Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Every vehicle should have adjustable thigh support, even if it's manual.

Can anyone with an A4 comment about the backseat room? Looking at it compared to an A3 and GTI, it's about the same on paper.

on 2017 models
A4= 35.7 in.
GTI= 35.6 in.
A3= 35.1 in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'm 6'1" and I can fit in the rear behind the driver's seat even when it's adjusted to my preferred driving position.

The plastic they used for the backs of the front seats feels kinda cheap. :(

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
So my MkV Rabbit had a shifting issue this morning and need some guidance.

I had the transmission in Sport going up a large hill, transmission kicked down but then wouldn't go into gear for about 45 seconds until I hosed around with D and S long enough for it to find 3rd. The car is just about to 150k and I'm reading that the valve body solenoids like to eat it right about now. Everything I can find on the valve body issue says the trans would be shifting hard if that was the failure. Problem is, the trans has shifted just fine until it slipped/missed today.

Part of me feels like the trans just needs an ATF change which will set me back $350. I know it's never been done and the car is 13 years old. Am I throwing my money away though? Should I just bite the bullet and put that towards the cost of the solenoids?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

bigman.50grand posted:

So my MkV Rabbit had a shifting issue this morning and need some guidance.

I had the transmission in Sport going up a large hill, transmission kicked down but then wouldn't go into gear for about 45 seconds until I hosed around with D and S long enough for it to find 3rd. The car is just about to 150k and I'm reading that the valve body solenoids like to eat it right about now. Everything I can find on the valve body issue says the trans would be shifting hard if that was the failure. Problem is, the trans has shifted just fine until it slipped/missed today.

Part of me feels like the trans just needs an ATF change which will set me back $350. I know it's never been done and the car is 13 years old. Am I throwing my money away though? Should I just bite the bullet and put that towards the cost of the solenoids?

Techs told me with my last car don’t do ATF change if you’ve never done it before at that high a mileage. It can potentially clean out the junk surrounding gaskets. This usually isn’t a bad thing but that gunk has kept the rubber from getting clean/lubricated for a long time potentially leading to cracking and once that stuff is cleared (which is ironically helping keep a good seal) you can end up with leaks. I did it anyway and didn’t have a problem but it can be a risk.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Anyone have experience with the MKIV R32 Golf?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The plastic they used for the backs of the front seats feels kinda cheap. :(

This is remarkably true. It stands out in a very bizarre way.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Woof Blitzer posted:

My mom has had one for 15 years. What are you curious about?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Yes and I want another real bad if that answers one question. What were you wanting to know?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Just general experiences, etc. I used to own a MkIV Golf and I'm familiar with finicky turbo AWD cars.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I'm general it did everything well but nothing to the extreme. It a was fast and comfortable with the best stock seats I've ever sat in. Handles ok but it's no Corvette, still really fun to drive and the ESC saved my rear end one time when I came into an exit ramp way hotter than I should have. At the time it had neat features like climatronic, auto dimming mirrors and rain sensing wipers that are all more common these days. The Monsoon stereo is pretty decent but annoyingly doesn't do mp3s but that doesn't really matter anymore.

The best thing about it was the sound. Oh my god the flapper mod can be done in seconds and it sounds amazing even with the stock exhaust.

It will do 150mph if you get a chip to remove the governor. I read that somewhere.

There are a million cars that do all that stuff better these days so just drive one and see if you like it. I did and I still miss it more than 10 years later.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get one and put a big fat turbo on it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Pending sale on a 2019 manual Alltrack. Here’s hoping our sunroof is ok :suicide:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Lightbulb Out posted:

Pending sale on a 2019 manual Alltrack. Here’s hoping our sunroof is ok :suicide:

Lmao it has a leaky sunroof

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lightbulb Out posted:

Congrats man. I have a friend that absolutely loves hers. She even bought it from her insurance company after they totalled it after it got nuked by hail a couple times. The sunroof survived that poo poo just fine!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

fknlo posted:

Congrats man. I have a friend that absolutely loves hers. She even bought it from her insurance company after they totalled it after it got nuked by hail a couple times. The sunroof survived that poo poo just fine!

It's a sweet car. It's just too bad after we got it home I laid in the back and noticed the discolored headliner with clear water damage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's a sweet car. It's just too bad after we got it home I laid in the back and noticed the discolored headliner with clear water damage.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Lmao it has a leaky sunroof

Missed that :allears:

VW loving loves their leaky sunroofs.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Is there a way to reset the "service due" light without like a vag-com, or is it something a cheap elm327 thing just isn't physically capable of doing? This is for a friend's 2013 Q5 that I've been doing some basic maintenance on. That light is on and he's getting close to like 60k so we're going to do some stuff in the near future and it'd be nice to be able to turn that off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jamal posted:

Is there a way to reset the "service due" light without like a vag-com, or is it something a cheap elm327 thing just isn't physically capable of doing? This is for a friend's 2013 Q5 that I've been doing some basic maintenance on. That light is on and he's getting close to like 60k so we're going to do some stuff in the near future and it'd be nice to be able to turn that off.

Can’t you do this through the MMI menu?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You can reset the oil change reminder but not the service due thing as far as i could tell.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

jamal posted:

Check the owner's manual? I know the button presses to reset it on my 2008 Rabbit is just plain spelled out in there.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

jamal posted:

There's probably a combo of buttons to press in order that will reset it

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
In my experience the newer Audi’s need vag com to clear service due. Oil can be reset in MMI but not service. If there is a secret button combo please do tell.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

So, it's a great car for the day we've had it. Fun to drive, practical, great features. But the water stain and clear leak on a new car is hosed up. This is relatively rarely optioned so it's not like we could easily swap to a different one, and what if it also has a problem?

Our dealer is inspecting and ordering parts on Tuesday. Of course that's outside of the 3 day return period. I'm in Iowa and we have relatively strong lemon laws if it becomes a problem, at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jamal posted:

You can reset the oil change reminder but not the service due thing as far as i could tell.

I had to use obdeleven to turn it off. So silly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Lightbulb Out posted:

So, it's a great car for the day we've had it. Fun to drive, practical, great features. But the water stain and clear leak on a new car is hosed up. This is relatively rarely optioned so it's not like we could easily swap to a different one, and what if it also has a problem?

Our dealer is inspecting and ordering parts on Tuesday. Of course that's outside of the 3 day return period. I'm in Iowa and we have relatively strong lemon laws if it becomes a problem, at least.

the days it takes the dealer to get their poo poo together should not be counted against the return period. this problem didn't appear yesterday.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

the days it takes the dealer to get their poo poo together should not be counted against the return period. this problem didn't appear yesterday.

This. Return it and make them get you a car that doesn't have the leak now.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

fknlo posted:

This. Return it and make them get you a car that doesn't have the leak now.

Deviant posted:

I'm now working through VW about it as well. This may end being what we demand, but my wife wants to keep it and drive it because she loves the car. It's tough because we would have to wait months to get a factory order one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm now working through VW about it as well. This may end being what we demand, but my wife wants to keep it and drive it because she loves the car. It's tough because we would have to wait months to get a factory order one.

Not going to tell you 'hey just say this to your wife' but I'd be trying to stress that in 6 months it's going to be just the car and if it's got other associated issues like if the process that failed to seal that part of the car also didn't seal other parts that you don't find out about for a year it's going to be the biggest stress of your life.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

VelociBacon posted:

Not going to tell you 'hey just say this to your wife' but I'd be trying to stress that in 6 months it's going to be just the car and if it's got other associated issues like if the process that failed to seal that part of the car also didn't seal other parts that you don't find out about for a year it's going to be the biggest stress of your life.

I'm well aware of those issues. Doing some reading it may be a pretty common problem with Alltracks - https://vwalltrackpanoleak.com

Which sucks because it's the car she wants.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Double post but I almost want to give it back tomorrow, still within 3 days, and demand a factory ordered one with the options we wanted. I don't know how well that will go over but it may be worth a try. It rained today and we will see how wet the car is.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
take it back!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

take it back!

Welp I just looked up the laws and I don't think we can in Iowa. It looks like we'd have to run it through the normal lemon law procedure. What a clusterfuck.

I am generating images and documentation to support a lemon law claim if it becomes necessary.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The headlight & windshield washer pumps are not very accessible. Swapping back to OE fender liners and repairing parking sensors too while at it. And headlight level adjustment motor and...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Welp I just looked up the laws and I don't think we can in Iowa. It looks like we'd have to run it through the normal lemon law procedure. What a clusterfuck.

I am generating images and documentation to support a lemon law claim if it becomes necessary.

why are you still posting in this thread and not making demands of the dealer and VW of America?

you paid presumably five figures and they need to make it right

you should be threatening to call VW customer service right there in the lobby. my guess is you'll get as far as "1800" before they cave.

also: they may not tell you what to tell your wife, but i will. she's gonna have to loving deal.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2019

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Unrelated: Upon starting up my GFs 2016 TTS after dinner the headlights did there leveli g thing and an alert came on the dash about "dip light malfunction". We turned the car off and then back on and no warning appeared. The car is CPOd, under warranty, has a service package, and she has a service appointment/oil change alert for ~700 miles. Should we just take it in now?

I did some googling very briefly and this warning appears to be related to possibly a bulb going out or a bad ballast and not necessarily the actual leveling mechanism of the light.

Have any of y'all seen this error message?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Lightbulb Out posted:

Hi so I just bought a 2015 SportWagen TDI on Friday feeling really good about the purchase. Found it at 28k with a clean CarFax report (was a corporate car) and it literally looks mint. Found this thread (I don't know why I didn't look earlier) and then I panicked after reading this and then found it in my own car (all it took was a little different lighting like from a cell phone and BAM--there it was). Fortunately, even though it's used, I brought this up to the dealer today claiming they sold me a car with water damage and whoo boy they at least sounded like they are going to bend over backwards to determine what's up and fix it (or buy-back the car). I go in on Monday for some third party dude to check it out at no cost to me. They claim they will either fix the issue (if there is one) or buy the car back. I think I'm going to request they redo the headliner and give me some all-weather mats while we're at it :v:

Thing is, I really do want this car as it is basically perfect. Had my eye on a SportWagen for a very long time and now that I have one that is a TDI that is essentially brand new my wife and I are very pumped. We did find another one just like it at 23k miles with one owner who was military that is sans sunroof, but I do say having a sun roof is very nice and this model is slightly nicer with the upkeep and wheels, etc. I really hope we can get things sorted out.

Is there any hope this actually gets fixed or resolved? I am super bummed and feel like a goddamned idiot.

When we are ready for a second car I think I am going to go for another TDI. Something about them that I just love. Perhaps it's that mix of gas mileage, torque, and knowing the engine is going to outlive the rest of the car. I intend on driving them until death or electric cars finally come hahaha nuclear war will happen anyway gently caress this earth.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 30, 2019

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Deviant posted:

why are you still posting in this thread and not making demands of the dealer and VW of America?

you paid presumably five figures and they need to make it right

you should be threatening to call VW customer service right there in the lobby. my guess is you'll get as far as "1800" before they cave.

also: they may not tell you what to tell your wife, but i will. she's gonna have to loving deal.

you're right. i just gotta go make it happen.

also i've already contacted vw customer service.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Hope you guys get some relief.

I guess I'm in the minority these days but I absolutely hate sunroofs and all things being equal prefer not to have them. Just something else to rattle, leak, transmit wind noise, increase weight, or just break. The bigger they are the worse it is.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Styles Bitchley posted:

I guess I'm in the minority these days but I absolutely hate sunroofs and all things being equal prefer not to have them. Just something else to rattle, leak, transmit wind noise, increase weight, or just break. The bigger they are the worse it is.

this was my preference but i was over-ruled

doing some reading apparently even the non-sunroof'd cars leak sometimes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Styles Bitchley posted:

Same here. I spent half a year looking for a car without sunroof. It was somewhat of a lemon but still less hassle than swapping the aluminum roof panel, headliner and doing the paint job..