Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Minidust posted:

With my AirPods (2019) arriving today I'm starting to look at wireless charging pads. Is there an Anker-esque catchall recommendation on these? Also I see that multi-device variants are pretty common on Amazon, are those any good? It'd be nice to have a clean nightstand with the earpods, my next phone, and possible future watch all charging on a single surface.

I kickstarted a thing that can do this and . . . .it's not that good. It's a tower thing that has a pad for your phone and airpod, and you attach your watch to it physically. If the phone isn't just right, it doesn't charge (even though it magnetically sticks to it) and the watch thing, you need to put attachments on some bands when you do it, and that takes a good, 5-10 seconds . . . I can't be bothered . . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Twice today I was browsing Twitter on my iPhone XS and clicked a link, and when the link opened in Twitter’s browser, I got a FaceID prompt that was immediately verified for seemingly no reason. Anyone know what the deal is with this? Is there some new scam going around?

The websites were some random blogspot website and an article on self.com.

EDIT: It seems like it might be unrelated to Twitter. I just got another FaceID prompt in the middle of browsing Seamless. Not sure what’s going on but I don’t like it....

EDIT2: I should mention, given the content of the last couple pages of this thread, I’m not running the beta. I’m on whatever the most recent regular release of iOS is.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 27, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

asecondduck posted:

IPadOS is pretty goddamn great. So far my favorite is being able to stick Twitter and Music in SlideOver. As soon as gmail updates it’s gonna live there too.
If Google never updates it just stick use a Safari instance indefinitely on Gmail.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Twice today I was browsing Twitter on my iPhone XS and clicked a link, and when the link opened in Twitter’s browser, I got a FaceID prompt that was immediately verified for seemingly no reason. Anyone know what the deal is with this? Is there some new scam going around?

The websites were some random blogspot website and an article on self.com.

EDIT: It seems like it might be unrelated to Twitter. I just got another FaceID prompt in the middle of browsing Seamless. Not sure what’s going on but I don’t like it....

EDIT2: I should mention, given the content of the last couple pages of this thread, I’m not running the beta. I’m on whatever the most recent regular release of iOS is.
:tinfoil: Apple Pay scam? Could check Wallet in that case at least if you have something set up there.

Or could be the weird thing where iOS asks for your Apple ID randomly? I don’t know how that works on Face ID devices though. I can’t seem to find anything about random Face ID prompts. Tried restarting?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone here know a thing or two about NFC tags?

I ordered some that were recommended for iPhone (to trigger Shortcut Automations) and they technically work, but the problem is they still bring up a banner alert at the top of my screen for Safari to open the NFC tag Manufacturer’s website.

Is this always going to happen unless I:

A) found a friend that could erase them on Android or the like?

B) go make sure to purchase some that specifically state “blank” or "erased” or something?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m very tempted to try a beta for the first time ever. iOS 13 looks so interesting to me and September is too far away. Anything I should know about doing it with my 8+?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m very tempted to try a beta for the first time ever. iOS 13 looks so interesting to me and September is too far away. Anything I should know about doing it with my 8+?

That it's pretty awesome and you should do it KD.

Provided a restore won't kill you. Very stable for me on my XS.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah it's been stable on my X so far too. Doooooooooooo itttttttttttttttttttttt :getin:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

My general "warning" of sorts for people willing to try out betas since like iOS 8 or 9 has been to just do it if you're willing to except that there will be some bugs. Honestly, with iOS/iPadOS 13, it seems worth it seeing as the worst bug I've had is iCloud Photos not behaving correctly when I first set it up on a new iPad.

Also, don't be a dumbass and set up a new device on a beta firmware. Set it up on iOS 12 then update. I was a dumbass. Don't be a me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Endless Mike posted:

Uses a Google app to avoid the "nanny state" :thunk:

At least our Google overlords don't issue huge fines and disbar your state-issued ID which we have decided is absolutely mandatory but not a right.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m going to install the god drat beta and no one can stop me!

Thanks for advice everyone :love:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Some apps crash and the keyboard acts up. Like a link that tried to bring up PayPal wouldn’t display the necessary keyboard to log into PayPal. There are also some visual display glitches.

Honestly, I’m not seeing any must-have’s in the iPhone beta except for dark mode. The iPad beta is fun though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone tested off-brand PS4-compatible controllers yet?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Songs and podcasts are randomly paused and skips to the next in the queue when I listen to them through my earpods. Are the 'pods game over or is there some other explanation? Junk in the headphone jack?

Xabi fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jun 27, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The iPad beta is a little buggy, I've had some issues with starting/hiding a Slide Over app and there have been a couple resprings immediately after unlocking it on my original 10.5" iPad Pro. The widgets don't load immediately some of the time, either.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

japtor posted:

:tinfoil: Apple Pay scam? Could check Wallet in that case at least if you have something set up there.

Or could be the weird thing where iOS asks for your Apple ID randomly? I don’t know how that works on Face ID devices though. I can’t seem to find anything about random Face ID prompts. Tried restarting?

Yeah, I restarted shortly after the post, and it hasn’t happened since. Probably some kind of bug, I assume. Still, very disconcerting

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
When I play Mario Run while charging my phone it gets really hot. After a while the screen gets random inputs (which makes mario run really hard!). I also feel my battery life has worsened in the last months. Could it be that the battery is dying/swelling and that is causing the random inputs?

Iphone X, latest iOS, about a year old.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Laserface posted:

There was an article a few yrs ago about Blackberry making a resurgence amongst terrorists because they can pirate the software, run their own blackberry messenger server and send encrypted emails to each other and no one noticed because it essentially was an entirely closed system as all the messages never actually hit anyhting but the central pirated server and the devices themselves.

Any chance you got a link or know who wrote it? I write thrillers and could totally fit this in for a group of bad guys. Thanks 🙂

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, my battery on this PB is phenomenal on my X. I've still got 50 something % left of a charge from yesterday afternoon after a decent amount of use last night :eyepop:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

Any chance you got a link or know who wrote it? I write thrillers and could totally fit this in for a group of bad guys. Thanks 🙂

Jack Ryan Reacher picks up the dead terrorist's cell phone. It's a Blackberry Storm. "What the gently caress?" he exclaims as he looks at the piece of poo poo smartphone. "This can't even do Instagram. It must mean something." Nice keyboard though, he thinks as he tosses it away.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Jack Ryan Reacher picks up the dead terrorist's cell phone. It's a Blackberry Storm. "What the gently caress?" he exclaims as he looks at the piece of poo poo smartphone. "This can't even do Instagram. It must mean something." Nice keyboard though, he thinks as he tosses it away.

The storm didn't have a keyboard. Immersion ruined.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Exactly. If it’s well written piece there might be a detail in there that makes it more interesting, or makes it so I leave a clue early in the book and makes it look like I’m smarter than I am.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

Exactly. If it’s well written piece there might be a detail in there that makes it more interesting, or makes it so I leave a clue early in the book and makes it look like I’m smarter than I am.

Peak Blackberry was the Blackberry Bold/Tour, by far their best keyboard phone, use that one in your book. You could argue the Q10, but that used the newer software and was already dead.

If you want to be ultimate Blackberry Masochist, you can make it be a Blackberry Style (it was bad). I’ll let you google it for more info.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Blackberry's first response to seeing the world's first, truly transformative multitouch screen and keyboard was "ok, what if we made the entire screen click down like a mousepad and you couldn't press more than one letter at once"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

Damnit. I got it confused with a Blackberry Torch.

"The basement was dark as Jack Ryan Reacher's eyes struggled to adjust to the light. Suddenly he heard the unmistakable click of a Blackberry Torch's keyboard sliding up like the hammer cock on a well oiled revolver."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

“Well, well, Mr. Ryan-Reacher.” The voice was one Jack hadn’t heard for a very long time, nor expected to ever hear again. “It’s been a while. A long while.” The voice, despite its roughness, carried an undercurrent of warm, almost electric energy that made the back of Jack’s neck tingle—or was it the speaker’s breath?

“Marten,” said Jack. It wasn’t a question. “I should have known you’d be here.”

“But you did know, Jack. We have a connection, you and me. You always knew. Isn’t that why you came?” Now, a hand, gently pressing against Jack’s lower spine. “You were hoping to see me again, weren’t you?”

“I told you five years ago to stay away from me. I was done. With you, with them, with all of it.”

“And yet here you are.” The hand began slowly moving down, the fingertips brushing over Jack’s belt.

“Don’t touch me,” said Jack, but he didn’t move away.

“Jack, Jack, Jack. Why must you always lie about what you want?”

Jack’s breath quickened as the hand moved further south, the fingers curling around the muscles there.

“I don’t want you—“ A sharp intake of breath, a sudden tingle under the skin.

“For a spy, you really are far too easy to see through.” The fingers made their way around Jack’s hips to the front of his rugged boot-cut jeans.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I cant find the article now but Im glad I spurred on some absolutely great Jack Reach fanfic for a few posts.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

On an unrelated note, Ive is out.

https://www.ft.com/content/947e557a-98a8-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:negative:

At least he says he's still gonna be involved.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Well being that he's been doing camera bulges just to get the rest of it "thinner" I won't be too upset if whoever replaces him make a phone with a flush back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Ives have a special designation at Apple where he could never be fired? Maybe he wanted to leave, because I was under the impression Jobs made him untouchable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Didn't Ives have a special designation at Apple where he could never be fired? Maybe he wanted to leave, because I was under the impression Jobs made him untouchable.

Where are you getting the idea that it's anything other than his decision to leave? He's starting a new company with Apple as a client. I doubt they would fire someone only to contract them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

Where are you getting the idea that it's anything other than his decision to leave? He's starting a new company with Apple as a client. I doubt they would fire someone only to contract them.

Goons are historically terrible at watching TV and movies, listening to music, and reading books and articles.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There's corporate speak for pushing someone out and remarking about all the future projects they'll do is one of them. I'm pretty sure Jobs had a similar deal when he left Apple.

If Ives is still doing work for Apple then he probably couldn't take clients that compete with Apple which eliminates a lot of potential business. So no audio or media devices, no computers, probably no cars either. I guess he could design sleek and stunning houses with non-standard entryways.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For stuff that Apple does he'll probably just continue working with them. There's a crapload of stuff they don't do, his design interests aren't limited to tech toys.

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want to be ultimate Blackberry Masochist, you can make it be a Blackberry Style (it was bad). I’ll let you google it for more info.

FCKGW posted:

Blackberry's first response to seeing the world's first, truly transformative multitouch screen and keyboard was "ok, what if we made the entire screen click down like a mousepad and you couldn't press more than one letter at once"
My sister had one of those. I got the logic for it in theory (remember the physical keyboard die hards)...but man it was horrible to use.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Ive has been transitioning out for years already.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Our long national nightmare is over!

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I’m on ios 13 because I needed the silence unknown callers option. The only thing I don’t like is that you can’t double tap to zoom in safari. That was crucial for one handed operation.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LPG Giant posted:

When I play Mario Run while charging my phone it gets really hot. After a while the screen gets random inputs (which makes mario run really hard!). I also feel my battery life has worsened in the last months. Could it be that the battery is dying/swelling and that is causing the random inputs?

Iphone X, latest iOS, about a year old.

Sounds like symptoms of possible swelling. My Macbook Pro's battery recently started to swell beneath the (force touch) trackpad, which resulted in pretty similar symptoms -- unusually hot, reduced tracking quality, occasional ghost clicks/movement. I didn't really catch on until I noticed the trackpad had gotten to the point of protruding enough to prevent complete closure of the lid.

If you're under a year of ownership and live near an Apple Store, it may be worth your while to act on it just in case. Might be able to get a free replacement.

enojy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 28, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Our long national nightmare is over!

No it isn't. At best this is an accounting/personnel shift. Ive and his team moves over into the CapEx bucket this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there a way to always get iMessage notifications on my phone even if I'm near my Mac? I have notifications turned off on my Mac because they're distracting but the result is that I just don't get notifications on any device. I want my phone to buzz in my pocket when I'm working on my computer and get a message.