Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i remember playing the hell out of gauntlet on the C64 as a kid. i don't think i ever got remotely this far lmao

these trolly as gently caress exits are incredible. what great game design

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Gooo Digshake!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Former Human posted:

I don't remember Gauntlet on NES being so ugly.
If I recall, to actually make the game work on the NES at all with its sprite limits they had to do the enemies using the background layer, with all the potential wonkiness that implies.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

:orb:

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

That Duck Tales Moon theme remix was awesome.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I love feasel

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One of the best songs on the NES, Stage J

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also I like the fact that they often times play tunes from the upcoming game during setup.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Pizza time!

e: "slimballs"

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 27, 2019

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The hell is this

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i think i only got past this level a couple times with my bro and here these guys just glitch through and break it

augh how do they know who is who

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

This game is wonderful and amazing and beautiful...

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

lol @ double Raph glitch

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

someone awful. posted:

i think i only got past this level a couple times with my bro and here these guys just glitch through and break it

augh how do they know who is who

One of them is Mike, it clearly says this at the top of the screen

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Inco posted:

One of them is Mike, it clearly says this at the top of the screen

oh, of course!

great run, i forgot what a rad soundtrack that game had.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
did you guys see that crazy typing game the other night? that was the nuttiest poo poo ever

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Man Ristar is bringing up a lot of nostalgia. I played the poo poo out of this game as a kiddo.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

:sanix: 3D blast looks like it could be a good game, but it's not

Aaah, who am I kidding, it doesn't even look like that

:sanix: :sanix: :sanix:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Robotnik sure was scrapping near the bottom of the barrel for his boss mechs this time around. A snowman dropper, alright then...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ghost Head posted:

did you guys see that crazy typing game the other night? that was the nuttiest poo poo ever

Do you mean the Textorcist?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cave Story is always being played with broken (japanese?) text and even though they are just speed scrolling the text it always bugs me having no idea what's going on.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

TeaJay posted:

Cave Story is always being played with broken (japanese?) text and even though they are just speed scrolling the text it always bugs me having no idea what's going on.

Play cave story tbh

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SeXReX posted:

Play cave story tbh

I can't read broken japanese

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The solution is to play it in English! They're only playing it in japanese when speedrunning because japanese text is more condensed and has to scroll less to be shown. Cave Story is one of the best indie games ever.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My attempt at humour bombs

I've been meaning to play it for a while now, it's on sale on Steam currently too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean you also could play it in broken japanese anyway, treat it like one of those arthouse games where you don't know what the plot is but you know it's pretty to look at.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, if I had to guess, a game like Cave Story has two options for plot/lore:

A) Guy goes in a cave, kills everyone
B) Evangelion-type multi-layered space opera delving into gods, afterlife and existentialism

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I think it's more of "robot guy goes into cave to save robot girl"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kikas posted:

I think it's more of "robot guy goes into cave to save cute rabbit people"

Almost got it!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Why on God's green earth does this game use a Finnish folk dance song as the background music?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Cave story is why

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Kikas posted:

I think it's more of "robot guy goes into cave to save robot girl"

Is the robot part supposed to be a spoiler? I played the original pretty blind with lo-fi graphics and when someone says ‘hey you’re a robot!’ I was surprised.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It would be great if they announced another incentive for Kingdom Hearts III that made it even longer and pushed the Mario block back 90 minutes or so

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
OK, some of the background chimes in Cave Story that's going on right now sound exactly like some PA announcement chimes that are common in Asia.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That block room was insane

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

drat, he made Hell look easy.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that Hell run.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
is that Sent in a wig or what

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
my favorite thing about 2hu is that like 10% of it's fangames have production values out the loving wazoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any good runs since Jumper last night?