Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lycus posted:

What is different about "common and neuter" and two genders?
Common's both, neuter's neither. So maybe a language had masculine, feminine, and neuter, but masculine and feminine merged, leaving common and neuter. Or maybe that only happened for some classes of words, so you have common and neuter and vestigial masculine and feminine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Lycus posted:

What is different about "common and neuter" and two genders?

Common: masculine and feminine have merged into one grammatical gender, neuter is retained.

Two genders (on the map): neuter has fallen out of use, only masculine and feminine are left.

Tei posted:

I think genderless is a superior system. Is just distracting to give a gender to things like a lamp.

I don't think it serves any function and it's a pain in the rear end when you're learning a language like German where there's almost no way of knowing which gender a word has other than memorization.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Guavanaut posted:

Depends what you're doing with it :pervert:

haha

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Grevling posted:

I don't think it serves any function and it's a pain in the rear end when you're learning a language like German where there's almost no way of knowing which gender a word has other than memorization.
Try learning a language where the genders are sometime the opposite of the genders in your native and as gendered language.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There are advantages to having several genders for things:
1. It helps people understand that gender is not the same thing as sex.
2. It can disambiguate pronouns. E.g. in English "if you put this gizmo in this thingamajig, it will do something" it's not clear if the "it" is the gizmo or the thingamajig.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

2. It can disambiguate pronouns. E.g. in English "if you put this gizmo in this thingamajig, it will do something" it's not clear if the "it" is the gizmo or the thingamajig.

Languages without gender manage to convey 2 unambiguously so YOU SUCK LMAO.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
It's almost as if languages aren't necessarily designed from the ground up for maximum logic and utility.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Language was a mistake.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Groke posted:

It's almost as if languages aren't necessarily designed from the ground up for maximum logic and utility.
Listen we could all speak Esperanto and live with it happy but languages built from the to top to the ground for maximum logic and utility are super nerdy and not cool apparently. Qapla'!

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 26, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Mattress posted:

“It” is the thingamajig.

Proximity rules.

Relying on a flip of a coin to give you nouns of differing genders is not great and certainly not worth the problems grammatical gender creates.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Groke posted:

Let me tell you about loglan.

Toplowtech posted:

Listen we could all speak Esperanto and live with it happy but languages built from the to top to the ground for maximum logic and utility are super nerdy and not cool apparently. Qapla'!
Let me tell you about the three loglan speakers.

Kennel posted:

Language was a mistake.
👍

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Let me tell you about loglan.
Loglan(1955), more like Logban(1987), i am rite? :mrgw:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

I am a gigantically uncool nerd myself but I've known, like, one Esperantist and that guy was beyond the uncool event horizon even from where I'm standing. So it goes.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I like it when languages aren't logical. Give me languages that are like ancient houses: kinda run-down, lived in by tons of different people, the architecture makes no sense because twenty consecutive generations continually built and rebuilt it, the stairs creak, the plumbing is in desperate need of an overhaul but nobody knows where the pipes actually *are*, some say that ghosts are haunting the basement... and people love it to death because of all that :v:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Mä aikoinaan pidin Englantia hienona kielenä mutta oikeastaan se on vain kasa jämiä mantereelta. Suomen kieli on hienompi, vähemmän jämiä.

I used to think English is a great language but really it's just a bunch of junk from the continent. Finnish is much better, because it has less junk.

Esperanto is a failed language, because it has no culture, no mythology, no life. Quenya, Klingon and Dothraki, are all better and have more life in them than Esperanto.

*I still like English partly because of the junk

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

Relying on a flip of a coin to give you nouns of differing genders is not great and certainly not worth the problems grammatical gender creates.

Counterpoint: we can laugh at the mistakes non-native speakers do, and that's worth every inconvenience.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the only language worth its salt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3OZCXyrbTY

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BXSkigN45w

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

doverhog posted:

*I still like English partly because of the junk

Yeah, it's kind of cute in a cartoon version of Frankenstein's Monster kind of way, ill-fitting parts all stitched together.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Weep, ye mortals, and listen to the language of the gods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEkI0cH_rK4

(In the original they're speaking AAVE, which for the German dub was replaced by them speaking a really thick Bavarian :v:)

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

English speakers talking about gendered language like it’s dumb, when it uses so many uncountable nouns. Why can’t I have 2 breads, or talk about the advices I receive, or go do my homeworks?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Redczar posted:

English speakers talking about gendered language like it’s dumb, when it uses so many uncountable nouns. Why can’t I have 2 breads, or talk about the advices I receive, or go do my homeworks?

You can have two breads though. Rye and white for instance. You can have multiple advices, but typically in a business or law context. And you can certainly have multiple homeworks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Honestly english is great because it's so complicated that no one makes fun of bad english anymore, it's just par for the course. Maybe a little ribbing but not like actual anger like you can get for loving up mandarin or french.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Basically we have a global lingua franca these days, and it's bad English. Being able to speak bad English is very useful, and the marginal benefit of improving your English beyond bad through good and towards perfect shrinks quite noticeably as your skill improves.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

English can get fun when you contort it. Like I'dn't've thought contractions could be so useful.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a successful international language spoken by many people, it's called METAR. It's used to describe a weather situation.

All you would have to add would be a letter or number code for tense and you could use METAR to tell allegorical stories to express yourself.

For instance a METAR valentine for your sweetie might say inside the card

The past: a snowy day at Des Moines International Airport. Many degrees below freezing, heavy winds, low visibility.

The present: a sunny day at Miami International Airport. Perfect temperature. Just a little wind. You can see very far down the runway.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I was curious about a bunch of war stuff today and I thought I'd share some maps I looked at, have at it. :)

Conscription:

Number of military personnel:

Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Esperanto is poo poo Italian invented by extremely racist Europeans and it sucks in every way imaginable. It isn't even phonemically spelled SMHD.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
latino sino flexione solves that issue by having a history to draw on but not involving slavs in any way

Kamrat posted:

I was curious about a bunch of war stuff today and I thought I'd share some maps I looked at, have at it. :)

Conscription:

i could have sworn turkey had mandatory service of some form

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also Frank Esperanto (the guy who took Wolapük and made it even worse) was so suck-lovely he ended up in the only Esperantese Sci-Fi novel I know of. He destroyed all life on earth except a guy and a baltic herring.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tree Goat posted:

latino sino flexione solves that issue by having a history to draw on but not involving slavs in any way

yeah i knew a dude in high school who had to do his turkish service, though maybe it's only for dual citizens?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

yeah i knew a dude in high school who had to do his turkish service, though maybe it's only for dual citizens?

Janissary detected

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Groke posted:

Basically we have a global lingua franca these days, and it's bad English. Being able to speak bad English is very useful, and the marginal benefit of improving your English beyond bad through good and towards perfect shrinks quite noticeably as your skill improves.

It depends on your field, n'est-ce pas? Speaking bad English is very useful when you're trying to get an international business deal done, but if you're an anthropologist giving a talk at a conference I imagine you'd definitely want to up your English game.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Most of the people you think (because you're a horrible racist) speak "bad English" speak better English than you ever will. HTH.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Tree Goat posted:

It's copied straight from wikipedia, it appears to be last edited today with this source attached here.

This is the old map:

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 26, 2019

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Perhaps a less value-laden way of phrasing this would be "functional English." Whether English is bad or good depends, of course, on what you're trying to achieve. I, personally, am hoping to use language to achieve social status as befits my magnificent peerage.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Jehde posted:

English can get fun when you contort it. Like I'dn't've thought contractions could be so useful.

Ya'll'll've come to regret it one day

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Most of the people you think (because you're a horrible racist) speak "bad English" speak better English than you ever will. HTH.

Actually, no, they don't. English isn't even my first language, I do speak it better than the vast majority of people for whom it is a second language, though. This is not because I'm a racist but because I've had a lot of practice at it.

By comparison, my third language is German, at which I am horribly, comically bad despite taking it for years in school (because school was ages ago and I've not had one-thousandth as much practice as I have had with English) and can barely manage to communicate simple concepts, and half-way follow speaking heads on TV when they're reading the news slowly and clearly. And I don't even have a fourth language.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
With a heatwave comming to europe, maybe is a good idea to post this extremely cool website

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=40.6;6.5;5&l=temperature-2m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kamrat posted:

Number of military personnel:

That one would probably be more useful if it were per capita.