Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Super86 posted:

I'm looking for a subscription service to jumpstart my house collection. But all of them demand you to be a professional DJ (some of them apparently even review you). I'm just a bedroom DJ; is there any service I can use?

The thing is I want to get my hands on several hundred tracks to have some variety. Compilation albums with a good "cost per track" and full length tracks would also do, but I don't find many of those. Any suggestion?

Fenarisk posted:

For a record pools, bpm supreme worked great for me for house of all genres.

keevo posted:

I don't think a lot of these record pools check to see if you're a "professional DJ".

Hey, I'm kinda on the same boat. I haven't been adding to my library much in the last few years, so pls give a trip report update if/when you try it out.

* edit for new pageeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Alfajor posted:

Hey, I'm kinda on the same boat. I haven't been adding to my library much in the last few years, so pls give a trip report update if/when you try it out.

* edit for new pageeeeee

Will report back. Haven't had time to try yet, but will do soon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Some time ago I bought two Denon SC5000 and an x1800. I've been using it for like 3 months now
I really like them. They're very capable and intuitive and perfect as a bedroom setup.
The mixer sounds really good, but not as good as something like an Allen & Heath Xone, also the effects aren't as good, but the BPM function works great. It FEELS amazing though. the crossfaders and sliders are fantastic, knobs are all great.
The decks are really good. The touchscreen is easy to use and although it's in a fixed position, it's at a good angle. The menus are easy to navigate. Some stuff that you're not likely to mess with often is buried but most everything is quickly accessible. The pads are okay... they're not as nice as real velocity sensitive performance pads you find on laptop controllers like the NS6ii, but unfortunately you're also not using them the same way since you're not triggering samples.
Anywho... Great units, I don't have any major complaints. All in all I'm really happy.

So why the hell do I find myself just flipping vinyl on my SL1200's like 80% of the time I go to spin some tunes?

Edit: I jinxed myself. I got home tonight, booted it all up and it started making some crazy buzzing noises. Almost like the FX circuit and network board were causing some sort of interference or feedback or something.

https://youtu.be/OIDAI14srE4

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 15, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Edit: I jinxed myself. I got home tonight, booted it all up and it started making some crazy buzzing noises. Almost like the FX circuit and network board were causing some sort of interference or feedback or something.

Does it affect the actual use of the unit? Also is is still under warranty? I know the US loving HATES consumers so you get something dumb like 30 days warranty? EU is a year generally but if you push your case expect them to repair/replace anything up to 6 years. Expect to argue like a motherfucker though to get that.

My Pioneer DDJ-SX just decided at some point it wasn't going to allow me to use the phono input by killing the pre-amp on channel 2. Then doing the same for channel 1 several weeks later. Obviously I can use the line in from the Numark TTXs but it's the principal.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
I just got the pioneer DDJ SB3 off ebay which is for serato dj lite, which is simple and probably sucks. the controller itself feels nice and is "cute" and thats what i have to say about it

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Does it affect the actual use of the unit? Also is is still under warranty? I know the US loving HATES consumers so you get something dumb like 30 days warranty? EU is a year generally but if you push your case expect them to repair/replace anything up to 6 years. Expect to argue like a motherfucker though to get that.

My Pioneer DDJ-SX just decided at some point it wasn't going to allow me to use the phono input by killing the pre-amp on channel 2. Then doing the same for channel 1 several weeks later. Obviously I can use the line in from the Numark TTXs but it's the principal.

idk I didn't play any music or even turn on my amp/speakers.
I turned everything off, unplugged the ethernet cables, booted just the mixer up then turned on the SC5000's and plugged the ethernet cables back in after everything had booted.
The noise is gone so :shrug:

I'm afraid to try and make it do that again, as loud as it sounded in the video, it was MUCH louder in person. It sounded like someone put a copper mug in the microwave. :science:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have my subwoofer connected to the left channel TRS on my amplifier and it's backfeeding a hum.

What is the proper way to get a signal to the sub?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

revmoo posted:

I have my subwoofer connected to the left channel TRS on my amplifier and it's backfeeding a hum.

What is the proper way to get a signal to the sub?

If there's no dedicated Sub Out, my guess is that there's a problem with the sub being sent the entire frequency range. I'd suggest summing the L & R outs into your sub, but it should be a mono signal anyway. Inline EQ is the only thing I can think of but that also seems unnecessarily complicated.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Pretty sure it's a ground loop as the sub is on a different circuit. I get the hum even with the volume at zero on my mixer. The sub has a crossover.

A ground loop isolator will fix this, right?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

revmoo posted:

Pretty sure it's a ground loop as the sub is on a different circuit. I get the hum even with the volume at zero on my mixer. The sub has a crossover.

Worth a shot, they're pretty cheap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

revmoo posted:

Not always but it's worth a shot.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Some time ago I bought two Denon SC5000 and an x1800. I've been using it for like 3 months now
I really like them. They're very capable and intuitive and perfect as a bedroom setup.
The mixer sounds really good, but not as good as something like an Allen & Heath Xone, also the effects aren't as good, but the BPM function works great. It FEELS amazing though. the crossfaders and sliders are fantastic, knobs are all great.
The decks are really good. The touchscreen is easy to use and although it's in a fixed position, it's at a good angle. The menus are easy to navigate. Some stuff that you're not likely to mess with often is buried but most everything is quickly accessible. The pads are okay... they're not as nice as real velocity sensitive performance pads you find on laptop controllers like the NS6ii, but unfortunately you're also not using them the same way since you're not triggering samples.
Anywho... Great units, I don't have any major complaints. All in all I'm really happy.

So why the hell do I find myself just flipping vinyl on my SL1200's like 80% of the time I go to spin some tunes?

Nowhere around me has the sc5000s to try, how do the jogs feel compared to a nexus unit? Imo the sc5000s look really cheap and hideous (especially the jog edges), but if the tension feels good I've been considering it since it just seems like a much more capable piece of hardware, especially considering the new updates.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fenarisk posted:

Nowhere around me has the sc5000s to try, how do the jogs feel compared to a nexus unit? Imo the sc5000s look really cheap and hideous (especially the jog edges), but if the tension feels good I've been considering it since it just seems like a much more capable piece of hardware, especially considering the new updates.

Tension is good and smooth, on par with the CDJ-2000. I would have preferred 4 CDJ-2000's and a DJS-1000 of course, but I got the whole Denon setup for less than the cost of a single CDJ, soooooo...
Besides, everything that isn't a true turntable feels horrendously cheap to me, even motorized units don't hit the mark. If that's REALLY what you're after then I say just go with a DVS setup.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Resurrecting the DJ mix thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891284

Show us what you got

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

MrSargent posted:

The Anjunadeep label has a SoundCloud as well that you’ll want to check out for more track ideas.

I want to add a vote for their mixshow, called the deep edition. It is an amazing place to get into the 'deep' scene, which has evolved beyond just deep house into a more eclectic electronic sounds that just fit that 'deep' vibe.

Here's a stellar mix that is fairly recent from Daniel Curpen: https://www.mixcloud.com/anjunadeep/the-anjunadeep-edition-234-with-daniel-curpen/

Super86 posted:

I'm looking for a subscription service to jumpstart my house collection. But all of them demand you to be a professional DJ (some of them apparently even review you). I'm just a bedroom DJ; is there any service I can use?

The thing is I want to get my hands on several hundred tracks to have some variety. Compilation albums with a good "cost per track" and full length tracks would also do, but I don't find many of those. Any suggestion?

What do you currently do to find music (once you answer this, I can give you some more advice)? Beatport has a ton of compilations - once you find a record label you like, you should be able to find compilations of their mix to help you get jump started.

A word of warning - mass introductions of music to your library can be more harmful rather than helpful, so pace yourself. You don't want to add 200 tracks to your library at once - you'll never learn them all properly. This is partially a preference thing, some people can manage it, it does not work for me at all. I prefer to select tracks one at a time by browsing labels I like, and checking in on specific artists.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 6, 2019

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

mitztronic posted:

I want to add a vote for their mixshow, called the deep edition. It is an amazing place to get into the 'deep' scene, which has evolved beyond just deep house into a more eclectic electronic sounds that just fit that 'deep' vibe.

Here's a stellar mix that is fairly recent from Daniel Curpen: https://www.mixcloud.com/anjunadeep/the-anjunadeep-edition-234-with-daniel-curpen/

What do you currently do to find music (once you answer this, I can give you some more advice)? Beatport has a ton of compilations - once you find a record label you like, you should be able to find compilations of their mix to help you get jump started.

A word of warning - mass introductions of music to your library can be more harmful rather than helpful, so pace yourself. You don't want to add 200 tracks to your library at once - you'll never learn them all properly. This is partially a preference thing, some people can manage it, it does not work for me at all. I prefer to select tracks one at a time by browsing labels I like, and checking in on specific artists.

Currently I listen to a Youtube 24/7 channel and some mixes. I note down tracks I like and I get my hands on them. Also I buy a compilation album from time to time on Juno Download. However this is slow, and at the moment I can't mix properly because I still only have around a hundred tracks total.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Super86 posted:

Currently I listen to a Youtube 24/7 channel and some mixes. I note down tracks I like and I get my hands on them. Also I buy a compilation album from time to time on Juno Download. However this is slow, and at the moment I can't mix properly because I still only have around a hundred tracks total.

Finding music is a slow process - embrace it. There's not really a good way around this, unless you want to degrade the quality of your library. As DJs, we aren't here to beatmatch, we're here to dig & find music ($0.02). Somewhere around 3/4's of my time on this hobby is spent looking for music. That hour or two I'm playing is the tip of the iceberg.

Next step I would say is to keep an eye on the record labels you're getting music from - you'll start to see some labels pop up more often than others. Including labels in my music gathering strategy was key for me - however, one word of advice, stay away from huge labels - the sounds are too non-specific to be very useful (exceptions probably apply).

Once you find some solid labels you like, you can grab some of their compilations - these are really good for learning, because they're tracked out to be mixed together, and oftentimes come with a mixed version.

What kind of stuff are you into (more specific than the genres you mentioned on the last page)? I might be able to push you in the right direction.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

mitztronic posted:

Once you find some solid labels you like, you can grab some of their compilations - these are really good for learning, because they're tracked out to be mixed together, and oftentimes come with a mixed version.

What kind of stuff are you into (more specific than the genres you mentioned on the last page)? I might be able to push you in the right direction.

I'm afraid I can't be more specific, as I don't know yet all the sub-genres and I still struggle with the naming conventions. However Anjunadeep is basically my thing, and I bought 2 Yearbooks (2017 and 2018) that I find to be a pretty good bang for the buck. Regarding Uplifting trance, a lot of FSOE stuff.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Another good way to come across new music is to cross-reference artists/labels you like with their info on discogs.com and then search YouTube/Juno/Beatport/et. al. for the actual songs/albums to listen to.

Also for techno lovers, DeepSpace Helsinki & to a lesser extent, Resident Advisor, are constantly uploading mixes mostly with playlists attached.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Another good way to come across new music is to cross-reference artists/labels you like with their info on discogs.com and then search YouTube/Juno/Beatport/et. al. for the actual songs/albums to listen to.

Also for techno lovers, DeepSpace Helsinki & to a lesser extent, Resident Advisor, are constantly uploading mixes mostly with playlists attached.

Always think it's funny when people say they're having a hard time finding music when Discogs exists, you can potentially spend hours going down the rabbit hole just starting with one label. My issue is the complete opposite, there's too many releases and new/undiscovered (for me) labels, in addition to older stuff. I can never keep up with it.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

talktapes posted:

Always think it's funny when people say they're having a hard time finding music when Discogs exists, you can potentially spend hours going down the rabbit hole just starting with one label. My issue is the complete opposite, there's too many releases and new/undiscovered (for me) labels, in addition to older stuff. I can never keep up with it.

poo poo, I can’t even browse pbvinyl without wanting to order like 5 different records.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

talktapes posted:

There was a period of time when I was younger and I kept up with the entire electronica section on beatport. I had a lot of free time and energy back then, also discovered amazing music, but the time commitment was just insane, looking back.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

mitztronic posted:

There was a period of time when I was younger and I kept up with the entire electronica section on beatport. I had a lot of free time and energy back then, also discovered amazing music, but the time commitment was just insane, looking back.

I used to spend every Sunday just listening to new music. Like 10 hours straight. I had a lot of free time back then and it resulted in me owning an awful lot of music, most of which these days is pretty lovely tbh. I enjoyed it though :v:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Funny how much music really does not age well. Put on Delerium and tell me it has the same punch it did back in the day.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

revmoo posted:

Funny how much music really does not age well. Put on Delerium and tell me it has the same punch it did back in the day.

On the other hand, go listen to The Chronic or 2001 and tell me it doesn't still hold up from a production standpoint.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Also BANDCAMP. Bandcamp is brilliant for finding new electronic music, and of course, you're directly giving money to the artists and labels.

Bandcamp is everything.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can we get a quick detail going with some good punny DJ names? I usually post a flurry of them when announcing gigs on social media but my comedic spark has faded and I'm falling back on some old classics instead of staying topical. Here's a few to get the ball rolling:

MIDI Amin
Flosstoevsky
Kawaii Leonard
Trillie Eilish

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847035&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 usually has some gold

last page had "mos defcon" which is p good

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mister Speaker posted:

Can we get a quick detail going with some good punny DJ names? I usually post a flurry of them when announcing gigs on social media but my comedic spark has faded and I'm falling back on some old classics instead of staying topical. Here's a few to get the ball rolling:

MIDI Amin
Flosstoevsky
Kawaii Leonard
Trillie Eilish

Spinji Ikari

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

These are both excellent.

edit: Sergei Trackmaninoff

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Debussy Trap, Bitch

e: Maurice Rave-L

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Rave Matthews Band

(jk that's Pendulum)

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Rave Matthews Band

(jk that's Pendulum)

Lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Love hearing a new dope track in a set and checking it out, and it's like, 20 bpm out of your standard set range.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Love hearing a new dope track in a set and checking it out, and it's like, 20 bpm out of your standard set range.

Time to mix your game up then...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIDAI14srE4

Just wanted to chime in and say that months later I'm still trying to get this mixer covered under warranty.
IDK what the gently caress Denon DJ's problem is but their website just throws errors and the call-in number on their site just puts me on hold for 2 hours until someone eventually takes me a message and promises to have a tech call me back...

I'm not the only one to have had this exact problem either
https://denondjforum.com/t/mixer-making-sounds-and-audio-dropout/8767

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Note that Pioneer are equally as awful with customer service. My controller has a pre-amp die on one of the channels. Cool, whatever. Pre-amp then dies on the other channel so I call them up about it, it's barely out of warranty. "yeah you'll have to pay to have it checked out and then more to actually repair it". Having one channel just die with nothing plugged into it is not great, having the other also kill itself with nothing plugged into it suggests there's an actual problem with the design of the controller. They still wouldn't have it.

So yeah, no company is ever good at fixing problems due to their own lovely quality control. And that's the worst.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, never trust the maintenance or customer service departments of gear manufacturers. I had a similar issue with NI (or whoever it was that they outsource their repairs to), years ago when a fader died on my S4. It took months to get the thing back, radio silence the entire time. When I finally did get it back, the fader was still dead and so was one of the effect buttons, and the case (this one) was damaged; the laptop tray which is clearly supposed to SLIDE off, was completely ripped out of the case on one side, like an ape had tried to open it. Fortunately L&M's repair department does some pretty good case upholstery and fixed it for me free of charge.

GnarlieCharlie4u, I'm sorry you're going through this with Denon. :( Disappointing to hear about a new contender on the DJ gear scene failing so dismally at customer service, but it sounds like you do enjoy the gear despite these irritating setbacks which is good. I'd still love to take a pair of SC5000s for a spin.

In unrelated news, I went on a friend's livestream last week and my drives poo poo the bed again. About halfway through my set load times crawled to a halt and I started getting EMERGENCY LOOP on all decks. A part of me is super worried that there are just corrupt files in my library and if that's the case I have no idea what to do... but, having said that, I think I actually sorted this a while ago, and if I remember correctly it was some stupid little option in My Settings that was loving me - 'ON AIR DISPLAY' I think. Since both my home setup and the livestream I played on was using a pair of Nexus 2000s and 'legacy' (pre-Nexus) 2000s, something about that setting doesn't jive and causes errors if it's enabled. I'm going to do some playing around at home today and see if that's the cause, I really loving hope it is. On the downside if it is, that means I have to load My Settings into every set of CDJs I play on, which is definitely going to piss off some other DJs. :P

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I tweeted @denondj and got nothing so clearly they don't care about me or my 10 followers.
I'm just gonna keep calling and hoping for the best. I mean I've got till Christmas so maybe they'll hire someone who cares just enough to actually do something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Do they have a Facebook group? Might be worth trying?