Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Tesseraction posted:

Sometimes the game would be unfairly dickish to you - during one of the bracelet sections I could clearly tell the "tell" was their middle finger vibrating slightly, but I kept trying again and again at different spots and eventually looked up a video online to see if I was going crazy and the dude who was doing a let's play / walkthrough was also struggling until he put the finger out of focus and more focused on the chest pocket behind the finger.

Sure enough, I focus on the chest behind the finger and only then does Apollo go "AHA! Your FINGER is twitching!"

Which bracelet section was this again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I never liked the gameplay Bracelet sections, about the only thing I liked was how spooky and mystical the presentation was

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Which bracelet section was this again?

Honestly I can't remember, I think it might have been 6-2.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God it always fucks me up when you see Daryan's back sprite for the first time and realize he's got a pomp and a mullet.

also gently caress me they always show like 5 seconds more than they need to of the video at the beginning

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 24, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think I'd find the video less silly if she wasn't singing "pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi pi" like a broken vocaloid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Brushel is sooooooooooooo gross

E: gently caress I FORGOT MEEKINS

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 25, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Man, Apollo Justice is pretty okay. Part of me really wants to see what would have happened to the series if they had committed to Apollo rather than backpedaling a bit in DD.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Given the jury system in DGS, I would've really liked them to make the jurist system a mechanic in AA5 onward instead of backpedalling

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
just look at the witness system in wright vs layton and you'll see what a mistake trying to shoehorn in the jurist system would've been

it's like a normal testimony except you have five slightly different takes for the same statement and only one has the correct Present/Press solution

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The White Dragon posted:

just look at the witness system in wright vs layton and you'll see what a mistake trying to shoehorn in the jurist system would've been

it's like a normal testimony except you have five slightly different takes for the same statement and only one has the correct Present/Press solution

tbh I don't remember PLvAA all that well but I didn't think the DGS system was that bad

maybe meandering at times, but i think it was workable at the core

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

actually, the witness system in wright vs. layton was great

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also in juried trials, the jury themselves does not usually testify.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waffleman_ posted:

you know that's not how phoenix wright would go

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Waffleman_ posted:

If there isn't a case where you accuse a juror of the crime, what's even the point?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The best part of DGS is definitely that whoever selected the jurors definitely misheard the instruction "pick people NOT related to the case" with "pick people absolutely related to the case"

to the point where they had to go solve the crime themselves and pick people who seemingly has no relation and is only revealed later in a turnabout

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

:siren: Educational Post :siren:

Gyakuten Saiban 4 was first released in 2007, about 2 years before something resembling a juridical system was implemented in Japanese courts and in the middle of much public debate and test trials of the system. The third game, incidentally, was released in 2004 mere months before the law instating the new system passed. It would be a waste for a game set in a courtroom to ignore the whole thing which is why the game has it as a subplot. The introduction of the system really was very much a hot topic in Japan at the time: on the day the new system was implemented in 2009 not one but two DS court-drama games where you play a lay-judge were released. Both are actually supposed to be pretty good though one looks much more anime than the other.

The system in Japan doesn't resemble the American one very much. For one, this isn't really a jury but a number of "lay-judges" chosen from the general public. The sit along with the professional judges and participate in the inquisitorial process. They are allowed to examine evidence and question witnesses, and are part of the decision not just on guilt but on punishment too. Trials with lay-judges are trials for serious crimes that may result in life imprisonment or the death sentence. The panel is comprised of three professional judges and six lay judges and the verdict is decided by a majority that contains at least one professional judge.

My guess on why we don't see this in 5 and 6 is that the writers are aware putting anything like this in a game will be much more off-putting to an American audience than any Japanese village or a soba-udon debate.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

orenronen posted:

:siren: Educational Post :siren:

This was really interesting, thank you!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be honest I think the developers were also more just aware that such a system would be needlessly frustrating. It's bad enough getting the single judge to behave himself at the best of times let alone 3 + 6 and it would require introducing up to 6 one-shot characters per turnabout or risk it becoming a farce of having the same rotating cast of previous characters appear but never mention what happened in previous games in order to prevent spoilers.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Ignoring the whole in-game ramifications, just from a practical standpoint, they seem to barely have enough time and possibly memory space to have more than like 4 unique characters for each case in DD and SoJ as-is. Adding 6 lay-judges in total seems like it would be undoable, even in the "Grossberg has a whole 2 dialogue portraits because they ran out of room on the cart" sense, it seems like. 6 per case is almost definitely not even up for consideration, really.

e; I say "DD and SoJ," but thinking about it, that's been a thing for the entire series. There's the occasional case that has notably more, but that's always the exception.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 26, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean, if I had to make between 4 and 5 sets of 6 lay-judges per game I would definitely be phoning it in by the third turnabout.

Yeah here's your judges... Gary, Barry, Larry, Harry, Sally and Sue. They're all *throws dart* librarians.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.
I just like to pretend that during 5 and (the Japanifornian cases in) 6 there's a panel of jurists in a back room relaying their opinions to the Judge in private.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the jurors in the Great Ace Attorney worked pretty well.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The final case of AJ was explicitly stated to be a test case anyway, just to see if a juror system was feasible. I'm more mad that they backpedaled on Phoenix's character development.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just wait until AA7 which opens with him having amnesia and not remembering anything other than his legal training.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I want to see Phoenix's piano playing and skill at cheating at cards come up again. Just Athena going "Wait, boss? Why do you know how to cheat at cards? I'll never look at you the same again"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He never cheated!!!!!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

There's nothing in the rule book that says your magic child can't inform you of bluffs.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
remember when phoenix legitimately does get us to present forged evidence at the beginning of AJ. that was kind of messed up nick

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was a reproduction!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

remember when phoenix legitimately does get us to present forged evidence at the beginning of AJ. that was kind of messed up nick

I loved it. It showed that the system's gotten so hosed that even Nick has to cheat.

Edit: And yeah if I remember correctly he's careful to say that it's not the actual card that was at the crime scene. It's just that Kristoph sees it and immediately flips out. Therefore it's not ~*technically*~ forged evidence.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I loved it. It showed that the system's gotten so hosed that even Nick has to cheat.

Edit: And yeah if I remember correctly he's careful to say that it's not the actual card that was at the crime scene. It's just that Kristoph sees it and immediately flips out. Therefore it's not ~*technically*~ forged evidence.

The real masterclass of that forged evidence is when Nick points out "how do you know it's forged evidence? the only way for someone to know is if someone were the murderer themselves and took it from the scene"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Phoenix got the juror system set up and then intentionally rigged it by putting the defense's mother in it, that system sucked just like the rest of Phoenix in AA4.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Phoenix invented/rediscovered an entirely new system of court just to make sure Kristoph hosed off forever. A fitting fate for the second most petty motherfucker in Ace Attorney.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The White Dragon posted:

The witness panel mechanic was good though.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Ymmv, but I wouldn't like to see the jury system repeat after DGS. It was pretty funny in that game because of a couple of jokes they managed to throw in, and that juror who hated rich people was pretty fun, but eventually the cases just had repeat juries/tropes and it got kinda stale. I also eventually found interrupting the trial for the third time (if I remember correctly?) during the last trial kinda grating, especially since their verdicts carried no tension with me by that point, you knew they were just going to reverse their voting.

I do like the system of finding contradictions in different testimonies, but would rather that be applied to double witness testimonies. Also, a revamped closing argument mechanic (but during closing... basically end of trial summary).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Silver Falcon posted:

The witness panel mechanic was good though.

i dunno i thought it, like a lot of things in that game, were just frustrating. it gives you a lot of weird variables to deal with when presenting evidence in a series that is always very strict about the block of text you have to present against.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think in AA7, they should introduce an "Athena is the main character" mechanic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
imo aa7 should be about Space Cadet Attorney Pearl Fey, who became a lawyer when she realized that phoenix's true love was edgeworth, and she wanted to make gay marriage legal in japanifornia

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The White Dragon posted:

imo aa7 should be about Space Cadet Attorney Pearl Fey, who became a lawyer when she realized that phoenix's true love was edgeworth, and she wanted to make gay marriage legal in japanifornia

is her mentor wendy oldbag, still wearing the spacesuit and raygun

is the raygun the new perceive mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's weird that localization made Athena more hot-blooded than Apollo, because since a lot of Japanese language conventions didn't translate we mostly go off body language, and Athena moves way more aggressively than Apollo.