Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

worked in a grocery doing restock one summer where I learned the forgotten mystical art of opening boxes with my bare hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kazak posted:

worked in a grocery doing restock one summer where I learned the forgotten mystical art of opening boxes with my bare hands

I just savage boxes with pens. Every once in a while they break and spray ink everywhere but that’s part of the fun.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm looking for a good toe knife, any suggestions? Looking for something that wont botch up.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Buddy, no such thing as an unbotchable toe knife. its like bike locks and bank vaults, you can only delay what's coming for ya

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

You want a mushroom knife. Toes are basically mushrooms.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kazak posted:

Buddy, no such thing as an unbotchable toe knife. its like bike locks and bank vaults, you can only delay what's coming for ya

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

Ladies love it when you take a knife out on 'em. That's a solid plan...

for what it's worth, there was at least one event where my ability to start a fire using a the magnesium firestarter included in a knife impressed a lady enough for her to have sex with me.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

do you do the punch through? Or is that only doable when it's an amazon box filled with 97% air?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think you just fell asleep watching Quest for Fire bud

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One day, if you lift enough weights, eat enough dead animals, and swing a big enough club, you might just be able to do caveman things.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Using the pliers on my letterman to pull ear hair, AMA

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I love my knife, it's my baby. Help me think of a good name for it, a woman's name. You know, just like we do with guns.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

How about Scarlett (with the blood of my enemies)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Using the pliers on my letterman to pull ear hair, AMA

Where do I get a jacket with built in pliers? Where has that been all my life?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Lorena :hist101:

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

cormorant posted:

do you do the punch through? Or is that only doable when it's an amazon box filled with 97% air?

Every box is empty until you learn to open them

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Rutibex posted:

I see your tactical braclet and raise you the Survco tactical credit card axe :black101:

lol it seems like you would have to leverage your hand against the sawblade to use the bottle opener?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

cormorant posted:

Let me do you one better, here's a spearhead that screws onto any broom handle, perfect for when you just finished sweeping the floor and now you need to spear a hog for your dinner.

All jokes aside this activated some latent caveman desire in my DNA and now I very much want to spear something dead

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Swiss Army makes really nice watches. I've had mine for 19 years.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I mean Swiss Army Knives aren't that different from other semi-toy semi-useful products with niche applications. Like, Raspberry Pi. Yeah sure you can totally write your thesis or some software with that. If you're very patient and enjoy masochism. Or you turn it into retro game emulator. You know, the one you've got on your computer already, except slower. Yeah sure you can build your own keyboards. They'll be five times as expensive and have half the features of a store-bought one, but it's just neat to put some wires into a controller and have them do things. None of these things are really practical (outside of some niche applications), but they're cute and playful and that's why people like them.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Rock My Socks! posted:

lol it seems like you would have to leverage your hand against the sawblade to use the bottle opener?

It's a seatbelt/strap/small-branches cutter/skinning tool not a bottle opener.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

A Swiss Army Knife is ~2 oz, takes zero effort to have with me, and makes my day easier. Sure, a lot of it is stuff I could eventually work my way through with my hands and teeth, but why do that when humans can use tools?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just lol if you compare a tacticool Rambo knife with raspberry pi or like a soldering electronics kit.

Beep boop all hobbies are equal

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Now I'm picturing John Rambo running around hacking off limbs with a Victorinox Classic, that would fuckin' own.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

I mean Swiss Army Knives aren't that different from other semi-toy semi-useful products with niche applications. Like, Raspberry Pi. Yeah sure you can totally write your thesis or some software with that. If you're very patient and enjoy masochism. Or you turn it into retro game emulator. You know, the one you've got on your computer already, except slower. Yeah sure you can build your own keyboards. They'll be five times as expensive and have half the features of a store-bought one, but it's just neat to put some wires into a controller and have them do things. None of these things are really practical (outside of some niche applications), but they're cute and playful and that's why people like them.

This but about half way through I hit him in the sternum with a collectors edition bone handled cowboy knife with Gene Autry laser etched into the blade

BoldestCorgi
Jun 23, 2013

Neophyte posted:

I crouch in the shadows by the door to the post office, waiting patiently. A female walks out with a securely taped package in her hands. I pull out my one-handed SVDAus263.5 steel knife and flick it open as I run up to her.

"I'VE GOT A KNIFE!", I shriek helpfully.

gently caress you I am the HERO OF CHRISTMAS MORNING.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Swiss Army makes really nice watches. I've had mine for 19 years.

Why does anyone need a watch?

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
what, this? it's just my axe. IT'S JUST A TOOL!!!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Some of the Pis I use at work for apparently niche uses.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

revmoo posted:

Some of the Pis I use at work for apparently niche uses.

Starting my PIs for a quick hit of bitcoin

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

swiss army knives are very different from raspberry pi in the sense that normal people know what swiss army knives are

also carving branches into pointy spears while camping or hiking as a kid (the main use case for swiss army knives) isn't a niche application

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 26, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hmm fascinating tell me more about how knives aren't computers

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Kazak posted:

Did you work at some dystopian UK grocery chain where box cutters are illegal?

When I used to worked at a grocery store as a teenager anyone doing any stocking was given a box cutter with a hilarious holster, there was a big drawer just full of them. I see them on grocery store drones to this day.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

PinheadSlim posted:

Did you work at some dystopian UK grocery chain where box cutters are illegal?

When I used to worked at a grocery store as a teenager anyone doing any stocking was given a box cutter with a hilarious holster, there was a big drawer just full of them. I see them on grocery store drones to this day.

We had boxcutters, and some of the mountain town locals brought knives from home to cut boxes. It was better to master the hand-blade way rather than take a knife out each time you needed a box opened

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

All jokes aside this activated some latent caveman desire in my DNA and now I very much want to spear something dead

Wasn't there a poster here who was defending his rice farm from wild hogs by just sneaking up on them and stabbing them with a spear? I remember a video, it was hard to see what was happening but the audio was pretty insane

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

"Bushman", or something similar to that. I remember that PETA ended up mirroring the thread for some reason.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wasnt the ultimate escalation involving drones with guns? (No knives)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Working on minesites and backcountry I use a Leatherman every single day. I could hump a few pounds of perfect tools around or I could use one thing that can cut branches, lever plant roots, unscrew poo poo and fix whatever dumb poo poo that always seems to need fixing. Pretty much everyone I work with has a knife or something to cut poo poo up and we've been told specifically to buy a cheap mutitool because carrying a screwdriver in your vest is a great way to to puncture a lung after you trip down a hill or whatever.

The only thing I've never used is the bottle opener because lol if you can't open a bottle with practically any solid object.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Zesty posted:

Why does anyone need a watch?

Because we are slaves to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

None of my employers over the past 12 years have allowed me to carry a phone on the job. Watches are simple and nice.