Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I've seen anti-drone proposals involving trained falcons, EMP rifles, and net launchers but I have yet to see ANY of those in action and I'm frankly really disappointed.

This is the soft-kill jammer and targeting radar/EO suite used at Gatwick. This system has an optional hard-kill laser module which the UK MoD didn't buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Postal posted:

This is the soft-kill jammer and targeting radar/EO suite used at Gatwick. This system has an optional hard-kill laser module which the UK MoD didn't buy

What pissant government has the option to buy a laser cannon and doesn't?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Phy posted:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

priznat posted:

Shot travels pretty far and would be especially risky someplace you’d wanna shoot down a drone like an airport or outdoor concert or whatever.

An airport seems like a wide enough space that it shouldn't be much of an issue, but I can definitely see not wanting to do it around something like a concert.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
A bit of old news, but a neat video of an Air France 777 that was flying from Atlanta to Paris that lost an engine on takeoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62-h5iEpkIU

Watching this, I'm still flabbergasted that a heavy 777 can fly out of the hot Atlanta air on one(!) engine and still turn around and land safely with a ton of fuel and 300+ people onboard. We take so much for granted when it comes to aeronautical engineering.

ManifunkDestiny fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 27, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

One of the previous airlines I flew for seemed to be doing pretty well with the PC12. I could see that expanding to more niche markets beyond EAS. It only costs about $500/hr to operate, including fuel. That works out to roughly $0.25 a mile per person if it’s a full flight.

Oddly, that was exactly the aircraft I was thinking of!

...no, I don't think I have an "unhealthy obsession" with the idea of someday flying one (one that I own, if I win the lottery), why do you ask?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Oddly, that was exactly the aircraft I was thinking of!

...no, I don't think I have an "unhealthy obsession" with the idea of someday flying one (one that I own, if I win the lottery), why do you ask?

Honestly of everything I’ve flown, it has been far and away the most enjoyable.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Relevant:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Phy posted:

The sun set on the British empire long ago.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

These are awesome. Got more or a source?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Real Amethyst posted:

These are awesome. Got more or a source?

I found a book in the library called "Aeroflot: an Airline and its Aircraft" by R.E.G. Davis, from 1992. It's a good book generally, but it has several neat little illustrations like the ones posted. It also has stuff on pre World War 2 exploratory and long distance flights by the Soviets that I didn't know anything about.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
AN-24 crash in Buryatia.
Looks like it veered off the runway and crashed into a building beside the runway and catching fire.
2 dead, reported as the crew. 7 more hospitalized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCKb2HVlzA

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... does NASA planning to send an Octocopter to Titan count as sufficiently aeronauticaloy insane?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

OddObserver posted:

... does NASA planning to send an Octocopter to Titan count as sufficiently aeronauticaloy insane?

Sounds fricking awesome is what it sounds like

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Linked V12s. Contra-rotating props. Pre-WW2 design.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Surely there is a gear down indicator

That's an interesting challenge. How could an amphibious know when it should alert when the gear is down, or when it's up. Besides any other stupid reasons why the alert could be ineffective. This month a Diamond DA42 did a belly landing in Finland and the way it was told to me, the reason was a pretty stupid. It was an inspection flight and they were testing single engine operation. The standard procedure is to power down one engine, but the flight inspector had wanted them to completely idle one engine because this make flying more difficult. Idling one engine causes an alert for unbalanced engine power. Unfortunately this alert sounds the same as the gear up alert. When they came for landing the engine alert was blaring constantly and they couldn't notice the gear up alert.

More landing gear stuff, this monday our club's LS7 suffered a landing gear collapse. The pilot landed just fine with the gear down, but when he applied the wheel brake the gear collapsed. Someone commended the pilot for the good landing spot since the white stripe was right at the center of the runway. Supposedly this type may be susceptible for landing gear issues, I heard about an older case on another airfield with similar occurrence. The glider was left on the side of the runway with gear down and an owner of a repair shop was inspecting the damages. Just then the landing gear collapsed again and the glider fell on his hand.

A special problem for landing gear in gliders is, that the gear needs to be able to be operated in both directions by a small woman with a single hand. The space is also limited, often you only have about 20 cm to push and pull the lever between positions.

And just last month our club's ASW-28 suffered a belly landing, that time a pilot error. Turns out there is a good reason why our airfield's instructions include the phrase "landing gear down and locked" for the landing circuit declaration.

The repair show owner I mentioned also has his own experience with belly landing, he did it with his own glider during a competition my club was organizing. He took the damaged glider away, and the next morning the glider showed up in the starting grid with fixed belly.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I found a book in the library called "Aeroflot: an Airline and its Aircraft" by R.E.G. Davis, from 1992. It's a good book generally, but it has several neat little illustrations like the ones posted. It also has stuff on pre World War 2 exploratory and long distance flights by the Soviets that I didn't know anything about.

Great stuff. The An-2 has been my absolute favourite aircraft since I was a kid and saw one fly backwards at an airshow once, so the idea of going to school on one appeals to me greatly! Rare to see one on floats, too, which I can only imagine reduces the top speed to something like 60knts...which is still faster than any other transport in that terrain, of course, which is the whole point.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Linked V12s. Contra-rotating props. Pre-WW2 design.

From the same website:

https://oldmachinepress.com/2012/10/14/fiat-as-6-aircraft-engine-for-the-mc-72/

The same engine concept for the Schneider Trophy - the engine itself killed two of the test pilots before they sorted out the fuel balancing/mixture issues.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
At least some U.S. military ATC says "check gear down" when giving landing clearance. If you watch the VASAviation videos they did when the Korean civilian pilot landed at Osan.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Guys, it's official. We're building a motherfucking spacecopter

https://twitter.com/JimBridenstine/...ingawful.com%2F

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
RIP Titan air traffic

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Charles posted:

At least some U.S. military ATC says "check gear down" when giving landing clearance. If you watch the VASAviation videos they did when the Korean civilian pilot landed at Osan.

The AI ATC in Falcon BMS does say “check gear down”. Can confirm.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Saukkis posted:

How could an amphibious know when it should alert when the gear is down, or when it's up.

why not always have an indicator and it's up to the PIC to decide if in fact it is good or bad that the gear is up or down?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why not always have an indicator and it's up to the PIC to decide if in fact it is good or bad that the gear is up or down?

There was a guy who put a ton of Seamax videos on youtube and whatever fms/gps system he had onboard would query him before landing and he would reply "water" or something else before a runway landing
A pretty straightforward system

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That would require you to think while flying an icon.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Charles posted:

I learned to fly at an air force base. Coming back from pattern work, I'd get "cessna 172, can you accept five-mile straight in runway xx? confirm gear down and locked."

There's no retractable gear, but it's still on the script. So we'd of course say "gear down and locked, we can accept straight in runway xx." and then get our clearance.

After a tough day on the alternate 3300' field in 10k density altitudes, knowing you're going back to a towered airport and that after a five-mile straight approach, with full lights in any weather, a 10,000-foot, 150'-wide runway waited as your last landing of the day was a great confidence booster.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wtf they did it again!

Air Canada left a blind wheelchair user alone on an empty plane, the 2nd similar incident to emerge in less than a week https://a.msn.com/r/2/AADwcek?m=en-ca&referrerID=InAppShare

Ok. Carry on water landing chat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jonny Nox posted:

Wtf they did it again!

Air Canada left a blind wheelchair user alone on an empty plane, the 2nd similar incident to emerge in less than a week https://a.msn.com/r/2/AADwcek?m=en-ca&referrerID=InAppShare

Ok. Carry on water landing chat.

He needs to take some personal responsibility and try not being blind on public transportation next time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

He needs to take some personal responsibility and try not being blind on public transportation next time.

He obviously managed to get there, he should be able to get himself off!!!!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Air Canada: Hold my beer, United.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Finger Prince posted:

He obviously managed to get there, he should be able to get himself off!!!!

Pretty sure if he did that, he'd end up in jail. :v:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I learned to fly at an air force base. Coming back from pattern work, I'd get "cessna 172, can you accept five-mile straight in runway xx? confirm gear down and locked."

There's no retractable gear, but it's still on the script. So we'd of course say "gear down and locked, we can accept straight in runway xx." and then get our clearance.

After a tough day on the alternate 3300' field in 10k density altitudes, knowing you're going back to a towered airport and that after a five-mile straight approach, with full lights in any weather, a 10,000-foot, 150'-wide runway waited as your last landing of the day was a great confidence booster.

Yeah. They say it to UH-1 and AH-1 helicopters all the time. To which they reply "down and welded." It's a nice safety catch but some towers (KNCA specifically) will query you if you don't have our gear down by a 1 mile final (that may seem super close but if you're a helicopter going 80 knots, its pretty loving far)

Kilonum posted:

Air Canada: Hold my beer, United.

Wouldn't they have to beat the poo poo out of the guy and them leave him on the plane?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Bob A Feet posted:

Wouldn't they have to beat the poo poo out of the guy and them leave him on the plane?

Most likely only if they were on a United flight not actually ran by United. Even then, you'd still get a weak-rear end apology from Oscar. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe it was a united codeshare.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Honestly as stupid as it may seem to confirm gear down and props forward on a 173, I wish the GUMPS check was standard procedure from the first flight a student ever does. It’s never too early to start, especially for a student who plans to go commercial. The aim should be that you don’t even think about confirming gear down by the time you fly something where you have to confirm the gear is down.

The gear warning horn is loving useless for training aircraft and doubly so for multi engine training aircraft because so many training exercises are executed at low power on one or both engines that students and instructors both learn to ignore it, and having the idea in your head that it’s still there to warn you when you’ve been desensitised to it is dangerous.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Saukkis posted:

That's an interesting challenge. How could an amphibious know when it should alert when the gear is down, or when it's up. Besides any other stupid reasons why the alert could be ineffective. This month a Diamond DA42 did a belly landing in Finland and the way it was told to me, the reason was a pretty stupid. It was an inspection flight and they were testing single engine operation. The standard procedure is to power down one engine, but the flight inspector had wanted them to completely idle one engine because this make flying more difficult. Idling one engine causes an alert for unbalanced engine power. Unfortunately this alert sounds the same as the gear up alert. When they came for landing the engine alert was blaring constantly and they couldn't notice the gear up alert.

More landing gear stuff, this monday our club's LS7 suffered a landing gear collapse. The pilot landed just fine with the gear down, but when he applied the wheel brake the gear collapsed. Someone commended the pilot for the good landing spot since the white stripe was right at the center of the runway. Supposedly this type may be susceptible for landing gear issues, I heard about an older case on another airfield with similar occurrence. The glider was left on the side of the runway with gear down and an owner of a repair shop was inspecting the damages. Just then the landing gear collapsed again and the glider fell on his hand.

A special problem for landing gear in gliders is, that the gear needs to be able to be operated in both directions by a small woman with a single hand. The space is also limited, often you only have about 20 cm to push and pull the lever between positions.

And just last month our club's ASW-28 suffered a belly landing, that time a pilot error. Turns out there is a good reason why our airfield's instructions include the phrase "landing gear down and locked" for the landing circuit declaration.

The repair show owner I mentioned also has his own experience with belly landing, he did it with his own glider during a competition my club was organizing. He took the damaged glider away, and the next morning the glider showed up in the starting grid with fixed belly.

Unless I'm remembering this wrong, on the MiG-15 there's a little red bar that sticks up off the wing surface to indicate gear down. It's nicknamed "the soldier."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Unless I'm remembering this wrong, on the MiG-15 there's a little red bar that sticks up off the wing surface to indicate gear down. It's nicknamed "the soldier."

Yep, a bunch of Soviet planes have that. The Yak-52 has one on each wing and one right in front of the glareshield.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Many older aircraft have that pin, Harvards for instance. It's physically connected to the gear locking mechanism, so you know for sure if the gear is locked. Says a lot about the Soviet Union that they built a jet in the 50s with it.

Saukkis posted:

That's an interesting challenge. How could an amphibious know when it should alert when the gear is down, or when it's up.

As mentioned, that would require some sort of pilot input saying "I'm landing on water" (good case for Silicon Valley solution actually, software which interprets a video image of the surface) for an Icon. But other amphibians can have configuration warnings based on simple electric logic circuits, for instance a warning when the gear and tip floats are lowered together. You could also have a warning if the float rudders are lowered if there is any airspeed indication, as landing with them down can have the same effect as the gear.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's not a bad idea, but the A5 doesn't require configuration for water landing

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

PT6A posted:

I wish the GUMPS check was standard procedure from the first flight a student ever does. It’s never too early to start, especially for a student who plans to go commercial.

Good intent, bad idea. This would just desensitize the person to the "U" part of the check as meaningless, as there is nothing to actually check and the result is guaranteed to be true no matter what.

Better would be instilling the checklist discipline to methodically go through every item and actually look at the physical indication and make sure it registers in your eyeballs and brain before verbalizing what you see and not what you know the answer should be. For the checklist for the airplane you're flying.

Professional flying at every level I've seen is already rife with people reading off items and spouting off the answers from memory and/or expectation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

vessbot posted:

Good intent, bad idea. This would just desensitize the person to the "U" part of the check as meaningless, as there is nothing to actually check and the result is guaranteed to be true no matter what.

Better would be instilling the checklist discipline to methodically go through every item and actually look at the physical indication and make sure it registers in your eyeballs and brain before verbalizing what you see and not what you know the answer should be. For the checklist for the airplane you're flying.

Professional flying at every level I've seen is already rife with people reading off items and spouting off the answers from memory and/or expectation.

When I was at UND in 2004-2005 this was required as a "final check" that had to be vocalized by 200 or 500agl, I forget which one. Felt ridiculous saying that when flying a Warrior.