Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

What is the cut-off for fully armored secondary turrets?

I can't remember if it's 2 inches or 2.5 inches of armor.

EDIT: Looked it up in the manual. 2 inches and above means full turrets and protection against splinters, 1.5 inches and down means gun shields and can be taken out easily. This is only for 6 inch guns and below for main guns, and for secondary guns.

Less then the cut-off, and your secondaries are considered to just have gun shields and will die from shrapnel.

And how is that last one a heavy cruiser with 3.5 inch belt armor? Drop one turret and go up to 5-6 inches.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

bewbies posted:

Some "worst AI ship" submissions, from 1947

It may have lovely guns, but at least it has lovely armor

Looks like it's based on the real world Town-class light cruisers, except reclassified as CA. I wonder if it's an armor configuration thing or does it have too many main guns to be a CL?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

Looks like it's based on the real world Town-class light cruisers, except reclassified as CA. I wonder if it's an armor configuration thing or does it have too many main guns to be a CL?

I'm guessing fog of war and that the armor is not correct. Especially considering it does not have any other type of armor listed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Is there anything you can do in this situation? It was night when the scenario began and none of the CAs will shoot the bombardment target, even though they've been parked as close as possible to it for three hours.

Edit: The answer seems to be "sit there until daytime, set your CAs to AI controlled, let the game give them back to you, then they will shoot".

Edit2: Next battle was, "Blow up this bombardment target with these two destroyers with a combined total of four three-inch guns"

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 21, 2019

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I prefer to call it a heavy destroyer

This is either the best use of the maximum allowable displacement or a terrible mistake.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 21, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you could have gone for 20in guns so yeah

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Stairmaster posted:

you could have gone for 20in guns so yeah

20s would have made it 20k tons overweight.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just go fisher my man

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Just go fisher my man

Not dual purpose mainguns, not interested.

That thing will rip so many things apart.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kilonum posted:

This is either the best use of the maximum allowable displacement or a terrible mistake.

Finally, we get to see what the US would have built if they were in the Axis and didn't want to be left out of the huge ship club.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I was never any good at RTW1, but it seemed like the kind of thing I'd love if I were better at grog games.

They made RTW2 even harder. :( Oh well, at least I can read LPs.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

What is the main issue you are having?

Is it the design process? The battles? The organization of where to send what ship?

Give Italy a go, and stay in the Mediterranean sea. Don't grab any colonies outside of it, and make size 40 airbases in multiple places to cover as much sea as possible.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't worry about losing battles. As an admiral it's thousands of young men who will pay the price, not you.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is anyone else having memory access issues with surprise attacks? Right as my war with Japan kicks off, I keep getting a memory access errors of this sort:
code:
Error in CheckSurpriseAttack procedure!
Access violation at address 00403FF8 in module 'RTW2.exe'. Read of address 506E4930
I've reloaded from the month before the war and it happens each time I can cause a war with Japan. :(

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm seeing a lot of memory errors and such. I can continue the game, I just worry I'm going to lose another brilliant victory.

On the "what should I build" front, Norman Friedman's books can't be beat. I'd recommend Fighting the Great War at Sea for a good overview of war at sea in the coal and torpedo era. Naval Firepower gets fiddly about fire control systems, save this for later. Then he has several design overviews, like "British destroyers: from earliest days to the Second World War" which covers the evolution of a whole class of ships for a single nation. I'm about halfway through British battleships, and reading about how Fisher, Churchill , and that whole lot squabbled over 100 tons here, 100 tons there is very approachable having made the same kind of decisions myself in-game.

These come up on Kindle sale occasionally, but as big lavishly illustrated books they're worth the ~$45. The Kindle editions have good quality photos in them, so that's convenient, if not vastly cheaper.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mukaikubo posted:

I was never any good at RTW1, but it seemed like the kind of thing I'd love if I were better at grog games.

They made RTW2 even harder. :( Oh well, at least I can read LPs.
If design is giving you headaches, go have a look at the World of Warships wiki, then check Wikipedia for those same ship classes to get a good look at what the ships looked like in real life. The general US lines going up the tiers are pretty historical, and should give you a good idea about what to try to imitate. Ape the refits with more AA guns whenever feasible. Remember to always mount the best torpedo protection and fire control you've researched. Those are always good.

If you get more serious then yeah pick up the books.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Be aware that early triple turrets are usually trash, that's why most nations held onto double turrets for quite a while. You'll eventually get an improved triple turret check.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just build this:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Just build this:

That might be an ideal battleship for the British fleet, but that doesn't mean it is for everyone. :v:

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

What techs do I need to actually make a dedicated carrier? Is it in ship design?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Gay Hitler posted:

What techs do I need to actually make a dedicated carrier? Is it in ship design?

You eventually unlock a new tech field. IIRC it's something like "Naval Air Ops, Heavier than air"

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Bremen posted:

You eventually unlock a new tech field. IIRC it's something like "Naval Air Ops, Heavier than air"

I think I keep getting messages saying I cant make further progress in that field without a dedicated carrier

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Build a quick and dirty light carrier

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Gay Hitler posted:

I think I keep getting messages saying I cant make further progress in that field without a dedicated carrier

IIRC, it's just you can't have it on high without a carrier?

There's a stretch where you can't build a purpose built carrier but need a carrier for high naval air research; the intent of the game is to get you to convert an existing ship to a carrier. I think it's confusing and should be eliminated, but it's what navies did historically so I guess that's why the developers try to force you to do it.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Here are the techs from the ResearchAreas2.dat file related to carriers:

pre:

[Naval aviation, heavier than air 17]
PicName=NavalAviationHeavy.jpg
Seaplane scouts;1915;N;70;6;1700;Enables seaplane bases
Aircraft bombing of ships;1916;N;70;6;1701;Enables air bombing of ships with light bombs
Early air launched torpedoes;1917;N;70;6;1702;Enables air launched torpedoes
Aircraft catapult;1923;N;70;10;1703;Enables aircraft catapults on ships
Later air launched torpedoes;1930;N;70;10;1704;Improves hit chances of air launched torpedoes
Dive bombing;1930;N;70;8;1705;Enables dive bombers
Air/Sea rescue;1935;Y;20;8;1717;Improves pilot survival and thus mitigates experience degradation from air losses 
Improved dive bombers;1938;N;70;10;1706;Enables improved dive bombers
Improved air launched torpedoes;1938;N;70;10;1707;Improves  hit chances of air launched torpedoes
Coordinated airstrike management;1939;N;70;10;1708;Allows coordinated strikes from several carriers
Aerial depth charges;1941;N;80;10;1712;Increases ASW value of aircraft carriers and air bases  
AP bombs;1942;N;90;6;1715;Enables use of AP bombs by aircraft  
Skip bombing;1942;N;50;10;1711;Increases effectiveness of level bombers in anti shipping attacks
Leigh light;1942;N;80;8;1713;Increases ASW effect of air bases  
Bombentorpedo;1944;N;40;10;1710;Near misses from glide bombing have a chance of being converted to torpedo hits

[Shipboard aircraft operation 18]
PicName=ShipboardAviation.jpg
Seaplane carrier;1914;Y;70;6;1801;Enables small seaplane carriers
Improved seaplane carrier;1916;Y;70;8;1802;Enables larger seaplane carriers
Flight deck;1918;Y;70;10;1803;Enables CVL conversions
Purpose built aircraft carrier;1920;Y;80;8;1804;Enables CVL construction
Aircraft carrier conversion;1921;Y;70;10;1805;Enables CV conversions
Transverse arrestor wires;1925;N;70;8;1811;Lowers risk of landing accidents
Large aircraft carrier;1926;Y;100;12;1809;Enables purpose built CV
Better aircraft handling practices;1927;N;70;8;1806;Increases aircraft capacity and ready times of carriers
Improved landing guidance systems;1929;N;70;8;1817;Lowers risk of landing accidents
Deck park;1930;Y;70;10;1814;Increases aircraft capacity of carriers
Improved arrestor wires;1931;N;70;10;1812;Lowers risk of landing accidents
Deck edge lifts;1934;N;70;10;1810;Improves readying times of aircraft
Improved carrier design;1936;Y;80;10;1815;Increases maximum carrier size
Flight deck catapults;1936;Y;50;6;1820;Enables catapults on aircraft carriers
Air intercept control system;1938;Y;80;12;1807;Increases CAP effectiveness
Improved aircraft handling practices;1940;N;70;12;1813;Increases maximum carrier size
Two phase search;1942;N;70;4;1822;Enables two phase search
CIC;1942;N;70;12;1818;Increases CAP effectiveness
Deck launched interceptors;1942;N;70;8;1819;Increases CAP effectiveness
Improved carrier design;1944;Y;80;10;1816;Increases maximum carrier size
Angled flight deck;1950;Y;80;15;1808;Enables angled flight deck

Note that the NA:HTA catapult tech is only seaplane catapults, the flight deck catapult tech is in the SAO tree. Hope this can help y'all figure out the exact techs you need for what. :) You need to have an active CVL or CV to have the SAO tech tree on 'High'. You unlock these as the game progresses (if you're on a 1900 start), along with other trees like Radar. The 4-digit number after each tech is the average year (or maybe earliest?) you're expected to have the tech which varies based on your specific game and research settings.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 25, 2019

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Bremen posted:

IIRC, it's just you can't have it on high without a carrier?

There's a stretch where you can't build a purpose built carrier but need a carrier for high naval air research; the intent of the game is to get you to convert an existing ship to a carrier. I think it's confusing and should be eliminated, but it's what navies did historically so I guess that's why the developers try to force you to do it.

Cant build a light carrier either. If all I need to do to advance is convert something to a cvl that's no issue. Would have been nice to have been told so

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So how long has it typically taken people to receive their email with the activation code? I set up an outlook and emailed a couple days ago but havn't gotten a response yet.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone else be unable to build torpedo bombers? Despite having both technologies available, when I try to have a tender for torpedo bombers I'll get an error stating "this role is not known at present" despite several other nations having torp bombers.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ive only had that problem with dive bombers

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So how long has it typically taken people to receive their email with the activation code? I set up an outlook and emailed a couple days ago but havn't gotten a response yet.
I got one next day.

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I emailed them Sunday and got my code a few hours ago.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jimmy4400nav posted:

It took them a day or two to email mine. I also sent in my RTW1 key at the same time and haven't got my rebate yet, so no idea how long that takes.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Can anyone help me understand rebuilds? What happens in a rebuild when you arent replacing machinery or guns or fire control that takes 3-4 months? Should I do that more regularly? Do I need to rebuild guns to get turrets or ammo improvements?

How often do you replace machinery? Do you usually just throw all your new excess tonnage for more speed?

At what point do you start scrapping ships?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

vyelkin posted:

It took them a day or two to email mine. I also sent in my RTW1 key at the same time and haven't got my rebate yet, so no idea how long that takes.

I sent them an email about the rebate every few days until I got it and it took about 3 weeks. Just harass them about it, if they're dumb enough that they made it so they need to manually PayPal people $5 they deserve to get a few hundred annoyed emails.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Gay Hitler posted:

Can anyone help me understand rebuilds? What happens in a rebuild when you arent replacing machinery or guns or fire control that takes 3-4 months?

Normally ships become obsolete 10 years after they are built. Rebuild restarts this clock and gives them another 10 years. (Obsolete ships suffer from increased breakdowns and I think they cost more to maintain.)

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

There does seem to be a bug where if you rebuild a ship after adding additional deck armor in a previous rebuild, it doesn't count the weight of the extra deck armor so you effectively get a weight refund.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yes you need to rebuild if your gun quality can be upgraded. I'm not sure if it's worth it, really. Replacing the machinery is usually not worth it, it costs so much money you're usually better off scrapping and making a new ship. I'll usually only replace the machinery on my old legacy Bs when converting them to CVLs so they can be not worthless, and at that point you're kind of forced to do that.

Rebuilding is best for low cost things like upgrading fire control, adding AA guns to old boats, enabling torpedo reloads, etc.

Edit: forgot about treaty limits. Yes if you're limited by a treaty then you have to rebuild those old capital ships to stay current with tech, then it is worth it to go hog wild if you can't afford to start another war.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

1.05 is out they still havent fixed the battle gen for carrier battles

quote:

The following are the fixes/changes made for the v1.05 update:
If a submarine ban is implemented, any build requirement of submarines will be voided.
Reduced risk of research getting "stuck" in research areas with long time between levels.
Reconstruction messages for DD and K are now merged into one message, just as for commissioning.
Improved feedback on invasion progress.
Fixed problem with research above level 20 being stopped (again).
Fixed a bug with erroneous message about S and T catapult positions not balanced.
Sinking ships will no longer contribute HAA fire.
No prestige loss when buying foreign aircraft if no own aircraft type for that role is available.
Only aircraft roles that are available will be shown in the list when requesting prototypes.
Fixed a bug with enemy flying boats contributing to player ASW efforts.
Fixed a bug with Electro-optical director.
Fixed a problem with too frequent "Enemy dominating".
Aircraft torpedoes will be limited to 2 torpedoes per/TB plane stationed on each carrier/base.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Wait, you can buy foreign aircraft??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yup

on an unrelated note, anybody happen to know the savegame folder?