Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There was a good 10 seconds of silence on the line from both ends when it just worked first try. My only concern is that I just accidentally set the bar way too high because there's no way I can live up to that miracle.

You know what? I believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ChubbyThePhat posted:

For real. I don't think I have ever had code work the first time.

Big :same:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I wrote a three line powershell script with a for-each loop that worked perfectly the first time. I refuse to believe anything more complicated than that runs on the first shot without errors.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Antioch posted:

I wrote a three line powershell script with a for-each loop that worked perfectly the first time. I refuse to believe anything more complicated than that runs on the first shot without errors.

Yeah, likewise. I've had some piddly little tiny automation scripts work right the first time, but anything beyond that is always a missed brace or semicolon or something somewhere.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Just got pulled into a room earlier today by the CFO, who is taking charge of Engineering as we are losing our VP of Engineering. I was terrified I was about to get a talking to about some recent somewhat abrasive behavior of mine.

I got a 25% raise.

I am now celebrating with bourbon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

buttchugging adderall posted:

Just got pulled into a room earlier today by the CFO, who is taking charge of Engineering as we are losing our VP of Engineering. I was terrified I was about to get a talking to about some recent somewhat abrasive behavior of mine.

I got a 25% raise.

I am now celebrating with bourbon.

P. Sure that abrasive behavior just got you a promotion. VPs love that poo poo.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

The Iron Rose posted:

P. Sure that abrasive behavior just got you a promotion. VPs love that poo poo.

I wasn't even that abrasive, I just told a guy (who normally is very high performing and quite smart) that no, no he really shouldn't do something he really wanted to do. Which I had to do quite a bit, because he was being quite stubborn about it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I was probably pretty abrasive toward the rear end in a top hat leaving today. I sincerely hope that contributed to his choice so I can take at least some credit for driving off that parasite.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I refuse to believe it is possible for code to compile correctly first time without so much as a missed semicolon or unclosed bracket :colbert:.

Once in college I was working on an assignment writing a string reversal in assembly. I was doing the assignment during my work study when I didn't have access to a computer, so I wrote it out on a piece of paper. Later that night I typed it in and wouldn't you know, it worked right the first time.

I knew from that moment on, everything else was going to be downhill.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
I worked in Korea for a few years and the intraoffice gossip culture there is insane, out of control. I was mostly safe as a westerner but I definitely saw people (mostly our Korean staff) let go for spurious reasons or hearsay

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MF_James posted:

I always feel bad for people that are around me when I'm in the office and on the phone; I am the loudest person on the phone and 100% am aware of it but if I lower my voice everyone complains they can't hear/understand me so wtf am I supposed to do?

Obviously I don't know your voice etc., but maybe it can help doing some vocal training. Practice modifying your voice intentionally, e.g. raise/lower pitch, more or less nasal, being aware of your tongue and how it affects the sound and clarity, controlling your speed, practice distinct pronunciation of phonemes that can sound similar over a phone, stay aware of adjacent sounds that may muddle words together and add pauses to keep them distinct.
The office environment, microphone, and voice codec used for the phone can obviously also affect what will be the most efficient way to improve your clarity, but I'd like to think there are probably methods other than being loud that can help.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

a Loving Dog posted:

I worked in Korea for a few years and the intraoffice gossip culture there is insane, out of control. I was mostly safe as a westerner but I definitely saw people (mostly our Korean staff) let go for spurious reasons or hearsay
It’s part of culture in Korea to be nosy with other people’s business. Honestly, when the old lady next door asks you personal stuff like ‘which uni did you go to? Which company do you work for? Are you seeing anyone? When are you marrying?’ and so on, you just pull a smiling face saying ‘no idea’, then they will gossip that I am impolite :v:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Way not pissing me off:

About 18 months ago we found out that our marketing team was using google smartsheets for "reasons". I had a meeting with them, explained this wasn't supported and IT would have no involvement in it. Fast forward to last week, they fired the person in charge of it without notice and walked her out of the building. She changed the password on it.

They opened a ticket today asking for help. I responded: "Per our previous discussion, this is not an IT owned or protected resource, we cannot and will not help with this."

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

DigitalMocking posted:

Way not pissing me off:

About 18 months ago we found out that our marketing team was using google smartsheets for "reasons". I had a meeting with them, explained this wasn't supported and IT would have no involvement in it. Fast forward to last week, they fired the person in charge of it without notice and walked her out of the building. She changed the password on it.

They opened a ticket today asking for help. I responded: "Per our previous discussion, this is not an IT owned or protected resource, we cannot and will not help with this."

Hope u did this irl after hitting enter, cuz I fukin would

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DigitalMocking posted:

Way not pissing me off:

I bet it wasn't even a corporate google account.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Can you explain a bit more because I have a feeling I know what you're talking about but never in my life have I encountered anyone using "Google smart sheets"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Can you explain a bit more because I have a feeling I know what you're talking about but never in my life have I encountered anyone using "Google smart sheets"

Its googles version of excel. You can create a document with a free google account, share it with your colleges, and then change the password on the document when you get fired and there is nothing your company can do about it. If you let your employees use free google accounts for things instead of corporate ones, there is no recourse when you leave.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sickening posted:

Its googles version of excel. You can create a document with a free google account, share it with your colleges, and then change the password on the document when you get fired and there is nothing your company can do about it.

Except that's just Google Sheets. Google suggests that smartsheet is some kind of product that works on top of GSuite?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Unsurprising development: I'm moving on to the last round of interviews with that place with the miracle code run.

Definitely not pissing my off today: Waking up and trudging to my desk only to remember I don't have to deal with the two assholes anymore. Felt great to enjoy that revelation all over again.

Pissing me off, though: I woke up and I'm sick :saddowns:

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

nielsm posted:

Obviously I don't know your voice etc., but maybe it can help doing some vocal training. Practice modifying your voice intentionally, e.g. raise/lower pitch, more or less nasal, being aware of your tongue and how it affects the sound and clarity, controlling your speed, practice distinct pronunciation of phonemes that can sound similar over a phone, stay aware of adjacent sounds that may muddle words together and add pauses to keep them distinct.
The office environment, microphone, and voice codec used for the phone can obviously also affect what will be the most efficient way to improve your clarity, but I'd like to think there are probably methods other than being loud that can help.

We had a problem with our conference bridges where people would have to talk louder/yell or they'd have voice clipping. We'd just recently merged so half the company was on one bridge system and half was on the other. Once I heard the issue I talked to the guy that managed it, found that he had silence suppression set too aggressively and turned it down. It's been great since. So to tack on, could be lovely VoIP settings too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anybody who claims they can do everything they need to solely in the web apps offered by G Suite is a liar

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thanks Ants posted:

Anybody who claims they can do everything they need to solely in the web apps offered by G Suite is a liar

Nonsense.

Many people simply don't do anything of worth in the workplace. :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Some of us just don't have complicated needs from an office suite. The only thing I fire up Libreoffice for is working with CSV files, which sucks in its own way in LO or MS Office but is particularly annoying in GSuite. If I didn't have to work with them regularly I'd never use a desktop suite.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

G suite is an surprising example of google app abandoning despite being a revenue source.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks Ants posted:

G Suite apps are all inferior copies of Office applications, and the fact that I cannot use the tab key to add a loving indent into my email in Gmail enrages me to an irrational degree.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Seriously, I've had plenty of execs who live in email and occasionally have to acknowledge that a spreadsheet exists.

In terms of usability & functionality, I've found it to be:

1. Excel
2. LibreOffice Calc
3. Colored pencils and graph paper
4. Google Sheets

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wallet posted:

Except that's just Google Sheets. Google suggests that smartsheet is some kind of product that works on top of GSuite?

SmartSheet is a GApps add-on for forms and Gantt charts. It's actually really useful in project management terms.

My particular GApps heresy is a belief that 80% of the workers at your average large corporation could get along just fine with GApps instead of MS Office. Your short-term productivity hit from having to learn a new thing will be more than made up for in collaboration, change tracking, and cloud storage. In return, you get about 80% of your Office licensing costs back.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bring back google wave you cowards

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mllaneza posted:

SmartSheet is a GApps add-on for forms and Gantt charts. It's actually really useful in project management terms.

My particular GApps heresy is a belief that 80% of the workers at your average large corporation could get along just fine with GApps instead of MS Office. Your short-term productivity hit from having to learn a new thing will be more than made up for in collaboration, change tracking, and cloud storage. In return, you get about 80% of your Office licensing costs back.

My university uses GApps as its primary collaboration tool, while also paying for Office licenses and Office365 CALs for every single student, staff, and faculty member. :unsmigghh:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Microsoft Teams is the spiritual successor to Google Wave.

mllaneza posted:

collaboration, change tracking, and cloud storage.

You get all of these things in O365 too.

Dropping your licensing costs is literally the only benefit gsuite has over O365

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 28, 2019

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Jeoh posted:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Fool posted:

Microsoft Teams is the spiritual successor to Google Wave.

It's a question I've been asking everyone I interview with: "You guys don't use Microsoft Teams, do you?"

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
After some of my last contracts and their complete lack of messaging capabilities, I've had to step it up to "Do you have some sort of messaging or collaboration application?"

e: Things not pissing me off: Getting a call from a previous employer that wants to bring me back as a contractor for a short term project to update some of their queries and reports during my time off from my regular job (regular 3 day weekends).

duffmensch fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 28, 2019

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

Way not pissing me off:

Gotta love shadow IT.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Could only deal with the disgusting office microwave for a month. Apparently it is not part of the janitorial staff duties to clean it, nor did anyone else in the office step up to the plate. Why do I always end up being the person with the lowest tolerance for grime on the team?

The fridge has year-old almond and soy milk, along with a tuna sandwich of undetermined age but with bread that is hard as a rock. Guess I'll attack that next week.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Could only deal with the disgusting office microwave for a month. Apparently it is not part of the janitorial staff duties to clean it, nor did anyone else in the office step up to the plate. Why do I always end up being the person with the lowest tolerance for grime on the team?

The fridge has year-old almond and soy milk, along with a tuna sandwich of undetermined age but with bread that is hard as a rock. Guess I'll attack that next week.

Don’t forget to send a high-priority all-users email about it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Weedle posted:

Don’t forget to send a high-priority all-users email about it.

I think I'm going to just deep-six all of it without telling anyone, because I'm sure some disgusting slob would get mad if they knew I threw out their expired-two-months-ago yogurt.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Gross.

I think the normal behavior is just a sign on the fridge that says "everything gets thrown out on Thursday at 5" or whatever. (and then ideally a facilities person who does the throwing out, but either way the CYA is helpful for deflecting mad idiots)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Google sheets is plain rear end and I say this as someone with a hatred for Excel that borders on the pathological.

If you've never encountered a brain genius that suggests you "work collaboratively" in a spreadsheet only to have someone accidentally change a cell value without realizing it and spending the next few hours chasing down the source of it, then I envy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Extremely pissing me off: rear end in a top hat just posted JUST KIDDING in the general channel.

Talking to a friend, he did have another job lined up for sure. There has to have been some 11th hour bullshit. If he was given a promotion and more money to stay, I'm loving done.