Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Blasters, i feel, do best clawing back what ever defense they can get. all else is secondary in my mind. After that, go with Recharge. Doing those first two, you will pick up things like +Accuracy incidentally.

Numbers to remember: 45% defense. this will floor the accuracy of anything trying to attack you, except Incarnate content. for Incarnate content you want 59% I gave an example of how to get to ranged defence cap in my other post. The Sorcery Pool is a good take for blasters as it contains a travel power, and rune of protection that you can 2 slot for both the resistance +3% inventions without having a power tax in Box or Kick like fighting has. Most blaster pools have a resist power though, so this isnt as important.

75% resistance. I never tried to use sets to get resistance. this is the Cap for all except Brutes and Tanks, who get 90% Blasters cant leverage this all that well.

recharge. I am not sure on the exact number, but if you can get your Global recharge to about 70% from set bonuses Hasten becomes permanent, adding another 80% recharge to everything at all times. having this off by a few seconds is not the end of the world. Luck of the Gambler, a defense set, is desired for its global +7.5% bonus. A blaster has a hard time slotting this, so Combat jumping, Weave, Hover, Afterburner, Concealment, Scorpion Shield, Maneuvers become desired to get more places to slot this enhancement. You can get 5 copies of this going, giving +37.5% global recharge. Other sets give +recharge are most Purple sets, Positron's Blast, Archetype Sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

e: ^^^ thanks for the numbers breakdown, that helps.

I’m straight up not enjoying this part! At least non-set IOs were easy and straight forward. I guess I just need to figure it out by myself, that’s disappointing.

I think I’m enjoying my fortunata more at this point than my blaster. I have a toggle addiction.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 28, 2019

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

You dont need to touch sets at all, fyi. Content was balanced against 1 hero running single origin enhancements with attacks slotted something like 1 acc/3 dam/1 rech/1 end. Sets are only there if you want to take a character to levels of looking at an Arch-villain or Monster and telling yourself "I can take it" Or running content solo at x8/+4 cause you can. if its confusing, time intensive, and you would rather do something else, do that. The only inventions i recommend to everyone is Performance Shifter's Chance for +End in stamina, and Numina's Convalescence Unique Regen/Recovery in Health. Just cause i hate running out of stamina. A few task forces and a trip to a merit vendor get you these, I think they are both 50 merits a piece.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 28, 2019

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I’d definitely like my characters to be as strong as possible, within the realms of attuned enhancements. I’m just frustrated at trying to wrap my head around these sets and needing to just feel out a lot of it. Coming from zero knowledge there is a lot to process.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Well, in that case, look at what powers you have a lot of, already slotted 5-6 slots. Attacks usually fall into this, a blaster will have 3-4 single target ranged damage attacks, 3-4 melee damage attacks, 3-4 targetted aoe damage. go in the auction house and look at what those sets do. its work, but its what you need to do to learn what is possible with sets

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

been having a lot of fun with the character creator. here's my villain

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

I helped some pubbie with Capn Mako. Some environmental artist knew exactly what they were doing.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Yeah I was just hoping there were some resources with recommendations etc rather than just “figure it out for yourself “ and if you stuff it up you’re out the cost of a respec and the IOs you bought/crafted because they were wrong/bad/didn’t do what you wanted.

I guess I will just figure it out! I have pines, so I’ll just have to get used to that.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

Sadly, my information was me brute forcing it and retaining a general sense of 'this set looks good, make a mental note on what I might use it in' If there is an excel sheet that allows you to just put in Maximize my X and it tells you what to slot, I dont know about it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

everyone told me energy melee was bad. but what they didnt tell me is it was also fun. made an energy/energy brute tonight and these attacks feel really satisfying. if there's buffs coming, bring them on

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

clone on the phone posted:

I’d definitely like my characters to be as strong as possible, within the realms of attuned enhancements. I’m just frustrated at trying to wrap my head around these sets and needing to just feel out a lot of it. Coming from zero knowledge there is a lot to process.
Fortunately most AT's can boil down to either 'don't get killed' and 'push buttons a lot' which is fairly easy to build for.
When you get to stuff like Controllers and people who care about debuffs there's a whole different paradigm to look at. (Freakin' Magnitude boosters.)

There's always hopping onto Homecoming's test server if you want to answer any weird esoteric questions you might have, such as if a Katana/Elec Scrapper can get away with not taking Hasten :v:

Edit: Also the magic number for Perma Hasten building is around 160-180% recharge IIRC.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 28, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

winterwerefox posted:

You dont need to touch sets at all, fyi. Content was balanced against 1 hero running single origin enhancements with attacks slotted something like 1 acc/3 dam/1 rech/1 end. Sets are only there if you want to take a character to levels of looking at an Arch-villain or Monster and telling yourself "I can take it" Or running content solo at x8/+4 cause you can. if its confusing, time intensive, and you would rather do something else, do that. The only inventions i recommend to everyone is Performance Shifter's Chance for +End in stamina, and Numina's Convalescence Unique Regen/Recovery in Health. Just cause i hate running out of stamina. A few task forces and a trip to a merit vendor get you these, I think they are both 50 merits a piece.

Check the AH first, though. If they’re less than 15,000,000 inf apiece, use those merits on enhancement converters. The market is still reasonably steady on those things being worth 100k each, and each merit is worth 3.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Harrow posted:

What debuffs/buffs do the Banished Pantheon pets have? ParagonWiki doesn't say, but I'm really curious.

Yep, the Wiki isn't helpful at all when it comes to the Lore pets.

The Banished Pantheon big pets' attacks apply a ton of debuffs, varying from -25% to -30% resistance to Cold, Negative Energy and in one case, All damage for 6 to 15 seconds; -20% recharge, recovery and regeneration for 6 to 12 seconds, and some other movement penalties. Most of these have shorter CDs than the duration of the debuffs. The small pets have their own smaller -10% resistance to Cold and Negative Energy, and a casual 50% chance for a mag 4 Terrorize.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Yeah I was just hoping there were some resources with recommendations etc rather than just “figure it out for yourself “ and if you stuff it up you’re out the cost of a respec and the IOs you bought/crafted because they were wrong/bad/didn’t do what you wanted.

I guess I will just figure it out! I have pines, so I’ll just have to get used to that.

Giving recommendations in a broad sense is really hard because the build variety is just so wide. Most things are specific to powerset combinations, but then you've also got whatever pools you wanna take, APPs, and incarnate stuff, and all of that's gonna vary on concept and what goals you have for the character. It can also vary a lot in terms of price: for some people, building with purple sets is pretty standard, and for others paying like 20 million for a single enhancement is just fuckin bonkers. Playing with a character builder a lot is generally the easiest solution. Even for builds I've put together, I end up going back and retooling things a few times once I get fresh eyes on it.

I think a good place to start for Pines is just building out what you'd want, and then looking at the sets you can use with those powers. Swap out picks you're flexible on and look at more sets that way. In a very very broad sense, people try to build for softcapped defense (the 45% mark) for whatever types are reasonable for them, lots of recharge to keep Hasten permanent or close to it, and enough endurance to maintain their poo poo. For ATs with native defense, this can be a big variety, but for ones without any sorts (like Blasters!), most people go for smashing/lethal bonuses. Powers that take Resist sets are good for the two unique enhancements that give 3% defense to everything each. Defense powers themselves are great for recharge with the 7.5% recharge from Luck of the Gambler in just one enhancement.

Just keep in mind that some enhancements are unique (Pines will yell at you for trying to slot multiples of those) and you can only benefit from 5 of an identical set bonus at a time (LotG's 7.5% is separate from the generic 7.5% recharge.)

Since you mentioned Fortunata specifically, I have an older and only sorta expensive build saved if you wanted something to look at and modify.

e: also, Pines has a display bug for Widows where it always shows the Hidden damage for attacks so they seem a lot more nuts than they really are.

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 28, 2019

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

...drat, that looks good.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I’m straight up not enjoying this part! At least non-set IOs were easy and straight forward. I guess I just need to figure it out by myself, that’s disappointing.

I think I’m enjoying my fortunata more at this point than my blaster. I have a toggle addiction.
Can confirm my filthy casual Earth/Sonic controller, AR/Dev blaster, and Elec/Elec tank were a joy in Incarnate content in Live with basically only the anti knockback unique and Miracle:+recovery to their name set bonus wise. Closest thing I got to """Optimizing""" was my giving my Broadsword/Willpower scrapper Weave and cramming regular defense enhancements in it while spamming parry :v:

Not enough games let me be jealous of people putting the good stuff into their builds, without also feeling like I'm dead weight.

City is thankfully a game where "Effective" and "Optimal" are (usually) separate rather than mandatory. You delve into set bonus to start towards convenience (I found the anti-knockback one after wishing I could fly/jump with an Elec armor without falling on my rear end from not being close to the ground) and then end up being a tiny god.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you have an idea what you want to achieve (better defenses, perma-Hasten, etc.) and tell me your power sets I can put together a build for you that hits those goals, or at least comes close in the case there are too many goals to fully specialize. I can try to make it an affordable build if it matters to you, or just go all out with purples if it doesn't.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been wanting to play this since before Villains actually came out, but I didn't have a good enough computer or connection at the time, and subscription-based games have always turned me off a little bit. I was initially stymied once these secret server leaks came out by the apparent idea that I needed to already have the game to connect to the servers, and it took me three threads before this one told me "Just launch Tequila, it'll get all the files for you."

So that's going, and now I'm kicking around character ideas. When I was considering getting into CoH before, I had the thought for a little old Miss Cleo-style psychic. Dark/Something controller. I think it would be kind of inappropriate in this day and age, maybe.

Otherwise, I could rebuild an old tabletop character. I have Ven Hao, who was a long-range ice-focused character (Kinda wanna do Staff/Ice Stalker for him, but maybe that's for a different character). Keyhole, whose powerset was making portals everywhere to step/look/punch through. And a few "superheroes" that were basically "Normal dude with a cool utility power that can maybe do clever attacks." How would you spec Mutants & Masterminds' Color Control here? :iiam:

And while reading over this thread, I had another idea. Beast/Nature MM, but he's a robot. This is probably what I'll go with first unless I build Ven. Need a good punny name for him, though. Animal CTRL is my best so far.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I found this thread very informative about starting to make IO builds (:reddit: warning). According to pines and the author of that post the recharge you need for perma hasten is 105%.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Harrow posted:

If you have an idea what you want to achieve (better defenses, perma-Hasten, etc.) and tell me your power sets I can put together a build for you that hits those goals, or at least comes close in the case there are too many goals to fully specialize. I can try to make it an affordable build if it matters to you, or just go all out with purples if it doesn't.

Awesome, I will get back to you

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sea Lily posted:

everyone told me energy melee was bad. but what they didnt tell me is it was also fun. made an energy/energy brute tonight and these attacks feel really satisfying. if there's buffs coming, bring them on

I went through the powers recently and nothing had that pose. What is it?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

it's probably an emote + going into combat mode at a key moment

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Note that stuff like Perma-Hasten is only marginally less effective if you're close enough. For example, I have multiple alts with Hasten being about 5 seconds off of perma (~95% global recharge). If the extra 5 seconds make a difference, I can't feel it. 9 times out 10, it doesn't matter except for some every specific/optimized builds. If you're really hurting for an extra few seconds on a long recharge timer, slot a Force Feedback proc in one of your attacks that has knockback.

The only thing I would consider all/none is Defense. As others have said, the difference between 30% and 45% on Defense is huge, like 4x effective HP huge. Granted, 30% defense will give you ~2.5x effective HP over a character with 0 defense but 45% will give you 10x(!) the effective HP over a 0% defense character. The breakpoints I tend to shoot for is 20%, 32.5%, and 45%, or 2 (Small) Luck, 1 Lucks, 0 Lucks to get to the cap. Also, IIRC, the game weighs a to-hit roll against your highest defense for both the damage type and positional type, so if you get 45% melee defense, it won't matter what kind of damage type it is. Likewise, if you cap Smash/Lethal, it won't matter where it comes from as long as it has a smash/lethal component (which most attacks do). I find positional defense to be superior but its generally harder to get.

FooF fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 28, 2019

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Holy crap I miss this game. Gotta hop in after work and mess with the character creator!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Logged in for the first time in about two weeks these last few days and goon chat has been dead. What's up?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Crasical posted:

...drat, that looks good.

My Elec/Shield brute is jealous.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

City of Heroes has this weird way of getting into my head.
The more I play, the more I try to figure out how to make a TV/Movie/Comic character in the game.

Like, is Hellboy a Stone/Fire Brute or is he more SS with the single big robot arm?

How would I make Isaac the chemist from Perdido Street Station?

Minecraft does the same thing. I look at a building and immediately start breaking down how I could build it in voxels.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Soonmot posted:

Logged in for the first time in about two weeks these last few days and goon chat has been dead. What's up?

New expansion for Final Fantasy XIV just went live this morning. I think there's a fairly high crossover between FFXIV goons and CoH goons so the city side may be quiet for a while.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Got on last night and had a full goon villain team in like 20 minutes, maybe it was just a bad time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Could have been, but usually there's a steady stream of goon chat happening.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
I want to play the most destructive DPS monster in the game. What are the min/max options here? Is it Titan/Bio or get bent, basically?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I ride bikes all day posted:

I want to play the most destructive DPS monster in the game. What are the min/max options here? Is it Titan/Bio or get bent, basically?

Probably Titan/Fire. Bio is awesome but Fire has Burn which puts it over the top on damage.

For raw DPS, a Fire/something blaster edges that out. Fire/Time maybe.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Fire/Time maybe.

Yeah, but the game won't let me make a DeLorean in the character creator.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

HPanda posted:

Yeah, but the game won't let me make a DeLorean in the character creator.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

that sure is a description of a hero

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Go here and find a build for your exact powerset, if you can't find one make a post.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/board,36.0.html

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I think that might be the crux of my problem. I don’t know what goals I should be aiming for. Things like recharge and end reduction/modification, def/res (soft) caps, damage amounts, procs etc. is there a resource that gives suggested amounts for ATs?

permahaste is a good one for every char basically

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My goals depend on the AT, but I usually look at things in this order:
  • Slot the "good on any build" globals. This means things like LotG recharge, Steadfast and Gladiator's Armor global defense, and Shield Wall's global resistance. Throw in one of the global knockback resist enhancements, too.
  • Get endurance recovery to a good spot. This generally means three-slotting Stamina (Performance Shifter proc + end mod and one generic end mod invention) and putting one of the global +recovery enhancements in Health. That's enough for a most builds, I find. If you really need more, you can put a second slot in Health and slot the other +recovery enhancement.
  • Cap or softcap main defenses. Which defenses depends on the AT and power sets. For non-melee ATs, I'm usually trying to softcap smashing/lethal/energy defense. For melee ATs with defense armors, I'm trying to softcap positional defense. For resistance armors, I try to cap as many resistances as I can.
  • Achieve perma-Hasten, or close to it. Keep in mind that Alpha slot Agility can help a lot here.
  • Boost my other defenses as much as I can. If I've softcapped defense, here's where I try to get some resistance. If I've capped resistances, I'm trying to get some defense. With some Tanker or Brute setups, you can get the best of both worlds, which is fun.
After that, the rest is just a bonus. Generally you aren't going to get huge global damage boosts out of set bonuses, so it's not usually worth it to make that a primary goal--get those when they're available but don't go significantly out of your way.

Once you're feeling really comfortable, you can start thinking about when to sacrifice a set bonus or two in order to slot damage procs in your bread and butter damage powers and stuff like that. But that's all bleeding edge optimization stuff and just slotting good sets will get you really, really far.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 28, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I screwed around on an Archery Blaster long enough to think that Devices may be a better pair than Tactical Arrow.

If only for Field Agent. Can anyone comment on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Inzombiac posted:

City of Heroes has this weird way of getting into my head.
The more I play, the more I try to figure out how to make a TV/Movie/Comic character in the game.

Like, is Hellboy a Stone/Fire Brute or is he more SS with the single big robot arm?

How would I make Isaac the chemist from Perdido Street Station?

Minecraft does the same thing. I look at a building and immediately start breaking down how I could build it in voxels.

I'm the same way with the Sims, I've found myself looking at architecture or someone's wallpaper or floor and thinking "Oh, I could build that."

I could probably build the protagonist or one of the antagonists from the last good anime I watched, too.