Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I've been trying to punch the sun behind me for several hours, no progress yet

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Spermando posted:

I need some clarification on a couple of things that happened in today's episode.
Diavolo was hiding in Trish's body and used the time skip to get closer to Mista's body so he could grab Spice Girl. Did I get that right? Also, does Diavolo kakyoining Spice Girl not affect him at all? If Trish dies, he won't have a body to possess.

I assume the plan is when Diavolo claims the arrow, that will destroy Requiem and return his soul to his original body, which hasn't been punched yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Does that mean three more recap episodes? :v:

Ironically it’s probably the 3 recap episodes we’ve already had that have lost them their timeslot by overrunning the series.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The way I always imagined it is that damaging your Stand is damaging the soul, and the damage transfers to the body. But when there's two souls in one body, punching a hole through one soul transfers only half the damage to the body as the soul only has dominion over half the body. So Spice Girl takes 100% of the damage while both Mista's body and King Crimson takes 50%.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

King Crimson is the most overpowered piece of poo poo on earth, this part loving sucks

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Im enjoying it. It has a very classic unexpected last fight escalation (emergence of demons? wtf?) that ups the stakes and has wild wacky art.

None of this series is on the level. It's bizzare and it's great.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My Jojo prediction was right, I figured he was sharing a body with Trish :toot:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Like we've had OP stands before but they were at least attached to good villains

Diavolo is just a boring piece of poo poo so he isn't even fun to hate, he's just bad.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Diavolo would be much more intimidating if this body swapping gimmick didnt completely undermine his physical presence.

Diavolo's body has had more screentime being inhabited by Buccaretti than Diavolo himself.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Honestly it seems a lot like diavolo IS king crimson

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Which I guess makes sense since right now he’s a soul without a body but with a stand

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

part 5 is (relatively) bad because the secondary antagonists far outshine both the protagonists as well as diavolo. bruno and giorno are basically "cool competent guys who sometimes freak out but quickly regain their composure" and might as well be the same character. Diavolo is just whatever compared to those that come before and after him. Trish is also woefully underutilized., and the first half has one or two many allies.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Like we've had OP stands before but they were at least attached to good villains

Diavolo is just a boring piece of poo poo so he isn't even fun to hate, he's just bad.

If it makes you feel any better the rest of Jojo’s villains are excellent.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Thumbtacks posted:

Honestly it seems a lot like diavolo IS king crimson

For all intents and purposes, that has basically been the case for most of this part. It's not often we get a full idea of what a Stand can do before we meet the user.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

For all intents and purposes, that has basically been the case for most of this part. It's not often we get a full idea of what a Stand can do before we meet the user.

Yeah, Diavolo is almost more a creepy, implacable force than a real man, and doesn't give a poo poo about his body or other personality, so it makes total sense he'd feel most comfortable embodied purely through his stand. King Crimson is sheer power, and privacy and stability are his obsessions, but power is the only thing Diavolo really cares about or identifies with.

On that note, I love how just as soon as we see the Boss's real form, said form starts running around as one of the good guys right out in broad daylight.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

comedyblissoption posted:

The interpretation I like is that the arrow or stands bestow powers that are a manifestation of a user's inner desires, especially at that moment. Like Bite Za Dusto is a perfect manifestation of David Bowie's heart and worries at that very moment. What I'm trying to say here is polnareff really wanted to be a turtle.

That fan theory really irritates me because Polnareff's selflessness and his sense of justice have been his defining traits for as long as we've known him. There are two times when other people die to save his life (and one time where a person has the appearance of doing so) and each time, Polnareff grieves for them and says that he should have died, not them. I really don't believe that Polnareff would, on any level, wish for a power like Silver Chariot Requiem, which is an uncontrollable stand with an extremely high potential for collateral damage, up to the point of (Episode 36 spoiler)being on the verge of eradicating life as we know it on Earth

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Daxing Dan posted:

That fan theory really irritates me because Polnareff's selflessness and his sense of justice have been his defining traits for as long as we've known him. There are two times when other people die to save his life (and one time where a person has the appearance of doing so) and each time, Polnareff grieves for them and says that he should have died, not them. I really don't believe that Polnareff would, on any level, wish for a power like Silver Chariot Requiem, which is an uncontrollable stand with an extremely high potential for collateral damage, up to the point of (Episode 36 spoiler)being on the verge of eradicating life as we know it on Earth

His wish was to protect the arrow. The issue with Requiem is that Polnareff can't control it. Like it's not a subconscious issue, He is just too weak at this point to control Requiem and so it's gone berserk and is using the power of the arrow to threaten the world.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Plus the whole requiem thing is clearly an entirely different process than what normally happens when the arrow pierces a person.

Chariot Requiem doesnt even register Polnareff as a stand user let alone it's stand user why would it be a manifestation of any part of him. He managed to order it to protect the arrow before he lost control but thats all hes got.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
ok that one hurt my head but i just cant
gosh dangit Trish hang in there girl :saddowns:

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

I've read the rest of the series without reading part 5 and punching the sun soul on the back of your head makes no loving sense, still cool poo poo though

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

IDONTPOST posted:

I've read the rest of the series without reading part 5 and punching the sun soul on the back of your head makes no loving sense, still cool poo poo though

Just imagine a shadow creating the light that frames it instead of the light creating the shadow that obscures it.

Requiem is the real "It Just Works" poo poo

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Daxing Dan posted:

Nah, it's a monkey's paw type idea. The thing he wanted more than anything at the moment was a way to stop Diavolo from getting the arrow, so his stand became hyper focused on protecting the arrow at all costs and would even turn people's stands against themselves. Presumably if he didn't lose control of Silver Chariot, which is implied to be because getting super hosed up by Diavolo left him weakened and unable to use his stand properly anymore, he'd be able to use Silver Chariot Requiem without loving everyone up.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also I was gonna say a moment ago "man why didn't Jotaro introduce Polnareff to Josuke and fix him up" but I realized Polnareff went deep underground after his Diavolo encounter to avoid giving away that he survived didn't he?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well uh. With Chariot Requiem getting blown to bits by KC destroying the sun behind his head does this mean that the Requiem powers stop working and people will get swapped back? I mean we do see Diavolos original body fight with Giorno in the OP, sooooooo...

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Glagha posted:

Nah, it's a monkey's paw type idea. The thing he wanted more than anything at the moment was a way to stop Diavolo from getting the arrow, so his stand became hyper focused on protecting the arrow at all costs and would even turn people's stands against themselves. Presumably if he didn't lose control of Silver Chariot, which is implied to be because getting super hosed up by Diavolo left him weakened and unable to use his stand properly anymore, he'd be able to use Silver Chariot Requiem without loving everyone up.

I realize that Silver Chariot Requiem itself just mindlessly attempts to protect the arrow, but I just don't think its powers came about as a specific response to that. While Polnareff is hiding on the farm, under no particular pressure or immediate threat, he still gets the same Chariot Requiem that starts by putting people to sleep. It just seems to be his thing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Between Cheap Trick and Superfly it's not as if uncontrollable stands that are not what you wanted are a new thing.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Does it even matter? What's important is that the only way to beat a bullshit stand like KC was to pull a bullshit checkmate and make the world break itself, mostly by accident. P cool imo.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Ok what the gently caress was that.

I mean, I don't need an explanation, in theory I understand everything that happened. Just... What the gently caress.

It's like Araki had ideas and he just decided to cram them all in into the final arc. I guess this is a cool bullshit climax for a part with so much (very entertaining, don't get me wrong) bullshit

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I agree with everyone saying this part sucks and Diavolo and King Crimson suck and the convolutedness of it all takes the fun out of it. Really feels like the author was writing by the seat of his pants

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

King crimson is cool, diavolo is not. If the big twist was king crimson is a sentient stand like Anubis was and diavolo is just some rear end in a top hat he stuck himself to I'd love this part way more.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
we all have suns behind us and let's give this baby 8 eyes for no reason

oh and you can punch the sun and it explodes
I assume baby works the same way

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Just imagine a shadow creating the light that frames it instead of the light creating the shadow that obscures it.

This actually explains it better than anything else I’ve seen

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like how it goes unremarked both in the plot and by the characters that Diavolo beat Chariot Requiem by punching and destroying his own soul, which was a magical lightbulb behind his head.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Archenteron posted:

these words together mean nothing but it's cool as hell the boss is a big strong smart dude

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Metallica is such a nightmarish fight. Triple so when animated.

I cried loving hard at Abacchio's death.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jun 29, 2019

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

I love distressed epitaph.

King Crimson is a goldmine of reaction images.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's a shame there's so much bullshit in the episode, because Giorno using the blood he left behind when his arm was severed to create termites that destroy the arrow shaft is a pretty cool and logical use of Gold Experience for once. I mean King Crimson is a ghost so neither the ants nor blood should even be able to touch him but, y'know, good try.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Gold Experience already touched the blood, so now it's magic blood that can touch ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Metallica is such a nightmarish fight. Triple so when animated.

I cried loving hard at Abacchio's death.

His death was so stupid though. We'll leave you completely unguarded while you do the incredibly important task that leaves you completely open to attack while we... search the area for clues.