Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Emalde posted:

Math it out for me? I might be reading it wrong.

Starting from 10k MP:

UH F3 = 800
UH Despair = 3333

You now have ~5k MP left for casts after [UH F3*2 + UH Desp]. At this point, each F4 costs 1600. Despair presumably works similarly to Flare where if you have around 1k leftover you can cast it. You can either cast [F3*3] or you can trade that final F3 for a Despair, but either way you're out of mana after three casts. Despair should always be a DPS gain over F3 since it's only .2 extra on the cast time.

E: oh i see the error, Despair doesn't actually have a UH perk like Flare does :negative:

Despair benefits from Umbral Hearts. As for 'math it out', I'm just going by stuff I've read on The Balance. There's stuff in the BLM channel pins about it, plus this spreadsheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Cabbit posted:

Despair benefits from Umbral Hearts. As for 'math it out', I'm just going by stuff I've read on The Balance. There's stuff in the BLM channel pins about it, plus this spreadsheet.

Oh cool, thanks for this. My actual math error then is using 3*UH value for Despair instead of 1*UH, so you only get two spells at the end. Either way you're only going to use the "core" rotation without oGCDs once or twice before going back to weaving them after the opener which means you end up doing other things, but good to know I was almost right :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

aers posted:

That's all well and good but here's what the framerate limiter does to my FPS

So I really hope they've fixed the implementation.

I make no assumptions about your system, but found that FFXIV really freaks the gently caress out when you set an FPS limiter at the driver level, and then also set one in-game.

In my case, it was NVidia's thing that they lock behind a login, but gently caress logging in to GFE just for that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So as someone who sat out on Stormblood, how did Red Mages turn out? That was the class I was looking forward to in the hype before I took my last break. I'm probably going to keep on keeping on my Warrior when I get back in game, but I've been thinking about what I'm leveling up second/third and it's kind of a toss up between RDM, SUM, or MCH.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

So as someone who sat out on Stormblood, how did Red Mages turn out? That was the class I was looking forward to in the hype before I took my last break. I'm probably going to keep on keeping on my Warrior when I get back in game, but I've been thinking about what I'm leveling up second/third and it's kind of a toss up between RDM, SUM, or MCH.

Red Mage is a very simple class with a nice rhythm and excellent utility for progression groups (easy access to insta-cast raise and a decent healing spell). It's also easy to solo with, thanks to that healing spell and its high mobility.

Its main quirks are:
- Dualcast: Every spell you cast that has a cast time makes your next spell instant. This means you're constantly bouncing back and forth between a casted spell and an instant one, which is what gives the job its fun rhythm and its mobility.
- Melee combo: As you cast spells, you build up a secondary set of resources (white and black mana) that you use to execute a powerful melee combo, which finishes off with a big flashy spell.

I like it a lot, and it looks like Shadowbringers is keeping it pretty much intact, just with a few new flashy spells and more fun AoE. That said, if you like a complex rotation, you might find it a little too straightforward.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

They're good. They're probably the simplest DPS class, but they have a proc-based rotation, flashy aesthetics (the dive in -> dive out part of your rotation), and small optimizations that keep them interesting. They've got solid utility with instant Verraise and the occasional Vercure. They're rarely an unwelcome addition to progression groups or pub trials/raids.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

I played a lot of RDM during SB - they're a very accessible, very mobile dps class. Lots of flash, you can zoom in and out of melee really easily. The rotation is very easy to grasp, with just enough of a skill ceiling to push for optimal dps without feeling overwhelming.

They're not going to top meters, generally (they're probably the lowest among the caster DPS), but they bring a ton of utility - in particular, instant cast rez on demand. So, they're super important for progression in particular. The worst part of the class was the boring/clunky AOE, and they've improved on that in ShB so it should be a great class to pick up.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DeathSandwich posted:

Very good. Alright damage, feels well designed and fun to play at just about any level, Vercure is beefy enough of a heal to make you incredibly survivable and might even save a life in group play (if poo poo has gone catastrophically sideways), Verraise is very useful.

Shadowbringers is not loving with that formula-- it's just adding some QoL changes (some spells that chain off other spells now share a button), better AoE, and another big gently caress-off nuke to cap your weaponskill chain off with.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

In addition to what everyone else has said, RDM have the best hat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I'm going to have a really hard time choosing between RDM and SMN when it's time for me to level a caster in Shadowbringers. SMN was my 2.0 main and RDM was my 4.0 main, and while GNB has stolen my heart, both RDM and SMN look like a blast in 5.0 as well.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Me, I just can't wait to start dancing at 2:00 PST. Although GNB does look like a lot of fun tooooooooo.......

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think really the choice for me right now is between RDM and MCH. SUM was on the list because SCH was my primary healer so it made sense, but I'm not sure if I want to level *that* right away. I don't think I've ever been terribly interested in SUM, it was just convenient when I already had SCH healing to just swap over and kit for that.

I don't know though, maybe I ought to be giving Dancer a look as well, that could be a fun experience in and of itself.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

All you other fancy casters are fine and all, but there’s only one spell slinger for me:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The real thing that makes me excited for Gunbreaker is the whole Continuation combo thing, which just looks like such a satisfying "RIP AND TEAR" moment that I just know I'm going to look forward to it every time it's up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think I'm coming down with some gameitis and will miss work tomorrow...

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Kaubocks posted:

i'm no theorycrafter, and i need to wait for all the mch mains to start doing the math once the game goes live, BUT

poking my head around the balance discord it sounds like hypercharge might have an animation lock. if this is the case, you might only be able to get 5 heat blasts during an overheat rather than 6. if this is true, it might only be worth heat blasting during a wildfire window and then normal combos the rest of the time? they might have put the 20 potency bump because if hypercharge > heat blast outside of wildfire was a dps loss there'd be no point in doing it, so this is a way of giving it some benefit

If the job guide descriptions of actions are accurate, MCH seems completely braindead now and the only reason to do anything other during overcharge than heat blast spam like some kind of lame knock-off warrior is if your Drill or Air Anchor come off cooldown, since those still count for both overcharge and wildfire and you'd want to keep them on cooldown, though I imagine there's some breakpoint for where it's worth delaying it. Like it seems fairly obvious gaining 150 potency from the heat blast cooldown resets would be worth delaying for one global.

We'll know more tomorrow.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
My only class over 30 is SCH so the 5.0 changes are... not exciting to me.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Vermain posted:

I wouldn't say that. It's hard to judge the true effectiveness of actions in a game like FFXIV simply by feel. You'll occasionally see PLD tanks blowing Clemency on dungeon bosses when they drop below 50%, even when the healer's still got plenty of oGCDs left or is waiting for a few seconds on the cooldown. It's completely unnecessary, but it feels good to see your own HP bar rocket up and think that you rescued yourself from disaster.

No part of wasting a gcd and loving up your holy spirit feels good.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As much as I want to main RDM for ShB (the AoE changes look soooo good) I also really want to play DRK and DNC so badly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DNC looks fun as hell, but I'm probably gonna level BRD and DRK first, at the very least. Probably AST too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zelmel posted:

My only class over 30 is SCH so the 5.0 changes are... not exciting to me.

That means you also have SMN which looks like fun.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I skipped most of SB, did SAM end up in as weak a place as people say/ does it look to be getting any better with ShB?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People regularly call SAM the best-designed class in Stormblood.

e: They're wrong, it's BRD, but it's fun nevertheless.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

ReWinter posted:

I skipped most of SB, did SAM end up in as weak a place as people say/ does it look to be getting any better with ShB?

I have been playing SAM since it's going to be my class for shb and its really fun, lot of spamming ogcd between attacks, the way hagakure works means you want to use it right away if you have the seals because of how setsugekka works, having a really easy dash you can get enough kenki for off of the ranged attack, sam are just really coherent.

The attack you get from meditate seems lame but its alright since the stacks last for 30 seconds and everything else seems great in shb so i'm happy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ReWinter posted:

SAM's main, if not only, weakness was their lack of raid utility. They were second to Black Mage in damage, so their personal dps was fine. I know a few SAM mains that were quite successful in raiding, but they did have a stimga from the meta-comp only crowd.

They're great to play though. They were super mobile, and had a rapid pace without going into stupid Mech or Ninja burst phases.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

SAM's main, if not only, weakness was their lack of raid utility. They were second to Black Mage in damage, so their personal dps was fine. I know a few SAM mains that were quite successful in raiding, but they did have a stimga from the meta-comp only crowd.

They're great to play though. They were super mobile, and had a rapid pace without going into stupid Mech or Ninja burst phases.

and realistically, in certain fights a samurai being able to dump a whole bunch of damage on something in a short period of time was a utility in and of itself.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

That means you also have SMN which looks like fun.

Yes, but I don't have gear for SMN, which is annoying. Still, the SMN changes should make swapping over nice. SMN for leveling, SCH for dungeons is what I'll probably do if I don't just go whole-hog on some other class and distract myself from actual progression toward the new content.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DRK looks pretty spicy in the "rip and tear" department. Just bank up some blood and then go to town.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Vote in my cool poll, goons
https://www.strawpoll.me/18236422

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

and realistically, in certain fights a samurai being able to dump a whole bunch of damage on something in a short period of time was a utility in and of itself.

Yeah. One thing I'm looking forward to is doing this during a single Trick window:

Kaiten Midarre Setsugekka, Hissatsu: Senei, Kaeshi: Setsugekka, Meikyo Shisui -> Kasha, Kaiten Higanbana.

If my math is right, that's 6712 potency in 4 GCDs.

You can probably throw a Shoha in there, as well as using Ikishoten to dump a couple Shintens as well.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

you should use a google form so you can see what class people are coming from

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Voted Blue because I constantly alternate between Tank and Healer and don't really consider either the 'main'.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Zelmel posted:

Yes, but I don't have gear for SMN, which is annoying. Still, the SMN changes should make swapping over nice. SMN for leveling, SCH for dungeons is what I'll probably do if I don't just go whole-hog on some other class and distract myself from actual progression toward the new content.

Shouldn't take too long to ggear yourself using poetics tomestones.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

Well, the one silver lining for me is that I fully expect to see this come out with more tanks than healers so maybe I'll get that sweet sweet adventurer in need bonus for a while.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

So ... why would you cast Scatter over Verthunder 2 or Veraero 2 before upgrading it at 66? It doesn't hit harder, it doesn't cast faster and it gives you less mana. Am I missing something here?

E: Also, it's going to be real awkward to be synced down to a level where you have VT2 but not VA2, which I think is the case in Copperbell and Halatali (E2: also Sastasha and Tam-Tara, apparently). Oh well, I guess no one aoes in those dungeons anyhow.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 27, 2019

aers
Feb 15, 2012

You're not missing anything, it doesn't make sense.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

So ... why would you cast Scatter over Verthunder 2 or Veraero 2 before upgrading it at 66? It doesn't hit harder, it doesn't cast faster and it gives you less mana. Am I missing something here?

quote:

All descriptions are based on action attributes and bonuses attained by level 80.

quote:

Enhanced Contre Sixte
Lv. 78 Reduces Contre Sixte recast timer to 35 seconds and increases potency of both Verthunder II and Veraero II to 120.

Presumably the two skills are less than 120 below level 78.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Found it, level 78 trait increases the potency of veraero and verthunder II to 120. Dunno what the potencies are before that.

E: f, b.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Enhanced Contre Sixte (at 78) buffs Veraero2/Verthunder2 up to 120 pot from whatever it is at base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Ah, that makes sense. I thought I looked at traits, but apparently glazed over Contre Sixte because why would that impact Verthunder...