Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cartoon Man posted:

Future upgrades are incoming.

Let's Turbo-Charge this little boi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cartoon Man posted:

Future upgrades are incoming.

My Turtle is Fight

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

My Turlt is Fight

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If anyone’s curious, here’s where it’s from.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/war-tortoise/id1087489471

It was cute for a day or two then I uninstalled.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My Turlt is Fight

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Let's Turbo-Charge this little boi!

Dude that just looks like a rat loving a turlt. How rude

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

We need to :regd08:

MY TURLT IS FIGHT!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The suspect in Pinky the flamingo's death is struck by a truck and killed

quote:

The man who drew the ire of animal lovers after he was accused of causing the death of Pinky, a beloved Chilean flamingo at a Florida them park, has died.
Joseph Anthony Corrao, 48, was struck by a pickup as he crossed a road in Orlando, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Corrao was taken to a hospital, where he died June 5.
Witnesses report the truck driver seemed oddly thin and pink.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/06/25/Toddler-gets-stuck-inside-claw-machine-while-trying-to-reach-Pikachu-dolls/9701561487533/?sl=10

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well those do seem to be fairly high quality stuffed dolls in there, if a toddler gets stuck in cheap plastic keychain vending machine OTOH then you should just leave.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Those machines are scams. People who get stuck inside should be legally entitled to its contents.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Also the article didn't mention if the girl got a doll in the end, I hope her parents gave her something:3:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Knormal posted:

Good.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

What a psycho. Jesus.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What a psycho. Jesus.

I think I read somewhere else that he had previously shot at his neighbors' dogs.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Knormal posted:

This is a side note but why is CNN such a bloated piece of poo poo of a news site? Regardless of where and on what device I’m using their pages load slow as molasses and are annoying as hell to navigate

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

To maximise add revenue. At least they don't have Taboola clickbait (even if its pretty close) (and faint praise)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is a side note but why is CNN such a bloated piece of poo poo of a news site? Regardless of where and on what device I’m using their pages load slow as molasses and are annoying as hell to navigate

try browsing from the EU lol

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What a psycho. Jesus.

You gotta wonder what kind of behavior flew under the radar for him to reach adulthood. There's no way he only behaved that way toward animals, and there's no way it's a recent development.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alabama governor signs bill granting a church a private police force.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

well I sure didn't read about this in a million pulp sf novels, liner notes to punk albums, zines, and rpg sourcebooks like twenty years ago

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
and you just know that their uniforms are gonna be some "extras in a marilyn manson video" bullshit

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I’m echoing this from elsewhere, but I can’t wait for mosques in Alabama to put together their own police force to enforce sharia law. Alabama will be fine with that, right??

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

From my reading of it, it's no different than a college campus having its own police force. It's a church with an academy of 2k plus students. It's not like they're the Redneck Swiss Guard or anything.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Marcade posted:

From my reading of it, it's no different than a college campus having its own police force. It's a church with an academy of 2k plus students. It's not like they're the Redneck Swiss Guard or anything.

Have you like... seen what's happening in the US today? A woman just got indicted because she got shot in the stomach when a man attacked her, so it was naturally her fault the baby died. A religious police force isn't unbelievable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Marcade posted:

But why do either of those need a police force? There is a state police force, right? Why is there any need for any separate forces?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Scathach posted:

Have you like... seen what's happening in the US today? A woman just got indicted because she got shot in the stomach when a man attacked her, so it was naturally her fault the baby died. A religious police force isn't unbelievable.

I thought it was another woman shot her, and supposedly the indicted woman started the fight? Either way, ridiculous that she would get charged with manslaughter for having a miscarriage by getting shot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

But why do either of those need a police force? There is a state police force, right? Why is there any need for any separate forces?

There’s state and city police forces in America, depending on the city size. So no, there’s absolutely no reason to have a private police force with the power to arrest.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

In my experience every college that's more than a couple hundred students has its own force. Granted, I say "force" loosely as they seem to mostly do traffic enforcement/drunk and disorderly calls rather than anything of substance.

Scathach posted:

I'm only familiar with Texas law but I have to assume it's generally the same that these would be state licensed officers, not like a religious PMC. If they're state licensed, they can't (legally) enforce anything that isn't state law. I'm not saying they really *need* to have their own officers but I don't think it's the bizarre news it seems on its face.

Marcade has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Jun 28, 2019

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Alabama has always been a "special" State,but they've been ramping it up to 15 the past few months.
They are currently beating out Florida for the " What the gently caress, man?" factor

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Marcade posted:

In my experience every college that's more than a couple hundred students has its own force. Granted, I say "force" loosely as they seem to mostly do traffic enforcement/drunk and disorderly calls rather than anything of substance.

I don't understand why though. You already have a police force with training, policies, oversight etc. If you need additional police to cover an area, just hire more officers to the state force and assign them to that area? Instead of trying to duplicate everything.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

You're preaching to the choir. It would be preferable for the officers to be under one organization but (local) government at least freaks at the idea of spending money on infrastructure. If they can con the colleges into spending their money on officers, all the better (for them).

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Marcade posted:

The key is who has the power to hire and fire the officers, and whether they have actual police powers. Some big universities do have actual cops whose sole job is policing the university, but they're not answerable directly to the university (at least in theory).

A police force that is answerable only to the university is basically guaranteed to start covering up anything that paints the university in a bad light. Existing private security working on campuses does this already, but is at least theoretically constrained by not having any more police power than a random person on the street.

This is a bad, but unfortunately inevitable outcome of our continued slide into cyberpunk dystopia.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Azathoth posted:

The key is who has the power to hire and fire the officers, and whether they have actual police powers. Some big universities do have actual cops whose sole job is policing the university, but they're not answerable directly to the university (at least in theory).

A police force that is answerable only to the university is basically guaranteed to start covering up anything that paints the university in a bad light. Existing private security working on campuses does this already, but is at least theoretically constrained by not having any more police power than a random person on the street.

This is a bad, but unfortunately inevitable outcome of our continued slide into cyberpunk dystopia.

The local university where I live has campus police who are simply highway patrol officers in different uniforms. The campus is state property so that makes sense. No idea if this is common.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

The local university where I live has campus police who are simply highway patrol officers in different uniforms. The campus is state property so that makes sense. No idea if this is common.

Same. UF is nearby, and they have campus police, but as far as I know, they're still normal police officers.

'Course, UF is a public school.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://thehustle.co/worst-counterfeiter-in-history-mr-880

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol @ meghan JOHN MCCAIN'S DAUGHTER McCain deciding which democrat to vote for in the primary

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I really liked that story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

lol @ meghan JOHN MCCAIN'S DAUGHTER McCain deciding which democrat to vote for in the primary

The only languages McCain speaks are privilege and personal outrage so I’m not sure subtitles are gonna do much for her