Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Catfishenfuego posted:

The correct answer to this is 'gently caress off or stop doing this'.

Yeah, easy fix. If your players won't buy in at all to your game you need either new players or a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Naoto Shirogane posted:

There's a guy in my group who made a Lasombra who never shapeshifts and is always shaking like he has Parkinson's or something? He doesn't do anything at all, and put all of his points on his character sheet into guns despite not owning a gun. In the middle of our session he screams "WELCOME!" in a nasally voice while his character points a camcorder to his face (despite being invisible in the lens due to Lasombra) and drinking special edition sodas and eating Lunchables even though vampires don't eat or drink? Unless he throws it up somehow afterwards, but he never elaborates. In fact, whenever he needs blood he pours it from oda cans(???) He cracks the drink open, breathes heavily into his microphone and splashes what I assume is Coke Zero all over his own microphone and glass/table. I...appreciate his dedication to the character, but to be completely honest with you all I don't think he truly appreciates the serious tone the World of Darkness universe brings to the proverbial table and it makes any interaction with him an absolute chore. Absolutely useless character, and he doesn't die. His rolls are just too good and I suspect he's using some sort of weighted dice to make sure he plagues our existence with either himself or a gruff sounded alter ego he created last week named "Darnation Rob". Darnation isn't even a word.

Is there any way I can help ease him into taking the game with some modicum of seriousness? I am here to tell stories and create meaningful characters in a unique and interesting environment, not...whatever this is. Thank you all in advance, I think you're all doing great in here talking about vampires and I love reading your opinions.

:sever:

Or, tell him his character sucks and it doesn't fit the game at all and if he wants to play he should make a new one that isn't an excuse to pour soda all over himself.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a good idea to tell them to tone it down but honestly im vaguely curious what theyre trying to do

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the mad lasombra i mean

gently caress to weird transmisic poo poo

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tollymain posted:

its a good idea to tell them to tone it down but honestly im vaguely curious what theyre trying to do

Sounds like he might have some issues, is trolling the group, or is doing some sort of weird performance art. Maybe a bit of the latter two. Either way, sever if he won't respect the rest of the group.

On the other hand, if you've done something to piss him off or provoke him into trolling then please put off severing in favor of telling us why you've provoked some rando into trolling the poo poo out of your game with his seemingly unkillable character. Because given that character description there's gotta be a story there. :v:

Oberst posted:

Wait why did he make a homophobic vampire in the first place? Projection much?

Seriously how did the ST even allow the situation to get like this in the first placs

I'm trying to imagine a situation where saying "Okay, drop the bigotry as a character concept and go with something that doesn't involve beating the poo poo out of and/or eating LGBT people." wouldn't just be easier for everyone in the long run instead of trying to mage-chat your way into figuring out what qualifies as an acceptable meal to the aforementioned bigoted vampire.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 26, 2019

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Regardless of the context (which is teetering on transphobic/homophobic) there are plenty of other examples of “how do I treat a prey exclusion in cases where the feeding vampire doesn’t know whether or not prey qualifies”. If your blonde prey dyes their hair red, and you only feed on redheads, guess what that meal is coming right back up.

Ignoring the differentiation between sex and gender, if I was the ST I would probably say anybody with a Y chromosome is on the menu. If you want to then make calls on whether a character is intersex or anything else youre at least working with distinct rules and not debating the social construct of gender through a pair of plastic vampire fangs

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 26, 2019

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

To me the equally unnerving part of that situation is the “no kids” rule which I can imagine you’ll run into like a brick wall in an similarly suspicious context. Feeding on a kid should be carte blanche humanity stain imo.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and wants to reinforce traditional gender roles like a duck, then it’s a duck

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
there a lot of afab women who have y chromosomes
like, that's loving stupid as a criteria and the entire thing should be, no, pick a different restriction, the end.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like a lot of posters are equating “playing a homophobic character” with being a homophobe/transphobe as though people haven’t been using tabletops to role play EVIL characters since they were invented.

The nerd in me immediately read the situation, however clumsily explained, as “if the victim was genetically male at birth would it trigger a penalty” and the correct response was the above poster going “Vampires are magic, not sciencey, so genetics don’t matter.” If the victim identifies as a woman and lives as a woman, then she’s a woman and the penalty won’t trigger.

This could lead to situations where the only available victim is a trans woman and the character could then roleplay through their homo/transphobia.

It’s clunky sure but do not even close to the most problematic or hosed up or even that offensive of an idea for someone to bring up.

The Lasombra guy spilling Coke everywhere sounds way more lovely to play with TBQH

But for clarity, transwomen aren’t “men dressed up as ladies” that’s something else (I just like spaghetti straps and loose fitting skirts because I have a lot of tattoos and don’t like jeans. The lipstick and nails... we’ll just blame Depeche Mode), and if that’s the assumption you group is under then you’re probably not mature enough to explore these themes in game and end up somewhere good.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 26, 2019

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

MollyMetroid posted:

there a lot of afab women who have y chromosomes
like, that's loving stupid as a criteria and the entire thing should be, no, pick a different restriction, the end.

It is possibly the dumbest criterion. It's a blood curse, not science.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s clunky sure but do not even close to the most problematic or hosed up or even that offensive of an idea for someone to bring up.

No, it's pretty problematic and hosed up. It's extremely offensive.
Trans people are literally being murdered for their perceived gender. It's literally not a fiction, it's our goddamn reality.

Edit: not to mention the sheer dipshittery of comparing being trans to dyeing your hair color what the gently caress people

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 26, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

there is a pretty large difference between playing evil ("bwahahahaha behold my doom machine!") or even playing evil ("okay I'm going to eat this defenseless person because I need some blood right now") and going 'and for this one, I'm going to say slurs and be hugely transphobic but it's fine because it's just ~my character~'

Like, yes, a real person being a supervillain or a murderous vampire would be hella evil? but it's kind of a qualitative difference

a huge one

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
But there isn’t anything in the post about using slurs.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
You know, at this point, Mage Chat would be an upgrade.

Nessus posted:

Yeah, "it was secretly all another layer of control by the unfuckable super-conspirators" is like the most boring answer possible.

This is the chain of logic that ends in the last season of GoT. The point is not the twist, the point is so how well constructed it is, how it builds themes and ideas presented in the text.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 26, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bust Rodd posted:

But there isn’t anything in the post about using slurs.

gently caress off.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks. w.r.t. the transphobic vampire: I don't think this conversation is going to go anywhere good, especially the part about chromosomes (tl;dr: there are actually a lot of possible chromosomal arrangements, even if you're cis you can't be 100% certain which ones you have unless you get tested, and "If you have a Y you're a guy" is a thing transphobes say so that's a whole other can of worms). I think "it's probably a bad idea to say a vampire isn't breaking their clause if they don't perceive it that way" pretty much covers it, so let's move on.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, how about those Traditions, huh?

What would Ascension have to do to make them function as protagonists in 2019?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Rand Brittain posted:

Scrap them and start over with something not based on 90s club cultures?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like a lot of posters are equating “playing a homophobic character” with being a homophobe/transphobe as though people haven’t been using tabletops to role play EVIL characters since they were invented.

The nerd in me immediately read the situation, however clumsily explained, as “if the victim was genetically male at birth would it trigger a penalty” and the correct response was the above poster going “Vampires are magic, not sciencey, so genetics don’t matter.” If the victim identifies as a woman and lives as a woman, then she’s a woman and the penalty won’t trigger.

This could lead to situations where the only available victim is a trans woman and the character could then roleplay through their homo/transphobia.

The Lasombra guy spilling Coke everywhere sounds way more lovely to play with TBQH

But for clarity, transwomen aren’t “men dressed up as ladies” that’s something else (I just like spaghetti straps and loose fitting skirts because I have a lot of tattoos and don’t like jeans. The lipstick and nails... we’ll just blame Depeche Mode), and if that’s the assumption you group is under then you’re probably not mature enough to explore these themes in game and end up somewhere good.

The world is a vampire....

Oberst
May 24, 2010

GNU Order posted:

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and wants to reinforce traditional gender roles like a duck, then it’s a Camarilla

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I will take this lovely topic as a jumping off point to say that Promethean is a wonderful game and feels built to be played by trans people. 2 of my 3 players (and i also as the gm) are trans and i feel like the game would have a harder time functioning if we weren’t so in touch with the concept of finding/building an identity.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Not make their enemies anti-Semitic conspiracy theories?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Is the v5 thinblood alchemy trans spell triggering/problematic? It seems pretty inclusive but I'd never play a thinblood (disgusting so I cant tell

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I definitely agree that the Hollow Ones are not worth saving.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Naoto Shirogane posted:

There's a guy in my group who made a Lasombra who never shapeshifts and is always shaking like he has Parkinson's or something? He doesn't do anything at all, and put all of his points on his character sheet into guns despite not owning a gun. In the middle of our session he screams "WELCOME!" in a nasally voice while his character points a camcorder to his face (despite being invisible in the lens due to Lasombra) and drinking special edition sodas and eating Lunchables even though vampires don't eat or drink? Unless he throws it up somehow afterwards, but he never elaborates. In fact, whenever he needs blood he pours it from oda cans(???) He cracks the drink open, breathes heavily into his microphone and splashes what I assume is Coke Zero all over his own microphone and glass/table. I...appreciate his dedication to the character, but to be completely honest with you all I don't think he truly appreciates the serious tone the World of Darkness universe brings to the proverbial table and it makes any interaction with him an absolute chore. Absolutely useless character, and he doesn't die. His rolls are just too good and I suspect he's using some sort of weighted dice to make sure he plagues our existence with either himself or a gruff sounded alter ego he created last week named "Darnation Rob". Darnation isn't even a word.

Is there any way I can help ease him into taking the game with some modicum of seriousness? I am here to tell stories and create meaningful characters in a unique and interesting environment, not...whatever this is. Thank you all in advance, I think you're all doing great in here talking about vampires and I love reading your opinions.

If you have a DM worth their salt they should be able to have things set up to kind of push back on those kinds of things (without necessarily punishing people or restricting player agency.) If done correctly they can introduce something in the story that has meaning to the character with subtle undertones meant to speak to the player as well.

Talk things out with other players to make sure they are okay with something like this, especially if the DM decides to do something drastic such as introducing a Ventrue that wishes to (once again) discontinue Coke Zero. Yes that's invalidating his character quite a bit and might upset the player, but these harsh truths are what make WoD so good.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Xinder posted:

I will take this lovely topic as a jumping off point to say that Promethean is a wonderful game and feels built to be played by trans people. 2 of my 3 players (and i also as the gm) are trans and i feel like the game would have a harder time functioning if we weren’t so in touch with the concept of finding/building an identity.

This is also how I feel about Demon. It's a great game when you have an LGBT group because the complex relationship with identity means people more quickly grasp the intricacies of the Cover system and how to play a character with a mutable sense of self.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

This is also how I feel about Demon. It's a great game when you have an LGBT group because the complex relationship with identity means people more quickly grasp the intricacies of the Cover system and how to play a character with a mutable sense of self.

One of these days I really ought to do Demon. I just get so worried I’m not smart enough to run it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rand Brittain posted:

You could make them front groups for the Pentacle as originally intended for Awakening, but they're fine as-is. Like I've posted before, a lot of people fail the basic "will you support the traditionalists or the technocrats" ideological test - just as you'd expect they would in the present era - but that doesn't mean it isn't an interesting test.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Xinder posted:

One of these days I really ought to do Demon. I just get so worried I’m not smart enough to run it.

I've run multiple Demon games, feel free to PM me to talk shop.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Another question about Changeling: The Lost, is it possible to combine multiple personal Hollows into a shared Freehold? A few players have Hollows and the game is going to encourage cooperation so it's something I envision them encountering in the future. I think I'll encourage them to make an oath-forged token to create a kind of "foundation" to join the hollows together, and just have a handful of Hedgespinning roles to finagle moving these things through non-euclidean space.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

The Traditions would have to completely agree with all of my political and strategic preferences. They would also need to go on Chapo.

It was very clear to me that they were all kind of cast in a mold in relation to the Order of Hermes. The Order of Hermes is "fine" in the sense that it is coherent, makes sense, and has an obvious magical flavor. I would reduce the number of Traditions to, say, five total and I would cast each of them as a society analogous to the Order of Hermes, with a thumbnail sketch of a backstory and an ideal and a clear broad magical "style."

This would probably involve threading some cultural needles in a way that is beyond my easy encompassing, but you could also do some fun stuff. For instance, you could make the Celestial Chorus organizationally/rhetorically Islamic (even if in fact it encompasses all fundamentally monotheistic magical/occult practices -- possibly including, for instance, vodou).

You then have a sixth "Tradition ex Miscellanea" which would cover "all things that don't fit elsewhere," including schismatic Technocrats who have remained clumped together. Long term defecting Technocrats tend to actually join other groups, and I would personally drop the ~stemlord~ angle entirely -- doing a lot of gizmo crap tends to come naturally if you use a lot of Matter or Forces.

The Technocracy probably does not need a lot of interior modification, although you might somewhat reconsider the flavoring of the NWO and the Void Engineers probably make more sense as a sub-category of other groups. If you want to cast them as having interior tensions it would seem pretty easy to say that Iteration X and the Progenitors have a lot of people who want to release cyber-implants and genome-drugs and instead keep getting put to work on blockchain and boner pills for ageing Sleepers.

e: You should also use the Awakening sphere systems and don't feel like you're being cute by marrying a tradition to a particular sphere.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Another question about Changeling: The Lost, is it possible to combine multiple personal Hollows into a shared Freehold? A few players have Hollows and the game is going to encourage cooperation so it's something I envision them encountering in the future. I think I'll encourage them to make an oath-forged token to create a kind of "foundation" to join the hollows together, and just have a handful of Hedgespinning roles to finagle moving these things through non-euclidean space.
You could also have a session or two set around cleaning out the equivalent of a lovely Hedge single-story motel, and then the tokens let them turn the doors into portals back to their Hollows. Just the saddest god drat stopover in miserytown.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
There's even a merit for linikng trods to their hallows

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

You could also have a session or two set around cleaning out the equivalent of a lovely Hedge single-story motel, and then the tokens let them turn the doors into portals back to their Hollows. Just the saddest god drat stopover in miserytown.

Why would they need to go to New Jers- Oh! Yeah, that's a brilliant idea. Thanks!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
alright yall i confronted him i think it went well

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dave Brookshaw posted:

This, plus get rid of the ones which seemed to exist (especially in 1st edition) to give someone who really, really didn't want to play a wizard an excuse not to play a wizard in a game about playing a wizard. (I am looking primarily at the Sons of Ether and Virtual Adepts - both of whose schticks are more suited to various types of stale sci-fi than a game about wizards - but I'm also giving side-eye to the Akashics, seeing how their iconic illustration in 1st edition was a goshdarn martial arts fighter despite wuxia having its own rich tradition of badass wizard analogues.)

It always bugged me that 1E Mage did that. 1E Vampire didn't give you the option of playing a vampire who aesthetically speaking has nothing in common with pop cultural or folkloric vampires, 1E werewolf didn't let you opt out of having shapeshifting powers and kinship with wolves. If 1E Mage had gone to press without the Hollow Ones, Sons of Ether or Virtual Adepts, nobody would be saying "Hang on, this game is woefully incomplete because it's missing out entire iconic archetypes of what we consider wizards to be!" because of the lack of goths, steampunk scientists, and Neuromancer-style hackers. (They might be saying it on account of the lack of other magical traditions, but the splats in question do nothing to fill those conceptual gaps.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like having "wizards" who aren't obviously "magic users" is important, though. I mean, if the Technocracy are going to still exist, why wouldn't the Traditions have technomages?

I can agree with getting rid of the Hollow Ones and Verbena because they were never good ever, or the Dreamspeakers so they can be replaced with something way less problematic, but crossing out Akashics and Etherites means junking two of the best books in the entire line.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like having "wizards" who aren't obviously "magic users" is important, though. I mean, if the Technocracy are going to still exist, why wouldn't the Traditions have technomages?
Well, there's two answers to that:
- If the Technocracy is going to exist, they are the technomages already, by definition a "technomage" is propagating the exact thing the Traditions are opposing.
- If you're doing a radical update of Ascension anyway, do you need the Technocracy? Does it make sense for them to be the antagonist faction when the major IRL antagonists out there include Moon Landing deniers, anti-vaxxers and Flat Earthers among their number?

quote:

I can agree with getting rid of the Hollow Ones and Verbena because they were never good ever, or the Dreamspeakers so they can be replaced with something way less problematic, but crossing out Akashics and Etherites means junking two of the best books in the entire line.
I can see the Akashics being OK with later development away from the "kung fu guy" initial archetype.

Etherites, though? I'm not seeing what benefit there is to having them in a specifically Mage game when you could take the same effort and make a better and more interesting book when you don't weigh it down with the necessity of connecting to the rest of the Mage setting.

A game about steampunk advocates of unfashionable cosmologies rebelling against modern science sounds fun to me! It also doesn't suggest "wizards".

Warthur fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 28, 2019

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Periodic reminder The Technocracy were right, screw The Traditions.

(Said light heartedly with best intentions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Shockeh posted:

Periodic reminder The Technocracy were right, screw The Traditions.

(Said light heartedly with best intentions)
Shall we all assume 10 pages of magechat happens here and move past it?