Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TGLT posted:

she's the only candidate with a plan for a mass exodus back to the primeval plane
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/145658786131099649

What the hell is this, Scientology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Typo posted:

she's not anti-vaxxers she just thinks prayers cure swine flu

gets your facts and revolutionary consciousness straight liberal

I feel like this crossover is dangerous.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Williamson is pretty irrelevant, but she's good in the sense that she makes the people who aren't actually serious about unfucking all the fuckery that the US is up to really expose themselves.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

Course in Miracles stuff, have a gander: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Course_in_Miracles

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

Don't you mean "yaasss queen"? I thought she was cool now?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, rather than finish him off, I'd prefer for Harris, Biden, and Warren to split the non-Bernie vote (so this outcome is still good).

If I'm being completely honest, I don't think Bernie's support will exceed the net support of people who don't want to vote for him (in the primary; I still think he would perform better than anyone else in the general). If Harris or whoever could successfully clear the field and get the media behind them, I believe they would beat Bernie. It's just too early and there are too many boomers/gen-x-ers still voting. But fortunately there are multiple candidates splitting the older-person vote (mainly Biden, Harris, and Warren), so he can possibly win a plurality.

Correct me if I'm wrong but depending on the distribution of the split support between states I'm pretty sure this is likely to lead to a contested convention and aaaaaaaaaaaa please kill me if that happens.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Don't you mean "yaasss queen"? I thought she was cool now?

No, she's just hilarious.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

angels are monstrous beings that had to say "be not afraid" whenever they appeared to humans so they wouldn't poo poo their pants.

If those creatures showed up on every battlefield, yeah I don't think any of the humans there would be able to imagine continuing the fight

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bernie's ultimately gonna win due to a far superior ground game compared to the rest of the pack, and that's just how it is.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

VitalSigns posted:

If those creatures showed up on every battlefield, yeah I don't think any of the humans there would be able to imagine continuing the fight

Seems like it'd just briefly shift orientation, depending on how capable the angels were of bringing forth great and terrible biblical destruction. The current high score for a single angel is 185,000 directly in one night (Isaiah 37:36), so it doesn't seem like it'd take too long.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So what those charts are telling me is that everyone did a good job

yay gold stars all around

No. That Bernie did. He is all that matters.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Bernie's ultimately gonna win due to a far superior ground game compared to the rest of the pack, and that's just how it is.

Point of order: I thought it was a well established and actually oft-mentioned fact ITT that Warren was the one with the biggest staff and number of field offices by far. In fact that was used as reasoning to pronounce her run dead only mere months ago. But Bernie's is formidable, yes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

King of Solomon posted:

No, she's just hilarious.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

VH4Ever posted:

Point of order: I thought it was a well established and actually oft-mentioned fact ITT that Warren was the one with the biggest staff and number of field offices by far. In fact that was used as reasoning to pronounce her run dead only mere months ago. But Bernie's is formidable, yes.

Her increased in funding has helped her, but the number of volunteers just isn't there.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Kalli posted:

Course in Miracles stuff, have a gander: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Course_in_Miracles

The origins of that book are fascinating

quote:

A Course in Miracles was written as a collaborative venture between Schucman and William ('Bill') Thetford. In 1958 Schucman began her professional career at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City as Thetford's research associate.[10][11] In the spring of 1965, at a time when their weekly office meetings had become so contentious that they both dreaded them, Thetford suggested to Schucman that "[t]here must be another way".[12] Schucman believed that this interaction acted as a stimulus, triggering a series of inner experiences that were understood by her as visions, dreams, and heightened imagery, along with an "inner voice" which she identified as Jesus. She said that on October 21, 1965, an "inner voice" told her: "This is a Course in Miracles, please take notes." Schucman said that the writing made her very uncomfortable, though it never seriously occurred to her to stop.[13] The next day, she explained the events of her "note taking" to Thetford. To her surprise, Thetford encouraged her to continue the process. He also offered to assist her in typing out her notes as she read them to him. The transcription the next day repeated itself regularly for many years to come. In 1972, the dictation of the three main sections of the Course was completed, with some additional minor dictation coming after that point. [14]

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

Her increased in funding has helped her, but the number of volunteers just isn't there.

OK, volunteers is another story and yeah, I don't have headcounts but my off the cuff guess would be Bernie has poo poo tons. I imagine though if she ends up the last one standing after Biden and others drop off and the voters continue flocking to her message, that will come along with it. But that's a few really big "ifs" :shrug:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

That's irrelevant since Bernie has a literal army of volunteers to draw upon. Warren doesn't have anything like that.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Warren now with the highest net favorability in the race. Also Marianne didn't capture any hearts:

https://twitter.com/micahcohen/status/1144689344520830977

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess it explains a thing or two that LinYutang apparently doesn't know about the margin of error.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sanders and Warren. Cool.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

theblackw0lf posted:

The origins of that book are fascinating

What’s amazing to me is I stumbled upon the course in miracles wikipedia page for the first time a few weeks ago at random, read the whole thing and clicked some of the links, and thought “ok, that was fun.” Seeing it out there in real life now is just wow

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

VH4Ever posted:

OK, volunteers is another story and yeah, I don't have headcounts but my off the cuff guess would be Bernie has poo poo tons. I imagine though if she ends up the last one standing after Biden and others drop off and the voters continue flocking to her message, that will come along with it. But that's a few really big "ifs" :shrug:

Those people don't volunteer. Olds and wine moms are pretty lazy as far as political activism.

Edit: Oh, I thought you meant last one standing vs Bernie. I also discounted that Bernie is the second choice for a lot of Biden voters for name recognition reasons. Although maybe that will change. If she is the nominee then yeah Trump has it in the bag. The debates will be hilarious, though.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 28, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like Williamson confuses people the same way Gabbard does.

Legitimately better than 95% of Democratic politicians, yet still utterly horrible. But a ton of people hear someone say the first, and immediately jump to the conclusion that this is the same as saying she's good, because the alternative would be to face the fact that the party is mostly a pack of greedy evil opportunists lusting for foreign blood.

It's a symptom of a larger problem in politics: many issues have become so dominated by lobbyists and establishments that some positions go almost completely unrepresented, because both parties' positions are basically whatever industry lobbyists tell them to have.

Politics is so dominated by those special interests that the only people who don't agree with them are the people who don't listen to anyone and actively buck authority. That occasionally leads to good policies but also tends to lead to bad policies, but some voters feel like they're left with little choice but to tolerate the bad policies because no one else has those good policies.

When I hear people praising Williamson for her strong anti-interventionist stances while making excuses for her vaccine skepticism, it doesn't really sound much different from when people praised Ron Paul for his strong anti-interventionist stances while making excuses for the fact that he wanted to repeal the Civil Rights Act. But there's not a whole lot of anti-interventionists on the national stage, and even fewer who make it one of their primary issues.

If there were decent candidates that were strongly anti-war, no one would be going for folks like Paul or Williamson. But when your stances have been ignored politically for so long, it's pretty tempting to make excuses for the failings of the one politician that shares your views, even if they're some pretty loving major failings.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

Those people don't volunteer. Olds and wine moms are pretty lazy as far as political activism.

Historically, yeah. This era though? Seems like that's a lot of what I encountered in SoCal Indivisible groups and they're definitely active. The one near me had that nationally famous weekly protest against Issa, for instance.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

LinYutang posted:

Warren now with the highest net favorability in the race. Also Marianne didn't capture any hearts:

https://twitter.com/micahcohen/status/1144689344520830977

Eh, it'll probably regress to the mean over time. I'm not convinced this made or breaked anyone's carrer (maybe Harris).

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

VH4Ever posted:

Historically, yeah. This era though? Seems like that's a lot of what I encountered in SoCal Indivisible groups and they're definitely active. The one near me had that nationally famous weekly protest against Issa, for instance.

Ok. Just this one time things will be different in activism.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
LISTEN: Biden Supported A Constitutional Amendment To End Mandated Busing In 1975

People say "YIKES" a lot these days, but when it really comes from the heart, y'know.....

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Judakel posted:

Edit: Oh, I thought you meant last one standing vs Bernie. I also discounted that Bernie is the second choice for a lot of Biden voters for name recognition reasons. Although maybe that will change. If she is the nominee then yeah Trump has it in the bag. The debates will be hilarious, though.
I don't really get this sentiment that Warren is a sure loss against Trump. If anything, she strikes me as the sort of candidate that will have the fewest problems when it comes to firing up the Democratic base as a whole. A lot of Bernie voters seem to consider her "good enough" to vote for in the general, but she's also "establishment" enough that liberals and olds won't be afraid to vote for her. Add to that the chance to boot out Trump and she seems like she'd be a lock. I know polls say she does worse than Biden/Bernie against Trump, but polls this far out don't mean poo poo.

Of course, this is all presupposing that Warren wins the nomination "legitimately" (whatever that means) and doesn't somehow piss off the Bernie wing by denying him the win, but in a vacuum she definitely feels like the best choice from a purely strategic perspective.

(and yes I realize that people should vote based on more than just "strategy", but I'm just saying)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't really get this sentiment that Warren is a sure loss against Trump. If anything, she strikes me as the sort of candidate that will have the fewest problems when it comes to firing up the Democratic base as a whole. A lot of Bernie voters seem to consider her "good enough" to vote for in the general, but she's also "establishment" enough that liberals and olds won't be afraid to vote for her. Add to that the chance to boot out Trump and she seems like she'd be a lock. I know polls say she does worse than Biden/Bernie against Trump, but polls this far out don't mean poo poo.

Of course, this is all presupposing that Warren wins the nomination "legitimately" (whatever that means) and doesn't somehow piss off the Bernie wing by denying him the win, but in a vacuum she definitely feels like the best choice from a purely strategic perspective.

(and yes I realize that people should vote based on more than just "strategy", but I'm just saying)

A lot of Bernie voters consider her good enough before she has to go up against Bernie and people start informing those voters of her waffling and lack of spine. Even Bernie signaled last night, in his closing statement, that "plans" are not enough. The knives will come out. But that's not even your biggest problem, because the biggest asset that Bernie has is motivating some people who normally would not vote. She doesn't do that. You also can't thread a needle between being establishment enough and left wing. That will come across as flip-flopping... Because it is. The chance to boot out Trump is good, but it didn't work for Kerry.

Plus, there's the fact that she has a history of being an opportunist and Trump will mock her and drag her for it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Judakel posted:

No. That Bernie did. He is all that matters.

Not surprising that Bernie stans itt want to minimize and decenter the accomplishments of Harris, Warren and Williamson.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Calibanibal posted:

Not surprising that Bernie stans itt want to minimize and decenter the accomplishments of Harris, Warren and Williamson.

Indeed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The establishment people who say that they're fine with Warren are lying, hth. It's literally the same story everywhere and every time, what they do is pretend to support the second most left candidate and then turn on them once the leftmost alternative has been smoked out.

Also Warren let Trump goad her into scoring an own goal for absolutely no reason, so that's somewhat concerning.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Roluth posted:

Eh, it'll probably regress to the mean over time. I'm not convinced this made or breaked anyone's carrer (maybe Harris).

It's not the Last Word, but it absolutely bled Biden to the quick, and Harris is now a solid Tier 1 candidate where she was in danger of dropping down from poor polling.

Harris needed this debate performance, but now she needs to capitalize and put together a visible campaign or she'll start backsliding.

Biden is a relic from another era, and really showed it. He's already losing big donors; he's going to continue to bleed support and dollars until Super Tuesday, or he decides to "spend more time with the family"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Delthalaz posted:

What’s amazing to me is I stumbled upon the course in miracles wikipedia page for the first time a few weeks ago at random, read the whole thing and clicked some of the links, and thought “ok, that was fun.” Seeing it out there in real life now is just wow

I originally found out about it because it was almost directly parodied in the Illuminatus! book series and then I randomly had a conversation with a lady who was super into it in the late 90's and was able to keep pace with her from that.

Seeing it pop back up again 20 years later sure is wild.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Quorum posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but depending on the distribution of the split support between states I'm pretty sure this is likely to lead to a contested convention and aaaaaaaaaaaa please kill me if that happens.

I believe this is true, but because I'm pessimistic I also don't see Sanders winning if the rest of the field consolidates early.

It's possible I'm being overly pessimistic, though. The advantage of Sanders' huge organizational effort and funds is probably pretty big and will make a big difference in terms of motivating people to get out and vote.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Typo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 28, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Warren is unlikely to have the significant crossover appeal Bernie has, and she has also shown that she has very bad political instincts on multiple occasions (like the DNA test thing or the dumb "facts about Elizabeth" thing on her website).

Warren is charismatic in a way that appeals specifically to people who are educated and/or higher-income, but those people don't make up as big a portion of the general election (though she has a good chance in the primary).

One important thing to keep in mind is that a lot of Bernie's support seems to actually be coming from the sort of people who don't post a bunch on Twitter and what have you. It isn't a coincidence that he has such a big spike for people who make under $55k or who have no college degree. While this subforum may strongly skew left and have a bunch of Bernie supporters, Bernie supporters here probably aren't representative of most of the people who will actually end up voting for him (and this is good).

edit: All of this being said, nothing related to electability should ever factor into who someone chooses to vote for. If Warren were actually better than Bernie on the issues, I wouldn't care that she has bad political instincts or whatever.

Cerebral Bore posted:

The establishment people who say that they're fine with Warren are lying, hth. It's literally the same story everywhere and every time, what they do is pretend to support the second most left candidate and then turn on them once the leftmost alternative has been smoked out.

Also Warren let Trump goad her into scoring an own goal for absolutely no reason, so that's somewhat concerning.

Well, we should hope they're lying! Because if they're being honest, it doesn't say anything good about Warren.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

This is a face that says "your twitter is demeaning both of us"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/TheYoungTurks/status/1144721383093690369

TYT is loving useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1138576840128225280