Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

so what does that bring to the table then?

Goblin Grenade, High Tide, Hymn to Tourach, and possibly some other cards not from fallen empires!

fake edit: Mystic Remora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

neaden posted:

Does this include promo cards and duel decks?

I think it already did? Serrated Arrows was printed at common in Duel Deck: Liliana vs Garruk and is pauper legal as far as I know.

Where's Hellsau when we need him???

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Probably makes sense to not launch Historic as super-standard plus two new sets at once, and it means they can add the Kaladesh and Amonkhet limited formats in quiet spots.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lone Goat posted:

Goblin Grenade, High Tide, Hymn to Tourach, and possibly some other cards not from fallen empires!

Sinkhole?

I expect everything mentioned here to be banned toot suite

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

there will never be dusting

there will never be a pay x for unlimited draft

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Does that mean red and blue elemental blasts as well as pyro/hydroblast?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Haha never mind, High Tide and Hymn are already banned. Sinkhole too.

Merchant Scroll is legal though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Oh also Pauper is now a sanctioned event in paper (i had no idea it wasn't before!!), and it'll be on Gatherer.

Changes go live on July 2

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Ashnod's Altar is also legal. Might be something fun to do with that.

A little disappointed about Sinkhole and Hymn; part of the reason why I don't bother with Pauper much lately is because of Tron's dominant presence and I feel those two would have pushed monoblack from mediocre to legit.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tormod's Crypt is now legal, too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Framboise posted:

Ashnod's Altar is also legal. Might be something fun to do with that.

A little disappointed about Sinkhole and Hymn; part of the reason why I don't bother with Pauper much lately is because of Tron's dominant presence and I feel those two would have pushed monoblack from mediocre to legit.

Letting those live would be a new BLACK SUMMER, so hell yea

I kind of think Grenade won't last. Merchant Scroll maybe because all the storm enablers were rightfully banned.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 28, 2019

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
So they spent a long time thinking about Pauper and they did not end up banning Tron or Delver. Cool, hope everyone has fun with the format.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Boco_T posted:

So they spent a long time thinking about Pauper and they did not end up banning Tron or Delver. Cool, hope everyone has fun with the format.

They said on the stream they didn’t do any testing per se... but they did a lot of “theory crafting”...

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Maybe goblin grenade can force tron and delver to adapt and make room for new decks in the format.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tainen posted:

They said on the stream they didn’t do any testing per se... but they did a lot of “theory crafting”...

Theorycrafting must be the new brainstorming, without putting ideas into practice.

Hmm.

Theorycraft
U
Sorcery
Draw 3 cards, and place 3 cards from your hand at random on top of your deck in a random order.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Framboise posted:

Theorycraft
U
Sorcery
Draw 3 cards, and place 3 cards from your hand at random on top of your deck in a random order.
I'd play it.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Why's the new format called Historic? That's so confusing. Should have called it Mythic instead.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

salt shakeup posted:

Why's the new format called Historic? That's so confusing. Should have called it Mythic instead.
Mythic is too confusing, they should have named it Legendary.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
They should've called it "Eternal" for maximum confusion.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
“Premium”

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AlternateNu posted:

They should've called it "Eternal" for maximum confusion.

"God-Eternal"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Magie nouveau

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Frontier

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Boco_T posted:

The urzatron lands were commons?!?! :psyboom:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

President Ark posted:

The urzatron lands were commons?!?! :psyboom:

Yep

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Jesus, for how much they (apparently) warped formats I assumed they had to be rares or at least uncommons.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

President Ark posted:

Jesus, for how much they (apparently) warped formats I assumed they had to be rares or at least uncommons.

They've been reprinted as uncommons, but they were commons in either Antiquities or Chronicles (or both).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mfw they ban Cloudpost and not Tron

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Tron is good in pauper but lmao if you think it's the best thing you can be doing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The best thing as we see by number of posts talking about it is Oubliette

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Tron is good in pauper but lmao if you think it's the best thing you can be doing

Tron is overwhelmingly the strongest deck to play, the reason it isn't dominating the mtgo metagame is that it's ridiculously hard to pilot and win within the timer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AngryBooch posted:

Releasing 5 sets at the same time would be very disheartening for the vast majority of players and would ensure nobody besides absolute whales would compete in Historic and smother the whole format in the cradle.

Yeah holy poo poo especially with a new set launching at the same time, you would have zero way of putting together a competitive deck without dropping lots of cash. The way they're rotating means that people who have been playing a while already have cards that will form the meta for Historic. Maybe a year from now they can start firing out Kaladesh and Amonkhet one set at a time over time to spice up Historic without just overwhelming people's capacity to collect said cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I suspect they'll eventually release them in "flashback draft" style in the lull between set releases. "This week's event is OLD_SET draft, and by the way when the event starts you'll be able to buy those boosters and cards from that set will be legal in Historic".

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Full playset of Seasoned Pyromancer in mono red prison is quite spicy
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2039751#online

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Eej posted:

Yeah holy poo poo especially with a new set launching at the same time, you would have zero way of putting together a competitive deck without dropping lots of cash. The way they're rotating means that people who have been playing a while already have cards that will form the meta for Historic. Maybe a year from now they can start firing out Kaladesh and Amonkhet one set at a time over time to spice up Historic without just overwhelming people's capacity to collect said cards.

The problem is you have at least a year of a totally stillborn format with nothing to recommend it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The Shortest Path posted:

Tron is overwhelmingly the strongest deck to play, the reason it isn't dominating the mtgo metagame is that it's ridiculously hard to pilot and win within the timer.

And it's still winning all the challenges currently lol

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Mythic is too confusing, they should have named it Legendary.

Unusual. Since it's not standard.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

President Ark posted:

The tron lands were printed at common long before Karn, Ugin, Oblivion Stone, or any of the other expensive, powerful cards were around. Also long before modern design sensibilities took over.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Lord Of Texas posted:

The tron lands were printed at common long before Karn, Ugin, Oblivion Stone, or any of the other expensive, powerful cards were around. Also long before modern design sensibilities took over.

I used the urza lands for Colossus of Sardia, usually to have it answered with Swords to Plowshares. Times were tough. Also, rarity was largely meaningless as far as impact went.

Wak-wak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Urza's lands were poo poo garbage until WoTC got rid of mana burn.