Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Rolo posted:

I’m 5’11 and 150-something so I don’t think I really have to worry about my height or weight breaking a deal until something gets too heavy.

The bike I fell in love with while walking around was the Kawasaki Z650. I love the aesthetic and how comfortable it feels sitting on it. Considering it’s a little beefy and expensive for numero uno, I’ve been going and sitting on the Z400 ABS and I like it. Lighter and easier to hold up. I also like the lower price, especially if a used one pops up.

While I am still looking at ninjas and rebels, I can’t find a rebel at any local dealers because they sell fast here apparently.

Anything on craigslist? If you can find a riding buddy to come check out a used bike with you, it's a way better proposition than dealer prices. You can break even selling it later once you're experienced and get that z650 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I’m gonna scope CL heavily when I get closer to actual buying time.

Also I’m having issues with my chinstrap on my new Bell and I think I’m going to have to go exchange it (they apparently do 30 day returns on helmets if you haven’t been riding with it.)

It seemed to fit well in the store but now when I tighten the chinstrap and move my head around for a bit the strap double ring buckle slides back on my chin and into my throat/adams apple. Even when I tighten it without my head in it the strap sits at the center of the neck hole. How would I tighten this without it wanting to pull back into my neck?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I am not sure exactly what's happening - is the ring not static on the strap? I just looked at my helmets and the rings is the end of the left hand strap and so can't really move anywhere.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The rings are stationary at the end of the left strap, but it’s like the strap is mounted too far aft in the helmet for my head. The rings end up poking me in the Adam’s apple if I look down too far or tighten the straps enough.

The more I tighten the straps, the more the straps move from my chin to my throat.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Eek. Yeah, get something comfier.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m gonna take it with me to the MSF to get an experienced set of eyes on it but I’m almost certain I’m just gonna have to get something else.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 23, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That may just be normal. I'm sitting in a McDonald's drive thru (11 cars) on my bike right now and when I think about it, my chin strap is sitting right against my throat. I don't notice it.

Give it a couple of days, maybe? I haven't heard of anyone else ever having that particular issue, so it sounds to me like one of those things like shoes or rings where if you keep paying attention to the sensation it'll seem a hundred times more annoying than it is in reality.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 23, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

pokie posted:

Sure mesh jackets are fine. I have crashed in icon and klim jackets. They don't have as much abrasion resistance as leather.
Riding jeans are less fine, but I still wear them. Dainese and Revit offer good ones for example. I like using after market Knox armor in mine. It is quite thick. I have had a substantial crash in Bilt jeans as a noob. Don't get Bilt anything. They shredded.

Thanks for the great reply, much appreciated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thoughts about which U-Haul to rent to bring a 2011 Kawa 250 home? I'm looking at one 45km away so it's a little far to ask the guy to deliver, and while I guess I could technically ride it once I pass my M1 written I'd still need to register/insurance it and I plan to shop around for that.

I've been doing some research and I guess people manage it with a cargo van but I'm curious whether anyone's actually done this and how it's tied down.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Thoughts about which U-Haul to rent to bring a 2011 Kawa 250 home? I'm looking at one 45km away so it's a little far to ask the guy to deliver, and while I guess I could technically ride it once I pass my M1 written I'd still need to register/insurance it and I plan to shop around for that.

I've been doing some research and I guess people manage it with a cargo van but I'm curious whether anyone's actually done this and how it's tied down.

I just had a dude deliver my bike 100 km for the gas, it depends on the rapport you build. (I didn't haggle either, so that didn't hurt)

Worth a shot imo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I just had a dude deliver my bike 100 km for the gas, it depends on the rapport you build. (I didn't haggle either, so that didn't hurt)

Worth a shot imo.

Too true, I guess I can ask.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I'd deliver the bike 30 miles if the buyer hired me an Uber back home (or if we got along, I'd just ask him to drive me).

alternately, a Ninja 250 is small and would probably fit in a minivan with the seats out if you fold down the handle bars (bring a socket set, it takes 2 minutes). Definitely it would fit inside a cargo van. The smallest open U-Haul trailer would also work fine. compress the front suspension by tying a rope or strap between the front wheel and the steering yoke, then tie the bike down at 2 points on bars or fork and two points on the rear frame. (Or just look up a YouTube on how to do it)

E: oh and a 2x8 is enough of a ramp to get a small bike like that up into the van. Just take it real slow and try to get somebody to help you

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 24, 2019

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Sagebrush posted:

alternately, a Ninja 250 is small and would probably fit in a minivan with the seats out if you fold down the handle bars (bring a socket set, it takes 2 minutes). Definitely it would fit inside a cargo van. The smallest open U-Haul trailer would also work fine. compress the front suspension by tying a rope or strap between the front wheel and the steering yoke, then tie the bike down at 2 points on bars or fork and two points on the rear frame. (Or just look up a YouTube on how to do it)

I was able to fit my (pregen) EX250 in a Honda Odyssey with no mods except removing one of the middle seats of the van. Pretty easy with a ramp and everything.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I did the MSF course and got my license today, but I used borrowed gear for the course and now I'm checking out options.

The question I have is about pants- riding jeans seem like they're barely more protective than regular jeans. Leather pants are, well, leather pants, so how bad is the comfort level? What about other options? Help me with my pants problem. I've got lots of good stuff that goes in them like legs and my rear end, so I'd prefer more protective over comfort.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

What kind of riding do you plan to do? What's the climate like where you live? What's your budget?

Riding jeans with kevlar are fairly abrasion resistant where there is kevlar, so it's important to check that if you're buying riding jeans. Also check what pockets they have for armor. You want knee at a minimum, hip is good, tailbone is bonus.
Textile riding pants can come in mesh (for hot climates) and waterproof varieties, and are pretty good protection. My Klim Badlands pants are waterproof, protective, and comfortable, but also $Texas.
I have no experience with leather pants, because the weather is so unpredictable where I live (western Norway) and so I wanted waterproof gear.
All this goes for jackets too.

E: Also there's a bike gear thread in this subforum. Try posting there with your budget, climate, and use case (commuting, weekend canyon carving, touring, track days, enduro, etc)

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 26, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I procrastinated over riding jeans as well. I knew I didn't want leather, but also wanted some sort of protection.
Ended up getting these:
https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/fuel-sergeant-trousers-waxed.html
CE level 2 armor in knee and hips, kevlar in knees and top part. Stretchy enough to be comfortable and just about OK in the summer. Basic rain resistance..
Not sure what to do for winter yet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Something like this should do you well, without being hilariously expensive, though some people find overpants too bulky and uncomfortable, for less mass go with a pants and jacket combo (two separate pieces that zip together, they'll have the same name), Klim makes the best, I believe A* and Firstgear have some stuff, Cortech/Tourmaster is bottom of the barrel, but does use CE armor and stuff and is acceptable.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm in SoCal. I expect to just do recreational riding on the weekends through the mountains and whatnot, but obviously need to practice skills for a while.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I wear these, they look and feel good, and have CE knees and kevlar:
https://www.amazon.com/BILT-IRON-WORKERS-Steel-Motorcycle/dp/B0089GD88I

Btw, is there a good motorcycle chat discord?

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 26, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There is the Layer Dan slack channel if you look through the threads in this forum. It may have dropped off the front page but the slack is still active

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

There is the Layer Dan slack channel if you look through the threads in this forum. It may have dropped off the front page but the slack is still active

We miss you there btw.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If you like old Hondas you will love the Slack channel

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I wear these, they look and feel good, and have CE knees and kevlar:
https://www.amazon.com/BILT-IRON-WORKERS-Steel-Motorcycle/dp/B0089GD88I

Btw, is there a good motorcycle chat discord?

They are Bilt though....
I was on the discord associated with the moto Reddit, and it was ok until some people reacted to me posting about coming across a dead motorcyclist with bizarre screeds. One of them railed on about how government should keep it's hands of regulating anything except stopping the poor from procreating. That was enough for me.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

pokie posted:

They are Bilt though....

They're not $300 Dainese or RevIt, but for a new biker who doesn't have pants and just dropped big money on a bike and helmet, they're decent and certainly better than going without.

Plus they don't scream 'armour' when you go into a coffee shop like the hipster cafe racer we all have inside of us.

pokie posted:

I was on the discord associated with the moto Reddit, and it was ok until some people reacted to me posting about coming across a dead motorcyclist with bizarre screeds. One of them railed on about how government should keep it's hands of regulating anything except stopping the poor from procreating. That was enough for me.

yeah, that's gonna be a big Oof from me. I use Discord for other groups, so I was hoping not to install a new client.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: moving this to "which bike to buy" thread

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 27, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Martytoof posted:

e: moving this to "which bike to buy" thread

Link? My dumb rear end can’t find it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973065

Et voila!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Alpha Phoenix posted:

They're not $300 Dainese or RevIt, but for a new biker who doesn't have pants and just dropped big money on a bike and helmet, they're decent and certainly better than going without.

As a beginner I had Bilt riding jeans, and they completely tore up in a crash. I ended up with cuts and bruises. I feel like my everyday jeans would have done about as well. A price conscious beginner might as well just save the money and not buy any Bilt gear at all.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Plus they don't scream 'armour' when you go into a coffee shop like the hipster cafe racer we all have inside of us.

yeah, that's gonna be a big Oof from me. I use Discord for other groups, so I was hoping not to install a new client.

Own a belt? I have two pairs of "cargo" pants for the cost of shipping ($30) in the for sale section.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=80#post495406190

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

captainOrbital posted:

If you like old Hondas you will love the Slack channel

I feel personally attacked.

(#layerdan are a newbie-friendly crowd who were very kind to me when I started, not a bad idea to join)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I finished my MSF course this morning. Here’s my thoughts and progress report:

-I dropped a bike! The first time I tried the box to the right I got too slow and too tight and down she went. I probably could have saved it but man I’m brand new to all of this so I just held her as she slowly went down for her nap. I did not drop it or stall it during the exam but I did go over the line in the box, my real problem area.

-I passed. I was the only person by the end of the class that had never sat on a bike prior and it showed a lot. It got discouraging. After it was obvious I did the worst of anyone else on the skills test (sorta, read on) I went and talked to the instructors one on one and they assured me that I should definitely ride and practice the stuff that bothered me. They said they’d tell me if I should hang it up and that it wasn’t the case. That made me feel a lot better. The swerve, emergency stopping, shifting and handling at +5 mph went really well, I just gotta work on the slow maneuvering.

-The guy going in front of me somehow high sided at the very end, fell off the bike and broke his ankle in two places. An ambulance came and it was determined he needed surgery. He’s there now I reckon.

-Outside of it being 90 degrees I did really enjoy firing the thing up and taking off every time.

-I want to go more, get better and see what it’s like outside of second gear. I think I’m gonna start shopping for real this month.

Thanks for reading.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 1, 2019

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Rolo posted:

I finished my MSF course this morning. Here’s my thoughts and progress report:

-I dropped a bike! The first time I tried the box to the right I got too slow and too tight and down she went. I probably could have saved it but man I’m brand new to all of this so I just held her as she slowly went down for her nap. I did not drop it or stall it during the exam but I did go over the line in the box, my real problem area.

-I passed. I was the only person by the end of the class that had never sat on a bike prior and it showed a lot. It got discouraging. After it was obvious I did the worst of anyone else on the skills test (sorta, read on) I went and talked to the instructors one on one and they assured me that I should definitely ride and practice the stuff that bothered me. They said they’d tell me if I should hang it up and that it wasn’t the case. That made me feel a lot better. The swerve, emergency stopping, shifting and handling at +5 mph went really well, I just gotta work on the slow maneuvering.

-The guy going in front of me somehow high sided at the very end, fell off the bike and broke his ankle in two places. An ambulance came and it was determined he needed surgery. He’s there now I reckon.

-Outside of it being 90 degrees I did really enjoy firing the thing up and taking off every time.

-I want to go more, get better and see what it’s like outside of second gear. I think I’m gonna start shopping for real this month.

Thanks for reading.

My jaw literally dropped at the MSF highside. Do you have any more details? What the gently caress was he doing at the time?

Congrats on joining the 2 wheeled crew. Time to get a bike! Btw how did the helmet strap work out?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh I actually meant to go back to that! I feel it when I look down still but actually sitting on a bike and keeping my head where it needs to be keeps it out of my business. I also think it softened up a little from the use and gallons of sweat.

Crash guy: I had just started the station he left when he went down, so I wasn’t watching completely until I heard louder noises than I had been hearing. It seemed like he accelerated way too much for a straightaway-go-complete-stop exercise, gunned the brake, skid, recovered wrong and went over.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I had a guy nearly high side at my MSF course during the part of the training where you turn, get the bike upright, then brake. He did those out of order and had the instructor running in the other direction to get out of the way. Good times.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I saw a guy do the same in my class. He didn’t pass the license test but left with his permit. He had a couple year old GSX-R750 waiting for him at home.

Hopefully he’s still alive.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

An MSF instructor was killed last week in my city. :(

This was posted on the local motorcycle group right after it happened. Three days later they reported back that he didn’t make it. Just loving awful all around.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

pastor of muppets posted:

An MSF instructor was killed last week in my city. :(

This was posted on the local motorcycle group right after it happened. Three days later they reported back that he didn’t make it. Just loving awful all around.

Jeez. He should have been wearing his mecha suit, I guess :(.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Getting wheelied to death is a pretty metal way to go, goddamn that's brutal.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I feel sorry for the instructor and his family of course, but I feel sorry for the poor fucker trying to do the right thing and do an MSF course too. Imagine having that on your conscience. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Carth Dookie posted:

I feel sorry for the instructor and his family of course, but I feel sorry for the poor fucker trying to do the right thing and do an MSF course too. Imagine having that on your conscience. :smith:

Hey but at least it makes for a great story, "Pfft, when I took the MSF I fuckin' murdered my instructor... with a wheelie."