Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

E: wrong thread.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I have a 3D printer and someone designed a fully 3d printed 1:8 scale r/c Jeep rock crawler. Being that I have a real life size Jeep rock crawler, I needed a mini me.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GUC59v8

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mattfl posted:

So I have a 3D printer and someone designed a fully 3d printed 1:8 scale r/c Jeep rock crawler. Being that I have a real life size Jeep rock crawler, I needed a mini me.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GUC59v8

haha that's awesome

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
It’s been a while since I’ve posted but I’ve been lurking.

I’ve got a couple Jeep builds I’ve done too.

https://imgur.com/a/saQ7NMV

https://imgur.com/ZAZkLAI

The yellow one is in the process of being rebuilt with the knowledge I got from the other one. But it’s on the back burner as I’ve got a huuuuge project I’m trying to get done
https://imgur.com/a/ibuA2Yc

That action figure is six inches, btw.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

kuffs posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve posted but I’ve been lurking.

I’ve got a couple Jeep builds I’ve done too.

https://imgur.com/a/saQ7NMV

https://imgur.com/ZAZkLAI

The yellow one is in the process of being rebuilt with the knowledge I got from the other one. But it’s on the back burner as I’ve got a huuuuge project I’m trying to get done
https://imgur.com/a/ibuA2Yc

That action figure is six inches, btw.

Are the Jeeps based off the scx10? I was actually able to use some printed parts that were made for the scx10 on mine even though it's not quite the same size.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
No, they’re GCM Skeleton J2s. http://gcmracing.ca/viewcategory.php?groupid=49. Though they both use scx10 transmissions and the yellow one has scx10II axles.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

kuffs posted:

No, they’re GCM Skeleton J2s. http://gcmracing.ca/viewcategory.php?groupid=49. Though they both use scx10 transmissions and the yellow one has scx10II axles.

Very cool!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
https://realtinker.blogspot.com/2019/07/the-tamiya-m08-concept-doing-rwd-mini.html

So, here we go. I built the M08.

Lets hit some big points. First, it's totally a touring car. It's as close as you can get to double deck while still being made of plastic.

All the parts.

I bought screws to replace the phillips head screws.

The car built.

Versus the M06

It's also some 130g lighter than a M06.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This thread can't die!

Because I have a false sense of reality we decided my son should get an RC car for his 5th birthday. Obviously a kit would be a fun bonding experience, so I should get a kit. We go hiking and started camping recently so a crawler makes sense since I have a crawler and he loves driving it. Every crawler basically needs some personalizing so you get a new body/wheels/tires and then just a couple upgrades and quickly you realize you are basically a couple hundred bucks off of the Vanquish Origin. So you buy your 5 year old a Vanquish Origin.

We built it together over a few weeks. I installed the electronics. He painted the interior, I painted the body and it turned out pretty sweet. Went with JP14 as he was born in 2014. This is 100% paint, no stickers at all on the body.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Are you adopting? My birthday is Friday.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My old man built me an RC12i when I was about 8, so hell yeah.

I haven't messed with any of mine in a few years but he was showing me his new Awesomatix touring car. Holy gently caress the fit and finish on that kit is miles ahead of any of the Associated or Losi kits I own.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My dad got me started by helping me with a Tamiya Hornet when I was like 10. It was awesome, even with it only having three speeds (iirc): slow, fast, reverse.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Big Taint posted:

Are you adopting? My birthday is Friday.

Happy birthday. A Big Taint is exactly what our family is missing.

My dad got a Tamiya Hornet the year I was born. When was 9 or 10 we got it down from the shelf in the garage where it sat and that began my obsession with RC. A few years later I got a Traxxas Stampede kit for Christmas and it was seriously the best day of my tiny life. I remember us struggling SO BAD to get the tie rod ends on the turnbuckles only to learn the threads were reversed on one side, and to get the e clips on the shock shaft was a challenge too.

My little dude turned every screw he was able to, he got all the hardware for each step and bearings, etc. It was a great time to bond.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I still have the old Tandy Porsche 935 that my parents got me back in the early 80s. And a Tamiya Sand Scorcher from the same era

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kibner posted:

My dad got me started by helping me with a Tamiya Hornet when I was like 10. It was awesome, even with it only having three speeds (iirc): slow, fast, reverse.
Same but Falcon and then a BigWig.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

My Son, and Daughter both like playing with RC cars. The little guy is 4, and can competently drive a car so long as he's not distracted. He really likes my F104. My 6 year old girl, can just drive whatever I hand her, and she does ok.

They both want the 6x6 fun cars from Tamiya. I haven't been able to bring myself to going there, yet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tamiya Hornet buds :hfive:

I always called that my first semi-serious RC, although I had several Tandy/Radio Shack specials before that.

I remember a big red dune buggy that ate C-batteries like a fat kid on candy but had a cool hi/lo range gearbox. And a sweet looking Audi Coupe GT. No idea what happened to any of them :(

This was the dune buggy:
https://rctoymemories.com/2012/05/20/tandyradio-shack-dune-buggy-1981/

And this is the Audi
https://www.amazon.com/Quattro-Radioshack-Tandy-Remote-Control/dp/B074VGCD12

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

build a konghead on that new axial 6x6 PROBLEM SOLVED

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Hornet was/is just a simple, tough, fun, and relatively cheap vehicle that exposes enough of what the hobby is while still not being overwhelming to little kids or anyone new to it. A wonderful kit.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The entry level of r/c is... really an odd place right now.

I think building is essential. The low end cars... that are still kits.. are remarkably hard to find. You have Tamiya. You have... Tamiya... DT02, DT03, TT02b, TT01, TT02.... I mean what else is there? I have a LC Racing EMB-1, but that build is as complicated and full on "advanced" kit.

Though to be fair, the Tamiya Mini's should be in that list. And the MST TCR is a good option.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, I also love building them as much as running them. Having nearly everything RtR nowadays makes me sad and nostalgic.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Kibner posted:

Yeah, I also love building them as much as running them. Having nearly everything RtR nowadays makes me sad and nostalgic.
I was looking at buying a kit to assemble partly for nostalgia and, yeah, most stuff is RTR. Apparently some people buy all the replacement parts and then assemble their own kit.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was looking at buying a kit to assemble partly for nostalgia and, yeah, most stuff is RTR. Apparently some people buy all the replacement parts and then assemble their own kit.

Having built it from pieces also helps a lot to figuring how to fix issues with the vehicle, too. Those blowout diagrams aren't as useful for teaching. :(

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well. I fell down the hole.

I now own four Kyosho Mini-Z's.

MR-03 - Mclaren F1 Longtail
MA-20 - Nissan R33
Mini-Z First - RX-7
MA-03F - Civic Type-R

......... And a radio is in the mail, that's supposed to be able to bind up to these things.

They're the best thing for driving around the house. It's great.

Pictures later this week. Maybe video too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kibner posted:

having great RTRs is amazing don’t @ me

if anything it’s a great way to introduce new peeps to RC (like my kid and I) who go on to build kits once they know what they like.

Mr. Apollo posted:

i only know about the crawler side but there’s loads of kits available now

Nerobro posted:

MA-20 - Nissan R33
Mini-Z First - RX-7
MA-03F - Civic Type-R

......... And a radio is in the mail, that's supposed to be able to bind up to these things.

if you figure out the protocol that’d be great because i want one about as much as i don’t want the RtR radio.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 3, 2019

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think it's a mistake. While it's an easier sale, I think it also prevents ... the dive into the hobby. I think... we've hurt ourselves with RTRs. Deeply.

You can buy models of things. But model kits get people to buy more. The stores that sell assembled models do a lot less well than stores that sell kits.

Edit: He says after buying four RTR kits...

evil_bunnY posted:

if you figure out the protocol that’d be great because i want one about as much as i don’t want the RtR radio.

it's FHSS, but evidently only a few KOPropo radios do it? I think that's BS, so I'm first trying with a futaba 3pv (a FHSS radio) and if that dosen't work, a 3pk with one of those 30in1 protocol modules.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nerobro posted:

MA-20 - Nissan R33
Mini-Z First - RX-7
MA-03F - Civic Type-R

Now, *why* did you have to post this and show me some cute little mini RCs that are on the market?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

slidebite posted:

Now, *why* did you have to post this and show me some cute little mini RCs that are on the market?

Right! Now I must buy two for me and my son. They look so drat cool.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Nerobro posted:

Mini Z's are so cool! I used to have a Mini Z Overland years ago which I stupidly got rid of. I don't even know what I did with it. I bought my older brother a Mini Z Racer as a gift years ago along with the Kyosho Knight Rider body (complete with scanner light that was speed dependent). I also got him a KARR body too. You could have them on display and have the light scanner going with just some AAA batteries. He still has them.

I also have one of these that I have never mounted to a car or used. It is still in the display case

I bought it like 12 or 13 years ago. I kept it on my desk as a reminder that I would one day have an M3 (it was going to be an E46). I never got the E46, but I do have my M3 :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I have a Honda NSX Mini-Z that I think I used twice and spends most of its time in a box. Cool little things, it is insane how much engineering they can fit in them. Sadly there's no scene for them in Australia

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

it's FHSS, but evidently only a few KOPropo radios do it? I think that's BS, so I'm first trying with a futaba 3pv (a FHSS radio) and if that dosen't work, a 3pk with one of those 30in1 protocol modules.
cool! i want a jumper 4in1 for spectrum b&f models anyways

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You Am I posted:

I have a Honda NSX Mini-Z that I think I used twice and spends most of its time in a box. Cool little things, it is insane how much engineering they can fit in them. Sadly there's no scene for them in Australia

10x12 bit of industrial carpet from your local home improvemtn store, some tape, and make yourself a track.

slidebite posted:

I owned a MR-01 for years, and had a ton of hopups on it. It's where I learned my love of pan cars. The Mini-Z's never went away. Also, now there's a whole ecosystem of other 1/28 scale cars that are in the same vein. That said, not many are as good as kyoshos offering.

wandler20 posted:

Right! Now I must buy two for me and my son. They look so drat cool.

Horizon has some MR03's for $129. They're RWD, and... more tricky to drive. They're $130. $190-200 gets you the FWD or AWD cars.

The "First Mini-Z" cars are ... disappointing after driving the nice mini-z, if you don't consider that it's essentially a free car with a nice body on it. My little boy likes his "first mini-z".

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Nerobro posted:

Horizon has some MR03's for $129. They're RWD, and... more tricky to drive. They're $130. $190-200 gets you the FWD or AWD cars.

The "First Mini-Z" cars are ... disappointing after driving the nice mini-z, if you don't consider that it's essentially a free car with a nice body on it. My little boy likes his "first mini-z".

So you think FWD/AWD would be better for my son (he's 5)? He's got a 1/16 E-Revo that he drives fairly well but something smaller seems like it might be more tricky.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

wandler20 posted:

So you think FWD/AWD would be better for my son (he's 5)? He's got a 1/16 E-Revo that he drives fairly well but something smaller seems like it might be more tricky.

FWD is much easier to drive. RWD is more rewarding. AWD.... I dunno. while most of my racing has been with AWD, I think it's a detriment to driving well. :-) If you're going to spend the money, you might as well go AWD. RWD is also faster, as it's direct drive. FWD and AWD both have extra "stuff" in the drivetrain that adds load.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Apparently you can change receivers in those new ones, including for a futaba one which all the multiprotocol modules should talk to I think?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Nerobro posted:

FWD is much easier to drive. RWD is more rewarding. AWD.... I dunno. while most of my racing has been with AWD, I think it's a detriment to driving well. :-) If you're going to spend the money, you might as well go AWD. RWD is also faster, as it's direct drive. FWD and AWD both have extra "stuff" in the drivetrain that adds load.

Nice, thanks for the info.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Apparently you can change receivers in those new ones, including for a futaba one which all the multiprotocol modules should talk to I think?

Only some of them. The ~really high end~ chassis has the swappable receiver. But.. FHSS is a standard... and.. well tonight we'll find out if FHSS is FHSS. My 3pv showed up today.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im in australia and looking to get an electric brushless for me (but will pretend it's for me son). So far my research says go 1/8 not 1/10 unless you like to fix things.

My original budget was $200 dolloridoos, but it looks like i wont get anything under $400

I see something like this

https://www.toysrus.com.au/hsp-94060top-86094-2-4ghz-brushless-li-po-4wd-off-road-1-8-scale-rc-buggy.html
(Im looking for something off road i can take to a park, no competitions or stuff, and yeah tru is back from the grave, most other places seem to have similar prices)

What sort of run time will i be getting?
Would i need to get a 2nd battery just to make it worthwhile?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

well.. i'm not sure what to think, or even say.

The car ~looks~ chinesium grade. But .au gets decent shipping times from them. I've never heard of the HSP brand. But it claims to have a hobbywing ESC, which is good...... 3600mah 2s lipo is pretty lightweight for a 1/8 scale car. It's even "just middling" for a 1/10.

$400 is ~a really tight budget~ for hobby grade cars. Especially 1/8th. I can't say I agree with "go 1/8th scale or you're gonna break stuff". Bigger things have more energy, more energy breaks more things. The 1/14th and 1/24th scale cars are virtually unbreakable, and fall like ants off a table. 1/10scale.. you need to hit something very solid before they break. (At least, that's been my experience).

This sounds... a lot like a recipe for pain.

If you want a good experience, and are ok with something small. The LC Racing EMB-1 cars are amazing for the price. And you could weasel something useful for $250 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

How good are the smaller cars at going over grassed areas?

Pretty much the car wont get used too much. It would be every few weekends now that it's spring/summer.

I dont want something too fast, but something upgradable would be good (if its just a change of battery)

More of an excuse to get my some to head out to a park when i go walking.