Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

Didn't someone say that a lot of people who play with inverted stick controls (like me) did so because the first FPS we ever threw time into was Goldeneye? Or was it Halo?

I don't think Halo inverted by default, since I remember having to change it whenever I played multiplayer at someone's house. I think inverted users may have also played a lot of flight based games and/or joystick controlled games before going into FPS. Plus back then things weren't quite as standardized, so inverted seems intuitive by the logic of looking up in real life requiring pulling your head back. If you look at the camera controls of early third person 3d games, there's a similar split in logic, of whether you're moving the camera or moving where you're looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean I'm assuming it's gonna be a dramatization in which case getting someone with fuckin gorgeous hair to be Romero is key

?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you’re having trouble following the looking-around directions in the tutorial, Halo will invert the view controls for you and let you try that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More recent games are cleverer, they just prompt you to “look up” and whichever way you push the stick is assigned to up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
serious sam for doom

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! yourself

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
doom incarnate + bratwurst or kriegsland is amazing. so many dead nazis

(the reloading is kinda janky and the documentation on the controls are poo poo tho)

site fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 28, 2019

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It'll be both Francos playing the Johns and they'll somehow take credit for Doom's success like The Disaster Artist

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

fragglet posted:

I have a cronjob that runs every Friday, builds the latest version of Choco and runs through every demo with it to confirm they all still sync.

Someone recently pointed out to me that I should really be testing the corner cases though - there's a big list on Doomworld of problematic demos which rely on weird memory overwrites triggered by particular WADs and rely on special emulation logic to play back properly. Those currently aren't in the test list.

This is so cool. Do you link it through Jenkins or Travis?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Still playing Amid Evil. The Forges really was a repeat of Episode 3: precision platforming while fighting enemies means you can't avoid projectiles easily, annoying floating monsters, that sorta thing. At least it's cool to look at with all its traps and contraptions. Oh! And I did quite like the boss fight.

Only a level into Arcane Expanse and it's definitely a return to form, and absolutely stunning to boot.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
For the weapons in amid evil being kind of abstract they still manage to feel good to use in the way a lot of hexe and heretic wraps were

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Shoehead posted:

It'll be both Francos playing the Johns and they'll somehow take credit for Doom's success like The Disaster Artist

This is what it will be, and I'm mad as hell.

James Franco will use his Tommy Wiseau wig

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here is that Chasm: The Rift speed-run from SGDQ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4rhSX8fFwI

Other runs:
Final DOOM
Perfect Dark

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

site posted:

doom incarnate + bratwurst or kriegsland is amazing. so many dead nazis

(the reloading is kinda janky and the documentation on the controls are poo poo tho)

You can mash R to reload faster, and there's a giant READ ME on the main menu.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Doom: The Boardgame spec ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kti4rbtcAcA

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The next 2-3 hour block on SGDQ is:
Quake
Half-Life
Half-Life 2

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat, I think They Will Repent is one of my all-time favorite "official" Doom maps

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean I'm assuming it's gonna be a dramatization in which case getting someone with fuckin gorgeous hair to be Romero is key

Oremor nhoj, em mirt tsum uoy, elor eht niw ot.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cephalectomy posted:

For the weapons in amid evil being kind of abstract they still manage to feel good to use in the way a lot of hexe and heretic wraps were

I think a lot of it comes down to the way they gently caress up enemies. Sword dismembers them, mace nails them to walls, trident makes them explode. And of course the claw is a rocket launcher.

The staff and the aeternum feel lacking to me, and I'm pegging that on the lack of sheer visceral splatter.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[SCENE: Roof of the Ion Storm offices in Dallas]

[ENTER JOHN ROMERO]

JOHN: "I did not say that, it is bullshit I did nahhhht. Oh hai, Tom"
TOM HALL: (holding a GREEN BAY PACKERS helmet) "Hey John, what's up?"
JOHN: "I have a problem with the players, they say I said I was going to make them my bitch!"
TOM: "What? Well did you?"
JOHN: "No it's not true, don't even ask!"

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 28, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Klaus88 posted:

You can mash R to reload faster, and there's a giant READ ME on the main menu.

as i discovered you have to turn on old reload style for that to work and the readme is just one image of stuff like "this is an upgrade pack" that doesnt list the controls

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1144663069555138560

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.
I grabbed the Dusk and Amid Evil combo on the steam summer sale. I went from being very anti-dusk due to its art style to really looking forward to running, shooting, and backflipping my way through the game. I blame you all for this.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So I bought Dusk because everyone was raving about it, then I thought "I haven't played Quake and Doom in many many years", then I thought "I never looked into the mod scenes for these games", then I thought "And what else is there anyway", and, well...

... I fell into a hole. I don't need help though, it's a fine hole to be in.

Can't get Dark Forces 1 to run though :(

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 28, 2019

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well gently caress. Now that is a good idea that for some reason I didn't think about

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

site posted:

as i discovered you have to turn on old reload style for that to work and the readme is just one image of stuff like "this is an upgrade pack" that doesnt list the controls

Works fine for me on the new reload style.

Doom incarnate is one of those mods that has a learning curve.

Have you experienced the glorious AA-12 expendables scene loop that is the fully upgraded grimhammer?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i seriously can't rec dusk and amid evil enough during the ongoing sale stuff. if civvie being a weird boomer and enjoying them isn't enough of an endorsement then i dunno what is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think dusk is the better game overall but amid evil is wicked (and has what i think are the ideal retro graphics). i need a theme for my game these assholes are making me learn unity. wanted to do a kind of witchfinder deal but remembered witchfire is a thing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

i need a theme for my game these assholes are making me learn unity.

anime high school

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Groovelord Neato posted:

going back in time and preventing all anime

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I need validation. Who else doesn't like using Covenant weaponry in Halo campaigns? They just aren't half as satisfying to use as the chunky marine weaponry. The Brute shot whips rear end though. Every time I see gameplay for any of the Halo campaigns whoever is playing just immediately drops whatever gun they have for plasma weaponry and it's just hhhhhrrrng :argh: There's a badass combat shotgun right there you twerp!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaconCopter posted:

going back in time and preventing all anime

certainly better than the first suggestion!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I need validation. Who else doesn't like using Covenant weaponry in Halo campaigns? They just aren't half as satisfying to use as the chunky marine weaponry. The Brute shot whips rear end though. Every time I see gameplay for any of the Halo campaigns whoever is playing just immediately drops whatever gun they have for plasma weaponry and it's just hhhhhrrrng :argh: There's a badass combat shotgun right there you twerp!

The covenant guns in Halo 1 are all aces sorry.

The Halo 2 plasma guns got nerfed to poo poo for the sake of dual wielding and are no longer good, except for the charged plasma pistol shot. This is only sort of fixed in Halo 3. The brute guns are all chunky and fun though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

You are trapped in an automated customer support labyrinth trying to avoid the AI menus. You win by finding a human agent.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The only gun I never found any use for is the plasma rifle, all the others were effective enough that I put up with the pew pew sound effects (except the microwave gun in Reach, what even was that thing).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also whose brilliant idea was it to have the Halo fan wikis use the long incomprehensible in-universe names for everything and not the names people actually know

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

haveblue posted:

Also whose brilliant idea was it to have the Halo fan wikis use the long incomprehensible in-universe names for everything and not the names people actually know

Halopedia writers and Wookiepedia writers venn diagram is a flat circle.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Any fun weapon mods out there for high enemy count WADs? When I'm bored and listening to podcasts, I'll usually just flip on something like Hell Revealed 2, type in IDDQD, and go hog wild, but I'm kind of tired of the same weapons. Every time I try a weapon mod it's usually got particle effects that my Ryzen 7 and 2080 choke on, or obnoxious screen shake, or changes the game graphically in some way that looks bad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
well i got recommended doom incarnate here the other day and its been pretty fun so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Any fun weapon mods out there for high enemy count WADs? When I'm bored and listening to podcasts, I'll usually just flip on something like Hell Revealed 2, type in IDDQD, and go hog wild, but I'm kind of tired of the same weapons. Every time I try a weapon mod it's usually got particle effects that my Ryzen 7 and 2080 choke on, or obnoxious screen shake, or changes the game graphically in some way that looks bad.

4X and BoomDoom, combined :supaburn: