Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Better pick up the pace before the next DC event because who know what Titans are going to die during it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nyeehg posted:

Thanks for this. Really helpful stuff. My base assumption was to start at infinity gauntlet so I'm glad I checked here first.

In total fairness, the Captain Marvel -> Warlock -> Silver Surfer -> Infinity _______ is the path for people who want to dive in and get the full epic experience. If you do want to just jump right to Infinity Gauntlet then that's fine too, though it does start en media res picking up from plot lines from Silver Surfer and Thanos Quest. Just want to make sure you understand what you're getting into with this.

IIRC, you want to read Captain Marvel #25-34 (34 is not cosmic but it becomes important a few years later) and that's the Captain Marvel part of things. Then Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-15, Avengers Annual 7, and Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2 cover the Warlock chapter. Then you need to read Marvel Graphic Novel #1 (on the off chance that you don't know what this book is, don't look it up until you've read the previous parts). After that, the Infinity Gauntlet ramp up occurs in Silver Surfer 34-50 and Thanos Quest. That's where Infinity Gauntlet kicks off and after that things become a lot more messy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So I'm still stuck in the past (the latest comics I bought were back around House of M (edit-- it was actually probably Civil War 1))

Is it reasonable to start with the Marvel Fresh Start stuff and work my way forward to War of the Realms? Or should I start with Marvel Now 1.0? Or go further back? I have Marvel Unlimited so getting caught up isn't hard.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 2, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

COOL CORN posted:

So I'm still stuck in the past (the latest comics I bought were back around House of M (edit-- it was actually probably Civil War 1))

Is it reasonable to start with the Marvel Fresh Start stuff and work my way forward to War of the Realms? Or should I start with Marvel Now 1.0? Or go further back? I have Marvel Unlimited so getting caught up isn't hard.

If you're specifically wanting to read War of the Realms you should start at the beginning of Jason Aaron's Thor run, though you don't need to go back that far for anything else in the build up.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

There's an X-Men sale on comixology again. I grabbed the second X-Men Red trade. Are there any other post-Secret Wars X-Men comics worth looking for before it all gets flushed down the Hickman reset? So far I've read the X-Men Red trades, Tomaki's X-23, Mr & Mrs X, What if Magik and X-Men Black Emma. I need to look for All New Wolverine yet. Asking to see if I missed any other standouts as I'll probably get around to the bad ones on unlimited some day.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if youve read xmen red and tomakis x-23 but not all new wolverine just what the gently caress

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bagrada posted:

There's an X-Men sale on comixology again. I grabbed the second X-Men Red trade. Are there any other post-Secret Wars X-Men comics worth looking for before it all gets flushed down the Hickman reset? So far I've read the X-Men Red trades, Tomaki's X-23, Mr & Mrs X, What if Magik and X-Men Black Emma. I need to look for All New Wolverine yet. Asking to see if I missed any other standouts as I'll probably get around to the bad ones on unlimited some day.

There was a Rogue/Gambit mini before Mr and Mrs X, Kelly Thompson wrote both so if you liked one you'll probably like the other. I kinda liked Weapon X, but I didn't finish it and I guess it ends by undoing Sabretooth's character growth.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

site posted:

if youve read xmen red and tomakis x-23 but not all new wolverine just what the gently caress

I tend to either get comics as they come out on my pull list or wait until the trades are $5 or less in a sale. Plus I'm a completionist. I was able to jump on at the start of X-23 but I missed the boat of ANWolverine. I saw all the posted pages on this forum and that was good enough to catch me up til now. I misspoke, I haven't actually read Red yet, I just grabbed vol 1 from comixology last sale, and vol 2 this time.

Skwirl posted:

There was a Rogue/Gambit mini before Mr and Mrs X, Kelly Thompson wrote both so if you liked one you'll probably like the other. I kinda liked Weapon X, but I didn't finish it and I guess it ends by undoing Sabretooth's character growth.

Thanks I'll check them out. Bummer about Sabretooth, I haven't seen him in anything recently but I liked the good guy version in AoA/Exiles.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What's the best collection of Alien comics?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Probably whichever DH omnibus has the Mignola story in it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is Rumble?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Looking forward some comic recommendations for things to read with my six year old.

We’re not shy from more adult story lines or violence, but if the problems confronted in the comics are too adult he has trouble relating. He enjoys stories with school-age teens the most. Most of what we’ve read is super-hero marvel stuff so I’m hoping to branch out.

Some comics he has enjoyed are:

*Thor God of Thunder
*Secret Wars (the old 80s one)
*Current runs of Ms. Marvel
*Mad Love (Batman)
*All Ironman comics we’ve tried

I’m thinking of reading Bone for a change of pace. Any recommends?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Squirrel Girl!

Bandette?
Bone would be amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Try some Simonson Thor comics if you can find them at a reasonable price. They're not quite as Metal as the God of Thunder ones but they're still pretty awesome, especially if you're 6.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Try some Simonson Thor comics if you can find them at a reasonable price. They're not quite as Metal as the God of Thunder ones but they're still pretty awesome, especially if you're 6.

FTFY

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Dumbest Idea Ever
Groo
Usagi Yojimbo
Bone
Amulet
Three Thieves
Korgi
Cardboard Kingdom
Phoenix Colossal Comics Collection
Cucumber Quest
Wrapped Up

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gameko posted:

Looking forward some comic recommendations for things to read with my six year old.

We’re not shy from more adult story lines or violence, but if the problems confronted in the comics are too adult he has trouble relating. He enjoys stories with school-age teens the most. Most of what we’ve read is super-hero marvel stuff so I’m hoping to branch out.

Some comics he has enjoyed are:

*Thor God of Thunder
*Secret Wars (the old 80s one)
*Current runs of Ms. Marvel
*Mad Love (Batman)
*All Ironman comics we’ve tried

I’m thinking of reading Bone for a change of pace. Any recommends?

Bone is a wonderful option for a kid.

The Marvel Adventures line consisted of short, one issue stories intended for a younger audience. They were also really good comics that were often better than the actual books at that time. They were collected in small, digest formats that were cheap to begin with and now you can get most of them extremely cheap. Because of the target audience, they often tried to bring in teen characters as well. Jeff Parker's Marvel Adventures The Avengers is probably the best of them, but you can't go wrong with picking up a few digests of any of them and just going with it.

Similarly, your kid is pretty much right in the sweet spot for Power Pack. There was a set of miniseries about ten years ago that had the kid superheroes team up with other Marvel characters and these were generally pretty good.

Getting away from superheroes, how about giving Usagi Yojimbo a try? While the themes can get heavy from time to time, it's usually paired with something a bit lighter.

Moomin was originally a newspaper strip in Norway, but the characters have ongoing adventures. It's beautifully illustrated and kind of sweet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bone is the best choice. My kid loved it.

He also loved Usagi and Lumberjanes. And his favourite book to read now on his own is Asterix. Though I find it a slog to read to him... a beautiful book but fairly text heavy.

Amulet was pretty good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The current teenage mutant ninja turtles is awesome and okay for all readers

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got my friend to buy Bone for his 11 year old niece this past weekend and was quite proud of myself.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Has anyone recommended Bone yet? I recommend Bone.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I'm in my second month of Comixology Unlimited which I equate to a drug dealer. Sure kid, first books on us...

Is there an app that keeps track of when new issues are released? I see the subscription on the Comixology site, but I don't want to necessarily buy each issue right away.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I use league of comic book geeks to track my subscriptions, but you could also use it just to keep track of what comes out each week.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

savesthedayrocks posted:

I'm in my second month of Comixology Unlimited which I equate to a drug dealer. Sure kid, first books on us...

Is there an app that keeps track of when new issues are released? I see the subscription on the Comixology site, but I don't want to necessarily buy each issue right away.

I use the 'new comics' section on comicvine.com. It gets the release dates of trades wrong from time to time, but as far as singles go it's fully accurate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Diamond publishes their releases every week. Comixology's releases are pretty much the same unless they have something digital first.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I use comicbookroundup.com which is a metacritic style review aggregator that also tracks pull lists. I find it pretty useful for finding new stuff I might want to read.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You can just use previewsworld.com/newreleases, it goes back so you can see what came out in previous weeks, but i haven't tested going back a long ways to see how long things are stored if you're wanting to go way way back

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Raffles posted:

I use comicbookroundup.com which is a metacritic style review aggregator that also tracks pull lists. I find it pretty useful for finding new stuff I might want to read.

This was what I was looking for, thanks!!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm looking for something new to read. I've recently finished all the available Squirrel Girl trades (I like her, no judgement), which led me to US Avengers (meh) and all the Spider-Verse stuff (which was loving awesome). I also read some 2015ish Avengers that was recommended here but I don't know the titles off the top of my head. There was some big yellow guy with horns who was the antagonist early on, then he was on their side? It honestly got kind of confusing.

I'm looking for something fairly modern and Avengers-related maybe. I like team-ups. I've got a lot of Deadpool too that I can burn through. Any new + good trades I should give a try?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is Comixology basically the best place to get digital comics?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They don't have a lot of competition, unfortunately.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

New Leaf posted:

I'm looking for something new to read. I've recently finished all the available Squirrel Girl trades (I like her, no judgement), which led me to US Avengers (meh) and all the Spider-Verse stuff (which was loving awesome). I also read some 2015ish Avengers that was recommended here but I don't know the titles off the top of my head. There was some big yellow guy with horns who was the antagonist early on, then he was on their side? It honestly got kind of confusing.

I'm looking for something fairly modern and Avengers-related maybe. I like team-ups. I've got a lot of Deadpool too that I can burn through. Any new + good trades I should give a try?

Jason Aaron's Avengers is pretty good. I liked the run of Uncanny Avengers that had Deadpool with Rogue leading the team. There's a solo graphic novel for Squirrel Girl called Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe that's by the same writer/artist as the main series, I don't know if that would have been included in your read through of the trades. Before US Avengers Squirrel Girl was on New Avengers, same writer so you might not enjoy it, but I did like New Avengers more than US Avengers. here's the first trade for that https://www.amazon.com/New-Avengers-I-M-Everything-i-m/dp/078519648X

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

savesthedayrocks posted:

I wish they'd let Canadians have unlimited already

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Is Comixology basically the best place to get digital comics?

A lot of the publisher specific stores ended up merging with comiXology, either duplicating their offerings or shutting down their original stores.

Humble Bundle still puts out PDF sales of comics from time to time, but seemingly less often. Everything else I have bought was from indie creators one at a time from, like, Gumroad.

Archie Comics has their own Netflix style service. Some of the manga companies do, too, but I don't know much about that market.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 26, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have a question about Comixology. With unlimited, do you get access to really all of their comics? Or what's the deal? $5.99 a month for all that seems like a crazy good deal for digital comics.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Croatoan posted:

I have a question about Comixology. With unlimited, do you get access to really all of their comics? Or what's the deal? $5.99 a month for all that seems like a crazy good deal for digital comics.

I believe from my short time browsing that it's older stuff that falls under the unlimited umbrella, new stuff still costs money I think?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, you get a small selection. It's not a cut off date or anything, it's literally the first one or two TPBs of stuff for most titles.

I forgot Marvel Unlimited in my list. That's the biggest comiXology competitor, but Marvel only.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Lame.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Not even close. I only have it because it's functionally free for me with the discount on new comics. It's still a ton of content, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nobody's ever gonna put new release comics on a subscription plan. They know if you're interested, you're probably already paying vast amounts over any monthly charge they could offer.