Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I've downloaded FFXIV and am going to start playing again for Shadowbringers, but I basically missed all of Stormblood. I've looked up the new changes coming with Stormbringers but does anyone know of a "so you missed Stormblood, here's what will be relevant going forward" guide?

Also does anyone know of/have a cliff notes version of the quirky mechanics in the various dungeons/primal fights. I'm sure vague recollection will fill in some details but I've not touched any of the Stormblood ones and it's usually just easier to be prepared ahead of time than toss the coin of telling the party you're "new".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Firstborn posted:

I hope Danny Devito plays Alphinaud in the actual, real life, no joking FFXIV live action television series on Netflix that is coming.

I'm in the deadzone between HW and SB as far as MSQ goes, level 62, so I guess I have to wait a few weeks to bring the shadow. Been enjoying it, though. Also, I'm on Excalibur. Is <TUPAC> the "Please Be Careful" goons??

Also Alisaie
TUPAC is DGKK

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firstborn posted:

I hope Danny Devito plays Alphinaud in the actual, real life, no joking FFXIV live action television series on Netflix that is coming.

"What the gently caress's a 'Carbuncle'?"

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

nessin posted:

So I've downloaded FFXIV and am going to start playing again for Shadowbringers, but I basically missed all of Stormblood. I've looked up the new changes coming with Stormbringers but does anyone know of a "so you missed Stormblood, here's what will be relevant going forward" guide?

Also does anyone know of/have a cliff notes version of the quirky mechanics in the various dungeons/primal fights. I'm sure vague recollection will fill in some details but I've not touched any of the Stormblood ones and it's usually just easier to be prepared ahead of time than toss the coin of telling the party you're "new".

There's a lot of dungeons, if you've got a second monitor or don't mind quickly tabbing out the various wikis have boss summary sections for each dungeon and trial and it's probably easier to just pull that up than have someone summarize them all here. https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/The_Sirensong_Sea here's the one for the first dungeon.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

Relax Or DIE posted:

Also so I can look smart in front of my friends how do you pronounce goetia?

Apparently there are multiple options: go-ETT-ee-uh, go-EE-tee-uh, go-EE-shee-uh, or go-EE-shuh.

I'll go with go-EE-shuh as I'm an incredibly busy person and don't have time for a fourth syllable.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Nietzsche posted:

Apparently there are multiple options: go-ETT-ee-uh, go-EE-tee-uh, go-EE-shee-uh, or go-EE-shuh.

I'll go with go-EE-shuh as I'm an incredibly busy person and don't have time for a fourth syllable.

I'm partial to GOAT-see

e: it's got a ring to it

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kaubocks posted:

i'm no theorycrafter, and i need to wait for all the mch mains to start doing the math once the game goes live, BUT

poking my head around the balance discord it sounds like hypercharge might have an animation lock. if this is the case, you might only be able to get 5 heat blasts during an overheat rather than 6. if this is true, it might only be worth heat blasting during a wildfire window and then normal combos the rest of the time? they might have put the 20 potency bump because if hypercharge > heat blast outside of wildfire was a dps loss there'd be no point in doing it, so this is a way of giving it some benefit

That seems really weird-- surely the cooldown reduction on Ricochet and Gauss Round would push things back into Heat Blast's favor.

Hearing that you can only ever get five Heat Blasts inside of Overcharge is great, though; seems like it would address a lot of the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how difficult and ping-reliant it'd be to fit six Heat Blasts inside Overcharge.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Nietzsche posted:

I think it's supposed to be go-ETT-ee-ah. From wikipedia : The Ancient Greek word γοητεία (goēteía) means "charm, jugglery, sorcery" .

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

shadowbungus.............

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

smokestersky posted:

So with the BLM updates (buffs to me), it looks like we can get up to 5 flares in a row!

Umbral Heart Flare > Umbral Soul > Umbral Heart Flare > Flare > Manafont > Flare > Ether > Flare!

All but 1 of these can be insta cast.

Plus, you can now ice 3 at zero mp, and follow up with double Fouls, then back to more flares even faster!

AND 2 seconds were added to Astral/Umbral timer so it's harder to lose Enochian!

...it pays to play Yoshi-p's favorite class.

When you’re doing an AoE rotation, I think the idea is that after your last Flare you’ll actually be using Freeze now since it will both give you UI3 *and* a single Umbral Heart, meaning you can totally skip the Blizzard 4 cast before you go right into fire and start spamming more Flares.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Philonius posted:

I think it's supposed to be go-ETT-ee-ah. From wikipedia : The Ancient Greek word γοητεία (goēteía) means "charm, jugglery, sorcery" .

So they're tomestones of juggling.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

mrfishstick posted:

When you’re doing an AoE rotation, I think the idea is that after your last Flare you’ll actually be using Freeze now since it will both give you UI3 *and* a single Umbral Heart, meaning you can totally skip the Blizzard 4 cast before you go right into fire and start spamming more Flares.

I glanced at BLM channel on the Balance and apparently triple Flare might be standard for the AOE rotation-- one Flare to get out of Umbral Ice and into Astral Fire, and then your standard two in the Fire phase.

So like: (in Astral Fire with Umbral Hearts) Flare -> Flare -> Freeze -> (Foul if available) -> Thunder 4 -> Flare -> (go to start)

Please look Flareward to it.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

small bird pudding posted:

So they're tomestones of juggling.

Clearly mime will be our next limited job then.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In less spectacularly explosive news, over on SMN garuda's auto attacks are now aoe. Thats a thing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cabbit posted:

I glanced at BLM channel on the Balance and apparently triple Flare might be standard for the AOE rotation-- one Flare to get out of Umbral Ice and into Astral Fire, and then your standard two in the Fire phase.

So like: (in Astral Fire with Umbral Hearts) Flare -> Flare -> Freeze -> (Foul if available) -> Thunder 4 -> Flare -> (go to start)

Please look Flareward to it.

Are you sure? I've only seen 2:1 Flare:Freeze rotations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Cabbit posted:

That seems really weird-- surely the cooldown reduction on Ricochet and Gauss Round would push things back into Heat Blast's favor.

Hearing that you can only ever get five Heat Blasts inside of Overcharge is great, though; seems like it would address a lot of the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how difficult and ping-reliant it'd be to fit six Heat Blasts inside Overcharge.

fitting six heat blasts wasn't really the problem, it's that 6 heat blasts = 3 full gauss round/ricochet charges so you're overcapping on charges unless you can weave between a 1.5 gcd which some people just can't do due to ping

doing basic rear end napkin math is tough to suss out, because i'm not a theorycrafter. 4 hits of basic combo under overheat is like 1380 potency, but you also gain 20 heat and 10 battery. meanwhile 5 hits of heat blast under overheat is only 1100, but you get 600~ potency worth of gauss round and ricochet charges. it'll take someone doing some crunching to figure out if the heat and battery gain of the main combo make it worthwhile

this is if hypercharge has animation lock at all, of course

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I figured they would, but it's nice to have confirmation there is in fact a special quest that only happens if you complete all the Role Quests. And also all the Class changes are great.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sleng Teng posted:

The wait for this expansion is a rollercoaster of emotions.

First, I was definitely going to play GNB first because it's the new hotness.
Then, I was definitely going to play WAR first because it's still good and I want to hit the new content first.
Then, I was definitely going to play DRK first because it's the expansion job and I want to hit the new content first.
Now, I am definitely going to play PLD first because it's got some great QOL changes, buffs, does damage 4 different ways, and I want to hit the new content first.

Too many good tanks. ShB: the tank expansion

PLD looks absolutely amazing, I was fully ready to switch to WAR but it lost its ability to be basically invincible during trash pulls, and then PLD gained...well...everything it needed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It sounds like I won't have trouble leveling healers at least.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

hobbesmaster posted:

In less spectacularly explosive news, over on SMN garuda's auto attacks are now aoe. Thats a thing.

Yeah garuda’s our aoe pet and ifrit’s our single target pet now, instead of the old paradigm of Garuda being our caster pet and ifrit being our physical pet.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Ouhei posted:

PLD looks absolutely amazing, I was fully ready to switch to WAR but it lost its ability to be basically invincible during trash pulls, and then PLD gained...well...everything it needed.

Yeah, it's incredible. My body is ready for confiteor direct crits :getin:

I wonder how damage numbers will compare between classes. Paladin's spammable AOE spell is 250 potency, which is Flare but without the damage falloff. How much is 100 potency for a PLD, compared to a BLM>?>

Philonius fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 27, 2019

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

It looks right, it’s (assuming you’re going from UI3 with at least 1 heart):

Flare #1 - Free since a new trait causes fire spells to have 0 MP cost while in UI3
Flare #2 - Consumes Umbral Hearts and most of your MP
Flare #3 - Consumes remaining MP at “full cost”

At this point you use the same trait that made your first flare free, to swap back into UI3 using Freeze and then it’s just dumping fouls and repeat.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Elmon posted:

Any tips for getting to ilvl 360 quickly? I'm currently at 345 and hoping to get to 360 today so I can finish the msq

Not do the MSQ and get gear through the story. They always end up giving you high level gear to people catching up on the previous expansions story. Barring that, using your poetics to get a set of ilvl 390 gear I guess.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah, it's something that seems to have just come up. Apparently Flare beats Fire 3 on six targets and it's equal on five.. but it's Flare, so I'll probably use it on three. :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'll use Flare on 2. Or whatever the new version of it is... despair?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

jokes posted:

I'll use Flare on 2. Or whatever the new version of it is... despair?

Yeah, Despair. Which reminds me that there's a triple Despair opener, too. Good time to be a black mage.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
1 Target BLM (no oGCDs):

B3 > T3 > B4 > F3 > F4 > F4 > Despair > F4 > F4 > Despair

Xenoglossy takes the place of Foul during your UI phase. At 2 or more targets, you switch Xenoglossy back for Foul.

At 3 or more targets, swap T3 for T4.

5+ Target BLM (no oGCDs):

Freeze > T4 > F3 > Flare > Flare > B3

Stuff gets a little fluffier if you include your various other utility buttons, but level 80 core BLM "rotation" is simpler than ever now which is great. Consider investing in Ethers :v:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Ouhei posted:

PLD looks absolutely amazing, I was fully ready to switch to WAR but it lost its ability to be basically invincible during trash pulls

Did it? It was due to Steel Cyclone, right? Doesn't Nascent Flash do the same thing, just about? Well, I don't know the math.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a jump potion for my CNJ, just to be done with the msq?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't use a jump potion for my CNJ, just to be done with the msq?

Because using a jump potion on your CNJ won't finish the MSQ.

e: There's a separate story skip potion you need for MSQ stuff. Job potions only give you job + appropriate gear.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bobfly posted:

Did it? It was due to Steel Cyclone, right? Doesn't Nascent Flash do the same thing, just about? Well, I don't know the math.

Only for a limited period. Realistically, Steel Cyclone didn't really matter past a certain point anyways, since you'd eventually start spamming Decimate for the potency gain.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
drat, it was nice to inner release -> Steel Cyclone so the white mage was free to holy spam on trash.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Emalde posted:

1 Target BLM (no oGCDs):

B3 > T3 > B4 > F3 > F4 > F4 > Despair > F4 > F4 > Despair

Xenoglossy takes the place of Foul during your UI phase. At 2 or more targets, you switch Xenoglossy back for Foul.

At 3 or more targets, swap T3 for T4.

5+ Target BLM (no oGCDs):

Freeze > T4 > F3 > Flare > Flare > B3

Stuff gets a little fluffier if you include your various other utility buttons, but level 80 core BLM "rotation" is simpler than ever now which is great. Consider investing in Ethers :v:

I think the double Despair rotation isn't intended for long term use because it'll start to gently caress up your Xenoglossy/Thunder timing after awhile-- it's something you switch to if you need a shorter Fire phase to hit a timing/squeeze in damage before a boss goes invuln/fit inside a buff window.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DontMindMe posted:

drat, it was nice to inner release -> Steel Cyclone so the white mage was free to holy spam on trash.

Popping that with Nascent Flash should still do similar.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DontMindMe posted:

That was never really optimal unless you were both undergeared or your party DPS stank. Even if you held off on popping Inner Release until Stun DR kicked in, the amount of potency you lost from Defiance's penalty and Steel Cyclone's lower innate potency wasn't worth it when a WHM could keep you in the black trivially without expending too many GCDs or clipping too badly.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Even with ability to remove that penalty? drat I'm a terrible warrior

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Cabbit posted:

I think the double Despair rotation isn't intended for long term use because it'll start to gently caress up your Xenoglossy/Thunder timing after awhile-- it's something you switch to if you need a shorter Fire phase to hit a timing/squeeze in damage before a boss goes invuln/fit inside a buff window.

Math it out for me? I might be reading it wrong.

Starting from 10k MP:

UH F3 = 800
UH Despair = 3333

You now have ~5k MP left for casts after [UH F3*2 + UH Desp]. At this point, each F4 costs 1600. Despair presumably works similarly to Flare where if you have around 1k leftover you can cast it. You can either cast [F3*3] or you can trade that final F3 for a Despair, but either way you're out of mana after three casts. Despair should always be a DPS gain over F3 since it's only .2 extra on the cast time.

E: oh i see the error, Despair doesn't actually have a UH perk like Flare does :negative:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 27, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DontMindMe posted:

Even with ability to remove that penalty? drat I'm a terrible warrior

I wouldn't say that. It's hard to judge the true effectiveness of actions in a game like FFXIV simply by feel. You'll occasionally see PLD tanks blowing Clemency on dungeon bosses when they drop below 50%, even when the healer's still got plenty of oGCDs left or is waiting for a few seconds on the cooldown. It's completely unnecessary, but it feels good to see your own HP bar rocket up and think that you rescued yourself from disaster.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I can never make heads or tails of abilities until I actually use them, for some reason, so despite maining blm since I started, I still don’t quite get when to use despair. Can’t wait to play so I can grok everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vermain posted:

I wouldn't say that. It's hard to judge the true effectiveness of actions in a game like FFXIV simply by feel. You'll occasionally see PLD tanks blowing Clemency on dungeon bosses when they drop below 50%, even when the healer's still got plenty of oGCDs left or is waiting for a few seconds on the cooldown. It's completely unnecessary, but it feels good to see your own HP bar rocket up and think that you rescued yourself from disaster.

I love it when a PLD does that at 55% health ensuring that the excog goes off between pulls.