Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
The first time the aetherflow cooldown resets and I still have aetherflow left was the most disgusting feeling of my life

even worse than not seeing protect every time I look at my party frames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
is this napkin math right? a gunbreaker burst window at 80 is like nearly 10k potency?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Well poo poo, Despair doesn't work with Umbral Hearts. drat you, media tour build, I wanted my triple Despair opener! :argh:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's good they made a class for people who found RDM too complicated. It's fun as heck but wow you could set up sound prompts for dancer procs and play the game with your eyes closed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gunbreaker loving slaps but I can't wait to get Continuation, because I know it's going to get insanely fun as soon as I do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:dogcited:

been trying some Dancer and it owns, but there's one thing I'm unsure about : the dance finish is a really beefy move, does it make up for the time spent dancing? In other words - are you supposed to dance on cooldown?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 28, 2019

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Your Computer posted:

:dogcited:

been trying some Dancer and it owns, but there's one thing I'm unsure about : the dance finish is a really beefy move, does it make up for the time spent dancing? In other words - are you supposed to dance on cooldown?

Going to hesitate a guess that no you should do it right before the buff runs out

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I seriously can't decide which gun class to play they both look sick as hell

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm glad the history of the Gunbreaker class actually involves breaking guns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder how long it will take for dungeon queues to even out and return to normal. I want my instant tank queues :argh:

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Harrow posted:

I wonder how long it will take for dungeon queues to even out and return to normal. I want my instant tank queues :argh:

As soon as they release a new healer class :)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Rouse was actually one of the less handy ones that we lost. The total list of things I had to remove, including two shared skills that were must-haves anyway and excluding Protect...

-Eye for an Eye (even as a shared skill it was still a Scholar skill, let's be honest)
-Energy Drain
-All but one manual pet spellcast
-Selene, for that matter
-Miasma
-Bane
-Shadowflare
-Sustain (which was useless let's be honest)
-Rouse

I might've missed a couple.

I loved that Scholar always had something to do, but now it has basically nothing. I liked a comparison I saw that it's like when you go into a super-early dungeon and only have the barest toolkit; I'm not actually having difficulty, but I am very bored.

I wouldn't even call it that, because none of its healing kit really lost anything. This is going 'we need to clip this bird's wings' and then de-breaking and de-clawing it instead.

Eye for an Eye is pretty much a poster child for bloat that was there to give the impression of flavor. A 20% chance to decrease a hit by 10% averages out to a 2% damage mitigation on a 120 second cooldown and with the added variance where it could literally be useless. Its not protect, but it was getting there.

People had stopped using selene like an expansion and a half ago.

Miasma, Bane and shadow flare were good flavor of damage but their effectiveness kept going down with each expansion. They were most useful when running level 50 content and if they had left them there they would have just left them at their level 50 potential while cutting back on broil and leaving bio2 without an upgrade.

Pretty much the only thing I'm going to miss is energy drain as a damage/aetherflow burner.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My general impression of the healer changes is that they removed all the illusionary complexity (cooldowns you mostly don't need, multiple DoTs that do all the same things).

This is, therefore, an improvement, but it's also a disappointment to people who wanted them to replace the illusionary complexity with real complexity.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

As soon as they release a new healer class :)

:negative:

chemist when

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

My general impression of the healer changes is that they removed all the illusionary complexity (cooldowns you mostly don't need, multiple DoTs that do all the same things).

This is, therefore, an improvement, but it's also a disappointment to people who wanted them to replace the illusionary complexity with real complexity.

The healer change that stings the most for me is Scholar losing Shadow Flare and Bane. Having one DoT instead of two is whatever, but being unable to spread them and losing Shadow Flare really bums me out. Art of War looks cooler than Miasma II so that's a fine replacement in my book.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Eye for an Eye is pretty much a poster child for bloat that was there to give the impression of flavor. A 20% chance to decrease a hit by 10% averages out to a 2% damage mitigation on a 120 second cooldown and with the added variance where it could literally be useless. Its not protect, but it was getting there.

People had stopped using selene like an expansion and a half ago.

Miasma, Bane and shadow flare were good flavor of damage but their effectiveness kept going down with each expansion. They were most useful when running level 50 content and if they had left them there they would have just left them at their level 50 potential while cutting back on broil and leaving bio2 without an upgrade.

Pretty much the only thing I'm going to miss is energy drain as a damage/aetherflow burner.

Selene probably could have used a redesign, but having a second offensive-oriented fairy isn't a bad idea by itself.

Miasma was due for a new rank just like Biolysis got (and Bio3/Miasma3 from the last expansion). Bane and Shadow Flare are oGCD (and Bane would get buffed by Biolysis and a theoretical new Miasma rank) and therefore fine.

I'm not really upset about any specific spell being cut (except Energy Drain which had a very specific place in the kit). I'm upset that there's nothing to replace them. SCH was already kind of simple from a DPS perspective and now it's literally a two button rotation.

Rand Brittain posted:

Pretty much. I'd argue that handling the timers of multiple DoTs is actual complexity (especially if those timers don't line up), but I'd take a different rotation gimmick too.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Impermanent posted:

people forget that sch was the uncontested king of healing for an entire expansion - it did, in fact, need its wings clipped a little.

SCH is still the uncontested king of healing. The thing that made us strong was never the amount of DPS skills we had, it was our massively powerful burst healing (better than ever), our ability to DPS at the same time as healing due to most our heals being oGCDs (all our new heals are also oGCDs), and our access to Chain Strat (we still have chain strat). And in Shadowbringers we can add "has ludicrously strong shields" to the list, given that we can now create 762 potency (1325 potency on single targets) shields on demand every 2m.

The complaints about ShB SCH have always been about how it will feel.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

tote up a bags posted:

Going to hesitate a guess that no you should do it right before the buff runs out

Actually going the other direction on this - it's 1k potency, and the dance takes 3 gcds to finish. Even with procs, I'm not sure your regular combo can beat that.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

So far, no regrets taking a vacation day. I haven't seen a login queue on Ultros and everything's stable. Haven't even had trouble zoning into populated areas. Might get worse later, but so far it's smooth.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what's the non-pld main tank now that they've acknowledged the Mt/ot split? drk?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rand Brittain posted:

I think you're not too far off, here. But I think that the complexity that they lost wasn't entirely illusory even if they weren't extremely useful (there's actual use in a good chunk of the spells Scholar lost, and some of AST's cards might've been niche but they weren't actually 'five pieces of trash and Balance'), and also that... well, let's face it, illusory complexity can be fun. It feels productive, it feels like you're doing something. Without a lot of those buttons Scholar is just sitting back and waiting for someone to get stabbed, and without the full card system Astrologian just has a damage buff that requires hitting two buttons to deploy instead of one (really AST didn't get rid of its illusory complexity, it reducedthe illusion of choice built into it).

Actual complexity is better than illusory complexity, but I'd argue that in this case, their 'illusory complexity' was better than not even trying. Sure, maybe the six buttons I hit between heals did a whole lot less than I felt like they did, but it felt a lot more useful than just doing a one-two punch of fairly weak damage skills while waiting for the chance to heal something.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a way to use crossbar style hotbars with a keyboard setup? I'd like to configure my UI so it's the same whether I'm using a keyboard or controller, but can't find any option to use the crossbar setup without a controller.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I feel really bad for Healers this expansion

But man, if you're a DPS or a Tank, you are eatin tonight

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Any idea why a friend's Clan Hunts (Clan Nutsy??) quest wouldn't show up, while the rest of us got it? This is the first time we've all been able to start an expac at the same time. Right now we have him running around checking if he got all of the hunt-board quests from each expansion.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Any idea why a friend's Clan Hunts (Clan Nutsy??) quest wouldn't show up, while the rest of us got it? This is the first time we've all been able to start an expac at the same time. Right now we have him running around checking if he got all of the hunt-board quests from each expansion.

Where is he in the quests? I don't think the quest shows up until after you're introduced to the inn.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what's the non-pld main tank now that they've acknowledged the Mt/ot split? drk?

I thought they've been saying the opposite in live letters and such? There are no designated MT/OTs.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

MechaX posted:

I feel really bad for Healers this expansion

But man, if you're a DPS or a Tank, you are eatin tonight

Yeah, for all the complaints I have about SCH there's about 4 or 5 classes I want to try immediately, so I'll live.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm mourning Scholar but White Mage looks pretty sick this expansion so maybe I'll level that when it's healing time.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I believe the intention now is that every tank has the tools for either role now. They acknowledged that it's a thing and tried to make tanks more flexible.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Where is he in the quests? I don't think the quest shows up until after you're introduced to the inn.

Yeah we're all in the same place, questline-wise

e: he just needed the previous ones, confirmed. It showed up once he went back and got them all.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

I thought they've been saying the opposite in live letters and such? There are no designated MT/OTs.

maybe i had a bad translation but i thought in one of the fanfests they said now that they had 4 tanks they would design around the inevitable ot/mt split

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
SCH is the class I'm doing the MSQ on, and I'll see how it feels in 80 content (if nothing else, it's going to be amazingly good at soloing even compared to SB SCH), but I'll be leveling DNC afterwards just in case.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

maybe i had a bad translation but i thought in one of the fanfests they said now that they had 4 tanks they would design around the inevitable ot/mt split

In the live letter a month ago, it was mentioned that they considered that path and instead decided on evening out the gaps between toolkits so everyone had something to do in either position

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A designated off tank class would be awful. Who wants to play second fiddle out of anything but necessity?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nessin posted:

Is there a way to use crossbar style hotbars with a keyboard setup? I'd like to configure my UI so it's the same whether I'm using a keyboard or controller, but can't find any option to use the crossbar setup without a controller.

on character settings somewhere there's a toggle to switch between the two

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ryanbomber posted:

Yeah, for all the complaints I have about SCH there's about 4 or 5 classes I want to try immediately, so I'll live.

There's even a few that I want to, but they're all DPS so I'd be waiting a few weeks before I could do a dungeon. And they're all ultimately gambles; I don't actually know if I'd like the new Mechanist or Dancer, I just think I possibly might, and it'd take hours of playing before I found out for sure.

Meanwhile I knew I liked Scholar, and I know I don't now. So I went from one job I liked and one maybe (I hadn't gotten AST to a point where I could genuinely say I'd 'played it' yet) to no jobs I like and three or four maybes.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SettingSun posted:

A designated off tank class would be awful. Who wants to play second fiddle out of anything but necessity?

pre-shadowbringers, the ot would enjoy slightly more damage because it didn't have to generate initial threat (in practice, all that would happen is war would pull because of equilibrium aggro). now in shb there's no damage loss for tank stance and no potency- inefficient enmity combos, so it really doesn't matter anymore.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

SettingSun posted:

Off-tank was literally the dream position because you were just a dps with a tank queue time.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers: Just go take a shower, stinky!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Haha I looked at the Gunbreaker quest list and the level 80 quest is Gunblades of the Patriots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm considering shelving War main for gunbreaker if only for the fact that I won't have to deal with the inevitable Warrior "look at how angry I am as a giant purple man in a leopard print speedo" class quests. Honestly the play style looks similar enough that it should be a pretty painless transition. Doubly so the fact that I sat out of the last expansion and my Warrior is sitting at 60 anyway.