Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violen posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioMaker/comments/c5jlyw/new_powerup_leak_spoiler/

So this is a thing. Allegedly a shop in France broke street date and one receiver played a chunk of story mode and had this power-up unlocked, the Superball from SML in the SMB skin. The early copy thing has been vetted as real by various people completely independent of this leak, so there's that context, and as someone degenerate enough to belong to the MM Discord server because I'm that hungry for any and all things related to this game, the way this went down seems pretty drat solid. The person who leaked it has been posting like 100 per-request screenshots of the game, the story lines up perfectly, and the footage itself is, well, the footage itself. I don't think there's much to the whole usual 'phone at an angle' warning flag other than they aren't online for obvious reasons and don't wanna use the capture feature and gently caress with SD transfer to try and adhoc appease a massive server that's currently exploding over this in real time. Plus the server has all the usual true Mario Maker murderheads pouring over it and the little things just seem to make it more likely to be genuine. So if this is real, and with the hammer/builder suit power-up being confirmed 3D World exclusive and a story mode unlock, I'm going to go ahead and behave like a reasonable adult and get really hyped at the possibility of each skin seeing its own unlockable power-up from story mode.

I can’t decide if this makes a SML1 theme more or less likely. It’s cool though. That was a really unique power up and it’ll be fun in this engine.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm so loving excited! Obviously not reading spoilers or text dumps.

Haven't played Mario Maker 1, so not sure what that thread was, but I assume people were sharing their levels and all that? Because that sounds incredible. Always nice to have a place for good levels (or at least levels where people try) and following each other. Sometimes I enjoy weird garbage and those strange levels I saw on Youtube, but I would imagine they get old real quickly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do we know if Peepa's are unlocked from the start or are they just boo options? They showed up in the 3D World clips during the direct but nobody comments on them, and I don't see them in enemy wheels.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 26, 2019

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It just occurred to me: there's no way to stream from an undocked switch, is there?

So youtube videos / level builders that stream are all going to have to use the awful looking docked level builder controls. That sucks.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

It just occurred to me: there's no way to stream from an undocked switch, is there?

So youtube videos / level builders that stream are all going to have to use the awful looking docked level builder controls. That sucks.

co-op building means you can have one docked switch for streaming and one undocked switch for making

obviously this uh, requires owning two switches

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A quick solution to that would be to do a multiplayer build session, one person docked (and their screen recorded), the other person actually building using the stylus. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, and DOES require two switches plus two copies of the game, but :shrug:

Also, I am so loving excited for this game. The last time I felt this goddamned excited wasn't for Skyrim, it wasn't for New Vegas... It was motherfucking Perfect Dark 64. The original. I read up and anticipated that thing for months, probably well over a year, and I wasn't actually disappointed at all. The low framerate was expected at the time, so that wasn't a big deal.

I won't even be able to play it this weekend, but I'm super, super pumped. Two more days!!

Also, I never really played SML, so what's the big deal with this powerup? Is it hinting at a new gametype?

I really, really hope they eventually put in SMB2. Making custom levels in and around Subcon, having to place Hawkmouth (and maybe making it evil? :getin:), just designing the weirdest types of levels from the weirdest Mario game in the serious would just be wonderful.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope we get the Mario is Missing level theme

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Argue posted:

I hope we get the Mario is Missing level theme

Only if I get to put in inane questions about the legality of photographing the Eiffel Tower at night.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, I never really played SML, so what's the big deal with this powerup?

The Superball was SML's version of the Fire Flower, but you could only throw one ball at a time, it'd bounce off blocks and the ball wasn't affected by gravity so after the first bounce off the ground it'd fly off the top of the screen unless it hit the underside of a block.

Oh, and it could pick up coins too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Violen posted:

Plus the server has all the usual true Mario Maker murderheads pouring over it

The word is poring my dude

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
What controllers are you all planning to use for this game?

I considered picking up something with a decent d-pad, but I know I'll be playing a lot undocked so I may just try and get used to platforming on the joystick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icedude posted:

The Superball was SML's version of the Fire Flower, but you could only throw one ball at a time, it'd bounce off blocks and the ball wasn't affected by gravity so after the first bounce off the ground it'd fly off the top of the screen unless it hit the underside of a block.

Oh, and it could pick up coins too.

Oh, weird; I knew about the ball from SML1, I just thought this leak was referencing some other actually-super ball, that might've been an enhanced version of the original. So, basically, SMM2 has the ball from SML1? That's pretty cool!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheAardvark posted:

I considered picking up something with a decent d-pad, but I know I'll be playing a lot undocked so I may just try and get used to platforming on the joystick.
Probably just the Joy-Cons while playing in bed. I splashed out and spent FOUR WHOLE DOLLARS on a stylus today in preparation, though. It's one of those ones where the stylus is also a lid for a cruddy pen!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I had that superball leak pegged as a fake but now others have confirmed it so that’s exciting to see. This may affect my day 1 plans a bit. Guess I’m going to have to rush through story mode.

This just makes me wish for the ice flower even more. Come on Nintendo, this should be a no-brainer.

TheAardvark posted:

I guess I’m going to see how things go with the pro controller’s lovely d-pad. I managed to get through NSMBUD with it. I had purchased that 8bitdo adapter thing hoping to use a DualShock 4 but there was noticeable input lag with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

It's one of those ones where the stylus is also a lid for a cruddy pen!

Oh hold on now... I might be able to get one of those from work :toot:

EDIT: In terms of powerups, they really should just completely render NSMBUD obsolete and throw in the Squirrel and Penguin suits. Is the propeller suit in there?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TheAardvark posted:

i've got the sn30 from 8bitdo for 2d games, the d-pad and buttons on it are real nice in my experience

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Oh hold on now... I might be able to get one of those from work :toot:

EDIT: In terms of powerups, they really should just completely render NSMBUD obsolete and throw in the Squirrel and Penguin suits. Is the propeller suit in there?

Propeller is the only unique power up that is there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Propeller is the only unique power up that is there.

No frog suit? :ohdear:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm sure the docked controls will be fine, all the complaints seem to be from people who refused to even try and adapt to them

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Ignite Memories posted:

The word is poring my dude

Maybe.

Or maybe...

Anyway, the loving Propeller Suit being the NSMBU rep is still the lamest thing in MM.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nope. Apart from the couple of unlockables every game type just has the mushroom, fire flower, and one unique power up (big mushroom, leaf, feather, propellor hat, cat suit).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

From IGN

IGN posted:

Maker's Mark

But this is Super Mario Maker 2 after all, not Super Mario Castle Repair Simulator. It comes as no surprise that the section dedicated to crafting your own Super Mario levels is superb. Any concerns I had about controller-based input versus the 3DS and Wii U’s touch input melted away after a short period of adjustment. I actually grew to prefer using the controller to build levels over handheld’s touch input - not because touch is bad, but because using the controller is so good. There is a gentle learning curve, one that's easy to overcome, and once I got the hang of it, I couldn't go back.

Quite the opposite of GameXplain who apparently can not get over the control difference.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

TheAardvark posted:

Dualshock 4 with the 8-bitdo adapter and the vibrator connections cut. Why? Mostly because we live in Bizarro World where Sony makes an excellent d-pad, and Nintendo Switch d-pads all suck horribly.

I cut the vibrator leads because controller vibration in any form is annoying at best, and distracting and battery killing at worst, and for some reason the 8-bitdo and dualshock4 combo always vibrates even with all Switch vibrate settings off.

anyway, my body is ready.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

From IGN

Quite the opposite of GameXplain who apparently can not get over the control difference.

I feel like GameXplain has played WAY too much SMM2 to still have this complaint, so I don't get it.

And I know IGN is :rolleyes: but I can't think of a reason they'd lie about this specific thing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
One thing controller-level-building will definitely be better at is creating straight lines of blocks. Might seem like a small detail but think about most Mario levels. They're mostly comprised of straight lines.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 26, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

One thing controller-level-building will definitely be better at is creating straight lines of blocks. Might seem like a small detail but think about most Mario levels. They're mostly comprised of straight lines.

For those moments I just would put the stylus on the screen and then move the camera instead.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

A quick solution to that would be to do a multiplayer build session, one person docked (and their screen recorded), the other person actually building using the stylus. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, and DOES require two switches plus two copies of the game, but :shrug:

Also, I am so loving excited for this game. The last time I felt this goddamned excited wasn't for Skyrim, it wasn't for New Vegas... It was motherfucking Perfect Dark 64. The original. I read up and anticipated that thing for months, probably well over a year, and I wasn't actually disappointed at all. The low framerate was expected at the time, so that wasn't a big deal.

I won't even be able to play it this weekend, but I'm super, super pumped. Two more days!!

I've already got a note on my phone with like 20 different level ideas.

Including the SMB1 8-3 homage that literally everybody hated in Mario Maker 1 and is also going to get bad reviews here. Get hype, world

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel like GameXplain has played WAY too much SMM2 to still have this complaint, so I don't get it.

And I know IGN is :rolleyes: but I can't think of a reason they'd lie about this specific thing.

Andre's levels kind of suck tbh. He's not really a very good creator. He talks in his review about how he made 3/4 of a level only to realize the course element he wanted most was not available in the style he was making... and I'm like... I guess your skipped designing the level before you heat started making? You didn't check that? And not being able to move sections between sub-area seemed to really hurt him. I'm sure it would be nice to copy and paste between areas but how the heck are you creating in the wrong sub-area?

His levels get a ton of likes because he's popular on social media. His most popular one which was an attempt at a Kaizo level, Super Meat Mario, is not really a good kaizo level.

Another controller take I saw from Alex Olney was different from both IGN and GameXplain, he said the controls were good but had a steep learning curve geared towards power users.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Glad to hear the non-touch building may not be as bad as it was made out to be.

I just ordered this, a left-joycon replacement with an actual D-Pad and decent reviews. Free same day delivery :getin: I'll let y'all know if it turns out to be trash for platforming.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-D-Pad-C...=gateway&sr=8-2

I actually have an SN30 I use for playing roms on my PC. I'll have to see if I have the right version to sync it to my Switch, I forgot that was a possibility. If so that'll probably be my default for docked play.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The Super Ball and the Hammer letting you throw blocks both loving own. I cannot wait.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

TheAardvark posted:

I just ordered this, a left-joycon replacement with an actual D-Pad and decent reviews. Free same day delivery :getin: I'll let y'all know if it turns out to be trash for platforming.

I have this and I like it a lot. For me it’s now a must have for playing 2D platformers undocked.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

Glad to hear the non-touch building may not be as bad as it was made out to be.

I actually have an SN30 I use for playing roms on my PC. I'll have to see if I have the right version to sync it to my Switch, I forgot that was a possibility. If so that'll probably be my default for docked play.

"Let's make a decent d-pad joy-con for the Switch but only in a garish Zelda theme. Ok fine, just so people have an option, let's also make one that's black with a bunch of weird yellow lightning bolts on it."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 26, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GreatGreen posted:

"Let's make a decent d-pad joy-con for the Switch but only in a garish Zelda theme. Ok fine, just so people have an option, let's also make one that's black with a shitload of weird yellow lightning bolts on it."

They made Zelda, Mario, and Pikachu joycons, three of Nintendo's famous characters.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

They made Zelda, Mario, and Pikachu joycons, three of Nintendo's famous characters.

Yeah I get that. I just think it would have been nice if they made one in a theme that wasn't hideous.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

GreatGreen posted:

"Let's make a decent d-pad joy-con for the Switch but only in a garish Zelda theme. Ok fine, just so people have an option, let's also make one that's black with a bunch of weird yellow lightning bolts on it."

I had the exact same thought. I've got a black right joy-con so at least it semi-matches, but all the options blow. I'd have gone with the Mario one match or no but it had a delivery date of like next Monday.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Silly q, but this is the first Switch game I've been hype enough to jump in immediately. When will the game be available for download online? Midnight EST tomorrow?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Most games get added to the eshop late morning the day of (give or take for timezones)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
This says official Nintendo titles are midnight EST:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12968/~/nintendo-eshop-pre-purchase-and-pre-load-faq

quote:

You'll be able to start playing it after downloading a small update, beginning at 12:00 a.m. ET on the game's release date. (Please note that some third-party titles are not available until 12:00 p.m. PT on the game’s release date.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm listening to GameXplain's full review, and I think Andre's whining a bit too much about the non-touch controls. Get over it, man. I can already tell that I'm not going to have that much of an issue when using them.

Though a fill option would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
In SMM1 we had the amazing Goons Make Mario site. Given that miiverse went out to buy some milk, is there going to be a better way to engorge myself on all the goon levels than a google spreadsheet?