Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Are PB/WS still considered bad by most people? I had a ton of fun leveling one on live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

year199X posted:

Are PB/WS still considered bad by most people? I had a ton of fun leveling one on live.

They're fine at 50, if a bit boring because the best end game builds are human form. If you're having fun, live the dream!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

year199X posted:

They e been fine since the Nictus whatever's don't show up every two seconds.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

I screwed around on an Archery Blaster long enough to think that Devices may be a better pair than Tactical Arrow.

If only for Field Agent. Can anyone comment on this?

Appraisals of Devices are up in the air because as part of the big snipe changes they're also buffing the bejeezus out of /Dev by way of a recharge bonus in Targeting Drone, making Time Bomb not poo poo, and adding some free damage to Web Grenade. Edit: Oh, and buffing Taser too IIRC.

That said, I played Arch/Dev on live and I thought it was pretty good.

Edit: The defense bonus from Field Agent is negligible but I guess lets you slot some more defense IO stuff (and Smoke Grenade will help push that effective defense further), but Tactical Arrow gets the same exact same regen/recovery from Eagle Eye.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 28, 2019

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Inzombiac posted:

I screwed around on an Archery Blaster long enough to think that Devices may be a better pair than Tactical Arrow.

If only for Field Agent. Can anyone comment on this?

All the Blaster secondaries get a sustain power of some kind, and Tactical Arrow's is pretty good. Overall I think the set is honestly fantastic - it's Trick Arrow But Better (And On A Blaster.)

I don't gently caress with Blasters too much but I've got a (real expensive) build that I'm really happy with for it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

year199X posted:

PBs are pretty much 'almost as good as a brute, but not quite'.

Warshades are a big mishmash of powers that really don't come together. IMHO the best way to play is as a squid 99% of the time, which makes them almost as good as a blaster, but not quite.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gynovore posted:

PBs are pretty much 'almost as good as a brute, but not quite'.

Warshades are a big mishmash of powers that really don't come together. IMHO the best way to play is as a squid 99% of the time, which makes them almost as good as a blaster, but not quite.

???
Warshades used to outperform PBs by quite a bit. Once dwarf mire got nerfed, now they look really similar to PBs in the end game with how they're best at being humanform only. Both still want to be triform while levelling. Warshades are still really good, don't get me wrong. The main difference is PBs have a lot of knockback that needs to be converted to knock up (or not) and WSs draw on enemies around them to power up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Potsticker posted:

???
Warshades used to outperform PBs by quite a bit. Once dwarf mire got nerfed, now they look really similar to PBs in the end game with how they're best at being humanform only. Both still want to be triform while levelling. Warshades are still really good, don't get me wrong. The main difference is PBs have a lot of knockback that needs to be converted to knock up (or not) and WSs draw on enemies around them to power up.

All of this is correct. At 50 with Incarnates and IOs, multiforming isn't really worth the effort for either Kheldian.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
My Live PB was human only at 50, running perma Light Form. With LF plus the regular shields, he had brute-ish resists and mez protection and a solid attack chain, mostly melee with a bit of ranged. Pretty solid, except that you lose 50% of your health every 90 seconds. So, almost as good as a broot, but not quite.

Human form Warshades fall short on damage. Gravity Well is solid single target melee damage, Unchain Essence is damaging but clunky (and unusable when foes don't leave corpses) and the nuke is ok, but a human form WS just does not have a beefy sustained attack chain.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If I was hell-bent on making a Dual Blade character, what would be my best bet?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I know you’re supposed to ignore combos. I think nimble slash and thousand cuts are traps.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Inzombiac posted:

I think it shines best on a Scrapper. The Stalker version has sliiightly better single target, but it loses a good amount of its AOE.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Inzombiac posted:

db/ele scrapper is what I have and it massacres everything. You will get some runners and will have end problems for a little while though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So I've been wiki-diving while the game downloads, and I've tuned my build a little. First character is going to be Animal CTRL, Beast/Sonic MM. I was glancing through premium content, and had a question: Is it viable to use Beast Run at 4 instead of a more typical travel power? Obviously it's doable, but is there a compelling reason to go with normal Super Speed or Super Jump? More to the point, is Beast Run free in the P2W shop?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Dareon posted:

So I've been wiki-diving while the game downloads, and I've tuned my build a little. First character is going to be Animal CTRL, Beast/Sonic MM. I was glancing through premium content, and had a question: Is it viable to use Beast Run at 4 instead of a more typical travel power? Obviously it's doable, but is there a compelling reason to go with normal Super Speed or Super Jump? More to the point, is Beast Run free in the P2W shop?

It's viable to use Beast Run as soon as you can visit the P2W vendor. SS/SJ are faster by a significant amount and SJ gives you much higher jumps, but you can make do. Beast Run is free if it's your first premium travel power.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

It's viable to use Beast Run as soon as you can visit the P2W vendor. SS/SJ are faster by a significant amount and SJ gives you much higher jumps, but you can make do. Beast Run is free if it's your first premium travel power.

And don't forget to take the jump pack, too. You're set for travel powers between those two until you feel like respeccing.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah one of the first things I do on my characters is bind mbutton to beast/ninja run and lctrl +mbutton to steam jump (until I can afford jet pack). So I get decent speed and jump but if I need a boost in height I can do it quite easily.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can use ninja/beast run stacked with sprint.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

tooterfish posted:

You can use ninja/beast run stacked with sprint.

It's a functional and flavourful "travel power" for a bunch of concepts, too!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Beast Run/Ninja Run are good enough that you can get by without a real travel power, but real travel powers are better enough that they're a solid investment if you can spare a power pick for them.

Note that there's also the Rocket Board, Magic Carpet, and Void Skiff (which are mechanically identical, like how Ninja Run and Beast Run are basically the same). It lets you fly, but shuts off all of your toggles. I think it's faster than Beast Run + Sprint, but I can't remember and can't be assed to check. Having your toggles shut off shouldn't be a huge problem for a beast/sonic Mastermind, though.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I've been using Rocket Board on my Beam/Dev blaster, purely for theme reasons. It does knock out her targeting drone and cloak, but it's fine - I generally don't use travel powers besides sprint inside missions anyway.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Void skiff has been an excellent addition to my speedster.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Add in mission teleporter and temp powers once you can afford them and there’s never a real need for a travel power if it doesn’t work with your concept.

I always take either flight or super jump depending on concept just because I love using those powers, but they’re never needed.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

tbh, I am slightly annoyed how useless long-range teleport is compared to all the temp/bonus power teleports.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Useless teleport powers? Can we talk about Group Teleport?

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Potsticker posted:

Useless teleport powers? Can we talk about Group Teleport?

I feel like both that and group fly were intended for "raid" style content, someday, without really knowing what that entails.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Huh so long range teleport is just go to zone? That just seems like oroboros/a base teleporter with fewer steps.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the best F2P travel power is Flying Disc

Spanish Matlock posted:

Huh so long range teleport is just go to zone? That just seems like oroboros/a base teleporter with fewer steps.

LRT is real good. most of the reason to take travel powers is not the actual travel component, but the support powers that you get along the way: Hover, Combat Jumping, Teleport Friend, Hasten, etc. most of the travel pools have at least two solid powers in them besides the actual travel one

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

LordSaturn posted:

the best F2P travel power is Flying Disc

LRT is real good. most of the reason to take travel powers is not the actual travel component, but the support powers that you get along the way: Hover, Combat Jumping, Teleport Friend, Hasten, etc. most of the travel pools have at least two solid powers in them besides the actual travel one

The thing with LRT is it's just an Oro portal with a couple more options that takes longer to use. It'd be more useful if it didn't essentially always port you to the train station and if it could take you to hazard zones, or if it could take your entire team, or really anything that makes it not just an Oro portal with fewer clicks and a ridiculous lead-up time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

spectralent posted:

The thing with LRT is it's just an Oro portal with a couple more options that takes longer to use. It'd be more useful if it didn't essentially always port you to the train station and if it could take you to hazard zones, or if it could take your entire team, or really anything that makes it not just an Oro portal with fewer clicks and a ridiculous lead-up time.

I assume that LRT is the reason why the base teleporter from P2W takes like 30 minutes to recharge. Man I'd like to just be able to hit my base to stash stuff/craft stuff/pet my dog between missions.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Made a thing but I don't know what to do with it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

spectralent posted:

activating a power and waiting five seconds > dropping out of flight, activating a power, ground targeting it, clicking the little glowy target it makes

like, you can macro it so that you don't have to do the ground targeting part, but for the most part I'd rather click my power once and take a sip of my drink

EDIT: if you're changing maps you're probably not under a very tight time pressure, sorry but I'm literally in love with LRT, it's such a good feature

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 29, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

LordSaturn posted:

activating a power and waiting five seconds > dropping out of flight, activating a power, ground targeting it, clicking the little glowy target it makes

like, you can macro it so that you don't have to do the ground targeting part, but for the most part I'd rather click my power once and take a sip of my drink

Yeah but I can also just superspeed to the base portal and go anywhere in Paragon, Rogue Isles, or Praetoria from my base. Or activate the teleport to base once every seven years.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I know this game has the issue at multiple points, but it's really hilarious doing DA's arc only after I already got +3. I'm rocking through missions without pause at +2/x8, my pets (crab) can solo a whole group while I aoe down a second in like, 15-20 seconds.

Meanwhile the story and contacts are all WE ARE DOOMED, EVERYTHING IS OVER, THIS IS YOUR GREATEST CHALLENGE YET!

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 30, 2019

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Sea Lily posted:

everyone told me energy melee was bad. but what they didnt tell me is it was also fun. made an energy/energy brute tonight and these attacks feel really satisfying. if there's buffs coming, bring them on

this is rad. what pants are those

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Looks like Elemental Order, which is a tucked-in pants style.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would just like this thread to know that I hate the Calvin Scott fight a lot. I'll help goons with it but I got tricked twice by pubbies who had no idea, the latter team leaving me with a chunk of xp debt as thanks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
God, it really is ridiculous how much easier it is to get Incarnate stuff going now. I've had absolute poo poo luck for component drops (nothing better than uncommon, between multiple arcs and trials alike) but even then I've got at least rares in every slot in no time at all. A far cry from live where I had to struggle for each and every goddamn power and suffer through endless obnoxious trial runs.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i'm sad you can't slot Ninja Run cause I want the pose for my Dual Blades stalker but it is ridiculously expensive to run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
As someone who wouldn't have probably taken LRT if I weren't playing a Warshade (they either get it as a freebie or it's easy to pick up if you're levelling tri-form, can't remember), I've already found it extremely nice to have.

I can also speak a little bit to the experience of playing one: it's been fun so far, it's a very unique AT compared to anything else CoH has to offer (and I can't really think of any other MMOs that have something quite this intricate before max-level shenanigans), and having the "MFing Warshade" guide to follow has both made leveling choices less overwhelming (there are a lot of options at pretty much every level) and helped me dip a toe into set bonuses as someone who never really dicked around with Invention, IO sets, or the AH back on live.

Like, this is the basic idea where I'm at (level 32):
I've got two PBAoEs, one in Human & one in Dwarf, that grant a Build-Up-size damage boost for each enemy in the vicinity when I pop it off - Human Form's lasts longer, Dwarf's recharges faster. If I can hit 3+ enemies, I'll fire the Human one; quickchange into Dwarf and fire that one; then swap into Nova form and potentially get off ~3 AoEs (with Nova's innate +ToHit bonus). Then I can stay in Nova to clean up survivors, swap back into Dwarf to reapply the PBAoE if I'm still taking fire (three-slotted with Resists it's a passable Tanker-Lite), or swap into human to apply two Controller-Lite holds, a beefy AoE with Stun (that requires a corpse: awesome for clean-up, useless as alpha strike), summon a pet (also requires a corpse), or fire off a PBAoE that refills health and End (per corpse it hits). The piece de resistance is a power I don't have yet - Eclipse, another PBAoE that works off of (living) enemies and boosts Resists to true Tanker levels across all three forms(!).

Most of the MFing Warshade revolves around combining the strengths of all three forms and 'stance-dancing' to, essentially, be a Blaster/Controller with genuine tankiness (~60+% of the time). And most of the fun of putting together IO sets is +Recharge: more recharge speed keeps Hasten up more often which keeps Eclipse (the +Resist power) more and lets you layer the holds, the pets, and especially the Mires (the Human and Dwarf +Damage power). (Even with my limited speed buffs, the Nova AoEs can already be cycled pretty much as fast as I can fire 'em, and the heal & pet are up for every mob / every other mob).

I assume this 'Human-only when you're tricked-out at Level 50' talk is because once you've got Eclipse perma'd and accuracy out the wazoo, the bonuses of the respective forms aren't worth the hassle of switching away from the form that has all the key powers - and since Dwarf Mire's duration was apparently meaningfully nerfed after Mr. MFing was writing his guide, it's not really possible to have more than a few seconds of overlap on Dwarf Mires (if that), so you can't pull off the ridiculousness of 1 Human Mire + 2x Dwarf Mires on Nova attacks.

Edit: really, the only downside to Warshade atm is that, while I can fire farm without issue for an hour or more, something about trying to play my Warshade makes my computer crash like whoa. Like, I've been having instability issues for a week now, but it seems to be worst when I'm on this one character. Anybody else experiencing crashes-to-desktop lately, or have suggestions for what I might try? (I've tried a lot of different things, to no avail so far :( )

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 30, 2019