Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I don't know how "back" I am, but I appreciate it.

Anyway, Bernie didn't do gangbusters but he did fine enough, obviously the media narrative takeaway is Biden failing due to Kamala knifing him hard, which I think works out great for Bernie if Kamala ends up stealing a good chunk of Biden's support.

It's still June of 2019 and we have several more months and debates to go. Strap in, folks.

I missed the weed echidna AV.

I think Bernie now needs to convince people that everyone else has merely adopted leftism, but he was born in it, molded by it. He didn't see capitalism until he was already a man, but by that point it was nothing to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Punk da Bundo posted:

Funny how the “joke “ candidates are the only ones saying anything worth listening to . Marianne the ONLY one calling out American imperialism in South America , while the others stood silent .
If you're talking about the debate solely (where time allotment is an issue) then sure. Bernie has talked about Lula in Brazil plenty outside of the debate and is the only one to do so thus far.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TrixR4kids posted:

If you're talking about the debate solely (where time allotment is an issue) then sure. Bernie has talked about Lula in Brazil plenty outside of the debate and is the only one to do so thus far.

Bernie is immune, he is Good.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I might have missed something, what's "lanyard" about?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/mollyhc/status/1144615824017281026

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

OB_Juan posted:

The various staffers, interns, and reporters that hang around politicians. They wear their passes on a lanyard.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

OB_Juan posted:

consultants, pundits, and washington insiders who wear lanyards and get paid six figures to be wrong about everything

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
I'll say that this board might be underestimating Booker and Castro. They're definitely not getting the nomination but they could definitely end up a tier above about 10 no name candidates as this goes on. If Beto and Klobuchar keep falling out, Booker and Castro could probably be a solid #6 and #7. they did pretty alright during the debate I think, especially Castro. I would have lumped in Gillibrand with them too but she's doing way worse than I expected and her performance last night was pretty bad.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Awful CompSloth posted:

I'll say that this bored might be underestimating Booker and Castro. They're definitely not getting the nomination but they could definitely end up a tier above about 10 no name candidates as this goes on. If Beto and Klobuchar keep falling out, Booker and Castro could probably be a solid #6 and #7. they did pretty alright during the debate I think, especially Castro. I would have lumped in Gillibrand with them too but she's doing way worse than I expected and her performance last night was pretty bad.

booker and castro (aged 50, 44 long shelf life) are probably ACTUALLY running for 24/28

in this cycle though harris is probably too strong for them to have a chance

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Skippy McPants posted:

Oof, wow. I mean, accurate but drat that's dark.

But really, Rick Perry's "oops!" moment in 2012 is probably as bad, or maybe even worse than, last night. IIRC he had a lot of momentum as the favored "non-Romney" going into that debate and he sank like a stone immediately.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Typo posted:

booker and castro (aged 50, 44 long shelf life) are probably ACTUALLY running for 24/28

in this cycle though harris is probably too strong for them to have a chance

castro has been running for the N+4/8 cycle for the last decade and a half. it's part of what made his shivving beto so funny: "gently caress off, kid, I've been running this grift since you were still going by Bobby."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, Williamson is likable because her kooky perspective is genuinely more serious than what passes for a Very Serious Electable Candidate Who Gets Things Done in the minds of affluent liberals.

I thought "Republicans for Voldemort" stickers were funny 15 years ago, but lib wonks are bordering on making Harry Potterism an actual heuristic. It's insane, and the cloud of smug self-congratulation surrounding it doesn't make it any more palatable.

:ironicat:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, Williamson is likable because her kooky perspective is genuinely more serious than what passes for a Very Serious Electable Candidate Who Gets Things Done in the minds of affluent liberals.

I thought "Republicans for Voldemort" stickers were funny 15 years ago, but lib wonks are bordering on making Harry Potterism an actual heuristic. It's insane, and the cloud of smug self-congratulation surrounding it doesn't make it any more palatable.

:smug:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

It's a very weird feeling to me to consider the debates where we have to listen to hot takes about whats wrong and right in what is said from literally everyone who has no business telling the left what to think.

Like I know it drives pundits and the president loving nuts that theyre not the center of attention, but why the hell should anyone ask the opposition what they think about our canidates?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This guy has never met a camera he didn’t like

Between this and his total disaster of a town meeting after the SBPD shot that one guy you can really see what kind of person Mayor Butt really is

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pretty much every single comment on NPRs Facebook article about Harris winning the debate is about how Buttigieg was the real winner because he didn't raise his voice and showed composure.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

pretty much every single comment on NPRs Facebook article about Harris winning the debate is about how Buttigieg was the real winner because he didn't raise his voice and showed composure.

Folks loving love a professional white man.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

nice

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

kidkissinger posted:

Anger and passion aren't appropriate qualities for the job of being the midwife to right wing authoritarianism

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/1144626968941465606

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Now that it’s been revealed Biden is a paper tiger, I am extremely worried that Harris is going to lie and attack her way to the nomination. What’s a good angle of attack against her?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DLC Inc posted:

feels like a lot of people who would have voted Clinton over Sanders in 2016 are attaching the yas kween label to cops like Gillibrand and Harris. Feels bad that people are making GBS threads on Sanders in favor of Harris. It's good that Biden got turbofucked but it's looking like either Trump wins again narrowly or we go into a poo poo-tier status quo again. The only major difference will be a much better House of Reps who can hopefully train up to be in the Senate/head office later on. Part of me seriously doubts how we can make the country better when truly so many morons inhabit middle america and don't give a poo poo that their farms are hosed or that a hospital will bankrupt them.

The memification of that Williamson lady is loving moronic though. I don't care if she roomed with a lady from Twin Peaks jesus christ I just want universal healthcare/living wages/better ecological practice.

i'm no longer much of a gillibooster (her early funding-related hijinks are indicative of either an ongoing willingness to sell out for a good enough price, which is bad, or a genuine like and trust for soulless corporate monsters she personally knows, which might be worse) but since loving when is she a cop

her worst not-house-of-representatives job was shielding the tobacco industry from the cops

i guess if you're really mad about her being a government lawyer for Housing and Urban Development

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Joe Biden thinks his voters are such loving morons that he tried to take credit for getting McConnell to agree to the fiscal cliff deal that raised taxes 600M instead of just doing nothing and letting ALL the bush tax cuts expire....

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

Now that it’s been revealed Biden is a paper tiger, I am extremely worried that Harris is going to lie and attack her way to the nomination. What’s a good angle of attack against her?

It's tough. It ought to be her naked opportunism and her awful history on criminal justice, but she hasn't spent enough time in the public eye for the former to be a real weakness and too many people still fall for the "tough on crime" line for the latter to sink her.

If she plays smart, which she will, it'll be hard to find an exposed flank. More likely you have to beat her by presenting a better option, which is its own challenge since she is clearly a capable public speaker.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RuanGacho posted:

It's a very weird feeling to me to consider the debates where we have to listen to hot takes about whats wrong and right in what is said from literally everyone who has no business telling the left what to think.

I won’t bother linking it because a) paywall and b) stupid, but blue blood Republican columnist David Brooks’ column in the NYT today is titled “Dems, Don’t Drive Me Away”. The loving Never Trump Republicans think they’re the base of the Democratic Party these days.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

"said she needed to be able to keep pot-smokers in prison because the State of California needed the slave labor."

the full story is slightly more complex but involves her deploying the defense "how can I be expected to know what my people are doing about the subhuman scum that are my charge," which is how you say Not A Good Look r/n

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Delthalaz posted:

Her flip-flopping on health care is a good start.

The prosecutor background is also a soft spot.

She seems very good at debate prep, though, so whoever goes after her needs to be prepared though lol.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Skippy McPants posted:

It's tough. It ought to be her naked opportunism and her awful history on criminal justice, but she hasn't spent enough time in the public eye for the former to be a real weakness and too many people still fall for the "tough on crime" line for the latter to sink her.

If she plays smart, which seems likely, it'll be hard to find an exposed flank. More likely you have to beat her by presenting a better option, which is its own challenge since she is clearly a capable public speaker.

The one thing that could be an issue is that maybe people don't like her that much when she's actually giving a speech to an audience, campaigning on the ground, etc. That's what Bernie excels at, but isn't as good as debates.

I'm just wondering which States she needs to win though. The media is definitely downplaying Iowa and NH, and hyping up South Carolina. I feel like she'd do pretty badly in Iowa and NH, Nevada is a wildcard, but then hopefully she doesn't do as well as she's supposed to in South Carolina. Hopefully maybe Booker and Biden and her all split the black vote. Then she has to win California, if she does she could win but hopefully she doesn't, idk.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

B B posted:

Her flip-flopping on health care is a good start.

She seems very good at debate prep, though, so whoever goes after her needs to be prepared though lol.

Unfortunately Bernie and Warren don’t want to go too negative. Maybe Booker can fall on his sword and go after her

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Remember when kamala’s dad called her out for being a shitheel? Good times

There’s plenty to attack kamala on. Her lovely record, her being deceptive during this very primary (m4a, aipac,etc)

If you care to look it’s p obvious she’s an opportunistic careerist that does whatever she thinks is necessary to become more powerful, whether it’s right or wrong

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think in terms of the horse race, the clear winners were Castro and Harris, two campaigns that had been largely ignored and will probably absorb some of the fickle "whoever is in the news right now" support that has at times favored Beto, Buttigieg and Warren.

Long term, I think the evidence is clear that the real winner of the last four years is Bernie. We have just had two nights where the vast majority of the policy conversation is over whether people support Bernie's policies or not.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lycus posted:

Looks like the biggest disconnect between goon reaction and outsider reaction to the debates is Booty Judge.

My "parents' reaction" report is the following (they're probably what I'd consider left-leaning liberals, though obviously also boomers:
- Dad responded well to Buttigieg (lol) and mom responded well to Gillibrand and one of the random white men
- Didn't like Sanders much
- Responded well to Warren (this didn't surprise me - my guess is they'll end up wanting to vote for her*, which I'll do my best to prevent)
- Was a bit surprised neither responded positively to Harris, since I felt like she gave one of the better showings from the perspective of someone with nothing but the debate itself to go by

* Regarding this, my parents (and likely a lot of older people) are under the bizarre misconception that Sanders is unelectable and (this is the weird part) that Warren is very electable. I tried to explain how bizarre that is, given that both Sanders and Biden are the only ones with any reason to perceive as "electable."

Also, most older people in general, even if well-intentioned, just seem to fundamentally not "get it." It's like they have some sort of syndrome that makes them incapable of considering the possibility of real change. Part of it is that "legacy media" still has almost 100% control over the opinions of older Americans.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 28, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Solvent posted:

Hello.
I’m going to come with a long range snipe because I can’t sleep.
I can’t sleep, I haven’t posted in months, and I want this to be something I can quote without having to toxx for it.
Something Awful is a drat fine place full of brilliant people who have some serious opinions (problems).
Reading Goon takes on the debates are waaaaaay better than watching them.
Here are some of my opinions, ripe for first (second) page hatred.

Warren is the democratic nominee, I didn’t watch the debates, I’m not remotely interested in them.
I knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.
She knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.

Joe Biden didn’t want to run at all, he’s doing this to call more attention to the democrats who are. To say he’s committing political suicide is to say “who is that guy again? oh yeah, barry’s vp”.
I think he wanted to step out of the way a couple years ago, but people, I don’t know who, butt people think he should have ran.

Check my probes, I was the literal first person in C-SPAM to say Bernie would have won after Colbert looked like he was going to cry on election night.
That being said: “I am not now and have never been a member of the communist party or otherwise affiliated with it.”
After minimal :words: in the DSA thread, I’ve declared this rabid communist bullshit to be not funny anymore.
You loving goons. God drat. Go talk to some people outside of your bubble. It’ll do them and you some good if you try.
I dunno, hear them out and not try to demonize them or convince them of anything maybe.
Try to find things you agree with (those) people about, make any sort of common ground.
Bernie has made his point, and I salute his unbelievable integrity. The man is a saint even if you don’t agree with him.
If I’m incorrect about Liz and he is nominated, of course I’d vote for him. I love the man.
When I say Bernie is unbelievable, I say “hey there’s a politician in Washington who’s had the same message for longer than I’ve been alive!” (I’m one of the oldest of my generation) I’ve said this before too, wouldn’t it be fair to ask who the hell that person who’s been in politics so long, and has stayed on message so consistently could possibly could be if you’d never heard of the man?

Good luck to people with a horse in this race, I’m not so sure that the orange crybaby will be voted out at all.

The world is a complicated place, and it looks more interesting (frightening) all the time. I’m tired of people trying to make me feel stupid and bad because a plastic shopping bag doesn’t break and drop all my food on the ground. How come I can’t shop at the co-op for oatmeal that isn’t full of roundup, without getting the side eye like I came to church wearing a yarmulke? I’m sorry I like steak and beer, as well as kombucha and insoluble fiber.

Maybe the bad guy wrestler will make me rich too somehow, and prevent the utter dissolution of the white race (my team).
Maybe it’s time I just let go of trying to care about people who just aren’t like me, and instead focus on my own family.

I’ve talked to too many people, young and old, without interjecting my own opinion for at least five loving minutes to have faith in the system right now, and I’ve read a lot of yours. I’m so very, very sorry (tired) that this post is (mostly) in earnest.
The internet really did make us all stupid.

Apologies, I’m going back to my hiatus for at least another month.
I also need to buy a new av.
Not like anybody noticed or cared.
I’ll be reading even if not posting, so, thank you if you took the time to read my spectacularly bad post.

I'll take four fried chickens and a coke

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, "electability" is a self-fulfilling prophecy cooked up by the media. How else do you explain the most popular candidates who support the most popular policies being deemed "unelectable" by all of the Very Serious People?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

B B posted:

I'm not convinced it is. It should be, and for us here is sure is, but a big chunk of Dems are still pretty chill with cops.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i wanna shoot all electability arguments into the sun

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Finally got caught up on all the debates.

Night one I thought Gabbard came out as the winner - not because she did the best, just because she exceeded expectations in a debate where almost no one seemed to matter and generally handled herself well in her take down of whoever that guy was she took down. I don't like her personally, but I still think she did well. Castro and Warren were also winners in that they handled themselves well and looked like serious candidates. Beto looked like a huge doofus and I hope he drops out after that terrible show. I don't remember any of the other candidates.

Night two: Disappointed in Bernie, just seemed to lose focus a lot. Didn't really answer some questions I wanted answers to. I don't think his style fits these short soundbite focused things, he likes his stump speech and he likes putting together a longer argument. Still my first choice candidate, just want him to perform better. Harris did well being noticeable, and seemed to be looking for an opportunity to knife Biden. Surprised at how down she seemed to be for Bernie stuff, this is the first time I saw her speak and know nothing really about her. Biden himself looked like a huge doofus, but in a way that probably appealed to stupid boomers nostalgic for Obama. I thought the feel good woman on the left and the "i am also a woman, and running" woman near Harris did poorly.

Mayor Pete gave the only good answer to the "what would you do first, in case you only do one thing" question - political reform to guarantee we aren't limited to doing only one thing, because we need to do more. LOL at everyone defending private insurance though. Bernie touched upon but failed to actually explain why that's bad/unworkable, if I didn't know it already I wouldn't have understood what he was trying to say, so again, disappointed in him. I really liked the one guy for the zinger against Biden for passing the torch, I have no idea who he is, but I'd love a debate between him, Harris and Biden where he and Harris just take turns punching Biden until he gives up.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm not convinced it is. It should be, and for us here is sure is, but a big chunk of Dems are still pretty chill with cops.

That's fair, and I think only some of the candidates are going to be able to attack her on it effectively. Bernie needs to stay away from that line of attack for the same reason Biden does.

Kamala is gonna be formidable if she sees her polling numbers rise from her performance last night.

Saying that as someone who is basically a Bernie-or-buster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, "electability" is a self-fulfilling prophecy cooked up by the media. How else do you explain the most popular candidates who support the most popular policies being deemed "unelectable" by all of the Very Serious People?

That's not really a conspiracy, it's just an undeniable fact. Like I mentioned in my previous post, Sanders and Biden are the only candidates with both significant support and support across a wide set of demographics (Warren fails the second condition).

I think that, on a personal level, peoples' opinions about electability are either driven by the media, or are driven by whether they personally find someone likeable (and then they assume that other Americans will feel the same). The one saving grace in this regard about Sanders is that, while his type of speaking and performance in the debate doesn't play well with your average upper-middle class educated white person, it apparently does well with many normal, working-class people. Though unfortunately working class people are heavily underrepresented in the primary.