Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol China is banning all Canadian meat imports.

I guess they have all that delicious melamine to eat instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
She warned us yesterday

https://twitter.com/CBCTheNational/status/1143237354292781056?s=19

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

Today in OnPol:

https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/1143584793122299904

Doug Ford just can't get those appointments sorted out

I honestly don't think Ford himself takes too much of a bit from this when his reaction has basically been "Are you loving kidding me? Get out!" to the whole batch.

Not like that issue last year with the OPP or whatever.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ah China... Well, can't say I'm surprised.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

Tory meddling could cost MPI millions, boost Autopac rates

TLDR; Manitoba Crown Car Insurance corp which works currently by selling car insurance through private insurers at their storefronts was slated to move online and sell insurance directly through the MPI website. Private insurers successfully lobbied the Manitoba PC government directly to intervene in the Crown Corp directly(something they said they would never do) and not allow this because it would have eaten into all their profits.

So this is definitely BS, but...

quote:

The Pallister government has directed Manitoba Public Insurance to give complete control of its future online product sales to insurance brokers, a move that could cost the corporation an extra $23 million over five years and boost Autopac rates, according to documents obtained by the Free Press.

Is 4.5m/year *really* material on the scale of a public insurer? ICBC (obviously a different province) collects over 5b/year in premiums and another 0.5 - 1.0b in investment income, so this would represent less than 1/1000th of revenue.

Manitoba has ballpark 20% the population, so what... 1/200th of revenue? $5-6 per year?

Edit: (1.3m vs 5.0m, about 25%!)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

periodic reminder that Justin Trudeau is going to win a majority government in 2019

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

Is 4.5m/year *really* material on the scale of a public insurer? ICBC (obviously a different province) collects over 5b/year in premiums and another 0.5 - 1.0b in investment income, so this would represent less than 1/1000th of revenue.

Finally found a year-old MPI annual report, 1.3b in gross revenue, so 4.5m = 0.35%.

1,125,000 policies, so $4 each.

(BC also has issues around the whole "cutting out agents from no-change online renewals that unfortunately don't exist" thing.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

THC posted:

periodic reminder that Justin Trudeau is going to win a majority government in 2019

When the alternative is a pro life sack of potatoes with all the charisma of a worm, I'm still annoyed we dont have better leadership in this country. We deserve better from elected officials

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

James Baud posted:

I honestly don't think Ford himself takes too much of a bit from this when his reaction has basically been "Are you loving kidding me? Get out!" to the whole batch.

Not like that issue last year with the OPP or whatever.

Yes, being completely clueless as to who his chief of staff has been shoving into the dozens of new appointments is definitely an improvement over his previously undeniable cronyism. Definitely speaks to his abilities as an administrator and a man running a tight ship.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

THC posted:

I'd say minority. Though majority of certainly still possible.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

THC posted:

He is? poo poo, I already resigned myself to Scheer.

it's gonna be scheer

I really love oscillating between the mostly incompetent reprehensible party with the blatantly evil gently caress ups. Real invogorating politcs.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

justin is fine, it's fine, everything's fine :tif:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

James Baud posted:

So this is definitely BS, but...

Manitoba has ballpark 20% the population, so what... 1/200th of revenue? $5-6 per year?

Edit: (1.3m vs 5.0m, about 25%!)

The wording is awkward but it costs them 23m more over five years to sell online through brokers versus a 237m savings over five years by going all through MPIs website. A quarter of a billion is a huge difference, especially for a government that has forced austerity through every means possible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the irony of a Liberal defeat due to a vote split between them and the NDP handing victory to the Conservatives would be satisfying, but not so satisfying that I'd actually want to wish several years of Conservative government on the country. We shouldn't be made to suffer for the Liberal's hubris.

(If they end up with a minority government due to vote splitting though, I would not be surprised if they suddenly realize that electoral reform is actually a super important issue that needs to be addressed immediately)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm excited to find out that my plan to marry my boyfriend next year is going to fall through because enough people are so loving stupid that they'll actually elect Scheer and ensure gay marriage and abortion rights are repealed. I can't loving wait.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Danaru posted:

I'm excited to find out that my plan to marry my boyfriend next year is going to fall through because enough people are so loving stupid that they'll actually elect Scheer and ensure gay marriage and abortion rights are repealed. I can't loving wait.

I thought gays didn't have to worry about abortions. :thunk:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Or shotgun weddings!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Danaru posted:

That's not going to happen he'll be bad but not in these specific ways.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

The wording is awkward but it costs them 23m more over five years to sell online through brokers versus a 237m savings over five years by going all through MPIs website. A quarter of a billion is a huge difference, especially for a government that has forced austerity through every means possible.

Austerity doesn't matter when private businesses can make more money, you know this!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

THC posted:

Booo

Hiss

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

(If they end up with a minority government due to vote splitting though, I would not be surprised if they suddenly realize that electoral reform is actually a super important issue that needs to be addressed immediately)

Nah, they'll just wait their loving turn.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

When the alternative is a pro life sack of potatoes with all the charisma of a worm, I'm still annoyed we dont have better leadership in this country. We deserve better from elected officials

Wow rude. Worms can at least entice fish to come near them.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's probably what makes our election so bad. Right now, the 3 person who can claim to have a shot at being the next PM are a poster boy, a sack of potatoes and a mute. One of those will "lead" the country for up to 5 extremely critical years with the environment crisis going on.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I went to an event tonight hosted by Don Davies, loooongtime NDP MP for Kensington here in Vancouver.

Among the many surprising moments tonight was where he agreed with an audience member that goals for 2030 were too far out and that we're facing the near term extinction of the human race if we do not act decisively immediately.

A federal MP, who sits in Ottawa, stood in front of an audience of 100+ and said we are completely hosed and the bottom up reorganization of our society was the only way forwards. My jaw hit the loving floor, goons. Like, goddamn, Suzuki is one thing. Federal politician talking like Rime in public? That's wild.

I caught him at the end and we ended up talking for a good half an hour afterwards, outside the venue. If that guy was leading the NDP I'd actually have hope that we can pull this poo poo together, he very thoroughly understands the poo poo we're in.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Rime posted:

I went to an event tonight hosted by Don Davies, loooongtime NDP MP for Kensington here in Vancouver.

Among the many surprising moments tonight was where he agreed with an audience member that goals for 2030 were too far out and that we're facing the near term extinction of the human race if we do not act decisively immediately.

A federal MP, who sits in Ottawa, stood in front of an audience of 100+ and said we are completely hosed and the bottom up reorganization of our society was the only way forwards. My jaw hit the loving floor, goons. Like, goddamn, Suzuki is one thing. Federal politician talking like Rime in public? That's wild.

I caught him at the end and we ended up talking for a good half an hour afterwards, outside the venue. If that guy was leading the NDP I'd actually have hope that we can pull this poo poo together, he very thoroughly understands the poo poo we're in.

Most of them do.
I cornered Cullen in a townhall ages ago and he talked up those same issues. But it’s just talk. The party leadership keeps any MP from going too far left. So they’ll talk up a big game in intimate settings but it never plays into the official party line.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Same at an Ottawa forum on the changing labor market. Guy Caron subbed for Charlie Angus at the last minute. There were reps from unions as well.

Caron was sticking mostly to the party talking points during the presentations, but was quite candid in (heated) discussions afterwards. Earned my respect.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

A buddy of mine is Caron’s constituent in Rimouski. Apparently he surfed in unexpectedly during the orange wave and decided he would do a hell of a job. Sold his house (in either Québec or Montréal) and moved out to the sticks within the month.

He’s apparently been really accepted into the community and might become a solid NDP seat as a result.

Saw him in a park in Vancouver where a couple of candidates for NDP leadership were making pitches. His was pretty sweet but no one listened :(.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kraftwerk posted:

Most of them do.
I cornered Cullen in a townhall ages ago and he talked up those same issues. But it’s just talk. The party leadership keeps any MP from going too far left. So they’ll talk up a big game in intimate settings but it never plays into the official party line.

The problem with decades in politics is MP's end up thinking that spending years writing bills and working on deals which end up dying on the order paper is bringing about the change necessary for society, and that being too radical would damage their ability to work on that positive change. I liked Cullen once, I thought he had massive potential to shake things up. He did his best to never stir the pot, and is retiring with the constituency he represents measurably worse off than before his election in every way.

These guys should have lead a hard internal coup after the Mulcair disaster, when it was the clear the NDP was being strangled by its own establishment. Instead they have Jagmeet and not a loving hope of meaningfully halting this train. :shrug:

Still, hearing a federal MP publically agree that we're on the verge of near term extinction. Goddamn.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rime posted:

Still, hearing a federal MP publically agree that we're on the verge of near term extinction. Goddamn.

Are we really on the verge of near term extinction?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Are we really on the verge of near term extinction?

We've known we've been for years

quote:

today we add about 228,000 people to the planet (births minus deaths) and we owe this to to our infinite growth mentality. Today we push nearly 200 species towards extinction daily. Today upwards of 90% of the large fish in the oceans are gone. Today we’ve dammed most of the worlds rivers. Today polar ice caps are melting and sea levels are rising. Today we care more about our economy than the planet that supports it. Today we are already dead, we just don’t realize it yet. Those are strong words but nothing in our behavior nor the facts on the ground prove otherwise. We will go the way of the Dodo and by the same hand that sent it packing.

The "today" here being late 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

We've known we've been for years

The "today" here being late 2015

I'm gonna take the fact that you linked me to an off-grid homesteaders blog post rather than anything with a tinge of scientific consensus as a strong "no".

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I'm gonna take the fact that you linked me to an off-grid homesteaders blog post rather than anything with a tinge of scientific consensus as a strong "no".

ITT The Paris Climate Conference lacks a tinge of scientific consensus.

Here have some scientists

https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/67/12/1026/4605229

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 26, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Like, okay, that phrase in those exact words is a bit harder to find. The part about climate worsening over the next century no matter what we do, and that worsening leading to droughts (which have already started) and starvation and all the fun stuff that follows from those things is much clearer.

What's "near-term"? A century? Two? The last human to choke to death on our stupid civilization's poo poo and trash hopefully hasn't been born yet, but if you told me her great-grandparents have, I'd believe you.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Put her up against the wall and be done with it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Not to go all :decorum: here, but do you think y'all could stop calling for the death of public figures before Lowtax gets a visit from the RCMP?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Serious question: Xi isn't stupid; he knows "We demand the executive branch tell the judiciary what to do" isn't a demand we could grant and still have everyone keep their jobs at the end of it. Does he hope to accomplish anything beyond sending some sort of message that his corporate drones are saintly figures who must always remain above the local law?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Serious question: Xi isn't stupid; he knows "We demand the executive branch tell the judiciary what to do" isn't a demand we could grant and still have everyone keep their jobs at the end of it. Does he hope to accomplish anything beyond sending some sort of message that his corporate drones are saintly figures who must always remain above the local law?

My guess would be he's hoping that even if this accomplishes nothing this time around because she's already under arrest and releasing her is a non-starter, that this will strongly encourage everyone involved to just let the next Chinese executive with an open arrest warrant quietly leave the country while everyone else looks the other way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

Maintain his domestic power.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

infernal machines posted:

Not to go all :decorum: here, but do you think y'all could stop calling for the death of public figures before Lowtax gets a visit from the RCMP?
I meant the prosecutors should turn up the heat and put the pressure on. You know, really get that international criminal plutocrat's back up against the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

It's all for the home audience and keeping face.

Any actual positive benefits by intimidation of other states is just a bonus.