Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

Not sure why believing in the power of crystals or astral plane projection is any more strange than believing in angels or demons and that a god raised a person from the dead after dying on a cross.

This is the best post you've ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

It’s ok, the Marianne stans will be punished in due time like the Basta stans, for they have forsaken the One True Church of the Bern.

And I will be right here to rub their faces in it too, completely without apology for my schadenfreude. I never liked that motherfucker either and stuck right by my suggestion that maybe just because a con man says he agrees with you and hates who you hate, that does not confer any sort of honesty or integrity to him whatsoever. People were taken in. They paid the price in shame. And they will again.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gripweed posted:

What's wrong in that post?

I didn’t say it was wrong, did I?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if Sanders would pick up Harris as VP, or if she'd even accept that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

I didn’t say it was wrong, did I?

How is it a gimmick then? It's just an accurate statement

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder if Sanders would pick up Harris as VP

No world this will happen :toxx:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Honestly I'm mad with Marianne for bailing Pete out of Swalwell's attempted knifing.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

How are u posted:

:lol: of course the same ol circular firing squad crowd is rallying behind the anti-vax candidate. Of course.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Someone call Marie Kando cause this thread is a loving mess

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

drat it KM first you're anti-yang, and now you're anti-marianne?! You're gonna miss out on the healing crystals AND the $1000!!! D:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gripweed posted:

How is it a gimmick then? It's just an accurate statement

Because Marianne is still bad but for reasons unrelated to what was stated.

The fact that she’s still better on the issues than the vast majority of Democrats when she isn’t babbling about space magic is deeply damning of the party at large. But she’s still a crystal magic crazy person.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Because Marianne is still bad but for reasons unrelated to what was stated.

The fact that she’s still better on the issues than the vast majority of Democrats when she isn’t babbling about space magic is deeply damning of the party at large. But she’s still a crystal magic crazy person.

I like playing magical space stan in C-SPAM but yes that sums up my feelings perfectly.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

drat it KM first you're anti-yang, and now you're anti-marianne?! You're gonna miss out on the healing crystals AND the $1000!!! D:

Literally me rn

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Jon Joe posted:

I like playing magical space stan in C-SPAM but yes that sums up my feelings perfectly.

As it does mine.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If anything the debates last night showed that you do your oppo research if you're running a campaign. Biden didn't and he died on stage; Harris did and she took down a titan.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

VH4Ever posted:

I have to disagree with LK. I find this gimmick insipid, tiring, uninspired, and rage inducing. Oh, and stupid as gently caress. Liberal.

Wow you're such a grumpy old man. It's almost like you forgot you're on a comedy forum.

Beside weren't you the rear end in a top hat who got his panty in a knot over the best anti-imperalism candidate?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I have no patience for Williamson but honestly I wish Bernie had 1/10 of her fire, determination and confidence.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I will Stan Williamson because she’s the only one brave enough to face Trump in the astral planes and win, banishing him to the shadow realm forever :colbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas March posted:

Literally me rn

Is the show any good?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Do we have any real confirmation that Biden is dropping in the polls other than the one teasing tweet shook Nate sent out? I'm not really convinced it's done anything yet...

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Luckyellow posted:

Wow you're such a grumpy old man. It's almost like you forgot you're on a comedy forum.

Beside weren't you the rear end in a top hat who got his panty in a knot over the best anti-imperalism candidate?

Pretty sure the guy who got banned for melting down in the Homestuck thread shouldn't cast the first stone

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is the show any good?

It is!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Feldegast42 posted:

Do we have any real confirmation that Biden is dropping in the polls other than the one teasing tweet shook Nate sent out? I'm not really convinced it's done anything yet...

We probably won't see the real impact of the debates until next week.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Koalas March posted:

Pretty sure the guy who got banned for melting down in the Homestuck thread shouldn't cast the first stone

It turns out that I was right about Homestuck in the end. Imagine trying to use Homestuck in 2019 as a character attack lmao

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Weirdos obsessed with trolls are far better than weirdos obsessed with liberalism.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Luckyellow posted:

It turns out that I was right about Homestuck in the end. Imagine trying to use Homestuck in 2019 as a character attack lmao

Says guy who said "you're on a comedy forum" in 2019 unironically 😂

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is the show any good?

Surprisingly so, yes. S2 is much, much better than S1 though.

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder if Sanders would pick up Harris as VP, or if she'd even accept that

I actually think it's possible, although I wouldn't call it likely, at least atm. She's probably more useful in the Senate.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Real talk: with so many people trying to hide their bigotry and terrible opinions behind the "comedy forum" label a few years ago it was like the forums version of "it's just a prank bro!" and you can bet anyone saying it is probably a piece of poo poo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
homestuck, much like the 2019 democratic primary, needs at least two thirds of the characters removed

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Real talk: with so many people trying to hide their bigotry and terrible opinions behind the "comedy forum" label a few years ago it was like the forums version of "it's just a prank bro!" and you can bet anyone saying it is probably a piece of poo poo

Sounds like you just have to learn to take a joke - and yes, the punchline of that joke is white supremacy.:smug:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Feldegast42 posted:

He has been gradually slipping since he declared, but I expect to see more of an accurate gauge of how the debate affected him next week

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Lightning Knight posted:

It’s too bad Kuncinich finally cancelled himself for good last night with his bullshit whining about the race card lmao.

Also I actually change my mind, I respect you unhinged Warren anti-communist rant guy, at least you’re honest about your liberalism and why you think what you think.

Holy poo poo yeah. I got lucky to take a nap today day too. Took it completely off (lucky me I can do that) Got a chance to watch the latest Bill Maher, that was a doozy. Reminded me of a PM argument I got into with someone on SA about 6 years ago.

I’m gonna apologize again, this time after a nap and some coffee. I’m really actually getting scared by this in and out grouping on the internet, and in person. I used to say ask academia, but that’s kinda getting buried now in the insanity that is public discourse.

This whole debate is pretty terrifying to me, I’m gonna go on board saying that no matter how much I love Bernie, he’s gonna get hamstrung by the party again. If Debbie picked Hill-Dawg to win and that helped to catapult us into the insane hell timeline that is often joked about here, I can see no reason Tom won’t do the same for Liz.

I’m gonna go on record here, saying it probably not first, without toxxing because who needs it.
Most of this stuff isn’t gonna play out for a while anyways.
(I’m gonna scrape together some money for the Tax man this week anyways).

1. Warren is going to get the nomination unless there is some kind of gigantic sea change in politics over the next year and a half. Bill Maher said it today to great applause, Bernie is an American hero. I can’t say the only sure shot Democrat’s have is Oprah, but I’ve loved Warren since the financial crisis that defined my generation. Me and my my wife are gonna send in 40 bucks for a pair of T-shirt’s... my wife’s got a plan we worked together on, and I’m really proud of that.

2. Biden never wanted to do any of this, he’s under enormous pressure to just say anything. “We’re gonna cure cancer!”??
If the last few decades of Gingrich style “total war” politics hadn’t happened, yes, people in the house and senate would work together to pass legislation, even if some of the people on either side -RIGHTLY- see the other as being abhorrent.

Which brings me to my next point

3. Public discourse is broken. It’s broken here, it’s broken on Facebook, Twitter, in person (if it still exists). It’s split families and ruined people’s sanity. Lol, metaphorically, raise your hand if you know someone who’s mental health has suffered because of the 24 hour news cycle and increased polarization, polarization of not just politics but in ALL DISCUSSION, of the last few years. I’m starting to get really scared that we’re gonna start a war or something over loving coke vs. pepsi. We gotta slow down with our judgments.
Me first.

4. Holy poo poo Koala, I only saw that picture of yours I’ve seen before, before I put down my iPad and sat in someone else’s yard and drank some coffee. I’ve never posted in the great race space, but I read there, and I TOTALY AGREE THAT RACE IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT. Man, I’m a white passing Chicano in San Diego who didn’t know my family heritage until I was in my 30’s. I have some really great memories of being a 3rd grader in barrio Logan saying that I was German, not knowing what a Nazi was, and being equated with them in front of a do nothing teacher. Man, I’ve been categorized and profiled my whole life, by police, my neighbors and so on. I’m TOTALLY OK THAT THE RACIST WHITE POWER STRUCTURE IS BREAKING DOWN. Like, loving really man, I hate it, and I swear on my Masonic oath I’m not just a keyboard warrior, I try my damnedest to have civil discussion with my fellow human being about this incredibly touchy subject. I’m gonna ask you, not because I’m insulted cause lol, gently caress me, but man, please: If you want to see “white” people give up their ignorance, that’s not gonna be how it happens. I really had a nice person, a very nice person who is kind and has taken a whole lot of abuse say to me in confidence, that they really don’t understand why it’s not ok for white people to be seen like a team. Just a simple team, like Asian people or Black people or what have you. This person got a very gentle explanation, my eyes full of all the love I could muster for them, about how the current idea of white people is actually really new, and that it used to include only Northernmost Europeans. I have no idea how well this worked but ffs man, come on, there’s got to be a lot of “I wish I had it this easy” on the way down the road of social justice, or we’re just gonna push people back into their little camps.

gently caress. Wall of text done. Full stop. I’m not coming back to this thread for at least a year to revisit these posts.

Thanks LK, you actually thought about a terrible fever dream I had enough to respect me.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Solvent, I don't expect white people to give up anything. That's why I'm occasionally pleasantly surprised, but never disappointed. White people want to hold on to their privilege with an iron fist. Which is exactly the problem???

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

2016 the most ridiculous thing that could happen was that television personality Donald Trump would win the Republican nomination and then the White House.

2020 the most ridiculous thing that could happen is that television personality Marianne Williamson wins the Democratic nomination and then the White House.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

have you seen my baby posted:

2016 the most ridiculous thing that could happen was that television personality Donald Trump would win the Republican nomination and then the White House.

2020 the most ridiculous thing that could happen is that television personality Marianne Williamson wins the Democratic nomination and then the White House.

Nah, at this point Beto winning anything going forward would be more ridiculous.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pewdiepie gets elected in 2028 and institutes full fascism

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

fwiw I think Donald Trump was a lot less ridiculous a thing than people were/are making it out to be - white nationalism has been here since pre-founding of the nation and never went away - while Williamson doesn't have anywhere near such an enduring base of potential support and thus is ridiculous in the more conventional sense

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Luckyellow posted:

Funny, I don't even need to say anything. You already got owned by KM.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Funny, I don't even need to say anything. You already got owned by KM.

Irrespective of any bullshit with Luckyellow, you were wrong to be upset by Gravel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Koalas March posted:

Solvent, I don't expect white people to give up anything. That's why I'm occasionally pleasantly surprised, but never disappointed. White people want to hold on to their privilege with an iron fist. Which is exactly the problem???

The worst part of the discourse elevating racial privilege but suppressing class is that it just made white people more desperate to cling their their perceived privilege even if the value has dropped from 'guaranteed entry in the middle class as long as you go through the proper motions' to 'maybe won't be shot by the cops as much'. It's been entirely in cooperation with the fascist narrative that as long as you conform you will be rewarded even when it stopped being true when the Cold War ended and capitalism didn't need to try anymore.