Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
No matter how much money Apple is direct depositing into Ives' bank account every 2 weeks, he can make twice that offering his services elsewhere.

How much do you think HP would pay to advertise a Jony Ives designed laptop? It's a lot.

Ives is totally going to design a butt ugly Acer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Presumably Ive will not design things that compete with Apple, considering they're still going to be a client of his new firm.

Most likely he wants to design other things than computers and phones.

Mu Zeta posted:

He wasn't in the Mac Pro video at WWDC so they must be pushing him out.

He narrated the design videos like he always does.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kefkafloyd posted:

Most likely he wants to design other things than computers and phones.
I'd suspect it's this, which he kinda has been doing but as charity projects occasionally. Or Apple store/HQ architecture and interior design. Now he can do whatever stuff regularly if he wants. Or still work with Apple apparently.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I doubt he's working with Apple again. They wanted him gone and that press release is a face saving measure. Didn't he design the trash mac? And maybe he didn't create the tragic keyboard but it was probably necessary because he wanted the laptops to be a mm thinner.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I doubt he's working with Apple again.

quote:

“We get to continue with the same team that we’ve had for a long time and have the pleasure of continuing to work with Jony,” Mr Cook told the FT.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Also:

quote:

Sir Jonathan is setting up his own new venture, a creative business called LoveFrom, with Apple as its first client.

Same guy signing his paychecks for now!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I think the press release a face saving measure and a lie. By 2020 the mac freaks like us will probably forget about the arrangement and we'll never hear about it again.

Have you ever heard of any company or person consulting for Apple to help design products?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 28, 2019

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Apple design has been functionally stillborn since.... the iPhone 5? The unibody MBP?

I don't know that new blood or the shakeup will make things any better, but it's not like there's a lot on the line for them right now anyway.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LionArcher posted:

Yeah, I’m curious about portals and half life. Are they 32 bit?

Can't seem to get Portal to work. Installs fine, but running it just pops the box up saying it's starting and the nothing. Running the hl2_osx executable manually gives me "Bad CPU type in executable." Stuff like vpk_osx32 and folders named osx32 flying around. Doesn't look good.

Would you believe I am so old my copy of Half-Life predates Steam?

Even Blizzard stuff suffers. Diablo 3 runs, Starcraft does not.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Apple design has been functionally stillborn since.... the iPhone 5? The unibody MBP?

I don't know that new blood or the shakeup will make things any better, but it's not like there's a lot on the line for them right now anyway.

Design tends to evolve, and the current gen of iPhones is light years away from the 5. The whole point has been to turn the thing into a featureless glass slab, and it’s worked out pretty well for them.

The Apple Watch was Jony’s baby though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I think the press release a face saving measure and a lie. By 2020 the mac freaks like us will probably forget about the arrangement and we'll never hear about it again.

Have you ever heard of any company or person consulting for Apple to help design products?

Hartmut Esslinger/Frogdesign

you’re an idiot

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Turns out once your laptops are 15mm thick and your phones are 7mm there’s not much left to design.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

A “face saving measure?” That’s ridiculous. What do they need to save face about? Why would Cook publicly lie when he could just say “thanks Jony for all the great, iconic product designs, best of luck with your new company?” Why would he invite endless speculation about some future collaboration between Apple and Ive’s new company that he knows will never happen? That’s the dumbest poo poo I’ve ever heard.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Because they know Apple fans/investors will get angry/worried about a breakup.

If Ives is being pushed out there are plenty of reasons why Apple and Ives would want the parting to look ‘friendly’. It benefits both to make everyone think its a mutual decision or at least create plausible deniability.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don’t have a list of what I’ve was and wasn’t responsible for, but I think change is good

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Because they know Apple fans/investors will get angry/worried about a breakup.

If Ives is being pushed out there are plenty of reasons why Apple and Ives would want the parting to look ‘friendly’. It benefits both to make everyone think its a mutual decision or at least create plausible deniability.

They could make it look friendly without talking up a nonexistent collaboration. That would look a lot more friendly than inviting speculation about why the supposed LoveFrom/Apple partnership never happened.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Apple will collaborate with LoveFrom. It just won’t collaborate on anything too substantive.

That company name is terrible. Ives is going to design yoga pants isn’t he?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Apple will collaborate with LoveFrom. It just won’t collaborate on anything too substantive.

That company name is terrible. Ives is going to design yoga pants isn’t he?

HomeKit-compatible furnishings and decorative items is my guess.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

AlternateAccount posted:

Even Blizzard stuff suffers. Diablo 3 runs, Starcraft does not.

I think D3 started out as 32 bit and it and HOTS went to 64 bit with their respective 2.0 releases, so it's probably pretty sure that SC2 will get moved to 64 bit soon.

eames
May 9, 2009

This vice article makes a good point, though nothing will change with Ive gone:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywyjmw/history-will-not-be-kind-to-jony-ive

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

eames posted:

On the other hand, they provide software support for their devices for longer than anybody else.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes:
And for an even more direct example, Ive first started working with Apple when he was with Tangerine.

I was wondering if Marc Newson (another initial outsider) was still there, but it sounds like he's joining Ive too...not sure if he's leaving Apple cause it sounds like he was kind of a freelance hire to begin with. He was working on the Watch before he was actually hired and was still free to do stuff on his own while employed too.

eames
May 9, 2009

Should be a The Onion headline but it isn’t:

Jony Ive Once Insisted on Apple Car Without a Steering Wheel

article posted:

The report claims that Ive came up with multiple early prototypes of the autonomous vehicle, including one made out of wood and leather that lacked a steering wheel at Ive's insistence.

Ive instead wanted the vehicle to be controlled by Siri, and to demonstrate the concept to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the report claims a nearby actress pretended to be Siri by responding to voice commands from Apple's executives.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eames posted:

The "Airpods can't be serviced" argument is one of the sillier ones I've seen because the item would simply not exist if they decided to engineer a replaceable battery or internal components. Like, you can see how small and how tight the tolerances are with the sealed case the Airpods have where if they had to add a door or something it would require the device to either be twice as big or just stick out even more than it does.

I get the argument with things like laptops where you can make the room with almost no impact on the final product but with Airpods that is clearly not the case.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Having a team make a design prototype of a level 5 autonomous vehicle while working at a company that has an autonomous vehicle division (and enough cash to still exist when and if the technology matures) is absolutely what a chief design officer should be doing.

If he was the head of engineering that's another story.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

The "Airpods can't be serviced" argument is one of the sillier ones I've seen because the item would simply not exist if they decided to engineer a replaceable battery or internal components. Like, you can see how small and how tight the tolerances are with the sealed case the Airpods have where if they had to add a door or something it would require the device to either be twice as big or just stick out even more than it does.

I get the argument with things like laptops where you can make the room with almost no impact on the final product but with Airpods that is clearly not the case.

As if designing a battery compartment IS WAY TOO HARD FOR THOSE POOR APPLE ENGINEERS. PFFT. What a crock.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I don't even care about replacing the battery. 2 to 3 years use out of something like AirPods is fine. As it stands, 2 years in these are the longest lived headphones I've ever had.

There should be a way to at least recycle them. Apple already has robots that can strip an iPhone clean. Set up a recycling program, hand out a 10% coupon for new ones to keep people buying AirPods, and you're golden.

eames posted:

Should be a The Onion headline but it isn’t:

Jony Ive Once Insisted on Apple Car Without a Steering Wheel

"Hey Siri"

[wait for 3 seconds]

"Swerve to avoid th..."

"Sorry, I don't understand."

[crunching sound]

End scene.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

As if designing a battery compartment IS WAY TOO HARD FOR THOSE POOR APPLE ENGINEERS. PFFT. What a crock.

No one is arguing that it’s too hard, only that it would make the product so lovely that there would be no point in releasing it at all. Nobody wants AirPods with gigantic stems that are three times as heavy just so every two years they can pry open a little door and swap out a battery the size of a gerbil pellet.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

redeyes posted:

Read > Comprehend > Post

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don't even care about replacing the battery. 2 to 3 years use out of something like AirPods is fine. As it stands, 2 years in these are the longest lived headphones I've ever had.

There should be a way to at least recycle them. Apple already has robots that can strip an iPhone clean. Set up a recycling program, hand out a 10% coupon for new ones to keep people buying AirPods, and you're golden.

Apple can recycle them (https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in) but you don't get any credit IIRC

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FCKGW posted:

The "Airpods can't be serviced" argument is one of the sillier ones I've seen because the item would simply not exist if they decided to engineer a replaceable battery or internal components.

Then they shouldn’t exist. :colbert:

They have an 18 month lifespan and then the internal components, which are covered in beads of glue, go into the ground, and that’s disgusting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

They have an 18 month lifespan and then the internal components, which are covered in beads of glue, go into the ground, and that’s disgusting.

:jerkbag:

How about we list everything else that’s just as bad if not worse.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Buddy I've got some bad news for you...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

All the poo poo you recycle is being thrown in a landfill because China isn't taking it anymore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

Apple can recycle them (https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in) but you don't get any credit IIRC

Okay, well that's something at least.

Gay Retard posted:

All the poo poo you recycle is being thrown in a landfill because China isn't taking it anymore.

I'm a hardcore recycler so it sucks that everything plastic I stick in the bins now goes straight to a landfill. Metal at least is still recycled.

If I'm remembering correctly part of the reason China stopped taking our trash is that we couldn't be bothered to properly sort and clean our plastic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So that was in 1990. Anything in the last 20 years?

When Steve Jobs announced the switch to Intel his PR language sounded exactly the same. He claimed that they still love the PowerPC and that they'll have great products with PPC coming out soon while they transition to Intel. But I don't think anything came out and it was pure spin.

Weedle posted:

A “face saving measure?” That’s ridiculous. What do they need to save face about? Why would Cook publicly lie when he could just say “thanks Jony for all the great, iconic product designs, best of luck with your new company?” Why would he invite endless speculation about some future collaboration between Apple and Ive’s new company that he knows will never happen? That’s the dumbest poo poo I’ve ever heard.

They are saving face by not making it look like they are kicking Ive to the curb. He's obviously not interested in computers anymore and wants to design museums or rolex watches and stuff like that. So they pretend like there will be a continuing relationship while gently nudging him out the door.

Also I'm just having fun speculating. No need for name calling. Did I poo poo on your cereal or something.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 29, 2019

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

When Steve Jobs announced the switch to Intel his PR language sounded exactly the same. He claimed that they still love the PowerPC and that they'll have great products with PPC coming out soon while they transition to Intel. But I don't think anything came out and it was pure spin.

Mac OS X Leopard (and all of its updated apps including iWork '06 - '09) came out after the switch to Intel and still supported PPC. Also, iTunes was still updated until 2012 for PPC.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Mu Zeta posted:

Say what?

When he announced the switch, he had to announce that the general public wasn't going to be able to buy an Intel Mac until about a year from then, and that it would take roughly another year after that to complete the transition. So he also announced they were going to keep updating PPC Macs, and that some were ready right then.

That wasn't bullshit, they actually did ship normal speed bumps. The only spin was the usual Jobsian effusive "they're great" etc, but (a) what else would he say, a CEO ain't gonna say "we're gonna ship a lame duck computer you'll regret buying soon", and (b) it was literally the usual. Jobs was the master of overselling yawnworthy things like bumping the PowerMac G4 by 50 MHz, or whatever.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

All I know is that it's SHOWTIME FOR SCOTT FORSTALL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BobHoward posted:

Say what?

When he announced the switch, he had to announce that the general public wasn't going to be able to buy an Intel Mac until about a year from then, and that it would take roughly another year after that to complete the transition. So he also announced they were going to keep updating PPC Macs, and that some were ready right then.

That wasn't bullshit, they actually did ship normal speed bumps. The only spin was the usual Jobsian effusive "they're great" etc, but (a) what else would he say, a CEO ain't gonna say "we're gonna ship a lame duck computer you'll regret buying soon", and (b) it was literally the usual. Jobs was the master of overselling yawnworthy things like bumping the PowerMac G4 by 50 MHz, or whatever.

Also the dual core/PCIe G5s were actually real good machines.

June 2005: Apple announces Intel transition
Oct 2005: Last G5s released
Jan 2006: RevA "CrapBook Pro" Core1Duo models released
June 2006: Intel announces Core ľarch Xeons
Mac Pro wasn't available until August 2006, had a worser GPU for some reason, and cost quite a bit more.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 29, 2019