Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If I haven't played Skyrim since I beat it at launch what are the essential mods to get

What do you not like/want to change? Necessity usually says unofficial patches/DLC stuff first. One mod I can no longer do without is ELFX. It makes the lighting SO MUCH BETTER. I don't use any other lighting or weather mod, just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If I haven't played Skyrim since I beat it at launch what are the essential mods to get

All of them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Came here to post this.

homebrand
Oct 1, 2011
I really like SPERG and I'm playing a punch lizard.
Is there a way to make this unarmed Oldrim patch for SPERG https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/18454?tab=description play nice with Skyrim Special Edition?
None of the other punch mods have satisfied me.
:negative:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i decided to give iAFT a break and tried Nether's Follower Framework in my recent annual skyrim run and it's actually pretty solid, even better?

also plays nicely with RDO, and is currently being updated unlike AFT/iAFT/EFF

basically lets you have up to 10 companions at a time, but you can set up three "home bases" for all followers to go back to (and set where they sleep, rest, work)

The work part is when idle or at base companions will use crafting stations and actually make potions, gather materials, craft arrows, etc

Also depending on skills you can set companions to tank/dps/healer (healing actually works too, with you setting what percentage of health for themselves/you/allies they heal at if they have the magicka) and all this is done through MCM so you end up with way less companion interaction clutter

also has a built in summon mount keybind (follower mount support too) so you can drop convenient horses unless you really love all the other things it adds

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 25, 2019

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Does it include the ridiculous big game hunter barding? If not, no deal.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

it does not, no

but it is compatible with CH too!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Deltasquid posted:

EDIT 2: The modlist gives me like 20 FPS outside of Falkreath :negative: Which of these would be best to prune?

Pretty much just Veydosebrom and even that, not really. Your PC is poo poo. Don't use ENBs if you are using it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

all modlists are bad anyways

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Here's how you use a mod list:

Download mods you think seem cool and install them with Mod Organizer. If there are issues, troubleshoot.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

bony tony posted:

Here's how you use a mod list:

Download mods you think seem cool and install them with Mod Organizer. If there are issues, troubleshoot.

Huge if true.

homebrand posted:

I really like SPERG and I'm playing a punch lizard.
Is there a way to make this unarmed Oldrim patch for SPERG https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/18454?tab=description play nice with Skyrim Special Edition?
None of the other punch mods have satisfied me.
:negative:

That looks like it is a special edition mod? What are you asking?

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 25, 2019

homebrand
Oct 1, 2011
My bad, this one is what I wanted.

The other one breaks the automatic perks in SPERG and I just can't go back.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there an easier way to do the STEP mod install series besides the 7+ hour manual setup? Decided to get back into Skyrim after about a year away but I'd deleted the skyrim stuff to free up disk space and I'd forgotten what a pain in the rear end it was to do that setup. I would like to do it again since it was a very nice set of mods and worked pretty good. Should've zipped it up and uploaded it to google drive or something...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

homebrand posted:

My bad, this one is what I wanted.

The other one breaks the automatic perks in SPERG and I just can't go back.

Here ya go, friend. I should note that all I did was change the master from SPERG.esp to SPERG-SSE.esp, and then resave it in the SE Creation Kit. I'm using Vokrii this playthrough, so I haven't tested it.

Ambaire posted:

Is there an easier way to do the STEP mod install series besides the 7+ hour manual setup? Decided to get back into Skyrim after about a year away but I'd deleted the skyrim stuff to free up disk space and I'd forgotten what a pain in the rear end it was to do that setup. I would like to do it again since it was a very nice set of mods and worked pretty good. Should've zipped it up and uploaded it to google drive or something...

I swear to Talos God we get the same question every week. The answer is Trust in Heimskr.

Fun little bit of emergent gameplay today. I'm using Sacrosanct, Wildcat, Thunderchild, and Vokrii (in addition to a bunch of other of Enai's mods.) Anyhow, I was doing the Thunderchild quest where you have to carry the Fire of Kyne from Ivarstead to High Hrothgar in under 240 seconds. Well, you normally don't notice it, but in addition to infinite stamina while you're carrying it, Kyne's Fire also does a small amount of health damage each second. So small, it's usually more than countered by normal health regeneration.

Except that when Sacrosanct says "No regeneration in the sun, period, for Vampires" it actually means it. It's okay, I still have enough health to make it to High Hrothgar, especially since I took the Vokrii perk that heals you everytime you shout (Health, Stamina, and Magicka equal to the shout's cooldown) and you're supposed to use Whirlwind Sprint constantly in that quest anyway. Which is doing a decent job keeping me healed, since your inventory is locked during that run.

So anyway, I'm probably less than 100 feet from the monastary when my health finally drops low enough that Wildcat decides I've taken an injury.

To my legs.

I spend the next 30 seconds ragdolling every couple steps because a Leg injury means you keep tripping, and the timer runs out. Emergent gameplay!

This isn't a complaint either, I love sacrosanct because it makes you plan around being a vampire, with both real advantages and drawbacks. I did the next run after dark and did fine.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 26, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I grabbed a rift s a little bit ago and am considering grabbing skyrim vr on sale. I know most mods work between the two versions, but I doubt you can just move the mod folder over, can you?

Also, are there any good vr specific mods I should play with?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You pretty much can just move the folder over, honestly. I'd still set up MO2 for a separate install as AFAIK USSEP still has separate versions for VR and vanilla but the overwhelming majority of SE mods work out of the box on VR.

Just search on the SkyrimVR subreddit for the version of SkyUI that actually works on VR.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Sky Shadowing posted:

You pretty much can just move the folder over, honestly. I'd still set up MO2 for a separate install as AFAIK USSEP still has separate versions for VR and vanilla but the overwhelming majority of SE mods work out of the box on VR.

Just search on the SkyrimVR subreddit for the version of SkyUI that actually works on VR.

Oh dang I'll have to do that then. Good poo poo!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Agents are GO! posted:

I swear to Talos God we get the same question every week. The answer is Trust in Heimskr.

Uh. I googled that and got nothing relevant. How is that an answer?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The actual answer is no, there is no easier way, I was being silly. I don't like the step project, everything is too fiddly. My recommendation is to look at the OP, find the SE versions of the mods listed there, and go to town.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm having a blast running all of Enai's mods, the Frostfall stuff, Legacy of the Dragonborn and I think Climates of Tamriel?

So that's my current recommendation.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Sounds like a blast. Include Immersive Armors, LeanWolf's swords, Guard Dialog Overhaul and I'm there.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

bony tony posted:

Sounds like a blast. Include Immersive Armors, LeanWolf's swords, Guard Dialog Overhaul and I'm there.

Nice, think I'll add those, thanks. Never heard of LeanWolf's that seems like a real good one.

Oh speaking of "blasts" Apocalypse is in as well.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
LeanWolf's Weapon Overhaul takes the vanilla sword models and makes them not look like overdesigned kayak paddles.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ok about to release my own mod. It is a race ability overhaul intended to add abilities that are passive and always work (Frost resistance) or activate upon their own (Being in water, getting low health). This is because although racial powers can be cool, they add another reason to go into the favorite menu in the middle of combat, where you already have shouts, potions, poisons, spells, weapons etc.

I want feedback on if an ability feels good enough to pick that race for their specific fantasy. Such as for example a fierce Orc warrior. I also want it to be useful both early game and lategame and if it opens up more unique playstyles, like bonuses that would benefit something more interesting than just Bosmer archer, altmer mage etc.

Nords:

-Woad. Adds a flat bonus armor (40) + stagger resistance chance (50 percent change to completely resist a stagger) upon reaching 30 percent health in combat. No changes made to frost resist. I hope this fits in their fantasy of being an indomitable warrior, while also generally being good for any class.

Imperials:

-Discipline. Adds layers of bonus armor upon hitting thresholds of low health. For example, 40 + armor upon hitting 60 percent health, 80+ armor upon reaching 30 percent health. The lower the health, the more stamina percentage demanded to receive a further bonus. For example, to get just 20+ armor, you need 60+ stamina percentage.

This should fit into the fantasy of being able to get through tough fights when cautious, but being weak to opponents that completely go through defenses and deplete stamina like two-handed foes. This one is admitedly difficult to get right and Will need some tweaking.

Redguard:

-Adrenaline Rush. Bonus melee damage, stamina regeneration (massive, due to stamina not being able to increase while using it) and bleed damage immunity upon reaching low health.

Breton:

-Attunement. 30 percent spell absorb upon reaching 30 percent magicka.

-Dragon Skin: 50 percent magicka resistance upon reaching 30 percent health.

Now that last one sounds like a lot, but the game halves resistances because the game is funky. So its actual resistance is 25 percent, and it's only when low on health when you need it the most. This should benefit mage characters the most, but also non-mages in some situations for the former ability and many situations for the latter.

Orcs:

-Berserk. Almost same ability, activates upon reaching 30 percent health. 2x damage and 2x defenses. Added 30 percent spell damage as well so you would not feel completely bad about not being an orc warrior.

Altmer:

-Arcane weakness. 50 percent weakness to fire, frost and shock damage when reaching 30 percent magicka.

-Etherum connection. Regenerate magicka (X amount) when reaching low on health+ spell damage bonus.

Have not figured out how to make something interesting for non-mages here.

Bosmer:

-Escape artist. A high jump height bonus + dodge chance (similar to light armor perk, 30 percent) when reaching 30 percent health. Should fit the fantasy of being acrobatic, being able to pull off escape artist movements when cornered.

Khajiit:

-On the prowl. 30 percent sprint bonus in combat.

-Ferocious. Increased hand to hand damage, lower than vanilla, but increased beyond that when low on health or undetected.

Argonians:

-Histskin. Health regen upon hitting 30 percent hp. Will probably get nerfed to not be OP. Find it difficult to make interesting.

I Also just added bonus swim speed to water breathing because why not.

Dunmer:

-Pride. Bonus weapon and spell damage upon hitting 30 percent health. Saw little reason to go further since fire resist is incredibly good, but for Dunmer its a bit on the boring side. Dark elves are supposedly quite diverse when it comes to offense and I wanted that to be their crux. I through about adding bonuses for switching between bows, spell and melee. But it is difficult to implement and clunky to exploit fully.

Midig fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 27, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bony tony posted:

LeanWolf's Weapon Overhaul takes the vanilla sword models and makes them not look like overdesigned kayak paddles.

Both the Heavy Armoury and Animated Armoury mods are good for adding more weapon types to the game too, including spears and quarterstaffs with proper working animations too. Unique Uniques and Royal Armoury also take a few key weapons possessed by certain characters meant to be one of a kind and gives them unique models that actually look pretty drat good too.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

The actual answer is no, there is no easier way, I was being silly. I don't like the step project, everything is too fiddly. My recommendation is to look at the OP, find the SE versions of the mods listed there, and go to town.

I'm a fan of STEP but I also think it's not really worth following the whole thing to the letter. Their initial setup advice has always seemed solid but after a certain point of following through the mod list I was always like "drat, gently caress this tedium" and just used it as a resource.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

adding that leanwolf's is real good

plus if i recall its just nice replacers so no muss no fuss

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Sorry for actually bitching about a waifu mod being bad since most of them are anyway, but man Skyrim doll mod creators are just trolling us now. Looks like an Oblivion Character, we have gone full circle.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/26968

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 27, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Oh man, an Oblivion Potato Face for Skyrim is the mod that I never knew I wanted to exist. Replace all the NPC faces with those puffy potato mugs. Low-res textures, too.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm having a serious Mandela effect moment right now. I've played through Dawnguard like 4 times and only just now noticed her name isn't Serena.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Midig posted:

Nords:

-Woad. Adds a flat bonus armor (40) + stagger resistance chance (50 percent change to completely resist a stagger) upon reaching 30 percent health in combat. No changes made to frost resist. I hope this fits in their fantasy of being an indomitable warrior, while also generally being good for any class.

Just some feedback about playing with armour bonuses.
Armor provides something like 12% mitigation per armour value, with a hard cap at 80% mitigation. That 40 armor would reduce damage taken by 4%. At that low HP, the 4% mitigation probably won't make a difference, unless you have a ludicrous hp pool.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just some feedback about playing with armour bonuses.
Armor provides something like 12% mitigation per armour value, with a hard cap at 80% mitigation. That 40 armor would reduce damage taken by 4%. At that low HP, the 4% mitigation probably won't make a difference, unless you have a ludicrous hp pool.

Yeah, I knew about the former but had no idea that 40 armor would do so little, man oakflesh is even worse than I though. Maybe dodge chance is a better idea because it would translate well early and lategame. I guess the same goes for the imperial ability then. Thanks for the feedback much appreciated.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

timn posted:

I'm having a serious Mandela effect moment right now. I've played through Dawnguard like 4 times and only just now noticed her name isn't Serena.
Sorry, the timeline is intact. It has always been Serana :)

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Midig posted:

Sorry for actually bitching about a waifu mod being bad since most of them are anyway, but man Skyrim doll mod creators are just trolling us now. Looks like an Oblivion Character, we have gone full circle.

It got hidden now and I'm disappointed that I didn't click before.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zarick posted:

It got hidden now and I'm disappointed that I didn't click before.

You weren't missing much. It wasn't even a particularly good looking waifu Serana mod either.

E: oh it's unhidden now

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

It wasn't even a particularly good looking waifu Serana mod either.

That was the point...

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I was promised a potato face and was not disappointed.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I'm planning a vampire run using Sacrosanct and I was wondering if anyone had a good mod for like skipping the start of Dawnguard so you don't have to you know join the vampire hunters in order to join the vampires later?

Also do you still need to cure vampirism to become a lord in Sacrosanct cause I was gonna roll Molag Bal in Wintersun and uh that could be an issue.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 28, 2019

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's this for OG Skyrim, but I don't know if there are similar mods for Special Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Midig posted:

Wow. That’s a shockingly accurate description. Maybe this was made by a person that had their sexual awakening with Oblivion? She looks like she’s gonna scold me for feeding her the wrong slice of dialogue pie.