Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

whydirt posted:

Dune but a workplace comedy on NBC

What’s the deal with heighliner food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think part of it is that the communities of a post-silicon space fuedalist society don't really resemble urban civilizations as we currently know them, in all their interconnected global trade and population boom, but rather the medievalism of clade societies that live within proximity to each other and still exercise raw and localised human power relations. The difference being that overly complex societies are short-lived, precarious, and abstracted while every house in the known Dune universe has a much longer perception of time and intergenerational power dynamics, and is therefore humming along in a very slow but steady pattern of social modification. Just a thought; maybe someone can add to this in a more coherent way.

That's a great summary. It also brings home just how big planets are, and how difficult it actually is to write multi-planet fiction that doesn't treat "planet" as a synonym for "city" or "biome"...
It's interesting too how our world is built on the promise of endless growth and technological change. But the Duniverse is a place where the only way to get a bigger slice of the pie is to manoeuvre your neighbour into dropping their own plate. It results in the distinctive unpleasant atmosphere of the Dune series.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

whydirt posted:

Dune but a workplace comedy on NBC

Usul has called a big one

That's what she said

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Seinfeyd

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Off-Ix

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Big Bene G. Theory

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

30 Rakis

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
f*r*e*m*e*n

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

"Salt's reclaimed. Motions of the body, especially breathing and some osmotic action provide the pumping force. Reclaimed water circulates to catchpockets from which you draw it through this tube in the clip at your neck... Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads."

"Could I BE wearing anymore clothes?"

so noone told you life was gonna be this wayyy

clapclapclapclapclap

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

"I'm Biff Stilgar, Assistant Galactic Emperor."
"Assistant to the Galactic Emperor."

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Two and a Half Fremen

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The Cubelodyte posted:

Two and a Half Fremen

Winner

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder exactly how much it sucks to be the average person on Dune. A lot obviously, but specifically how lovely it is to be some accountant while superhuman calculators and robot eyed dudes and seemingly psychic blue eyed jerks are telling you you're about to gently caress up three minutes from now while your witch of a manager is halfassedly watching you do it whole plotting how to get to the break room to get the rest of the spice coffee before anyone notices so she doesn't have to brew more

Old Frank knows when the masters start talking about profit-to-loss ratios and Six Sigma and other corporate bullshit, it's time to spend a month or so head-down in the axlotl farm detail cleaning, or at least until some quiet interpersonal kanly gets taken care of and HR is introducing the new VP of something or other.

Not that he minds anyways, he occasionally cleans the head office breakroom late at night and swipes a case of Caladan Blue spice coffee. And tonight, he's nestled in a warm spot between two tanks, coffee pot hooked to one of the respiratory line power feeds, box of donuts at hand and a copy of the latest BG Bitches. He flips to the centerfold and whistles.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

So, you know how the tanks have certain... features? Those ones which bring certain thoughts to mind when one’s hopped up on spice coffee? Looking at solidos of Magnus Volupta Pussaia’s wasn’t enough for Frank that night.

That year the Duncans came out all wrong.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So how are the ways "no computers/AI" and "no nukes" affect ability to genocide?

1. No ICBMs or orbital bombardment or anything else that requires continuously calculating trajectories, complex navigational or targeting instruments, or fly-by-wire (do shields stop missiles?)
2. No drones or killbots except hunter seekers I guess
3. ?

Still have poo poo like autocannons, chain guns, and miniguns, explosive rockets, dumb bombs, sand worms, whatever pre-programmed scripts a mentat can come up with, hot lava pits, iron maidens, stabbing lots of people, etc.

Well we actually know they have Nukes since "The Family Atomics" are repeatedly mentioned and treated as an important resource that even families in exile won't give up. So Nuking people is presumably still on the table, though I assume you toss it out of an Ornithopter Enola Gay style.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's not at all clear how the no computers rule works in Dune because it was written in the early '60s when computers were only used for huge computation tasks and weren't ubiquitous in every last simple home appliance and industrial machine like they are now. The best, simplest answer is that in the Dune universe the definition of computer is totally different from ours.

Take the ornithopters: they're a cool sci-fi sounding thing but they're also the least efficient way to build a flying machine possible. Building machinery to replicate the way bird wings work is hideously complicated and would presumably need what we call fly-by-wire computers to operate. There's no reason the thopters in Dune would be any different, but I guess that type of mechanical regulation isn't considered a computer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The other thing is that they already had an interstellar civilisation and all the requisite technology base before the Jihad and thus had access to alternatives like Spice, Mentats and alien flora to develop new tech out of.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Perhaps these bits from God Emperor will help clarify things on how machines work and are understood in Dune:

"“And you do not fear the Ixians’ machine?” Anteac insisted. “Is automation synonymous with conscious intelligence?” he asked.
...She spoke: “The machine cannot anticipate every problem of importance to humans. It is the difference between serial bits and an unbroken continuum. We have the one; machines are confined to the other.” “You still have the power of reason,” he said.

“The target of the Jihad was a machine-attitude as much as the machines,” Leto said. “Humans had set those machines to usurp our sense of beauty, our necessary selfdom out of which we make living judgments. Naturally, the machines were destroyed.”

“An Ixian machine? You defy the Jihad!” “There’s a lesson in that, too. What do such machines really do? They increase the number of things we can do without thinking. Things we do without thinking—there’s the real danger."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Butlerian Jihad was to destroy askjeeves.com

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I just read the synopsis of the Butlerian Jihad novel on Wikipedia and loving lol

Xavier Harkonnen sounds like a Mary Sue harkonnen based solely on his super cool X-name, which is not a lame, dumb name like Brian, no- it is the name of a strong and virile man.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

kiimo posted:

"Salt's reclaimed. Motions of the body, especially breathing and some osmotic action provide the pumping force. Reclaimed water circulates to catchpockets from which you draw it through this tube in the clip at your neck... Urine and feces are processed in the thigh pads."

"Could I BE wearing anymore clothes?"

so noone told you life was gonna be this wayyy

clapclapclapclapclap

Named for the Second Moon,

You teach the Weirding Waaay

It's like your mama said, "I must not fear"

But when you're trapped out on the open erg, the bled, or the sareeeer

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Dune but a Saturday morning cartoon from the 1980s

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dune but a 90s infomercial on a public access cable channel

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dune the t-shirt
Dune the lunchbox
Dune the coloring book
Dune the breakfast cereal

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

whydirt posted:

Hunters/Sandworms is basically this

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The Bloop posted:

Bitter cinnamon toast crunch

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Vlex posted:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Vlex posted:

"Spice up your breakfast!"

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

IIIIIIIIIIT'S KANLY!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vlex posted:

It’s the taste they can see when they turn the inward eye to mark its passage

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

You don't have to be prescient to know it's gonna taste great!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

whydirt posted:

I'm honestly kinda surprised this never happened considering what DID get cartoons in the 80s.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Dune the t-shirt
Dune the lunchbox
Dune the coloring book

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nickelodeon’s “Double Dune”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Leaked pics of Villeneuve ornithopter

https://twitter.com/JnAviPhoto/status/1143947711009435650

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

So dry and unpleasant, it must be good for you!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm honestly kinda surprised this never happened considering what DID get cartoons in the 80s.

Considering the people running Washington in those times, it would've had to have been a show about the noble empire fighting for freedom against the dirty desert rats. We were pro-apartheid back then, after all.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

umm i want these super bad!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

phasmid posted:

Considering the people running Washington in those times, it would've had to have been a show about the noble empire fighting for freedom against the dirty desert rats. We were pro-apartheid back then, after all.

Nah, the Harkonnens are Soviet, Fremen are mujahideen, Arrakis is Afghanistan and Paul is Rambo, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nah, the Harkonnens are Soviet, Fremen are mujahideen, Arrakis is Afghanistan and Paul is Rambo, obviously

It's a shameful Fremen who lets his foe draw first blood. :colbert: