Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

G0RF posted:

Did they identify the venue yet? Curious if they’re aiming for bigger than CitCon 2018 or if they’re dialing back this year.

Seems like Squadron 42 should be heavily featured this year, right? After all, Roberts’ Magnum Opus releases next year with the biggest star lineup in gaming history and $46 million worth of marketing behind it, right?

Yet something tells me it’s going to be a boring blathering nerdout like 2018 was. Lots of breakout sessions talking about “TrainTalk: the pillars of planetary transit tech” or “Flora 2.0: the future of horticulture systems” or some other boring crap to distract from the fact that Stanton still isn’t finished after 3 years of work and Squadron still isn’t close to a retail or even beta release. Game development is hard, etc.

Oh well. At least we’ll have Rexzilla to keep us hyped through another year...

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1143930201564504064

Uh oh. Seems like Larp Citizen is past its peak, too. What happened to all that new blood Jade Starwatcher was going on about? The fresh-faced space gamers that were going to take this thing to the next level? I was told their would be hype, Jade, like Bitcoin levels of it.

It’s almost like this game sucks or something.

G0RF it is almost as if you don't believe in the dream or something? I need you to be more positive.

It seems smaller, less ticket sales, no VIP section, no +1's, must be a paid up believer no dirty outsiders and I'm sure there will be the same cosplay people sitting on the same props from last year.

Taxxe:

https://twitter.com/CuteEmergency/status/1140965637721927681?s=20

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF posted:

Did they identify the venue yet?

But it looks like they're booked in November with dentistry conventions and what not.

Maybe "Professional Dentistry North 2019" is CR's Blue Harvest to throw off the eager crowds.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 27, 2019

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
with a hard brexit happening just a month before that, I'm sure nothing will go wrong

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

with a hard brexit happening just a month before that, I'm sure nothing will go wrong

It's a tier 0 CitCon, times and dates could change at any point. You could find that you've bought a ticket for an event in Aruba in 2018! You never know.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dementropy posted:

But it looks like they're booked in November with dentistry conventions and what not.

Maybe "Professional Dentistry North 2019" is CR's Blue Harvest to throw off the eager crowds.

So either the 1200 seat ballroom or the 11000 seat theater... With $46 million for marketing Squadron, a game most certainly coming out in 2020, they’re probably gonna book that theater and still sell out!

TheAgent posted:

With their annual tax credit for Squadron 42, a majority British made game coming out in 2020, it will more than pay for itself!

monkeytek posted:

G0RF it is almost as if you don't believe in the dream or something? I need you to be more positive.

It seems smaller, less ticket sales, no VIP section, no +1's, must be a paid up believer no dirty outsiders and I'm sure there will be the same cosplay people sitting on the same props from last year.

I gotta believe!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

G0RF posted:

Seems like Squadron 42 should be heavily featured this year, right? After all, Roberts’ Magnum Opus releases next year with the biggest star lineup in gaming history and $46 million worth of marketing behind it, right?

No, the BETA is supposed to release next year. Which, for a single-player only game, means.... Something. And that's AFTER a 6-month Alpha. So if you don't see the Alpha happen, well... It sure ain't coming soon!

Seriously, I'm rather amused at the concept of a long, semi-public beta for a SINGLE PLAYER, campaign-focused game. Will the backers get a demo? A few levels? The entire game? Will everyone who actually might want to play this game already have played through it by the time it's "finished"?

I mean, sure, early access is a thing, and there's plenty of SP games in early access. But normally those are roguelike/sandbox games that change and grow as time goes on, getting more things to do and more ways to play. But a game that's meant to have a dramatic plot and be experienced once...?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Software development is insanely easy to measure, you just need to have a ruler that obeys non-Robertsian geometry.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

agile delenda est

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Did they identify the venue yet? Curious if they’re aiming for bigger than CitCon 2018 or if they’re dialing back this year.

Yet something tells me it’s going to be a boring blathering nerdout like 2018 was. Lots of breakout sessions talking about “TrainTalk: the pillars of planetary transit tech” or “Flora 2.0: the future of horticulture systems” or some other boring crap to distract from the fact that Stanton still isn’t finished after 3 years of work and Squadron still isn’t close to a retail or even beta release. Game development is hard, etc.

Uh oh. Seems like Larp Citizen is past its peak, too. What happened to all that new blood Jade Starwatcher was going on about? The fresh-faced space gamers that were going to take this thing to the next level? I was told their would be hype, Jade, like Bitcoin levels of it.

Did... did that guy's undersuit turn invisible when the door-fog started or am I just going crazy?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No, the BETA is supposed to release next year. Which, for a single-player only game, means.... Something. And that's AFTER a 6-month Alpha. So if you don't see the Alpha happen, well... It sure ain't coming soon!

Seriously, I'm rather amused at the concept of a long, semi-public beta for a SINGLE PLAYER, campaign-focused game. Will the backers get a demo? A few levels? The entire game? Will everyone who actually might want to play this game already have played through it by the time it's "finished"?

I mean, sure, early access is a thing, and there's plenty of SP games in early access. But normally those are roguelike/sandbox games that change and grow as time goes on, getting more things to do and more ways to play. But a game that's meant to have a dramatic plot and be experienced once...?

My favorite angle here is that everyone who gives a poo poo about it already paid for it. But their latest investor, who put the hard deadline up, invested because Chris told them his magnum opus would sell COD numbers of copies. That is why I absolutely want SQ42 to release. I'm dying for it. When it sells 9 copies and 6 are returned, and the reviews eviscerate it, I want to hear Chris's stammering excuses. The E.L.E. will be the game itself.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

My favorite angle here is that everyone who gives a poo poo about it already paid for it. But their latest investor, who put the hard deadline up, invested because Chris told them his magnum opus would sell COD numbers of copies. That is why I absolutely want SQ42 to release. I'm dying for it. When it sells 9 copies and 6 are returned, and the reviews eviscerate it, I want to hear Chris's stammering excuses. The E.L.E. will be the game itself.

I'm just trying to figure out what their angle is going to be on trying to resell the game to people who already bought it.

I kinda wonder if it'll be something like 3 months before release they'll start talking about financial problems and try and get true fans to buy it again anyway, cause if they don't make enough well.. there might not be enough money to finish.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
they'll launch it on stadia

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, and the arbitration clause crashed in.

Whoops. Age strikes again....

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

agile delenda est

The second something better comes along...

It’s vague enough to avoid blame, and encourages thinking that doesn’t allow for blockers, but it can be horribly misused and scar people for life. A bit like any applied psychology.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Beet Wagon posted:

Did... did that guy's undersuit turn invisible when the door-fog started or am I just going crazy?

Scruffpuff posted:

Why can’t you guys ever be positive? It’s like I’m the only person here who believes in the power of dreamwork.

(Dreams + Teamwork = Dreamwork)

TheAgent posted:

That’s the spirit!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Amazing Zimmo posted:

In the beginning, star citizen was envisioned. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely considered a bad move.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

God yes. Not even COD sells COD copies anymore.

That said, this post is an illustration of why SQ42 will never, ever release. I don't care what they promised that investor. He's done that before and reneged, he will do it again.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

Look at those poxy June streamed hours. Check bounced?

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Or Epic Store exclusive.

Oh God please.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

G0RF posted:

What's wrong with this footage? This actually looks pretty cool, and looks like it's open world PvP?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

God yes. Not even COD sells COD copies anymore.

That said, this post is an illustration of why SQ42 will never, ever release. I don't care what they promised that investor. He's done that before and reneged, he will do it again.

Chumpatizing Calder is a slightly different thing that chumpatizing Miku. He was something of a fearsome figure during his music biz years. Nobody knows the legal fine print of the investment deal but I’d be amazed if it gave Chris the wriggle room he’s used to.

I said come in! posted:

What's wrong with this footage? This actually looks pretty cool, and looks like it's open world PvP?

Putting aside the glitches and choppiness, what I meant by linking to that is that his audience engagement numbers are way down.

This was January:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1089987596539912197
You can see it in his Twitch rank and stats, too. He was in the top 500 most popular streamers half a year ago. He’s dropped a couple thousand in rank since. He’s streaming it less frequently to a smaller, less engaged audience.

Maybe it’s seasonal. Maybe it’s that 3.5 is particularly garbage. Or maybe it’s something else entirely. But I’m starting to wonder if Rex is going to stick it out much longer.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

G0RF posted:

Chumpatizing Calder is a slightly different thing that chumpatizing Miku. He was something of a fearsome figure during his music biz years. Nobody knows the legal fine print of the investment deal but I’d be amazed if it gave Chris the wriggle room he’s used to.

Putting aside the glitches and choppiness, what I meant by linking to that is that his audience engagement numbers are way down.

This was January:

You can see it in his Twitch rank and stats, too. He was in the top 500 most popular streamers half a year ago. He’s dropped a couple thousand in rank since. He’s streaming it less frequently to a smaller, less engaged audience.

Maybe it’s seasonal. Maybe it’s that 3.5 is particularly garbage. Or maybe it’s something else entirely. But I’m starting to wonder if Rex is going to stick it out much longer.

The contract between Red Bull and CI!G is at an end maybe? Remember when they got the $46 million investment for advertising is also around the time Rex (who is sponsored by Red Bull) started streaming SC out of no where and then surprisingly SC turned up on Red Bulls gaming show.

I mean $46 million can buy you quite a few view bots even though they wouldn't of wasted that much money on.... hmm LOL

Amazing Zimmo fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 27, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

You mean this guy?

I have no idea what happens, but it looks super weird.

TheAgent posted:

That would have been hilarious, especially if they end up with metrics showing that Stadia players on average play for about 5-10 minutes before switching to some other game and never coming back :D

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

reverend crabhands posted:

Or Epic Store exclusive.

Oh God please.

Well, no, that would give Chris Roberts and backers someone else to blame when his magnum opus falls flat on the ground and dies. I want them to launch on PC, PS4/5 and Xbox1/whatever so we can watch them fail on all platforms everywhere.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

I said come in! posted:

I'm gonna buy a ship/pledge/donate/preorder/tithe/subscribe.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lord Stimperor posted:

Even if Star citizen explodes spectacularly at some point, I fear that it will take it's biggest mystery with it: who is Mirificus?

Once this is all just a distant memory, I'll still be wondering who this hero or heroine was that waded through all the bizarre poo poo so we didn't have to.

I once saw Mirificus post in one of my threads about something unrelated to Star Citizen.

I cherish that post to this day.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

What will happen first? The inevitable collapse of society due to climate change or the release of Star Citizen?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

TheAgent posted:

This makes a ton of sense. If C!G release it on a different platform first, they can get lots of people who already own the game to pay for it again. They could also try to get some money from google in the process, by promoting it as a timed exclusive.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nah, you can bet the SC crowd are all PC Master Racers and would get real, real mad about that.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Nah, you can bet the SC crowd are all PC Master Racers and would get real, real mad about that.

Don't underestimate how willing these idiots are to eat a Roberts poo poo sandwich. There'd be so many ways for C!G and the die hards to spin this as "a good thing"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maybe, maybe not. From my experience, if there's one thing tedious game dads are dedicated to, it's the superiority of their gaming PC over plebeian consoles.

That said, we can all agree that the most absurd idea is that CIG will ever release something.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You be surprised how much leeway they'll give the architect of their dreams if he makes big enough promises.

Now, who am I talking about?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Hav posted:

You be surprised how much leeway they'll give the architect of their dreams if he makes big enough promises.

TheAgent and Love Pledge :v:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Hav posted:

Derek Smart and July Blog 2019 :v:

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

G0RF posted:

This was January:

He even spills his Red Bull over his keyboard at the end of this hilariously janky bit of FPS play.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/444667667?t=56m40s

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Pretty easy, just say the PC version is the Ultimate Edition and will have better visuals, more mocap and super secret missions.

Then release a poor PC port a year later.

What do you mean, what ultimate edition? We never promised anything like that.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Peter.Quint posted:

He even spills his Red Bull over his keyboard at the end of this hilariously janky bit of FPS play.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/444667667?t=56m40s

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Holy poo poo, that is some peak cringe. Am I right in assuming there's no stakes here at all, both sides just specifically gathered in that spot to create a roleplaying battle for the stream? He's acting like it's the most intense battle royale he's ever played or something.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 27, 2019