Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

PBS posted:

Just ignore the interpersonal stuff.
It has kinda run its course, which is why I have started preferring other forums. There's too much history here, I guess. People can't resist a drive by. "Here's a post with a bit of relevant info, but for some reason I'm going to talk poo poo about another poster who wasn't even in the conversation" gets old after about the 200th time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It has kinda run its course, which is why I have started preferring other forums. There's too much history here, I guess. People can't resist a drive by. "Here's a post with a bit of relevant info, but for some reason I'm going to talk poo poo about another poster who wasn't even in the conversation" gets old after about the 200th time.

What other forums are there? Reddit and spiceworks

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Genuine, completely unironic not attempting to be funny at all post: sorry if I'm coming across as unnecessarily antagonistic. I couldn't sleep last night because I was trying to get ready for a move despite not knowing where the hell I'm moving to because two places in a row have fallen through at the last minute, and my wife isn't here to help pack up all this poo poo because she moved back in with her parents and her car is broken down in the garage as I type so I'm basically having to pack for two people while also trying to find a place last minute that allows pets and also getting over a viral infection that put me in urgent care because I could barely walk. My text conversation tone has not been good today and is probably just going further downhill as I go past hour 37 awake. If I'm coming across as genuinely dickish then I really am sorry. I wouldn't have this career if it wasn't for this forum and I appreciate how helpful all of you are in here.

Goddamn it was physically difficult not to crack a single joke during writing that, maybe I need to talk with a therapist about that.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Burnout is real man. Especially in our industry cause we don’t ever disconnect. Take care of yourself.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reddit and spiceworks are cesspools

So is this, but this is my kind of cesspool

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

However much you might think you MUST do stuff right now there is only one thing you really must do if you’re awake for 37 hours.

Get some sleep man. Set an alarm in 8 hours so you don’t wake up next week or something, but get some sleep. Seriously, drop whatever you’re doing and go to bed.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MF_James posted:

What other forums are there? Reddit and spiceworks
Spiceworks is useless, but Reddit is good, and Stack Exchange is also.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mods?!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Listen buddies, I didn't spend months fighting Redditors in Eve Online just to turn around and read their filth on the internet.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

/r/sysadmin is loving trash

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Genuine, completely unironic not attempting to be funny at all post: sorry if I'm coming across as unnecessarily antagonistic. I couldn't sleep last night because I was trying to get ready for a move despite not knowing where the hell I'm moving to because two places in a row have fallen through at the last minute, and my wife isn't here to help pack up all this poo poo because she moved back in with her parents and her car is broken down in the garage as I type so I'm basically having to pack for two people while also trying to find a place last minute that allows pets and also getting over a viral infection that put me in urgent care because I could barely walk. My text conversation tone has not been good today and is probably just going further downhill as I go past hour 37 awake. If I'm coming across as genuinely dickish then I really am sorry. I wouldn't have this career if it wasn't for this forum and I appreciate how helpful all of you are in here.

Goddamn it was physically difficult not to crack a single joke during writing that, maybe I need to talk with a therapist about that.

It's okay man, just use this forum as an avenue for relaxing rather than a source of stress. We only got one life on this earth so you do what you have to do. I see a therapist, everyone should. Take care of you.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

skipdogg posted:

trash yes, but they happen to be excellent canaries with their prod environments on patch tuesday.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

trash yes, but they happen to be excellent canaries with their prod environments on patch tuesday.

So much this.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Ya'll are cool and good,
Take care of yourselves!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Except for that one person. You know who you are.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Sickening posted:

Of all the ways to deploy servers SCCM seems like the worst IMO.

Oh I agree, but the guy still sucks at SCCM if he's a "True Believer" and they're still installing/configuring everything manually.

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Boat, 401(k), college funds, pick 2. Assuming you’re in a senior management position. Otherwise pick one or zero.

How is Houston’s community college?

HCC and Lonestar aren't terrible. It's generally considered High School v2 from all the people in my orbit who did CC.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Nazattack posted:

HCC and Lonestar aren't terrible. It's generally considered High School v2 from all the people in my orbit who did CC.

Wait he wasn’t talking about Cougar High???

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

jaegerx posted:

Burnout is real man. Especially in our industry cause we don’t ever disconnect. Take care of yourself.

huh? some of us are just fine disconnecting.
In fact, I'm home right now on new parent leave. I've closed like 14 tickets so far today and it's not even lunchtime. I also managed to fix our Airwatch server so when I get back to the office I can finally deploy all these phones that have been stacking up on my desk. I might even sneak into the office tonight when everyone is asleep and get started early so I can have them all done on Monday...

Jesus gently caress, you're right.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When I left my job to hike the AT I made it a main priority to disconnect from all technology as much as possible. It was wonderful for those 5 months. Go out in nature and breath in the world people.

Also I can report with 100% success rate that if you gently caress off for 9 months you can somehow come back to a less stressful job for more money so everyone should do that

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're hiring for a DBA and my boss is all concerned when he gets resumes of people who haven't worked in 3 months. He refuses to interview them. Anecdotal obviously.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

huh? some of us are just fine disconnecting.
In fact, I'm home right now on new parent leave. I've closed like 14 tickets so far today and it's not even lunchtime. I also managed to fix our Airwatch server so when I get back to the office I can finally deploy all these phones that have been stacking up on my desk. I might even sneak into the office tonight when everyone is asleep and get started early so I can have them all done on Monday...

Jesus gently caress, you're right.

this is why good employers literally shut your accounts off when you are on extended leave.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

skipdogg posted:

R/networking and the various Cisco forums are Quite Good. Sysadmin is just help desk lifers complaining all day.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GreenNight posted:

We're hiring for a DBA and my boss is all concerned when he gets resumes of people who haven't worked in 3 months. He refuses to interview them. Anecdotal obviously.
Right, why would a DBA ever be laid off

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

Also I can report with 100% success rate that if you gently caress off for 9 months you can somehow come back to a less stressful job for more money so everyone should do that

Hey, I hosed off for 9 months after getting laid off and now work a less stressful job for more money, too. I did manage to get my Net+ and re-enroll in school during that time though so it wasn't completely hosed off.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bigass Moth posted:

R/networking and the various Cisco forums are Quite Good. Sysadmin is just help desk lifers complaining all day.

I tried for a while to really help the guys there. I occasionally will still post in a good thread where someone has put some sort of effort into figuring their problem out, but yeah. It's weakly moderated, and full of one man shops being asked to keep a small business running off ebay parts and prayers, MSP lifers, and people that just post their issue without putting any effort into their post. If there was a more heavily moderated version with larger company/enterprise type admins I'd be way more active.

One of my favorite things about SA, and why I've enjoyed the last 15 years here is the moderation. chucklefucks get ran off pretty quick. We're a small group of people in this thread, but for the most part ya'll are pretty cool.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I tried for a while to really help the guys there. I occasionally will still post in a good thread where someone has put some sort of effort into figuring their problem out, but yeah. It's weakly moderated, and full of one man shops being asked to keep a small business running off ebay parts and prayers, MSP lifers, and people that just post their issue without putting any effort into their post. If there was a more heavily moderated version with larger company/enterprise type admins I'd be way more active.

One of my favorite things about SA, and why I've enjoyed the last 15 years here is the moderation. chucklefucks get ran off pretty quick. We're a small group of people in this thread, but for the most part ya'll are pretty cool.

You should see r/ITCareerQuestions. So many people looking on how to get a start in IT but can't be hosed to do a basic google search or even a subreddit search, as if their question hasn't been asked ten times in the last day. The basic lack of searching skills and self-awareness in that makes me fear for whoever hires them.

I have always liked SA for it's more strict moderation, or even a basic level of moderation lol. It helps that I still prefer the old message board style of reading than reading a popularity contest for upboats and some real funny banter. People at least somewhat try here.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Comradephate posted:

this is why good employers literally shut your accounts off when you are on extended leave.

I tried to do this for somebody and you'd think I just suggested we detonate a nuke in a crowded subway system.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

I have always liked SA for it's more strict moderation, or even a basic level of moderation lol. It helps that I still prefer the old message board style of reading than reading a popularity contest for upboats and some real funny banter. People at least somewhat try here.

Yeah, voting and karma ruins actual discussion

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I frequent /r/aws and at least half of the time when I give obviously correct advice based on the docs and AWS's best practices the hobbyist asking very stupid questions argues with me because I told them to do it differently than the way they wanted to do it. (which didn't work, which is why they are asking questions)

I try to be helpful, but it is a frustrating experience.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I tried to do this for somebody and you'd think I just suggested we detonate a nuke in a crowded subway system.

As more countries pass laws designed to ensure people aren't working on emails at 10pm I expect Office 365 will adapt to have some sort of office hours setting where it automatically stops notifications on connected applications, maybe even hides new messages until the work day begins again etc.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the dnd function on my phone basically does this.

I have it set for 6pm-6am

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

As more countries pass laws designed to ensure people aren't working on emails at 10pm I expect Office 365 will adapt to have some sort of office hours setting where it automatically stops notifications on connected applications, maybe even hides new messages until the work day begins again etc.

Teams has a "Quiet hours" setting on the iOS app. Outlook for some reason doesn't.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just started a new job and want to see if these are red flags for everyone and not just me:

-my first day I request access to Jira to create projects. The guy in charge of jira walks over, laughs, and says “we’re not going to give you access to make projects, just put all your work on a jira ticket.”

-my boss has a “kill list” (his words) on his whiteboard of offshore developers he’s planning on firing

-sends emails to our vendor on Sunday asking for information that’s on the project plan that I created the week before, then on Monday says “look at the emails I sent on your behalf”

-doesn’t trust our vendors tools to provide accurate information, so he told me to work with the developers to find out the status of issues under development. I export all issues from the vendors tool, scope each out with the tech lead, then compile what I think is the true magnitude of work left. He then says he doesn’t trust it and wants me to work in the tool.

-my first scheduled deployment planned at the beginning of the month to go this Wednesday gets bumped when someone else says they need to deploy Wednesday and they have precedence. I ask what the release management process is and get asked “what is release management?”

-despite not having a release management process expects me to lock down release dates for the next 3 months. When I ask him how to do that if anyone can deploy to prod whenever they feel like it he told me to “talk to the other PMs”

-after asking me to lock down the dates he gets on a call and tells people they can bump my work if they need to

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

Teams has a "Quiet hours" setting on the iOS app. Outlook for some reason doesn't.

Yeah, Slack as well. I don't get notified before 10 or after 6 M-F, or at all on weekends. If I'm on call and it's an emergency, page me. Otherwise I'll see your message on the next work day.

I solved the email issue by just not getting work email on my phone.

While I'm throwing out schedule pro-tips, I strongly recommend permanently blocking out 12-1pm as busy for lunch, and if your coworkers are especially obnoxious, also the time before and after working hours so you don't get 7pm meeting invites.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Outlook app for Android has a auto-DND mode you can turn on, but you can't adjust the hours which is incredibly dumb.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Just started a new job and want to see if these are red flags for everyone and not just me:

-my boss has a “kill list” (his words) on his whiteboard of offshore developers he’s planning on firing

:yikes:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

-my first day I request access to Jira to create projects. The guy in charge of jira walks over, laughs, and says “we’re not going to give you access to make projects, just put all your work on a jira ticket.”

-sends emails to our vendor on Sunday asking for information that’s on the project plan that I created the week before, then on Monday says “look at the emails I sent on your behalf”

-doesn’t trust our vendors tools to provide accurate information, so he told me to work with the developers to find out the status of issues under development. I export all issues from the vendors tool, scope each out with the tech lead, then compile what I think is the true magnitude of work left. He then says he doesn’t trust it and wants me to work in the tool.

-my first scheduled deployment planned at the beginning of the month to go this Wednesday gets bumped when someone else says they need to deploy Wednesday and they have precedence. I ask what the release management process is and get asked “what is release management?”

-despite not having a release management process expects me to lock down release dates for the next 3 months. When I ask him how to do that if anyone can deploy to prod whenever they feel like it he told me to “talk to the other PMs”

-after asking me to lock down the dates he gets on a call and tells people they can bump my work if they need to

:getout: and :sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It was nice knowing you, rohit and pradeep: