Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Warthur posted:

Shall we all assume 10 pages of magechat happens here and move past it?
Yeah, I was kinda hoping that’d be the outcome, but also nobody had done it for a while and I couldn’t resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Warthur posted:

A game about steampunk advocates of unfashionable cosmologies rebelling against modern science sounds fun to me! It also doesn't suggest "wizards".

This sounds exactly like modern magic to me, in all honesty. And I would play the hell out of it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Metapod posted:

alright yall i confronted him i think it went well

hell yeah!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Warthur posted:

- If you're doing a radical update of Ascension anyway, do you need the Technocracy? Does it make sense for them to be the antagonist faction when the major IRL antagonists out there include Moon Landing deniers, anti-vaxxers and Flat Earthers among their number?

"Antagonists". These are the PCs defying the powers that be.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like having "wizards" who aren't obviously "magic users" is important, though.

The Sixth Watchtower of Close-up Magic and Horoscopes.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

My opinion is that if Mage: The Ascension wants to have more than a vague, self-contradictory and weirdly right-wing idea of how politics and ideology work, it can't be about fighting for the right to functional Brain Force Plus pills and against Jewish Physics.

If you want to make Ascension only by tortured analogy about fighting to change the world by changing ideology, then stick with the whole 'flat earth heroes, assemble!' But it really is a tortured analogy: 'every part of this metaphor looks exactly like the right wing's conspiracy theories about science and modern culture, but since we as creators and players know that it's about antifascism, that's really what it is despite the framework being also perfect for describing climate denialism as the hero.' It's just a lot of work, and also not a good look.

Ascension would be a different game if 'magical traditions' really meant 'magical traditions' and not 'the UFOs are real, also race science can be real, stop suppressing my theories!'

Also frankly 'actual scientists who are fighting for climate action now' are much more interesting and anti-authoritarian than the denialists as a model, and are facing more actual suppression (Like murder).

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 28, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

nofather posted:

The Sixth Watchtower of Close-up Magic and Horoscopes.

This is a way better post than my :words: and I salute you

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lord_Hambrose posted:

"Antagonists". These are the PCs defying the powers that be.

if you are suggesting that people should want to play flat earthers, anti-vaxxers and so on, uh

no? no.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you want to play a game where being a dysfunctional weirdo with an idiosyncratic world view makes you a wizard, and allows for the possibility that you might save the world from itself, Unknown Armies is right there.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

if you are suggesting that people should want to play flat earthers, anti-vaxxers and so on, uh

no? no.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you want to play a game where being a dysfunctional weirdo with an idiosyncratic world view makes you a wizard, and allows for the possibility that you might save the world from itself, Unknown Armies is right there.

Ars Magica is the only game about wizards worth playing, frankly.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Warthur posted:

If 1E Mage had gone to press without the Hollow Ones, Sons of Ether or Virtual Adepts, nobody would be saying "Hang on, this game is woefully incomplete because it's missing out entire iconic archetypes of what we consider wizards to be!" because of the lack of goths, steampunk scientists, and Neuromancer-style hackers.

The Hollow Ones were just the Caitiff of the Mage line, people out of the mainstream of Mage society. That always needed to be an option in Mage.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Ars Magica is the only game about wizards worth playing, frankly.

:wrong: Awakening is right here in this thread

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

ulmont posted:

The Hollow Ones were just the Caitiff of the Mage line, people out of the mainstream of Mage society. That always needed to be an option in Mage.

Yes, but Orphans were a better solution.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The problem is that the Hollow Ones equate "none of the above" with a laser-specific and annoying take on 90's goth club culture. They were annoying even then and they have zero traction in the present.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ascension has aged very badly in a very idiosyncratic way. Hollow Ones are probably the biggest indicator of this, but so much of the rest in what what Ascension is trying to be feels somewhere between quaint and exasperating nowadays because its feel, themes, and position are all aggressively 90s. If you really wanted to update it for the modern day you'd have to do some really heavy pruning and replanting. Mage in 2019 needs to account for the fact that the assumptions behind the pitch of the Traditions vs Technocracy simply no longer works and to account for that maybe it would be a good idea to recast the factions and maybe accept that there's going to be dissent as to who the "good" and "bad" sides are and perhaps you should even lean into that and try to make it more personal so it's up to the individual players and indeed the various Mages in the orders to figure out what they want and what the ascension of the world should even look like and...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, basically this.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

Yes, but Orphans were a better solution.

Exactly, having them automatically be goths is the sort of poo poo a really shallow, obvious parody of a WoD game would do but lo and behold, only three games deep into the line and already the reality is even more ridiculous than the jokes.

EDIT: Then again, I am the guy who ran a Unknown Armies game where Mak Attax ended up heavily infiltrating the juggalo subculture so maybe I'm not one to talk here.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 28, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Warthur posted:

EDIT: Then again, I am the guy who ran a Unknown Armies game where Mak Attax ended up heavily infiltrating the juggalo subculture so maybe I'm not one to talk here.

Yeah, but that only makes sense.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, but that only makes sense.
My inspiration was realising that "Miracles" is literally the Mak Attax manifesto.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hollowers as endlessly shifting through subcultures and finding magic in the zeitgeist is a cool idea, especially as the internet fractures culture and subcultures into a kaleidoscopic rainbow of variations and permutations.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The fundamental purpose of the Technocracy is that it's based on, spreads, and draws power FROM conspiracy theories. For example, the Black Suits are soulless government homonculi originally created through ALCHEMY. The Technocracy takes things that are wonderful spiritual pursuits (attempting to usurp/emulate the divine through repeating the act of creation) and makes them mass-produced weapons of terror (soulless clones to find you and coerce you into denying miracles, because to shame a man is worse than death).

Like, the only "good" Agent in NWO Revised is the "Glenn Beck is a deep cover government plant who has realized that his masters are monsters who seek the total conquests of the human spirit and is fighting the system from within through passive aggressive sabotage." the others are FYGMillenial, the prisoner of war who was tortured until he broke and was remade into a trained killer, and Wil Wheaton.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Pope Guilty posted:

Hollowers as endlessly shifting through subcultures and finding magic in the zeitgeist is a cool idea, especially as the internet fractures culture and subcultures into a kaleidoscopic rainbow of variations and permutations.

The best way to rework asscension would be to make the hollows less goth and have them be the protagonists. The traditions are the old guard who are kind of on your side but ultimately failed and are now stuck in their ways.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

neaden posted:

The best way to rework asscension would be to make the hollows less goth and have them be the protagonists. The traditions are the old guard who are kind of on your side but ultimately failed and are now stuck in their ways.

I, too, despair about the Democratic party.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I realized a while ago that the modern equivalent of the Hollow Ones are the people making complex troll zodiacs on Tumblr.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I feel like if you wanted to fresh this stuff up you actually want to step a little bit back from the reification of the zeitgeist, both because the zeitgeist now moves so fast that by the time your book is published it has moved on, BUT ALSO because it's gonna look just as dumb in ten years, and you can never play Mage or whatever for the first time again.

But it can still be the first time for other people, and the experience can be valuable even if it's no longer brand new.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Metapod posted:

alright yall i confronted him i think it went well

Well this situation wouldn't have arisen if youd picked consensualist. It's really the only ethical feeding type.

You shouldn't want to play a horrible nighttime blood thief

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
I'm mostly with Ferrinus in the "don't fix what ain't broke" position, but if the goal is a "palatable" update, where "palatable" means "agreeable to people who don't like the Trads already", the Etherites have to go. I think their Revised take is great, but there's two problems. One is that the various WoD Revised updates can't (and didn't) unseat existing expectations, so for most people (including most of the people who write other books for the line) we're always dealing with "The Etherites/Malkavians/Setites I read about in '95 or have learned about second-hand from Internet Mage Chat" The other is that the Etherites in particular are a nexus for people's distaste for the line - anything that so much as sniffs of them is going to produce an immediate negative impression. The brand's toxic. SorcCrusade convinced a lot of people the Craftmasons were the Good Guys so just putting their successors more explicitly in the Trads (possibly just as their own Trad) would right the ship for some folks.

You could do what Awakening did and do horizontal slices, so that you have non-cultural Traditions arranged by factional role with favored Sphere by subfaction. The "Lawkeeper" Tradition is made up of your Vrata (Death), Quaesitors (Mind), Sacred Flames (Spirit), Twisters (Fate), etc. This has the dubious benefit of making your Trad something of a "character class" choice but also evades the thornier problems of the stereotypical Trads (looking at the Dreamspeakers here.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm honestly really against rewriting the thesis of the game in response to aggressive misinterpretation of the text, but I have to say having a Tradition who are basically "trade unions, with wizards" sounds awesome.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Anyway here's an Awakening Mastigos in 1e in the Duel Arcane, I guess. https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/826441992108392453?s=20

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm honestly really against rewriting the thesis of the game in response to aggressive misinterpretation of the text, but I have to say having a Tradition who are basically "trade unions, with wizards" sounds awesome.

Except for the parts where it is the text.

oMage is very difficult to interpret wrong, because of how many different ways its own text interprets it. You really shouldn't pretend there's a right way when you've spent so much time being mad that the text went and endorsed the Wrong Way.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oberst posted:

Well this situation wouldn't have arisen if youd picked consensualist. It's really the only ethical feeding type.

You shouldn't want to play a horrible nighttime blood thief

its a vampire human ethics don't apply

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

bewilderment posted:

Anyway here's an Awakening Mastigos in 1e in the Duel Arcane, I guess. https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/826441992108392453?s=20

Truth and Virtue aren't valid arcana :colbert:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rand Brittain posted:

Even better, the perfect turf war is already right there between them and the Hermetics in the form of freemasonry as a tool for influencing broader society and politicians.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

bewilderment posted:

She literally challenged Trump to a duel on the astral plane, her love vs his fear, during the debate.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/BoxrecGrey/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I think part of the problem with oMage is if you're going with consensual reality, having the antagonists be both The Man and also somehow still wizards makes kind of no loving sense. Turn the technocracy into mage's version of autumn people, have them be anti-magic. Make traditions like, tier one groups in nWoD terms, maybe creeping into tier 2 since the advent of the internet. There is no organized antagonist society, just creepy avatars of the status quo who are winning not because they have a massive conspiracy but because the protagonist factions are usually too busy fighting over esoteric occult minutia to actually go out there and change things. Writing this all out I realize I'm kind of failing to see how you'd run an actual game out of it... I guess you'd have to alternate fighting off the forces of the worst consensus and the political fallout that inevitably comes whenever a cabal of wizards actually gets poo poo done

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Digital Osmosis posted:

I think part of the problem with oMage is if you're going with consensual reality, having the antagonists be both The Man and also somehow still wizards makes kind of no loving sense. Turn the technocracy into mage's version of autumn people, have them be anti-magic. Make traditions like, tier one groups in nWoD terms, maybe creeping into tier 2 since the advent of the internet. There is no organized antagonist society, just creepy avatars of the status quo who are winning not because they have a massive conspiracy but because the protagonist factions are usually too busy fighting over esoteric occult minutia to actually go out there and change things. Writing this all out I realize I'm kind of failing to see how you'd run an actual game out of it... I guess you'd have to alternate fighting off the forces of the worst consensus and the political fallout that inevitably comes whenever a cabal of wizards actually gets poo poo done

This is Unknown Armies, isn't it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

Yeah, this is basically Unknown Armies.

Consensual reality is dumb as some kind of cosmic truth. (Some kind of force that requires you to play it low key with your wizardry in order to both ground things and to justify why the world is more-or-less as it is in real life is quite another.)

Hell I feel most of these games could do with a fair bit less of "if you use your cool powers at all, ever, "the Man" comes and murders you."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Consensual reality is fine when you realize that it's properly read as the broad social consensus which keeps our actually-existing society running, rather than some kind of constantly-running referendum on whether humans have thumbs or not. It's like, why does owning a certain piece of paper enable some people to summon armed thugs to imprison and kill random others? The consensus.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I generally define how the consensus works around "my neighbors believe the worst things, and they really shouldn't be allowed near cars or sharp objects, but ultimately they still get to do things."

Or the shorter form, "Bill believes in dragons, and that's terrible. Also they keep eating my lobelias."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You are both wrong, let's listen to the experts: