration is your location (inland/intracoastal/offshore?) and your use case in your ROI analysis.

We’ll have it in upstate NY near the Hudson for what that’s worth. It would probably only see occasional use since we live in the city but we just might go for it anyway :shrug: I think it means a lot to her.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Really the only "structural" wood in that Whaler is in the transom, the rest is just for attachment points.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Sailed Saturday morning - Thursday afternoon. Weather from completely becalmed and sunny over dense fog to all-day-rain and the occasional thunderclap. Having a cockpit tent is amazing and I can't believe I've sailed without one before.

Tjärven lighthouse (Fl(4) W 12S 12M) in the distance, where the Stockholm archipelago gives way to open sea.

boat owns, sailing owns, that is all

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Looks hella nice, but idk how you managed to find such good weather this summer. It seems to be all wind and rain over here.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Neslepaks posted:

Looks hella nice, but idk how you managed to find such good weather this summer. It seems to be all wind and rain over here.

I took the photos in the few hours of sunshine in between the rain showers :ssh:
We did have quite a lot of rain and wind. We spent an entire day just sitting idle in a sheltered bay playing cards and board games (and replacing a seawater pump in the galley) while waiting for the rain to pass. That's why the cockpit tent is such a game changer - you can get in and out without making half the cabin wet. We did have some stronger winds but for the most part it stayed around 5-8 m/s (10-14 knots, ish) and that's almost ideal for this boat - we don't take in a reef until the average is above 8 m/s.

I can't recommend swimming in the Baltic when it's like this, though. It's like 12-13°C (53-55­°F) in the water. I did go in on two occasions, but it's not very pleasant.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Hi boat thread. I bought a little fishing boat. Babbys first.

12" Mirrocraft, Utility V 4602. The cowl is wrong, it's the 10hp. According to the S/N, one of the first runs. I do have the right cowl, but it doesn't want to fit properly.
It came with the original gas tank. I'm having a tough time finding a cap that will fit. Quite a few of the parts are no longer available for this motor. I will likely get a new tank though.

I got the last prop cap on ebay, it seems. It will be here in a few days.The trailer is almost as old as I am, and it needed some work. It was also too long to fit in the garage.

The old hardware is also no longer available.

I cut the trailer down, moved what I had and it fits fine in the garage. I gotta clean up the wiring a little but it all works.

I bought everything off the BIL, who for some reason gave me the friends and family deal. I had the boat out solo on a little lake nearby. Well, slough really. It is central Alberta in July. The motor gave me some trouble, which was odd. It never gave the BIL any, and since he had his newer boat a mechanic friend of his has had it for the last year. I'm not sure what was up. It wouldn't run for more that 5-10 seconds, and needed the choke even though it was warm. It cleared itself out after a bit and ran fine. I decided not to risk it and headed home.

I shot cleaner in the carb, fiddled with the screws. It ran fine in a garbage can of water for about a half hour, both at idle and in gear. I'm guessing some gunk made it's way in somehow. The fuel lines looked to be in good shape, I believe they were replaced recently. The plugs are new and correct, the little fuel filter was fine too. I still have to get a few spare parts. I would like to find out if I can replace the plastic prop cap with a castle nut as well. I don't know if I'll mount the seats, or how if I do. These little boats have foam in the benches. I would also like to go to a newer 15hp 4, but that won't be this summer.

Looking forward to fishing without having to be invited by boat having friends

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Old Balls McGee posted:

The motor gave me some trouble, which was odd. It never gave the BIL any, and since he had his newer boat a mechanic friend of his has had it for the last year. I'm not sure what was up. It wouldn't run for more that 5-10 seconds, and needed the choke even though it was warm. It cleared itself out after a bit and ran fine. I decided not to risk it and headed home.

I shot cleaner in the carb, fiddled with the screws. It ran fine in a garbage can of water for about a half hour, both at idle and in gear. I'm guessing some gunk made it's way in somehow. The fuel lines looked to be in good shape, I believe they were replaced recently. The plugs are new and correct, the little fuel filter was fine too. I still have to get a few spare parts. I would like to find out if I can replace the plastic prop cap with a castle nut as well. I don't know if I'll mount the seats, or how if I do. These little boats have foam in the benches. I would also like to go to a newer 15hp 4, but that won't be this summer.

How's the fuel bulb look? Did it get firm enough when you primed it before starting? They can and do go bad over time, and will allow enough fuel through to start after priming, but then restrict flow to keep it from running.

And yes, you should be fine replacing the prop cap with a castle nut, or make your own by drilling some cross holes in a regular nut. You may have to use a washer or two to get proper torque on the prop though.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Old Balls McGee posted:

Hi boat thread. I bought a little fishing boat. Babbys first.

12" Mirrocraft, Utility V 4602. The cowl is wrong, it's the 10hp. According to the S/N, one of the first runs. I do have the right cowl, but it doesn't want to fit properly.
It came with the original gas tank. I'm having a tough time finding a cap that will fit. Quite a few of the parts are no longer available for this motor. I will likely get a new tank though.

I got the last prop cap on ebay, it seems. It will be here in a few days.The trailer is almost as old as I am, and it needed some work. It was also too long to fit in the garage.

The old hardware is also no longer available.

I cut the trailer down, moved what I had and it fits fine in the garage. I gotta clean up the wiring a little but it all works.

I bought everything off the BIL, who for some reason gave me the friends and family deal. I had the boat out solo on a little lake nearby. Well, slough really. It is central Alberta in July. The motor gave me some trouble, which was odd. It never gave the BIL any, and since he had his newer boat a mechanic friend of his has had it for the last year. I'm not sure what was up. It wouldn't run for more that 5-10 seconds, and needed the choke even though it was warm. It cleared itself out after a bit and ran fine. I decided not to risk it and headed home.

Looking forward to fishing without having to be invited by boat having friends

Very cool little fishing boat. For the trailer, have you looked at a breakaway tongue? Adding one might allow you to fit it into the garage without angling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Triple posting:

Pulled off the tape, and out into the sun.

Immediately regretted not cleaning off the work table better before putting the pirogue down on it.

This is an old post but awesome... What plans did you use to build this? What tools? I've got a friend with a reasonable woodworking setup who might be willing to help me.