Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Margaret Wente, "a perfectly nice person"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So what is Quillette? A safe space for Jorp fanboys to circlejerk amongst themselves and pretend they're intellectuals?

I've only started hearing about them recently and every single thing I've heard from or about them is just utter garbage.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

So what is Quillette? A safe space for Jorp fanboys to circlejerk amongst themselves and pretend they're intellectuals?

I've only started hearing about them recently and every single thing I've heard from or about them is just utter garbage.

It's alt-right medium.com, except anyone can post anything they want on medium.com and Quillette is theoretically a magazine with an editor who nods and approves all the alt-right content.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Most of them do.
I cornered Cullen in a townhall ages ago and he talked up those same issues. But it’s just talk. The party leadership keeps any MP from going too far left. So they’ll talk up a big game in intimate settings but it never plays into the official party line.

https://soundcloud.com/boys-in-short-pants/episode-76-cullen-it-quits

I think Cullen explains a lot of his philosophy of politics and what constrains them. He mentions something that Helsing has mentioned in the past in so much as that rank and file union members are not always with the leadership when it is left wing and it constrains the NDP's politics. Not saying Cullen is a great by any means but this is a pretty interesting look into his thought pattern.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

PT6A posted:

8 chan with real names and a bowtie.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Quillette: "Conservatives" are often unfairly maligned as fascists and Nazis! The real problem today is "SJWs" calling people Nazis maybe inaccurately
Also Quillette:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It really is unfair to the American Nazi Party to slander them with that vulgar term. FOR SHAME!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

gotta say though, it was good of them to blow Meghan Murphy's cover like that by admitting she is conservative

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You know you hosed up when you’re on the same list as David Duke and the American Nazi Party.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What's the yellow, I don't see the pattern?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What's the yellow, I don't see the pattern?

They're calling actual self identified Nazis and KKK members "Conservatives"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

folytopo posted:

https://soundcloud.com/boys-in-short-pants/episode-76-cullen-it-quits

I think Cullen explains a lot of his philosophy of politics and what constrains them. He mentions something that Helsing has mentioned in the past in so much as that rank and file union members are not always with the leadership when it is left wing and it constrains the NDP's politics. Not saying Cullen is a great by any means but this is a pretty interesting look into his thought pattern.

This is a good listen, ty!

lol @ the story he tells about John Baird near the end of the podcast which he qualifies as "I haven't told this story very much, or hardly at all", I think this is the third time I hear it.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Imagine making a list of unjustly banned Conservatives and then making sure to type up and include Tila loving Tequila.

I do believe that in this author we have found the rare instance of somebody having even worse brain damage than Tila Tequila.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I didn't highlight Tila because she has brain damage. Plausible deniability

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

THC posted:

I didn't highlight Tila because she has brain damage. Plausible deniability

You didn't (because you are not a simpleton) but he did. In fact his inclusion is way worse because it implied he actively sought her out as an example of a Conservative voice that needs to be heard.

Tila "There are only two things in this world, for which I would gladly sacrifice my own life; the destruction of all Jews and preservation of the white race" Tequila.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

he did this in the, i must stress again, "regular mainstream conservatives are unfairly called Nazis" online magazine

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I got a call from the idiot replacing Nazi sympathizer Alex Nuttall today that just automatically went to a prerecorded message wishing me a happy Canada day oh and please visit his website which totally isnt his campaign website.

I picked up halfway through the message to yell "pick up you coward" before hanging up so I dont know what else was there but I know theres 2 other people here that live in my riding so be warned, its starting already.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cowofwar posted:

You know you hosed up when you’re on the same list as David Duke and the American Nazi Party.

At least David Duke is loving honest about his bullshit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
*looks at highlighted list of known white supremacists, KKK members, and neo-Nazis*

...I don't get it, what do they have in common?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It's actually a pro-level troll to put all those people on the same list and label them as "Conservatives"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A massive re-insurance corporation just announced they're walking away from the tar-sands and anything tar-sands related out of environmental liability concerns, that's huge and may trickle down through the entire insurance industry.

I've often thought the biggest driver for saving the drat earth from within our capitalist hell framework could be the insurance industry. They directly profit or suffer from long term disaster risks and liabilities. If the government guides them in the direction that oil companies might actually be on the hook in the future for damage from climate change, that's going to result in massive increases to premiums or companies not even wanting to touch the industry.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Or it's all a sales pitch to get them into "ethical investment" portfolios

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

A massive re-insurance corporation just announced they're walking away from the tar-sands and anything tar-sands related out of environmental liability concerns, that's huge and may trickle down through the entire insurance industry.

I've often thought the biggest driver for saving the drat earth from within our capitalist hell framework could be the insurance industry. They directly profit or suffer from long term disaster risks and liabilities. If the government guides them in the direction that oil companies might actually be on the hook in the future for damage from climate change, that's going to result in massive increases to premiums or companies not even wanting to touch the industry.

That's pretty massive. I worked with a rep from DNV GL briefly this winter and they really control the purse strings of the entire renewables industry. Nobody is building or operating high-liability multi-billion dollar infrastructure like this without these backers.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Or it's all a sales pitch to get them into "ethical investment" portfolios

You mean like Ethical Oil(tm)?

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
It's already going to the Supreme Court as a result of the Saskatchewan case, but the Ontario Court of Appeal released its decision on the carbon tax today, holding 4-1 that it's constitutional:

http://www.ontariocourts.ca/decisions/2019/2019ONCA0544.htm

The analysis is slightly different than the SKCA case, but the end result is basically the same - the federal government has the jurisdiction to establish minimum standards for GHG pricing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wait I thought every province that went against the feds were being told "lol, gently caress you, you're implementing a carbon tax" did something different happen with Saskatchewan?

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Aces High posted:

Wait I thought every province that went against the feds were being told "lol, gently caress you, you're implementing a carbon tax" did something different happen with Saskatchewan?

Saskatchewan challenged the federal carbon tax, and the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal found it to be constitutional back in early May. The Saskatchewan case is already being appealed to the Supreme Court, which makes the Ontario case somewhat moot.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm not surprised, but christ.

Leaked internal report says Ford government botched new autism program and misled public about the waiting list

quote:

An internal review of changes to Ontario’s autism program calls for an immediate reset, saying the government purposely spread misinformation about the costs and the backlog for treatment to justify a funding model that would leave families “destitute.”

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/l_stone/status/1144666166155259905

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

No you see it's actually good that people are allowed to talk about what a useless shitheel I am

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/airbnb-other-home-sharing-remove-1000-homes-from-rental-market-study-says

So in local news an article was done about how Airbnb is strangling the rental market in Ottawa and Canada. One of the people interviewed for the article was my former landlord, Mr Vasdi, and he complains about how horrible his experience was renting to people rather than turning his house into an Airbnb.

I'm wondering if I should contact the Citizen to tell them about how he gave me and the other tenants three weeks notice that he was turning the property into an Airbnb and that if we didn't like it we could give our notice and vacate the premises. Or the long, long list of other grievances the other tenants had with his passive aggressive harassment of us during our time there. And all of it is in long email chains.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

flakeloaf posted:

No you see it's actually good that people are allowed to talk about what a useless shitheel I am

Also the person that wrote that report is now uhhhh seeking other career opportunities.

Whistles are allowed to be blown but only once!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm wondering if I should contact the Citizen to tell them about how he gave me and the other tenants three weeks notice that he was turning the property into an Airbnb and that if we didn't like it we could give our notice and vacate the premises. Or the long, long list of other grievances the other tenants had with his passive aggressive harassment of us during our time there. And all of it is in long email chains.

:justpost:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/airbnb-other-home-sharing-remove-1000-homes-from-rental-market-study-says

So in local news an article was done about how Airbnb is strangling the rental market in Ottawa and Canada. One of the people interviewed for the article was my former landlord, Mr Vasdi, and he complains about how horrible his experience was renting to people rather than turning his house into an Airbnb.

Absolutely. Do it. Give that fucker the :guillotine:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't we quote the Dead Kennedys just two pages back?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/james_m_wilt/status/1144728087285960706?s=19

Where's that one dril tweet when I need it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Baronjutter posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson has a novel that features re-insurers as major players against climate change. They take a lot more direct action than just disinvesting, though. I think it was something like trying to increase the albedo of the Arctic, or resalting the North Atlantic? Maybe both. Robinson loves megaprojects in his books.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

bub spank posted:

Saskatchewan challenged the federal carbon tax, and the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal found it to be constitutional back in early May. The Saskatchewan case is already being appealed to the Supreme Court, which makes the Ontario case somewhat moot.

Ontario is still going through with their appeal for some reason. :shrug:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1142831413302972416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

That's not it, juggalos are good now.