Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I, Butthole posted:

:emptyquote::emptyquote:

The Thin Red Line too

I should try that one, I really liked The Thin Blue Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Gripweed posted:

Has Criterion done any good war movies?

Overlord

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I, Butthole posted:

:emptyquote::emptyquote:

The Thin Red Line too

Gripweed posted:

I should try that one, I really liked The Thin Blue Line.

:pseudo: Actually, The Thin White Line is the best of the three colors trilogy.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Has Criterion done any good war movies?

Doctor Strangelove

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Had to use a shipping forwarder to get Barnes and Noble to ship anything to Australia this time, but ended up with:

Bergman's Cinema
Police Story
Blue Velvet

If my bank account recovers after that, I might grab Do The Right Thing at the tail end of the sale.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Shame will make you feel sick, which is the only thing a war movie should do.

Which is why The Thin Red Line isn't a war movie.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Origami Dali posted:

:pseudo: Actually, The Thin White Line is the best of the three colors trilogy.
Idk about "best" but it is the funniest.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Which is why The Thin Red Line isn't a war movie.

Exactly! It’s a romantic comedy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
just picked Police Story and the Bergman box set, can't wait to dig in to these

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I gotta get the Police Story set during this sale. I will make it my mission to get my hands on that thing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I gotta get the Police Story set during this sale. I will make it my mission to get my hands on that thing.

the B&N I went to had a lot of copies of it on the shelf, you should be able to find it easily

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Shame will make you feel sick, which is the only thing a war movie should do.

Same vein, 'Come and See'.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Last sale I blind bought Carnival of Souls, The Night of the Hunter and The Vanishing. They were all pretty awesome, I especially loved Carnival of Souls.

I would love some recommends based on any of the previous titles.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CRAYON posted:

Last sale I blind bought Carnival of Souls, The Night of the Hunter and The Vanishing. They were all pretty awesome, I especially loved Carnival of Souls.

Eyes Without a Face, Kuroneko, Kwaidan. is Diabolique still in print?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

CRAYON posted:

The Innocents, Night of the Living Dead, Blood Simple, Repulsion

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Eyes Without a Face, Kuroneko, Kwaidan. is Diabolique still in print?

Haven't seen any of these and they all sound wonderful.

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Innocents, Night of the Living Dead, Blood Simple, Repulsion

Haven't seen The Innocents and it looks to be right up my alley.

For now I think I'll put The Innocents and Kuroneko in my cart, but I'll probably waffle for awhile so if anyone else has recommendations I'm all ears.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Half Price Books is doing one of their coupon weeks in July, so I'll wait for that to try something new. My Barnes and Noble picks are gonna be all guaranteed winners. I got Pan's Labyrinth

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CRAYON posted:

Don’t Look Now, Repulsion, you’ve already gotten a lot of other good suggestions

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Any non-American goons getting hit with this error? "This page is unavailable due to either geographic restrictions or other restrictions in place at this time. NOTE: other restrictions can be a result of our security platform detecting potential malicious activity. Please try again later as the restrictions may be lifted, or contact your service provider if the issue persists."

e: I can at least browse if I view the B&N website through a private window. I get as far as checkout and then I can't actually buy anything because it says the items won't ship to me. Bummer.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 28, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dropped by. The place had been picked through, and some dude in his 50s was having a lite tantrum and making the sales clerk search through the database for each item on his paper list of like 50 titles. Then a clerk came from the back room with a cart of new blus and I snagged Before Trilogy, Blue Velvet, and Police Story right under the complaining dude's nose and peaced the gently caress out. :byewhore:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Exactly! It’s a romantic comedy.

:biglips: Dear Jack...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm glad the sale window runs so long. I'll grab Police Story and maybe War and Peace next paycheck. My girlfriend bought me A Face in the Crowd on my birthday last month and I couldn't help but buy Blue Velvet at non-sale price despite knowing I wouldn't have time to watch it between then and the sale.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Looking forward to having Lost Highway and Wild at Heart SOMEDAY on criterion to sit next to MD, BV, Eraserhead, and Fire Walk With Me :pray:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Picking up Othello and Immortal Story to complete Criterion's Welles blu-ray selection.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
Went to go pick up Barry Lyndon but they didn’t have a copy so I grabbed Notorious and Magnificent Ambersons instead. Haven’t seen either one before so pretty excited to finally check em out.

I’m tempted to grab Mouchette but I’m hoping for a blu upgrade sometime which I know will happen as soon as I cave and buy the dvd.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

FalsePriest posted:

Went to go pick up Barry Lyndon but they didn’t have a copy so I grabbed Notorious and Magnificent Ambersons instead. Haven’t seen either one before so pretty excited to finally check em out.

I’m tempted to grab Mouchette but I’m hoping for a blu upgrade sometime which I know will happen as soon as I cave and buy the dvd.

Notorious and Ambersons are both stone cold classics.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Looking forward to having Lost Highway and Wild at Heart SOMEDAY on criterion to sit next to MD, BV, Eraserhead, and Fire Walk With Me :pray:

Waiting for The Straight Story personally

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

UnknownMercenary posted:

Any non-American goons getting hit with this error? "This page is unavailable due to either geographic restrictions or other restrictions in place at this time. NOTE: other restrictions can be a result of our security platform detecting potential malicious activity. Please try again later as the restrictions may be lifted, or contact your service provider if the issue persists."

e: I can at least browse if I view the B&N website through a private window. I get as far as checkout and then I can't actually buy anything because it says the items won't ship to me. Bummer.

If you're in Australia, they're doing the same thing as Amazon US did where they're refusing to charge GST on behalf of the government by just not shipping to Australia at all. I had to use Shopmate to forward stuff over.

This also means I had to cancel the Bergman boxset, because they charge forwarding by weight and it would have cost approximately $90 extra to ship just that one alone. Switched it out for the Pierre Etaix set and Fire Walk With Me instead.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Visiting my mother for the weekend. Since I'm waiting for an adapter for my own TV to play laserdiscs, I brought my new player over to use on her TV. Was just going to compare a few minutes each of The Magnificent Ambersons on laserdisc vs. Blu-ray, but ended up watching the entire Blu-ray. I was a bit cold on it before, but it really clicked with me this time. Will probably rewatch soon with one of the commentaries.

I absolutely adore Welles and he's probably my all-time favorite director (F for Fake is my personal favorite film), but I have to say that every rewatch of his films is rewarding as heck. There's a scene with Eugene (Joseph Cotten) talking about the future of the world with the automobile and it's eerily prescient. And a lot of people say Tim Holt isn't good in this, but I think he's brilliant and really comes off as the spoiled brat he is.

Holy poo poo this shot:

Also watched all the laserdisc supplemental stuff, which has a brief Welles interview that I don't think made it to the Blu-ray. It has the complete storyboards, radio show, script excerpts of deleted scenes, and a clip from the silent version.

I, Butthole posted:

If you're in Australia, they're doing the same thing as Amazon US did where they're refusing to charge GST on behalf of the government by just not shipping to Australia at all. I had to use Shopmate to forward stuff over.

This also means I had to cancel the Bergman boxset, because they charge forwarding by weight and it would have cost approximately $90 extra to ship just that one alone. Switched it out for the Pierre Etaix set and Fire Walk With Me instead.

Really, anyone who owns the Tati set should get the Etaix one. The Suitor and Le Grand Amour are two of my all-time favorite comedies. Yoyo is great, too. Where The Suitor is Etaix doing a perfect Keaton, Yoyo is him doing Chaplin and Fellini. And to an extent Le Grand Amour feels a lot like a Godard or Bunuel film. I've mentioned this set a lot, but it really is one of the hidden gems of the label.

Also, everyone should check out King of Jazz since it's going to be the only time we get a full 4K-restored 2-color Technicolor early sound feature on Blu-ray.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 29, 2019

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Thoughts on Saraband? I found it largely boring and ugly. I wouldn’t say I didn’t like it, but it felt like a disappointment immediately following Scenes From a Marriage

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
My Amazon order of Detour from the $17 price point is expected to ship out at the end of July too, so that's nice. Should arrive around the same time as Do the Right Thing when I grab that from the BN sale.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alec Eiffel posted:

Waiting for The Straight Story personally

this seems more likely since Kino just did Lost Highway and Shout Factory just did Wild At Heart

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there usually a coupon code or something? I'm waiting to see if there's going to be something come the first but I vaguely remember there being a 10 percent off code or something occasionally coinciding with these sales.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there usually a coupon code or something? I'm waiting to see if there's going to be something come the first but I vaguely remember there being a 10 percent off code or something occasionally coinciding with these sales.

A couple years back they stopped letting you stack coupons with the Criterion sale

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
you do still get the 10% off for being a member, though. $135 for the Bergman set is crazy.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Snagged Blue Velvet, House, Stalker, and the Before Trilogy. Hell yeah.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Unmature posted:

Thoughts on Saraband? I found it largely boring and ugly. I wouldn’t say I didn’t like it, but it felt like a disappointment immediately following Scenes From a Marriage

Saraband is one of my favorite Bergman films (and I’ve seen all but three of his theatrical releases). It was more riveting for me than Scenes from a Marriage, in part because it widens its scope to several different relationships, and it has a controlling metaphor in the Saraband itself that feels very layered. But I recognize that my Bergman tastes are slightly idiosyncratic.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I, Butthole posted:

Canadian, actually. Whatever was breaking it before is gone now. Picked up Blue Velvet, Police Story 1 & 2, Stalker and a preorder of Do the Right Thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat, Nashville really juggles like a hundred plot threads at once, I feel like I need to watch it two or three more times to connect them all.

The more Altman I see, the more I realize that some of the P.T. Anderson films I love are like Altman-lite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Criterion Do the Right Thing transfer looks amazing and has the right colors