Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

- The replacement of dollar bills with coinage

Oh hell the gently caress no. So you replace pocket change with more pocket change? I hope to one day live in a world where nobody has to carry a coin purse or fumble around in their pocket to pay a common currency amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Carrying 1 and 2 dollar coins is SO much better than dealing with stacks of stupid dollar bills holy poo poo dude

That poo poo was annoying in Korea and it's annoying in the US.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
dollars at least fit in wallets, what the gently caress am I gonna do with coins.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Who the gently caress carries any kind of cash?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

BigDave posted:

I propose the American Modernization Act!

- Revocation of Daylight Savings Time
- A five year period to phase in the metric system
- The US Mint to stop creating new pennies
I really wish a candidate pushed for this stuff. Eliminating DST and eliminating small coins would entertain broad popular support and would be a way to give lie to the mindset that says government can't make positive change in people's lives.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Make $5s coins too and dump everything smaller than a quarter

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

Make $5s coins too and dump everything smaller than a quarter

Japan does this (the $5 coin) and it ruled. I don't usually carry money but dollar/5 dollar bills are dumb as poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kill the penny. It's loving stupid. Mandate poo poo rounds up or down to the nearest 5 cent mark.

Dollar coins are fine. Just make people use the loving things instead of stuffing them in their closet for grandkids because "dollar coins are so rare now." We don't need our own Twonie though.

Fallom posted:

Yo. How do you think pot farms pay their employees when they can't get a business bank account? It's why almost every dispensary has an ATM.

There are a few credit unions in state that handle some weed banking, but that poo poo is almost entirely cash business. It's why private security companies in Denver whore to the veteran community.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 26, 2019

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kill the physical nickel while you're at it. I can't remember the last transaction I had where a nickel was the deciding factor in the total (not per-item) price.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Looks like Caban pulled it off, she's up by 1.3% with 92% reporting

https://twitter.com/alexisgoldstein/status/1143696061472620544

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/25/us/elections/results-queens-district-attorney-primary-election.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Carrying 1 and 2 dollar coins is SO much better than dealing with stacks of stupid dollar bills holy poo poo dude

That poo poo was annoying in Korea and it's annoying in the US.

Korea uses plenty of coins. I think 1000 - 5000krw are in coin form.

Also how the hell am I supposed to change coins between currency? Basically nobody accepts coins for currency exchange, so I have a bunch of random euro, pound, and 100¥ coins just hanging out. There's no international coinstar.

e:

Fallom posted:

Japan basically still runs almost entirely on cash unless you're in Tokyo or Osaka, and even then it's still needed in a lot of restaurants.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 26, 2019

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

BigDave posted:

I propose the American Modernization Act!

- Revocation of Daylight Savings Time
- A five year period to phase in the metric system
- The US Mint to stop creating new pennies

Sold

E: using coins to pay for buses and poo poo in Scotland was pretty convenient. Literally every physical store/pub had tap-to-pay for cards so you could carry a little cash and be set.

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 26, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

Also how the hell am I supposed to change coins between currency? Basically nobody accepts coins for currency exchange, so I have a bunch of random euro, pound, and 100¥ coins just hanging out. There's no international coinstar.

Those are throwin' coins. Whip 'em at people that needs the attention of an international hail storm.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fallom posted:

People who want to help out the homeless you capitalist pig. :thermidor:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

psydude posted:

Oh hell the gently caress no. So you replace pocket change with more pocket change? I hope to one day live in a world where nobody has to carry a coin purse or fumble around in their pocket to pay a common currency amount.

As someone that moves money in bulk on a daily basis.

No. Just no. Don't replace dollar bills with coin

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I can just see assholes pelting strippers with $1 coins already.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

:cripes: forever

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That is definitely a dude who hasn't heard the word no in over 20 years

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

Going to UTC would be fine for me but I suspect there's a LOT of programming that would have to happen.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/cabanforqueens/status/1143721257353076737?s=21

This election is really interesting.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

I'll take your random pound coins, gonna need 'em for grad school.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

In an Edmonton strip club in Canada, I drunkenly winged $1 CAD coins at a stripper and demanded to see her birth canal. I got thrown out.

Mixing pain killers, Go Pills, and Crown Royal made me a real piece of poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Elmnt80 posted:

This is called 'making it hail' and is usually handfuls of nickels and pennies.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

In an Edmonton strip club in Canada, I drunkenly winged $1 CAD coins at a stripper and demanded to see her birth canal. I got thrown out.

Mixing pain killers, Go Pills, and Crown Royal made me a real piece of poo poo.

You had me going until you said they threw you out.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MPs: What happens when you mix the dumbest parts of the military with the dumbest parts of law enforcement.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
lol that piece of poo poo MP took the nametape off his cap.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Lawton's best

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

pmchem posted:

Kill the physical nickel while you're at it. I can't remember the last transaction I had where a nickel was the deciding factor in the total (not per-item) price.

I vote for three-dollar bills the size of Monopoly money, also square coin worth a buck-fifty, and nickels and dimes replaced with a “trickle” worth $.15.

Get rid of $1 bills and make $5 bills as rare as $2 bills are now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dingleberry posted:

and nickels and dimes replaced with a “trickle” worth $.15.

Only if president deals is on it.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Only if president deals is on it.

I’m thinking a profile of Ivanka on one side to recognize the gains and sacrifices women have made in public service and on the other Mar A Lago.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It's a drat shame Sen Inouye is dead because I'd love to see the sort of call he'd give the base commander over that crap.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dingleberry posted:

I’m thinking a profile of Ivanka on one side to recognize the gains and sacrifices women have made in public service and on the other Mar A Lago.

I was just recently reminded in another thread of the insane bullshit where Mr. Toadstool-dick pointed to an empty window on live national television and said "She's right there everything is fine ignore what your lying eyes tell you."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

McNally posted:

I'll take your random pound coins, gonna need 'em for grad school.

A lot of them are worthless since they reissued the pound a year or two ago.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

psydude posted:

Korea uses plenty of coins. I think 1000 - 5000krw are in coin form.

Nah son. They only have the 10-500krw coins. Bills are 1000-50000krw (1 dollar-50 dollars)

The tenners have a picture of Sejong the Great and my stupid friends and I always took great amusement at slapping down Sejongs at the bar.

Shim, flicking loonies and toonies at strippers is a time honored Canadian tradition. Some will specialize in the "coin slot" where they try and grab them between their asscheeks when you throw them.
As long as you don't whip coins it's perfectly fine. You will get violently ejected if you throw them with force.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

It's a drat shame Sen Inouye is dead because I'd love to see the sort of call he'd give the base commander over that crap.

Seriously.

That MP was stupid as gently caress.

"Are you going to arrest us?"
"No..."
"Then we're not going to move."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Handsome Ralph posted:

Seriously.

That MP was stupid as gently caress.

"Are you going to arrest us?"
"No..."
"Then we're not going to move."

one weird trick to get an MP to gently caress off

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

psydude posted:

A lot of them are worthless since they reissued the pound a year or two ago.

Wait what? I didn't think you could devalue legal tender, just try to take it out of circulation. Like here I'm pretty sure 1c and 2c peices are still legal tender, you just can't get new ones and banks aren't supposed to let them back out into circulation.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Wait what? I didn't think you could devalue legal tender, just try to take it out of circulation. Like here I'm pretty sure 1c and 2c peices are still legal tender, you just can't get new ones and banks aren't supposed to let them back out into circulation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/2132666/old-pound-coins-expiry-deadline/
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-a7391706.html

India recently did something similar where they invalidated and reissued a number of bank notes due to rampant counterfeiting.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

eww what's with you people wanting more coins? I hated ones and twos being coins when I was stationed in Europe, bills fit neatly in wallets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Bills are dumb and vending machines don't need those finicky bill readers either