Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Boxturret posted:

but they wanted my passport and social insurance number and birth certificate...

back in 2017 i tried to buy $20 of BTC for fun and these weird exchanges kept asking for all the exact information you asked for. i was like hell no dawg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

i assume the only way to really get into the crypto space is by mining it when you have free power, but then again it just seems like a colossal waste of time

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i think there are some where you can give them permission to mess with your bank account directly

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The 0 bitcoins I've been hodling are down 30% in the last five days, but my losses are still 0. I'm a drat hedge investment genius.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Boxturret posted:

i think there are some where you can give them permission to mess with your bank account directly

I’ve also seen some where you walk down to your nearest Safeway and transfer cash via western union or whatever. its literally the same method that Indian phone scam artists use lol, and bitcoiners treat it like it’s normal business

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

There's also bitcoin ATMs where you can buy bitcoin for the low price of double-digit percent fees

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Nocoining still the best coining. Also rip :honked: and :sureboat:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Rocks posted:

I’ve also seen some where you walk down to your nearest Safeway and transfer cash via western union or whatever. its literally the same method that Indian phone scam artists use lol, and bitcoiners treat it like it’s normal business
bitcoins have NO CHARGEBACKS, so the seller needs either lots of supporting documentation or to be paid via some NO CHARGEBACK method. when hackers compromise debit/credit cards they usually try to cash out via buying bitcoin.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
https://twitter.com/coindesk/status/1144359356022034432?s=19

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

When are coiners going to learn that bitcoins are only worth $12,000 if they promise to never ask for $12,000 for their coins?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

KnifeWrench posted:

every step of the way, he's been shockingly consistent in his unrepentant self-centeredness. he wrote that drat journal to save time for the biographer. can you even imagine being so far up your own rear end

"life in prison" certainly does make the biography quicker to write

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

i think i get bingo if they say ICO somewhere

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:orb:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
intractable multi-generational conflict and mutual hatred leading to an endless cycle of violence? maybe powerful & mysterious Orbs have the answer

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oh it turns out all we needed to do for palestinians to accept the gaza settlements as legitimate rather than the hostile actions of an occupying ethno-state was just put them on the blockchain, mission accomplished.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

satoshi nobel peace prize when

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Pretty sure the recent Bitcoins spike is because if this https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/06/new-ransomware-infections-are-the-worst-drive-by-attacks-in-recent-memory/

As always the internet pogs are basically crime futures

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

oh it turns out all we needed to do for palestinians to accept the gaza settlements as legitimate rather than the hostile actions of an occupying ethno-state was just put them on the blockchain, mission accomplished.

well defined property rights, on the blockchain

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Can I buy any of these items with bitcoin?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boxturret posted:

satoshi nobel peace prize when

when froosty is released

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

EorayMel posted:

If you painted a giant "BITCOIN EXCHANGE" on your garage/roof how likely would it attract bitcoiners to your premises?

purposely trying to attract bitcoiners to your premises? uh no thanks, i'll stick to bugchasing

Rocks posted:

which exchanges let me buy bitcoin with itunes gift cards

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Can I buy any of these items with bitcoin?

Thought it was illegal to take the menus from the razor conference

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

norp posted:

Pretty sure the recent Bitcoins spike is because if this https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/06/new-ransomware-infections-are-the-worst-drive-by-attacks-in-recent-memory/

As always the internet pogs are basically crime futures

Also to add to this tether actually had like 24% of its money confiscated so each dollar of tether is worth like 76 cents, at an absolute maximum. Bitcoiners keep changing tether for bitcoins since it’s less likely to go poof overnight, or other altcoins, pushing the price up.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Drone_Fragger posted:

Also to add to this tether actually had like 24% of its money confiscated so each dollar of tether is worth like 76 cents, at an absolute maximum. Bitcoiners keep changing tether for bitcoins since it’s less likely to go poof overnight, or other altcoins, pushing the price up.

have you not heard of fractional reserve be-your-own-banking?

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Soricidus posted:

have you not heard of fractional reserve be-your-own-banking?

you've been waiting to post that one for awhile, haven't you

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

...! posted:

you've been waiting to post that one for awhile, haven't you

yes i have been, g. davy errol :tipshat:

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Can Americans control bitcoin's future (self.Bitcoin)
submitted an hour ago by jgarcya

My understanding is 4-8% of Americans invest in crypto.

4% of 300,000,000 Americans is 12 million.

If it is everyone of those 12 million goal to have at least one bitcoin... That's over 66% of all available bitcoin presently mined(17 million plus).

It's my goal to have one, but probably won't make it.

But we haven't even started a massive American interest.

If 10% of Americans want one bitcoin that's 30 million bitcoin...out of 21 million total(minus satashis million btc)....20 million total...minus lost or confiscated...who knows total.

Now if let's say 8% buy as much as they could that's 24,000,000 people wanting bitcoin.

Now if all the Americans hodl....the price skyrockets due to supply and demand...

Is this possible that America, assuming they wake up to bitcoin, and being allowed to legally invest, and one of the wealthiest countries able to do so...

Americans can guarantee BTC goes to the moon if they all buy as much as possible and hodl.

Or any group of wealthy people, country that can have legal access to btc...buy and hold.

Just thinking out loud.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
that guy's "understanding" is at least two orders of magnitude off

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's not a pyramid scheme we just need more people to buy in and it will make me rich

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012
he's so close, so close to realizing there aren't enough butts to make a functional global economy, and his conclusion is number go up

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
the weird fixation on having a "whole bitcoin" is baffling to me. why does that mean anything at all? even if people were interested in bitcoin, why would that imply they are interested in some arbitrary threshold of ownership?

oh right, because it's a novelty and not a real currency, so they treat it like a collector's item that demonstrates prestige

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
jgarcya[S] [score hidden] an hour ago

True but if they knew they could guarantee return on investment just buy holding some...they can control the market.

I didn't even mention the wealthy that have 1+ Bitcoin, 5 bitcoin, 100 bitcoin....

If I can imagine it, it is possible... Getting people to do it is another thing.

But what if Bill Gates, Michael Jordan, Warren Buffett, George Soros, elon musk, and Oprah got together and all bought....12/18/20 million bitcoin....and held

They can guarantee an insane return on investment.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bitcoin food for thoughts.... (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 30 minutes ago by Raverrevolution

Every day I'm thinking about bitcoin, what it means, and what'll do and I figured I'd share some random thoughts.

1)Bitcoin's price will inevitably keep going up forever until the entire world has adopted it. The reasoning behind this being absolute in my mind is this;

People hear about bitcoin because it's making headlines in the media

People then get curious and/or look into it, then make an exchange account

People invest into it

Then those people either day trade, buy more, sell, etc. due to whales making the price go up/down

In this time people look further into the technology, read more and more about it due to curiosity

Eventually in all the time they start understanding it all the price goes up due to a new wave of people + whales

Now the first set of people knowledgeable on it and having had experience buy into the FOMO and hold

This cycle keeps repeating over and over and over again because when we hit the crashes the people who invested who know how it works and FOMOed in won't want to take their money out at a loss so this set of money is basically anchored in for the long run. Thus new money keeps getting constantly piled on top ultimately driving the price higher and higher.

2)After the entire world has adopted bitcoin as a form of currency everything will be priced according to what it's worth to people in a dynamic way. Gone will be things that are overpriced just because.

The reasoning for this is because prices of every day items will be purely based on how much total supply of bitcoin there is against how much % of it of who owns it.

For example, say the entire world now pays in bitcoin. Say 1% of the population owns 90% of the supply. Wouldn't items be priced cheaper so the rest of the population could afford them and pretty much depreciate the value that 1% own? Prices to things will be stable, but dynamic at the same time.

3)Amazon will keep growing bigger and bigger as the years go by. Right now they're testing out Amazon Go stores. Not sure how the tech works, but you walk in, grab what you want, and leave the store and they somehow charge you what the items are worth.

In the future when bitcoin is adopted as the main source of payment stores will have to have dynamic pricing on items due to point #2. Amazon Go + Bitcoin + Dynamic pricing will make it so that you walk in, get what you want, walk out. Sats will be automatically taken from your wallet and pay for the items and they will be fairly priced due to how the entire system is engineered. Buying groceries will be a ridiculous seamless experience.

4)Bitcoin will solve the the US illegal immigrant open borders situation.

The reason is that when it is adopted as the world's currency it doesn't matter where on earth you are, everyone will be paid in the same currency the same way.

Every time someone comes to the US from Mexico and earns money off the books it fucks up our monetary system, because that money is not being accounted for or taxed. With bitcoin adopted illegal immigrants and normal people will be paid the same exact way. Our financial economies will essentially be melded together. Thus in the future who the hell will care whether or not someone comes here illegally.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This is so loving stupid I am sputtering in real life.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

gschmidl posted:

This is so loving stupid I am sputtering in real life.

hi, but we don’t normally do introduction posts on this forum

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

jgarcya[S] [score hidden] an hour ago

But what if Bill Gates, Michael Jordan, Warren Buffett, George Soros, elon musk, and Oprah got together and all bought....12/18/20 million bitcoin....and held

then there wouldn't be any in circulation? you would have already sold yours?

also why not capitalize elon musk? so used to seeing it as a twitter handle?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

amazon is developing a store where you walk in take what you want and payments all happen automatically

now what if we added bitcoin to itepaijrteatnlaek rpklae rklafgtnlpesej rfpkl rhklnhnsk;nheakrjnk;aljgn;klaejnhl;kaegtl;knedgtkjanhkfjbk

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Every day i;m thinkin about thos bitcoins

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

i love shitcoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Boxturret posted:

amazon is developing a store where you walk in take what you want and payments all happen automatically

now what if we added bitcoin to itepaijrteatnlaek rpklae rklafgtnlpesej rfpkl rhklnhnsk;nheakrjnk;aljgn;klaejnhl;kaegtl;knedgtkjanhkfjbk

the bitcoiners finally broke boxturret

like i broke his mom last night :q: