Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to dine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

luxury handset posted:

"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to dine."

The petite bourgeoisie are the worst...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

paberu posted:

You can get brackets at Ikea that can clear the blinds track such as these - https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60217228/ . I have a set of of these and they work really well - enough clearance to have the curtain easily slide.

IKEA also sells some surprisingly light but very effective blackout curtains.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Maigius posted:

I want to add a new top to a table that used to contain a sewing machine. I think it would look good with a granite top. How would I go about securing a granite slab to a wooden top, or is there a better material?

Probably just bogstandard epoxy would do fine, unless you want to make it removable.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maigius posted:

I want to add a new top to a table that used to contain a sewing machine. I think it would look good with a granite top. How would I go about securing a granite slab to a wooden top, or is there a better material?

Gravity?
(Place the granite top in a wooden frame, or have some kind of pins/tenons between the slab and the table, to keep it from sliding around. The weight of the slab alone should keep it from falling out.)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Mr. Mambold posted:

Probably just bogstandard epoxy would do fine, unless you want to make it removable.

I think epoxy is pretty overkill, aren't most countertops installed with silicone? Except for the seems, those are epoxied together.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

slurry_curry posted:

I think epoxy is pretty overkill, aren't most countertops installed with silicone? Except for the seems, those are epoxied together.

Yes. Idk why I brain farted and forgot the entire existence of silicone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We kept the original everything. It even has a leather pedal wheel belt :syoon: I got the Brother machine inside dated to 1942 1947, but the Mitsubishi table is unknown.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 25, 2019

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Yay, vintage sewing machine! I would never have pegged that machine as being that old. Were Brother machines usually Singer clones before the war? The only vintage ones you ever really see in the US are from the 50's on when sewing machines started to look like something out of the Jetsons.

Also it's kind of blowing my mind to see a treadle machine with such a different design in the table and pedal. Could I ask for a better picture of the lower half?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm sorry, it was actually 1947 (Showa 22). Japan dates everything in emperor years :japan:

The Mitsubishi table only has a hand stamped 377 on the inside of the cover. Idk if it's older or younger than the machine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
So it is a clone! So Singer clones are machines produced by Japanese companies from blueprints the US government handed over during the occupation to get Japanese industry going again. They're almost always Singer 15s, and while that model was originally produced with a treadle option (it is from 1879), I've never seen a clone that was anything other than electric. Neat find.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hell yeah :iia:
I emailed Brother with photos and a uselessly obsure serial number and they did their best to date it for me based on logo style and body shape.

Come visit and pedal my tread :wink:

quote:

ミシンの形状、「BROTHER」のロゴや
日本ミシン製造株式会社製と書かれていること等から、昭和22年頃に製造された「HA1-B1」あるいは「HA1-B2」と
思われます。

peanut fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 25, 2019

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
That machine is rad, nice find

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

peanut posted:

Not gonna kinkshame you but I’m kinda fat, you sure about this?

That’s cool as hell that Brother was able to identify it for you, though. How difficult is it to keep pace on the pedal? I’d imagine that finding a natural rhythm is might be difficult as you’re trying to manipulate the workpiece.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I haven't tried sewing anything yet. Mostly because of the original leather belt, but also mostly laziness :sadpeanut: My kids love to squeak that big old creaker.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That's really cool. My stepmom has a similar one, though I don't know if she's looked into the history of it at all. Also it's broken, sadly. Needs a new leather strap.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Hell yeah :iia:
I emailed Brother with photos and a uselessly obsure serial number and they did their best to date it for me based on logo style and body shape.

That's cool of them. The thing about the clones is there's pretty much no manufacturing documentation on them; they just got cranked out and dumped on the market with no concern for product lines or branding or anything. Brother was making machines before the war, and it looks like they carried over the markings from their original design to the 15, at least for the early models. Later ones you'd only know it was a Brother by looking for stamps on the body.

If anyone wants to actually use their treadle, parts are pretty easy to get online. You can also convert most models to electric with an external engine if you want to go that route.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Beat Master J post the toilet

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/residential-real-estate/get-last-look-inside-shag-carpeted-wallpapered-time-capsule-its-demolished

:stare:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

These sorts of rooms look like deathtraps and I don't even drink

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
im the toilet paper holder above the bath hole

or maybe its a giant shitter with a hose attachment to wash it down

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Hot Diggity! posted:

Beat Master J post the toilet

He doesn't need to, we can just envision it:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Aren't there toilets (I think mostly in Japan?) where the sink is part of the toilet tank and drains right into it?

totalnewbie posted:

Yes. It's nice to put some rocks in there, etc. Very pretty.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PRADA SLUT posted:

i'm pretty sure that a soap bar holder. You probably don't see them too much anymore, with all the one piece molded plastic showers and the molded in shelves and whatnot, but they were a thing a few decades back.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Yeah the thing in the bottom of the pit is a soap dish, the thing on the step is a small/hand towel bar.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

is the recess on the left some kind of rain water style shower? there appears to be some kind of transparent plate directly above it; they aren't trying to allow actual rain water in there are they?

also i can just see coming into that bathroom too quick because i'm in a hurry to use the toilet and completely misstepping into the bathing pit. i'd really be eating poo poo if that happened.

edit: again that kind of bizarre design seems like it'd only maybe kinda make sense if this was a really tiny room and they had to get creative trying to fit a full bath in there, but that's obviously not the case. why do this when the room is enormous enough to already contain all of the elements of a full bath?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
E: EIDE :argh:
E2: wesley too

PRADA SLUT posted:

Forgivable since it's a low-res photo, but that's a soap dish.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 26, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what even is this supposed to be

i mean, this entire house. but i'm confused what that object is

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Toilet tax: gently caress it, I just want this bathroom

luxury handset posted:

what even is this supposed to be

i mean, this entire house. but i'm confused what that object is

It's a crib. Welcome to the nursery of the damned.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

there wolf posted:

I’m going to assume it’s a doggie bed for a little yippy dog

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 27, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

there wolf posted:

i see it now. christ

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
POST THE TOILET, COWARD

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Bloop posted:

POST THE TOILET, COWARD

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Toilet tax: Interior rug alternatives

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

there wolf posted:

I'm sorry but a greyhound will never be as comfortable as a rug.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

there wolf posted:

Toilet tax: gently caress it, I just want this bathroom

I loooove that wallpaper. It reminds me of this fabric I need some throw pillows out of, but it’s like $200/yd and I don’t need throw pillows that badly. (Nobody needs throw pillows)
https://www.fschumacher.com/item/172935

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

there wolf posted:

I'm the SI on the bookcase to fetishize other cultures and to let other whites know I am cool with the ethnics. I'm also the nutcracker family that's quirky and cute and indicates my family's status.

This bathroom gave me psychic damage. For a split second I had to urge to escape through that window before realizing I was safe in my home.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Consider this. You're showering up all lathered and such and have a wash cloth in hand. You're about to wash your rear end when you turn around and spot the Slenderman right outside the window. wyd?

#CYOA #interiors #follow4follow #nature #blessed

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

value-brand cereal posted:

Consider this. You're showering up all lathered and such and have a wash cloth in hand. You're about to wash your rear end when you turn around and spot the Slenderman right outside the window. wyd?

#CYOA #interiors #follow4follow #nature #blessed

flash 'em my little weiner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

there wolf posted: