Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

demifiend in DDS is like the biggest Nope i have ever gave to a postgame boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The dumb thing about the Demifiend fight is that there's basically a turn-by-turn strategy for beating him, which isn't even 100% reliable, but that strategy is essentially the only way to beat him and it only works sometimes if you don't get unlucky

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Satan in DDS2 has a similar dick move at one point but he's not remotely on the same level of "Walk in with the exact equipment and knowing exactly what you're going to do every single turn or die".

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Expect My Mom posted:

there hasn't been a good finished persona 2 LP on this site, right? Maybe I'll just Experience Persona 2 again rather than Play it

Has anyone even finished an Innocent Sin one at all? The only one I can think of for it ended up getting abandoned super early on.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There's a full playthrough of both IS/EP on Youtube - whole game, no commentary, one singular 17-hour video for each game, if that's what you're into

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
17 hours? that's not nearly enough backtracking to every store in the game for the new party dialogue!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Demifiend in DDS would be fine for a bonus boss if it weren't for Gaea Rage. There's literally no way to survive that other than hope sleep lands so you can dodge it with null sleep or hope that endure procs on someone.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So basically like the Fiend fights in Vanilla SMT IV: Hope that the fiend flubs something, follow a strategy that may or may not work and-- OH GOD PLEASE LET ME GET THAT SMIRK/CRIT.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Fansubs are out for the Persona 5 Animation Valentines Day OVA. It features all the romance routes from a first person perspective, RenxRyuji, the Bad Valentines Day event, then Sae after the credits.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The... shall we say, staggered release, of the Persona 5 anime makes more sense knowing they're trying to keep people engaged so they'll pick up The Royal in October.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj2YypZFkfs

Oh cool, we're getting an SMT movie! :v:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Don't tell anyone, but I think this guy might be a member of the Phantom Thieves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP4__qUJWfM

He gets a new Persona too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HGH posted:

He gets a new Persona too.

It sounds like his new Persona's name might be 'William', which is the first name of Captain Kidd. So it's possible the third Personas will be alternative takes or extensions of their first ones.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Or William Wallace, to keep the theme of martyred rogues and rebels going?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RichterIX posted:

When I first played Nocturne and DDS I found them both deeply unsettling, and I actually think SMT 1 and 2 are kind of scary in their way. I hope SMT5 recaptures some of that and also ever comes out or gets mentioned again.

SMT 1 really set the mood with it's opening cinematic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg4jy2RnnzY
That ominous pulsing, the text crawl across the screen that eventually leads to the Barbarous names, all while flashes of people leading to a bound person. Those games were crafted with horror in mind from the art style to the scenarios as the peaceful city you live in is overrun by monsters or you roam the wastes of a ruined world. I really fell in love with the interface of those games though, there's something about staring through the window of your UI into a SNES Megaten game that is claustrophobic and I haven't found any comparison for it in the later entries as far as the first person dungeon affairs go.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
SMT1 ends its early game pseudo-peaceful area by having a monster impersonate a police officer in order to kill your mother and wear her skin in an attempt to impersonate her.

That's loving hardcore, and it's not even really made all that clear until later versions add extra content to make it explicit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's very clearly will.i.am

Holy poo poo they have Miyano channeling Berg-Katze at the end there

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Does DDS get way harder if you do your builds wrong like Nocturne? Or is it more about skills? I realize I know like nothing about how this game system works other than it's more traditional and there's a sphere grid

Dragonatrix posted:

SMT1 ends its early game pseudo-peaceful area by having a monster impersonate a police officer in order to kill your mother and wear her skin in an attempt to impersonate her.

That's loving hardcore, and it's not even really made all that clear until later versions add extra content to make it explicit.
that scene's great, but it ending with Law Hero going "Try not to feel too bad" even in the iOS version is still very very funny

thank you law hero

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

Does DDS get way harder if you do your builds wrong like Nocturne? Or is it more about skills? I realize I know like nothing about how this game system works other than it's more traditional and there's a sphere grid

Physical and Magic builds are both pretty viable in DDS. Make sure you get at least the initial mantra of each character's weakness since that gives you the Void skill that will cover it. Some people recommend going all the way down the line for the eventual passive resist skill but that's a really big investment for characters like Heat who aren't going to be doing much damage with magic and the active shield skills are all you really need.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
also in DDS you can't really mess up your stat spread enough to actually fail the game, and unlike Nocturne you don't permanently lose moves if you overwrite them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

DDS also has an unlimited supply of farmable stat items

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
I can't believe Ryuji's True Ultimate Persona is just straight up Uncle Death

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Gulping Again posted:

I can't believe Ryuji's True Ultimate Persona is just straight up Uncle Death

Glad to see he's getting more work!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dehry posted:

Fansubs are out for the Persona 5 Animation Valentines Day OVA. It features all the romance routes from a first person perspective, RenxRyuji, the Bad Valentines Day event, then Sae after the credits.

This made the anime worth it despite the lackluster season.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Uggghhh OK finally hit a point in Persona 3 where I think I need to do some grinding

Stupid Sleeping Table blasts my party into the ground in two turns with Megadiola or whatever the strong attack-all Almighty spell is

Have to just put a podcast on or something

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Monkey Fracas posted:

Uggghhh OK finally hit a point in Persona 3 where I think I need to do some grinding

Stupid Sleeping Table blasts my party into the ground in two turns with Megadiola or whatever the strong attack-all Almighty spell is

Oh yeah, gently caress that guy. Basically you need someone with Mediarama to keep up with his damage output.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Oh yeah, gently caress that guy. Basically you need someone with Mediarama to keep up with his damage output.

Just haven't ran into a "you need to flat out have higher numbers" situation yet in the game so I'm a little disappointed- suppose I have breezed through the last few boss fights with element nullification/resistances though so maybe I just wasn't really keeping up

the fact that everything in this block is giving me what looks like shitloads of exp should have been my clue that I was a little underleveled I guess

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Monkey Fracas posted:

Large portions of Tartarus were only made manageable by listening to music and podcasts when I played. I love P3 to bits, but that music makes that whole segment of the game painful to play without distractions.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
thank you for the DDS tips! i'm excited to try it despite the average things I hear, I feel like I'll like it on Style alone

you can change the music by talking to fuuka or otherwise i would have gone insane

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I appreciate the Persona transition to jazzy fun times with accompanying music, but I kind of miss borderline-horror-game Persona 3. Tartarus music was boring, sure, but it did a lot to enhance the atmosphere of creepiness.

I actually think P5 was kind of thematically torn, not just in terms of what it wanted to be about, but also had presentation working against their overall theme. They doubled down on jazz and style, but the game's oppressive atmosphere (cant go out at night, stuck in an attic, hated at school) in the early parts of the game and then later on near Okumura really sucked the life out of the more vibrant aspects of the game. P4 did an okay job of managing this but still had a lot of tonal whiplash, it's be nice to see P6 settle on just being a fun time

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A fun scary time. :twisted:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wark Say posted:

A fun scary time. :twisted:

P6 being about a dream world of horrifying nightmare creatures and palaces based on dream archetypes would be cool as hell

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Thanatos looks so cool

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I appreciate the Persona transition to jazzy fun times with accompanying music, but I kind of miss borderline-horror-game Persona 3. Tartarus music was boring, sure, but it did a lot to enhance the atmosphere of creepiness.

I actually think P5 was kind of thematically torn, not just in terms of what it wanted to be about, but also had presentation working against their overall theme. They doubled down on jazz and style, but the game's oppressive atmosphere (cant go out at night, stuck in an attic, hated at school) in the early parts of the game and then later on near Okumura really sucked the life out of the more vibrant aspects of the game. P4 did an okay job of managing this but still had a lot of tonal whiplash, it's be nice to see P6 settle on just being a fun time

I like how Tartarus' theme added more bits to it as time went on. The entrance theme was fantastic, too.

Way better than Mementos, that's for sure.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mementos music suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

and so did the first Palace's music, but luckily they got kind of better

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

P6 being about a dream world of horrifying nightmare creatures and palaces based on dream archetypes would be cool as hell

Go all in on the Lovecraft stuff, especially the Dreamlands.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'd love Atlus to return to the horror-themed style of RPG, but it feels like that peaked in the PS2 era. For better or worse, it just doesn't seem like that's where their interests lie anymore.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just want more Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'd love Atlus to return to the horror-themed style of RPG, but it feels like that peaked in the PS2 era. For better or worse, it just doesn't seem like that's where their interests lie anymore.

I think part of it is just the technology and that storytelling dovetailing really well at exactly that time. As people have said, the PS2's graphical capabilities and quirks really helped to make the whole thing feel dirty, grimy and a little weird (similarly, I don't think it's a coincidence that Silent Hill made its best games in that era), so that was what they gravitated to making. That's not really the forte of current technology, which is a lot better at bright colors and high-fidelity visuals, so you can do something as vibrant and detailed as Persona 5.

Unrelated to Megaten, but that same sort of logic is why early PS3/360-era was the day of the gritty shooters; it was hard to make bright colors look good in those 'still learning HD graphics' days thanks to both knowledge limitations and hardware, but you could get a really good desaturated look going, which sat very comfortably on war stories and the like.

I'd really love a good sort of 'darker' JRPG right now too, though, because as much as I love modern JRPGs being really visually spectacular, they are all very bright, optimistic and high-aiming in story. On a different direction entirely it's why I like Octopath Traveler, because rather than any real world-saving so much of its story is spent doing really small-scale stories in a setting where everything's slightly lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cleretic posted:

Unrelated to Megaten, but that same sort of logic is why early PS3/360-era was the day of the gritty shooters; it was hard to make bright colors look good in those 'still learning HD graphics' days thanks to both knowledge limitations and hardware, but you could get a really good desaturated look going, which sat very comfortably on war stories and the like.
Somewhere a Dreamcast sheds a single tear.