Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Loky11 posted:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/26/man-looks-like-mummy-rescued-bear-den-month-vanished-10073644/

Seems like a bear attacked a man, dragged him into a cave, and left him there to eat later.

loving Russians...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Busket Posket posted:

loving Russians...

Hey, at least he won. That dumb bear is gonna starve to death now. Revenge is a dish best not served.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

RCarr posted:

Oh, my mistake, I thought you were saying you are still living in the US and making sub $10 an hour.

This is way late, but here in rural-hell Ohio about 5 years ago, our county started road deputies at something like $9.25/hr

Sub $10/hr to walk up on cars in the middle of the loving night and your only other help (they usually had 2 road deputies working at a time on non-busy hours) was helping cover a 600+ sq mile area. I know this because a family member was doing this for a while, and they are exactly the type of person you think they are.

Can’t figure out why there is a corruption problem here though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr.Caligari posted:

This is way late, but here in rural-hell Ohio about 5 years ago, our county started road deputies at something like $9.25/hr

Sub $10/hr to walk up on cars in the middle of the loving night and your only other help (they usually had 2 road deputies working at a time on non-busy hours) was helping cover a 600+ sq mile area. I know this because a family member was doing this for a while, and they are exactly the type of person you think they are.

Can’t figure out why there is a corruption problem here though

I'd have more sympathy for racist-rear end deputies if that wasn't better than the wage my family in Texas gets.

Live in one of the largest cities in the country, get federal minimum wage

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Loky11 posted:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/26/man-looks-like-mummy-rescued-bear-den-month-vanished-10073644/

Seems like a bear attacked a man, dragged him into a cave, and left him there to eat later.

That sure sounds smarter than the average bear.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Pvt.Scott posted:

Hey, at least he won. That dumb bear is gonna starve to death now. Revenge is a dish best not served.

It was a combination of admiration and disbelief; what if this guy is actually Rasputin and the whole bear attack was a cover story for why hunters found him mummified in a cave?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gum posted:

yeah, cjd does nothing for decades then kills you in a year

e: I'm not kidding about the decades thing, 1980s is still within the potential incubation period

Rather have BSE than Kuru though

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Kuru is easy to avoid-- just don't eat/handle human spines/brains that have it. It's a very small population that did and they mostly died out. Pretty sure eating your neighbors should be just fine (and they probably don't eat people so it's ultra-safe brain meat.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

That sure sounds smarter than the average bear.

Was the guy called Pikanikbasketov?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Scathach posted:

Kuru is easy to avoid-- just don't eat/handle human spines/brains that have it. It's a very small population that did and they mostly died out. Pretty sure eating your neighbors should be just fine (and they probably don't eat people so it's ultra-safe brain meat.)

Yeah, any further spread of the disease ended when the Fore stopped doing funeral cannibalism. Kuru is (more or less) gone at this point with the last death happening over a decade ago.

You could always be the person to bring it back, though. Dream big. :yum:

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

buddhist nudist posted:

Yeah, any further spread of the disease ended when the Fore stopped doing funeral cannibalism. Kuru is (more or less) gone at this point with the last death happening over a decade ago.

You could always be the person to bring it back, though. Dream big. :yum:

I fell down the Wiki trail and learnt that Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease is generally spontaneous. I was under the impression it was more or less exclusively genetic or from brain eatin'. The spontaneous "lol God just hates you" version has an average onset age of 28, and all in all, CJD claims about one million people a year, which is also vastly more than I would have guessed. So that's all pretty unnerving to me.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Whitlam posted:

I fell down the Wiki trail and learnt that Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease is generally spontaneous. I was under the impression it was more or less exclusively genetic or from brain eatin'. The spontaneous "lol God just hates you" version has an average onset age of 28, and all in all, CJD claims about one million people a year, which is also vastly more than I would have guessed. So that's all pretty unnerving to me.

"CJD affects about one per million people per year"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Decided to wikpedia up some prion information and found this

quote:

In 2015, researchers at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston found that plants can be a vector for prions. When researchers fed hamsters grass that grew on ground where a deer that died with chronic wasting disease (CWD) was buried, the hamsters became ill with CWD, suggesting that prions can bind to plants, which then take them up into the leaf and stem structure, where they can be eaten by herbivores, thus completing the cycle. It is thus possible that there is a progressively accumulating number of prions in the environment.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Whitlam posted:

It probably won’t help, but my rough math suggests a 1/1,000,000 yearly risk is about a .00008 lifetime risk if you live to 80. That’s about 1/12,500, but it looks smaller if you use the decimal expression.

If someone checks my math and find out it’s actually, like, 1/30 or something, don’t tell me.

Edit: Lol, I just saw someone else’s reply to you. Holy poo poo! No wonder you were unnerved. I misread your misreading, and ended up at the right place.

Veni Vidi Ameche! has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Jun 27, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

Earth's gonna get us, one way or another

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Aleph Null posted:

As someone that lives in a state dealing with CWD (Minnesota), this is really unnerving

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Loky11 posted:

quote:

The dogs that found him refused to leave his side in the bear’s den in the mountain forests, leading hunters they were with to realise something was amiss.
Humanity doesn't deserve dogs.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

InsertPotPun posted:

Humanity doesn't deserve dogs.

We do deserve bears though, so it balances out a little.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Whitlam posted:

At least the people die relatively fast. If you want a real horror story go watch some videos about Alzheimer's and the lengths people go to keep their family members alive for 10-15 years while their brain deteriorates and they're uncomfortable and unhappy 100% of the time.

I take care of Alzheimer's patients and it is scary as gently caress. Patients deal with constant noises (imagine a tv chattering in your ear 24/), visual hallucinations, not being able to talk or think and frustrated from the lack of ability to communicate. Patients are literally being tortured by their own bodies constantly and you have family members giving them poo poo tons of meds in order to keep poor grandma alive a few more months so she can hang out with a bunch of people she doesn't know.

It's the most heartbreaking drat thing. I think after this client dies I'm going to stop working with Alzheimer's patients. Its way too stressful watching someone slow-motin suffer and die. I'd definitely rather get a fast dementia than a slow one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My paternal grandmother started suffering from dementia well over ten years ago, and she's been relatively stable ever since. She only recognizes her own children and basically no one else, but I genuinely don't think she's unhappy in her retirement home. She's living on auto-pilot, but not in a way that seems to confuse or sadden her. I assume it's also related to personality, she's always been the social type and she's surrounded by people there.

Alzheimer's is its own thing though, I presume.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

Alzheimer's is to Dementia similar to how AIDS is to HIV. The latter is bad enough on its own, but when it develops into the former, it's some of the worst news a person can receive.

To try to add some bittersweetness to the horror, my Alzheimer's suffering father spent quite a long time telling the "nurse" (actually my mother) about how his wife had the same name and how lucky he was to be with her.

buddhist nudist has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Jun 27, 2019

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"CJD affects about one per million people per year"

Oh duh. Leaving my idiocy to stand forever. The unnerving was coming from inside the thread.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
On the plus side I bet you feel extremely relieved

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

The ununnerving thread for happy stats and facts. :angel:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

We do deserve bears though, so it balances out a little.

We should bread a bear, a dog, and a seal together. That's possible right?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

We should bread a bear, a dog, and a seal together. That's possible right?

With enough flour and a huge oven, sure. Bear Wellington, mmmmmm.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

buddhist nudist posted:

Alzheimer's is to Dementia similar to how AIDS is to HIV. The latter is bad enough on its own, but when it develops into the former, it's some of the worst news a person can receive.

To try to add some bittersweetness to the horror, my Alzheimer's suffering father spent quite a long time telling the "nurse" (actually my mother) about how his wife had the same name and how lucky he was to be with her.

That's better than my grandmother who kept thinking her son was a man she was having an affair with

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Snopes says the bear thing is bullshit: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/man-found-alive-bear-kept-food/

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

buddhist nudist posted:

:smithicide: Mental degradation is one of the things that terrifies me on a primal level.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

With enough flour and a huge oven, sure. Bear Wellington, mmmmmm.

Hmmm. You know what, I'm leaving it as. Bread is awesome. Bears are awesome. Seals are awesome. Dogs are awesome.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hmmm. You know what, I'm leaving it as. Bread is awesome. Bears are awesome. Seals are awesome. Dogs are awesome.

Bear stuffed with seal stuffed with dog. Mmmmmm.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Kitfox88 posted:

:smithicide: Mental degradation is one of the things that terrifies me on a primal level.

the day I start forgetting who my friends are is the day I start looking for a enormous amount of the purest heroin I can find, I feel you

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

My paternal grandmother started suffering from dementia well over ten years ago, and she's been relatively stable ever since. She only recognizes her own children and basically no one else, but I genuinely don't think she's unhappy in her retirement home. She's living on auto-pilot, but not in a way that seems to confuse or sadden her. I assume it's also related to personality, she's always been the social type and she's surrounded by people there.

Dementia is the symptom, and Alzheimer's is a type of dementia. Dementia can be caused by a ton of things, and usually it's not just one thing for any single person. So it could be a lot of things that caused it, but at least she's content. That's hella cool and really rare-- it definitely could be her personality getting the better of the disease. That makes me really happy.

E Also if any of y'all have someone showing sudden dementia symptoms, HAVE THEM CHECKED FOR DEPRESSION. I can't state that loud enough. Sudden symptoms (like over a series of months rather than years) are often from a treatable source-- a mental illness, an infection, depression, etc. It's also worth noting that there are people with Alzheimer's lesions and all the other markers that should be affecting their cognition and causing dementia, but they show absolutely zero symptoms till death. Dementia is really loving weird.

Alzheimer's and various other dementia- causing brain lesions can't be treated (the drugs that "help" don't actually do much but delay it for a month or two, in the rare case they do anything at all) but you can lessen your risk by not smoking and not getting type II diabetes. Since diabetes wrecks your blood vessels, and the ones in your brain are small and weak, it can cause strokes and thus various dementias. Pretty much anything that can cause strokes puts you at dementia risk.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jun 27, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the day I start forgetting who my friends are is the day I start looking for a enormous amount of the purest heroin I can find, I feel you

Oh see my old friends reversed the process by finding the heroin then forgetting who their friends were.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Oh see my old friends reversed the process by finding the heroin then forgetting who their friends were.

:drat:

MongolArcher
Jan 2, 2009

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

First get tested for a urinary tract infection. No poo poo, when I was working in the nursing home or on the ems team, if a usually pleasant little old lady suddenly turned into an angry chupacabra, it was a UTI. Antibiotics and fluids for a couple of days and they were back to playing bingo

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Scathach posted:

At least the people die relatively fast. If you want a real horror story go watch some videos about Alzheimer's and the lengths people go to keep their family members alive for 10-15 years while their brain deteriorates and they're uncomfortable and unhappy 100% of the time.

I take care of Alzheimer's patients and it is scary as gently caress. Patients deal with constant noises (imagine a tv chattering in your ear 24/), visual hallucinations, not being able to talk or think and frustrated from the lack of ability to communicate. Patients are literally being tortured by their own bodies constantly and you have family members giving them poo poo tons of meds in order to keep poor grandma alive a few more months so she can hang out with a bunch of people she doesn't know.

It's the most heartbreaking drat thing. I think after this client dies I'm going to stop working with Alzheimer's patients. Its way too stressful watching someone slow-motin suffer and die. I'd definitely rather get a fast dementia than a slow one.

With my Grand-Aunt, she was in her 70s when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and the prognosis was something like 10 years depending on how her mental deterioration went. She made it to around 90 years old. The last time she was reasonably coherant, she'd told my cousin (her daughter) that it was nice that a lot of the family she hadn't seen in a while had stopped by to visit. My cousin went along with it and asked who stopped by and my grand-aunt named off a bunch of the family who'd passed on including my Mom who'd passed recently. My cousin asked if I'd been there since I'd usually go with my Mom when visiting family and my grand-aunt said it was odd that I wasn't there but I probably had to work. My grand-aunt gradually forgot how to walk, eat or speak, but drat if she could still shake her fist at us as we're all movie buffs to let us know if we were arguing movies that we were wrong about whether it was Lillian Gish or Clara Bow in a particular movie. She physically deteriorated a lot and was around 50 pounds when passed on in her sleep.

Since then, it's been determined for my family it is likely genetic so I've made my peace with it.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

For some reason the only time the person I take care of is coherent is when she's flaming pissed. If she gets mad she knows everyone's names and relations and oh boy if you did something fifty years ago to piss her off she will let you know. Client does confuse one of the cousins for her great grandma because they apparently look alike, so poor 30's cousin has to "yes m'am, sorry m'am" when my client yells at her for granny's old sins. It's kinda awesome and in the moments when she's mad she's also very happy, because apparently most of her life she was a fireball.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gum posted:

That's better than my grandmother who kept thinking her son was a man she was having an affair with

My Dad stopped going to see my grandmother solo when she was going through this because she didn’t know who he was and started coming on to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Well then. It seems the most unnerving thing about this is the journalists who didn't bother to fact check.