Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Roberts doing his typical short term PR spin to cover for his long term republican minority rule agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

haveblue posted:

All the Dems are going to have to start talking about how the Court gets things wrong and needs to be corrected. It can't be left as the final and ultimate arbiter any more, Roberts has to be made to fail in preserving that image.

Its already happening somewhat with certain cities in Blue states essentially refusing to cooperate with federal demanda targeting minority populations, or at the least stalling into a federal judge in said state issues an injuction.

Like that poo poo seems insane to me and its happened at least 4 times already

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Telsa Cola posted:

Im waiting for the inevitability where blue states essentially tell scotus/other rulings to gently caress off.

There is precedent for a President or state to tell the Supreme Court to gently caress off

...that precedent is Andrew Jackson involving Native American genocide unfortunately, but it is there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The big mess of the census decision appears to be holding that while they agree that adding a citizenship question is something that is permitted, the government made a bad argument as to why it was done in this instance. There will most likely not be a citizenship question on the 2020 census but only because the clock has run out, it's still an open question legally.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Telsa Cola posted:

Im waiting for the inevitability where blue states essentially tell scotus/other rulings to gently caress off.

Please give my compliments to my friends in your State and say to them, that if a single drop of blood shall be shed there in opposition to the laws of the United States, I will hang the first man I can lay my hand on engaged in such treasonable conduct, upon the first tree I can reach.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

They are just going to put the question on the forms anyway

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
America...it was nice for as long as it lasted

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

haveblue posted:

All the Dems are going to have to start talking about how the Court gets things wrong and needs to be corrected. It can't be left as the final and ultimate arbiter any more, Roberts has to be made to fail in preserving that image.

yeah i think we do need to lay the groundwork for court-packin'

it even has a historical fig leaf! there should be as many SC justices as there are circuit courts (as long as it's odd)!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe I'm just getting to the "need a politics break" of the loop but the past couple weeks seem like we are heading towards another civil war as government just stops working because of one side and the other side does jack poo poo about it. It's really freaking me out

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This. They're going to print it with the question and then say "oh whoops we used an older version. No time to do a reprint."

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Captain Invictus posted:

hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

I know this is a cringy quote from a video game or something but it’s true and I love it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if you a lily white white man, and you seen those Census taker jobs you should take it and push back on any regressive shits and maybe(definitely not really) be a regressives say poo poo vector.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lol this was my thought as well

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Maybe I'm just getting to the "need a politics break" of the loop but the past couple weeks seem like we are heading towards another civil war as government just stops working because of one side and the other side does jack poo poo about it. It's really freaking me out

It's probably more likely that you're just heading to 30 or more years of Republican stranglehold on government

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gatts posted:

Was it really, though?

Relatively, at best, at times.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

cr0y posted:

Lol this was my thought as well

The rule of law only kind of exists now. That's comforting.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

PhazonLink posted:

if you a lily white white man, and you seen those Census taker jobs you should take it and push back on any regressive shits and maybe(definitely not really) be a regressives say poo poo vector.

And stay away from older male psychiatrists with kind of a creepy vibe. Especially if they have Italian wine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this decision is probably grounds for it to be blocked by a lower court

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

America was an okay idea turned into a spirit crushing reality

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

WoodrowSkillson posted:

After watching the poo poo they've pulled over the last 3+ years I wouldn't be surprised. "Oops, we didn't have time to reprint, so we'll just announce you can ignore that question." *wink* *wink*

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
So have we officially earned that stamp of "Failed Democracy" yet? How are the states supposed to combat gerrymandering if the people making and passing the laws were put there and continue to benefit from said gerrymandering? Not to sound overdramatic, but it sounds like SCOTUS has essentially left open rebellion as the only means of having this addressed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gatts posted:

It really wasn't

Ogmius815 posted:

I know this is a cringy quote from a video game or something but it’s true and I love it.
The original dawn of war, and it is eternally relevant

Another quote from that series that will be relevant to the coming civil war as the rich are dragged from their bunkers to be devoured: OUR ENEMIES HIDE IN METAL BOXES, THE COWARDS, THE FOOLS! WE SHALL TAKE AWAY...THEIR METAL BOXES.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Are the lower courts less likely to approve of the census question? I guess that's the big question for me. Setting aside the time frame involved and this regime's ability to find its rear end with two hands and a map, if the lower courts are less disposed to approving the question, then maybe this is a win in disguise?

In either case, Dems need to pack the court.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Almost Smart posted:

Not to sound overdramatic, but it sounds like SCOTUS has essentially left open rebellion as the only means of having this addressed.

Some cities are already doing this with things like refusing to cooperate with ICE and such.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Are the lower courts less likely to approve of the census question?

Definitely not after what McConnell has done.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

So have we officially earned that stamp of "Failed Democracy" yet? How are the states supposed to combat gerrymandering if the people making and passing the laws were put there and continue to benefit from said gerrymandering? Not to sound overdramatic, but it sounds like SCOTUS has essentially left open rebellion as the only means of having this addressed.

- most gerrymanders are fragile by definition in wave years
- state courts, sometimes

it's still a bad decision

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Are the lower courts less likely to approve of the census question? I guess that's the big question for me. Setting aside the time frame involved and this regime's ability to find its rear end with two hands and a map, if the lower courts are less disposed to approving the question, then maybe this is a win in disguise?

No, in fact after the leak exposing what the question was about, one of the lower courts actually ordered the case be sent back to them, because the judge is pissed.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

Some cities are already doing this with things like refusing to cooperate with ICE and such.

I think you're drastically over-estimating what sanctuary city laws and related mayoral decrees actually involve.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Its not a win in disguise, it's a win (on the 2020 census at least). In order for it to be added, they would somehow need to come up with a better truer reasoning for adding it than they already gave, explain away the "we did this explicitly to help white people" evidence which was not addressed in this opinion, have all that believed by the court, and do it all before the October deadline. It ain't happening

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

IIRC the Maryland judge declined to rule on the basis of whether there was discriminatory intent and used a process violation basis, but then asked to have the case back to make a ruling on discriminatory intent after the thumb-drive files came out. I can't really imagine why she'd do such a thing other than the fact she's going to knock it down on that basis.

e:f,b

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Would anti-gerrymandering rules be enforceable on a national level if Congress passed a law to ban the practice?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yes, but they're sure to bolster theirs with broad voter disenfranchisement, which is also now basically fine according to this court.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Going to be a day drunk day ain't it?

Gatts posted:

Don't lie now

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm leading my cities census outreach so the no citizenship question is huge if they don't try and just put it down anyway. At least gets me out of a bind of trying to say "you don't technically have to answer that one" to our Latino population that already doesn't trust anyone from the government (for drat good reason).

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
I hate the gerrymander decision but is there any federal angle to attack it at all? I thought how to select their allocated reps was completely up to the state and the federal level has no say in it.

Kammat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 27, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

-ballot initiatives, in the states that permit them.

It's still a bad decision that should be exploited as hard as possible to destroy the legitimacy of the court.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I think you're drastically over-estimating what sanctuary city laws and related mayoral decrees actually involve.

Yeah, they're refusing to *help* ICE. They have no power to bar ICE from cities entirely or really hinder them at all, they're just declining to provided non-mandatory assistance.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We break the gerrymander in another wave year (hopefully, it's not like Trump is not loving up even worse now) and then we gerrymander the GOP out of existence until we are ordered to stop by Roberts in a reverse decision

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The functionality of the executive branch has been gutted by the Trump administration, the legislative branch can't pass legislation except via the reconciliation process when the same party holds all three houses and the supreme court is openly partisan. US federal govt dysfunction has been ramping up slowly that it's been easy to overlook until an event like today's rulings make it clear that it's not working anymore. Whether this leads to civil war is speculation, IMO a Russia-style managed democracy is very possible (and arguably already here).

Also JFC Canada, Australia and NZ are political tire fires and still managed to ban partisan gerrymandering. America is failing at the first tiny baby step of democratic reform.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this decision is probably grounds for it to be blocked by a lower court

How exactly will the courts stop them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

marshmonkey posted:

Would anti-gerrymandering rules be enforceable on a national level if Congress passed a law to ban the practice?

Yes