Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
a "small dose" can absolutely help your brain but destroy how your dick works. it's a balance I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Being turbo depressed really hosed up my libido, so in summation, being broke brains is a land of contrasts

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
hm well i like fuckin more than being unanxious so come on CBT big money no whammies

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i'm still horny every day on sertraline so ymmv

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

being chemically unhorny rules honestly

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Unchemically horney is prohibited

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I haven't had any drive in years. Being chronically poor and depressed kept me from getting out and about, so now that I'm not doing so bad anymore I still don't really feel up to meeting people. That combined with IRL anger and paranoia issues makes me afraid to be with anybody -- my dad used to beat the hell out of us, and I got a lot of my anger from him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

I haven't had any drive in years. Being chronically poor and depressed kept me from getting out and about, so now that I'm not doing so bad anymore I still don't really feel up to meeting people. That combined with IRL anger and paranoia issues makes me afraid to be with anybody -- my dad used to beat the hell out of us, and I got a lot of my anger from him.
Good news, the time you spend on improving yourself and becoming happier still counts as working on your relationship. You're just working on a relationship you don't have yet by becoming a happier person.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hello fellow brokebrains, i achieved a lot of success helping myself out this week by taking the advice of a friend who has been struggling with brokebrains for years: scheduling time in my week to be worried about climate change, and then channeling all of my anxiety into 'I'll do something in that time." today that just meant serious reading about climate change articles (more deeply than i ever could while it was just taking over my whole life by being ambient background dog growls), but it kept me from obsessing over it the rest of the week. recommend for you if you work like i work. if you don't thats ok, i'm sure there's other options too :)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

hey thread

i signed up for a gym membership for the gym down the street

top 10 self owns of all time

actually i hope it makes me feel better because i miss when i was able to do weighted pullups and gymnastics routines only a few years ago, which fell apart from becoming alcoholic and etc

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

was supposed to go to a pub trivia with a friend tonight but he canceled on me. that means in a month I’ve only spent an hour and a half with friends, and besides two failed dates, have had literally no non-work social experiences. what a loving bummer.

maybe I should just get really into science fiction or something until being isolated doesn’t bother me any more

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frog Act posted:

was supposed to go to a pub trivia with a friend tonight but he canceled on me. that means in a month I’ve only spent an hour and a half with friends, and besides two failed dates, have had literally no non-work social experiences. what a loving bummer.

maybe I should just get really into science fiction or something until being isolated doesn’t bother me any more

I cant really recommend it as a replacement for human interaction but reading is at least a better than many alternatives

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Frog Act posted:

Is there a DSA chapter near you? I went to a meeting for the first time in a while last night and it helped a decent amount for keeping me socialized and making me not feel like an isolated weirdo for my political beliefs.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Goon Danton posted:

Is there a DSA chapter near you? I went to a meeting for the first time in a while last night and it helped a decent amount for keeping me socialized and making me not feel like an isolated weirdo for my political beliefs.

yeah I keep thinking “this time will be the night I go” and then not going for some reason. I really need to just make myself go to their next meeting, my understanding is that my city’s chapter is proportionately one of the larger ones on the east coast (Richmond VA). now that I have the money I want to pay dues and join anyway so I’m gonna get to just ignore my anxiety and go, because politics are really important and that’s definitely part of my alienation

and yeah I haven’t actively been a fiction reader since maybe early college, but when I was a kid I was the kind who would read a book every day or two, and I devoured enormous amounts of fiction of all kinds. sitting here at work with like five free hours every day has given me the opportunity to get back into it, and I reread The Forever War, and read a book on the Japanese Yakuza and Ringworld

if anyone has any really good sci fi recs for the terminally sad throw them st me itt

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Dispossessed is a classic of anarcho communism; Roadside Picnic (novella) is melancholic but has a message about struggling through it; Iain Banks' Culture series is probably goos but I havent started it yet, Altered Carbon and sequels border on 3edgy5me territory but there's some cool stuff

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

About to start week 3 of Zoloft 50mg. Dick still works, shits aren't too bad. Not sure if I feel different, but I had a lovely time at work the other day and managed to push through it with no issues. Therapist told me to breathe with my stomach rather than my chest if I'm feeling anxious, seems to work.

For books I can't recommend Roadside Picnic enough. The Culture books are also really good. Right now I've been on a Jack Vance kick, as recommended by the War Nerd, and I finished the Dying Earth books recently and am working on The Demon Princes series right now. Highly recommended.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Russian troll farm posted:

Therapist told me to breathe with my stomach rather than my chest if I'm feeling anxious, seems to work.
I started using a radio host breathing exercise to manage anxiety and it helps a lot. Inhale for ten seconds (this means pacing your breath so you don't go too fast), hold for ten, exhale for ten. You'll probably start with less than ten seconds because breathing exercises are weirdly hard. But just having to focus on doing that correctly for a bit is real helpful.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I started using a radio host breathing exercise to manage anxiety and it helps a lot. Inhale for ten seconds (this means pacing your breath so you don't go too fast), hold for ten, exhale for ten. You'll probably start with less than ten seconds because breathing exercises are weirdly hard. But just having to focus on doing that correctly for a bit is real helpful.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I go back to the ol' dark satanic mill tonight. Only 12 more hours of work and then my long weekend starts!

To anyone who's taken SSRIs for anxiety, do you think once the Zoloft kicks in I'll be able to enjoy weed again? As it is half the time I get this nagging feeling that something is terribly wrong and it keeps me on edge, and I can only enjoy weed if I'm already drunk or it's a bright sunny day and I'm outside bicycling.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

A Russian troll farm posted:

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I go back to the ol' dark satanic mill tonight. Only 12 more hours of work and then my long weekend starts!

To anyone who's taken SSRIs for anxiety, do you think once the Zoloft kicks in I'll be able to enjoy weed again? As it is half the time I get this nagging feeling that something is terribly wrong and it keeps me on edge, and I can only enjoy weed if I'm already drunk or it's a bright sunny day and I'm outside bicycling.

hell yeah. through fifteen years of brain problems, including Zoloft and Prozac and some other stuff, weed has been a critically useful thing for me and many people I know. however, that being said, I’ve also known some people who just stopped enjoying weed as they aged because it became increasingly correlated with anxiety irrespective of dose or context. but if you find you can get stoned and enjoy it sometimes, and antidepressants have their intended effect on you, I would bet you could go back to smoking with less anxiety

weed is great. it’s the absolute tops for sad brains

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Thank God. I miss getting high and enjoying myself

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i work with a dude who has bipolar 2. he has a prescription for weed on top of his mood stabilizers and other traditional meds. his girlfriend of 18 months wont let him vape because she doesn't like him getting high lmao so he can only do it when she's not home. she is fully disabled and doesn't work so he almost never gets to take his med. poor schmuck

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Tonight is another night of drowning in unspecified and specified dread, loneliness, and hopelessness. This tension and pressure is downright unbearable, but I just have to make it through the night

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to keep busy, allergies are posing a problem. I've been overdue for cleaning but when I get started in certain areas I get flush and my breathing becomes labored for a few minutes. I see an allergist next month.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Zoloft + weed is fine, don't worry.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

im having constant anxiety symptoms again, which kind of sucks a lot, but at the same time i've started inexplicably losing weight after dropping a couple medications

mental illness is a land of mysteries

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
eating healthy for the upcoming nazi war, i just ate some cookies n cream ice cream come at me fash

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
teaching myself several hopefully career-advancing software to own my short attention span.

lorn Wayne posted:

eating healthy for the upcoming nazi war, i just ate some cookies n cream ice cream come at me fash

i wanna get swole to punch nazis and survive the post climate apocalypse, but i keep eating junk food to cope with my anxiety and depression :smith:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

eating better is really hard and sucks and they say it makes you feel better but the time it takes to get to that good feeling sucks

I’m trying to eat vegetarian dinners with maybe 1/2 the calories I burn exercising before dinner every day and I honest to god have to choke them down sometime. I like a lot of vegetarian food but most of it is either fancy or really lovely, like, either expensive Indian food or a Taco Bell burrito, neither of which is viable on a day to day basis. the fitness fascists thread has been very helpful but for years I stayed skinny on a diet of opiates, candy, and breakfast cereal at midnight and doing it the actual way is turning out to be a lot of work.

one thing you might be able to do is find a less bad junk food to replace the stuff you eat when you’re bummed. my favorite thing is sour candy, and I used to eat a bag of something every night. I couldn’t just stop myself so I switched to xtreme sour smarties and now I just suck on a tube of those instead of devouring sour patch kids or something. they have so little actual content, even sugar, that diabetics can eat them. there are a surprising number of little snacks out there like that

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
i'm eating more lower calorie sweets, i guess (oreo thins, fiber one brownies). but salty/fried food is still a big issue for me. i want to cook more healthy meals, but i share a kitchen with five other family members.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been filling that need for sour candy at night with club soda and lime juice. it's not as satisfying, but it works as a substitute.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

the very first thing they teach you in meditation, yoga, martial arts, etc. is breathe with the diaphragm and not the lungs

there's deffo something to it, you fill a lot more lung capacity that way and more oxygen = less stress generally

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GoluboiOgon posted:

i've been filling that need for sour candy at night with club soda and lime juice. it's not as satisfying, but it works as a substitute.

I used to use grapefruit juice as a stopgap for cutting out soda but lol lamictal.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Those flavored sparkling waters are a good substitute for soda, I've found.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goon Danton posted:

Those flavored sparkling waters are a good substitute for soda, I've found.

hint water fukkin owns

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
my goto snack lately to keep by bed is kashi cinnamon wheat biscuit cereal. just a couple at a time keeps me full for a while

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

sunandspring I hope you're feeling okay

pulling for you

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

my goto snack lately to keep by bed is kashi cinnamon wheat biscuit cereal. just a couple at a time keeps me full for a while

triscuits binch

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

GoluboiOgon posted:

I used to drink straight lemon juice or lemon water a lot for the same reason but it kinda stopped satisfying that urge, maybe because it lacks sweetness. my teeth are hosed up anyway so I need to stop with all the acidic and sugary stuff, probably :(

juche avocado posted:

sunandspring I hope you're feeling okay

pulling for you

:same: sometimes I randomly think about the other posters in this thread and the things they’ve posted about their current situation and stop for a minute and hope they’re doing okay

idk if I mentioned this in here but a close friend of mine from high school and early college overdosed a week or two ago. he was smart as gently caress and really similar to me, and we both ended up addicts. I had parents who helped me get treatment and he had no family, and now he’s dead. since then I’ve been thinking a lot like “oh I hope <goon x> or <friend y> is doing okay”, since I was kinda blindsided by the news after not seeing him for a few years

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I need to go vacuum my car and the thought of doing that is making me so anxious that I feel like I'm going to vomit. My brain never ceases to amaze me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

I need to go vacuum my car and the thought of doing that is making me so anxious that I feel like I'm going to vomit. My brain never ceases to amaze me.

I had a complete weeping breakdown because I tried to clear up some clutter in the basement last weekend. Cleaning is fuckin hard man