Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taintrunner posted:

I’m a Sandersista Commisar and I’m sending you all to the gulag for not doing enough to destroy capitalism

Well I'm a Corbynista Stazi and I saw you drinking a Starbucks last week so you'll be in there with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the issue is you'll insult some idiot in d&d in 2023 who'll in the process of finding stupid poo poo to quote will dig this out, and both the past and current employer, and start emailing it around.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

Well I'm a Corbynista Stazi and I saw you drinking a Starbucks last week so you'll be in there with them

I was undercover you bastard I’m reporting you for treason! I hope you like the gallows!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

AnoHito posted:

Hello guys, I'm the very serious and real cop who reads these forums. I am very concerned about a case of petty theft 6 years ago that no one reported or even loving noticed, and will now proceed to work tirelessly to track down this user's real name and ensure he is prosecuted to the full extent of the law. We take these cases of anecdotal larceny very seriously at the big time internet police department and will not stop until this man is brought to justice. Your trial will be open and shut, with the airtight evidence of a single shitpost on a dead gay comedy forum under an assumed name.

And don't think we've forgotten all you people posting "420 blaze it!" You'll all find yourself in on drug charges within the week!

this is too many layers of irony, or maybe just a dumbshit

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the issue is you'll insult some idiot in d&d in 2023 who'll in the process of finding stupid poo poo to quote will dig this out, and both the past and current employer, and start emailing it around.

bold of you to imply the forums will still exist in four years

and you're right it's a good policy in general to not post stuff like that, although I'd be more concerned about the many posts I've made about drugs and I'm making no attempt to hide them. I edited the post a little.

anyway, here's something slightly on-topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTMB4gH3sU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

this is too many layers of irony, or maybe just a dumbshit

I want to say this is 100% shitpost irony, but also cops are loving evil so I guess it tracks?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Warmachine posted:

I want to say this is 100% shitpost irony, but also cops are loving evil so I guess it tracks?

he's reacting to the flippant cop posts as if they were serious, it's a dumbshit post that wouldn't have happened if they ended in "lol"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

he's reacting to the flippant cop posts as if they were serious, it's a dumbshit post that wouldn't have happened if they ended in "lol"

I was pretty sure yours was a joke. The ones above you seemed a bit too serious, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AnoHito posted:

Hello guys, I'm the very serious and real cop who reads these forums. I am very concerned about a case of petty theft 6 years ago that no one reported or even loving noticed, and will now proceed to work tirelessly to track down this user's real name and ensure he is prosecuted to the full extent of the law. We take these cases of anecdotal larceny very seriously at the big time internet police department and will not stop until this man is brought to justice. Your trial will be open and shut, with the airtight evidence of a single shitpost on a dead gay comedy forum under an assumed name.

And don't think we've forgotten all you people posting "420 blaze it!" You'll all find yourself in on drug charges within the week!

Because goons have never gotten involved in each other's lives over pointless poo poo before.

Wasn't it Eggplant Wizard who pissed off someone enough they found her employer and reported to them she wrote werewolf erotica? That wasn't even illegal!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody cares that some poor retail schmuck stole cash from the register years and years ago. Like hello just next door there is a subforum where people do all kinds of narcotics regularly and post about it freely.

As far as law enforcement goes that poo poo is waaay past the statute of limitations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

America is a country where you can get 20 years - life for nibbling a bit of ham at the deli counter you work at

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Moridin920 posted:

Nobody cares that some poor retail schmuck stole cash from the register years and years ago. Like hello just next door there is a subforum where people do all kinds of narcotics regularly and post about it freely.

As far as law enforcement goes that poo poo is waaay past the statute of limitations.

thank god you're here to be the second person to make this point, hours after the first. good job

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the fascist line against wayfair employees is "oh so what you want the kids to sleep on the floor now?"

like you're literally admitting they're held in prison conditions despite committing no crime, but let's think about the real victims: a terrible mail order furniture company.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thank god you're here to be the second person to make this point, hours after the first. good job

Y'all kept talking about it for hours

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

People get ridiculously uptight about the hot take of "putting children in prison is bad"

My old boss yelled at me for "bringing politics into the office" when the news of the murdered child on Christmas broke and got even more Stern and grumpy when I countered with "not murdering children isn't politics that's just being a decent human"

It's like when the third shift chud supervisor asked if I was "one of those antifa faggots" and being against fascism is objectively the correct political viewpoint.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

Because goons have never gotten involved in each other's lives over pointless poo poo before.

Wasn't it Eggplant Wizard who pissed off someone enough they found her employer and reported to them she wrote werewolf erotica? That wasn't even illegal!

Also there's multiple off-site forums full of bitter idiots you've never even interacted with before who spend all their time caring way too much about poo poo nobody cares about and looking for ways they can dox someone because they said they liked a gay once.

I mean I think "I stole money from a cash register once years ago!!!" is still probably fine to admit but yeah SA has a lot of dumb bullshit.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/rysimmons/status/1144283018825277440

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

holy poo poo lmao, how is that real?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What the gently caress...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Good to know that Subway thinks boys spying on girls while they change is totally cool and good

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Eat frasche

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Was feeling pretty good about my guess of "literally any US automaker" for the first 3/4 but boy what a curveball.

The Rapture already happened, and we were all left here to suffer.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gey muckle mowser posted:

holy poo poo lmao, how is that real?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I like to think my guess of Coca-Cola as close enough. Even if it was just the dumbest possible guess I could think of, yet still somehow not dumb enough.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Was feeling pretty good about my guess of "literally any US automaker" for the first 3/4 but boy what a curveball.

The Rapture already happened, and we were all left here to suffer.

Wasn't it Mazda that did a track through your life and the cars it targets to that stage of your life?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Remember Jared?

Still?

How about now?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol subway is desperate to get away from their old pedophile mascot

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Rarity posted:

Good to know that Subway thinks boys spying on girls while they change is totally cool and good

The Bloop posted:

Remember Jared?

Still?

How about now?

Jared Fogle: Origins

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol subway is desperate to get away from their old pedophile mascot

*extremely don draper voice* when people think of subway, what do they think of? the sexuality of little boys, and you've spent the last several years trying to distance yourselves from that. But what if it's not a bad thing?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tbf i thought it was an ad for cotton (the fiber, not the fascist)

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

subway: we turn little boys into men

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I was split between that, a life insurance company, or some defense contractor (coupled with an ending about how the military must PROTECT OUR WAY OF LIFE or whatever)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

How people in France and in the US think the income distribution looks like:

left chart is how people think it looks like, right is what it actually looks like; upper two are france, lower two are the US

The US was the only country in the study where people actually underestimated the size of the underclass. It also has by far the largest underclass of all the countries. Good luck with that & god bless

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Same idea but more specific to USA:

Actual distribution vs estimated distribution based on survey results vs what those survey respondents said they think the ideal should be.

Also this data was charted in about 2012 iirc so it has only gotten more extreme since then :) Pretty sure the top 20% is above 90% of wealth owned by now.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

slippery doc posted:

*extremely don draper voice* when people think of subway, what do they think of? the sexuality of little boys, and you've spent the last several years trying to distance yourselves from that. But what if it's not a bad thing?

lol, exactly what was in my head watching that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Same idea but more specific to USA:

Actual distribution vs estimated distribution based on survey results vs what those survey respondents said they think the ideal should be.

Also this data was charted in about 2012 iirc so it has only gotten more extreme since then :) Pretty sure the top 20% is above 90% of wealth owned by now.

See also: when people were asked the same thing but about the federal budget and a significant amount of people thought like 20% of our budget goes towards foreign aid to durka durka stan and 40% to food stamps or w/e

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Opferwurst posted:

How people in France and in the US think the income distribution looks like:

left chart is how people think it looks like, right is what it actually looks like; upper two are france, lower two are the US

The US was the only country in the study where people actually underestimated the size of the underclass. It also has by far the largest underclass of all the countries. Good luck with that & god bless

that contraction at the top is interesting - it'd be good to see the categories there, have you got them?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

While trying to find the data behind that federal budget thing I said, I instead found this article "debunking" it that makes me more concerned:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2018/03/19/americans-overestimate-foreign-aid-not-so-fast/

quote:

Americans commonly think of foreign aid as including military spending—and no surprise, given America’s enormous military budget, this inflates their estimates of the foreign aid budget. In fact, when someone thinks of foreign aid as military spending, his or her estimate of the foreign aid budget is more than 50 percent higher, on average. For people with lower levels of education, thinking of foreign aid as military spending doubled their estimate of the foreign aid budget.

Oh that's much better, turns out Americans aren't dumb and ignorant, they just think our military is a loving charity sent in to help poor countries, nothing to be worried about there!!!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

While trying to find the data behind that federal budget thing I said, I instead found this article "debunking" it that makes me more concerned:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2018/03/19/americans-overestimate-foreign-aid-not-so-fast/

Oh that's much better, turns out Americans aren't dumb and ignorant, they just think our military is a loving charity sent in to help poor countries, nothing to be worried about there!!!

thats been the line for ages, the iraq and libyan invasions were sold as humanitarian interventions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

quote:

Of course, this does not mean that Americans are perfectly informed, or even well informed, about the federal budget. But my findings reinforce an old and reliable rule: If you see a statistic that reinforces a stereotype, look closer.

So americans thinking that foreign aid is 28% of the budget vs <1% is a big difference from thinking its 19% when its <1%?