Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was a time displaced ring, I believe the ownership of the ring has changed a few times across retcons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Booster also stole Braniac 5's force belt, so I assumed it was also a Legion flight ring left by Braniac 5 since he created them.

E:
Wikipedia says:

quote:

Booster Gold is one of the few known non-Legionnaires allowed to use a Legion flight ring. It is the only piece of equipment stolen from the Space Museum that survived to the most recent version of Booster's suit unscathed. Its origins differ slightly between the 1987 and the 2008 series, but in both origins, it is revealed that the ring originally was the one held by Brainiac 5. In the alternate continuity of the Legion of Super Heroes in the 31st Century series, Brainiac 5 himself arranged the events leading Booster to steal a random flight ring, knowing about his heroic life in the 21st century from historical sources

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Booster Gold is one of my favorite characters, but can anyone explain this discrepancy?

He was a disgraced college football player in the 25th Century, and he got a job as a janitor at the Space Museum. That's where he stole his costume, his robot pal Skeets, a Legion flight ring, and Rip Hunter's time machine to travel back to the 20th Century to become a superhero and a celebrity.

I've never been a Legion fan, but aren't they in the 30th Century? How did one of their flight rings end up in a museum in the 25th Century? I'm sure there was some explanation in Dan Jurgens' original series, but that's probably the only significant Booster Gold material I don't own.

I looked this up, 'cause I was curious.

quote:

Oddly, the 30th-century technology of the Legion of Super-Heroes ended up in the 25th-century Space Museum by way of the 20th-century. When Brainiac 5 accompanied several Legionnaires into the past in order to apprehend Booster Gold for crimes against time (in Booster Gold #8, 1986 and Booster Gold #9, 1986), Brainiac donated the technology to Ronald Reagan, sitting President of the United States, in order to save him from an assassination attempt. The equipment would be passed forward, finally resting in the Space Museum where they would be stolen by Booster Gold. In addition to being a time paradox, this also means that Booster's reliable Flight Ring is over 500 years old.

From http://www.boosterrific.com/booster/powers.php which is a site that I love exists - but, as Rhyno says, that ring's story has probably changed a bunch over the years.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

ZOOM is the guy in the wheelchair who got on the time machine treadmill requiring superspeed to activate, somehow turned it on, and then it exploded. He taaaaaaaaaaaaaalksssssss like thiiiis because he's unstuck in time. Professor Zoom the Reverse-Flash is a criminal from the twenty-fifth century who figured out how the Flash got his powers, duplicated it, and then went back in time to cause trouble. Barry choked him to death at his second wedding for murdering Barry's first wife which was probably for the best since the professor didn't do a great job of things and Barry's first wife was still alive just living in the thirtieth century which is ruled by a robotic Abraham Lincoln (something that never comes up in Legion comics for some weird reason).

It's amazing that you could have made all of that up on the spot and it would still be very believable. So there's more than one Reverse Flash? I recently read a collection of Flash 28-32 where Flash is getting to grips with using the negative speed force, are there other types of speed force besides regular(?) and negative?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's the Rival, the original Reverse Flash, ZOOM, New 52 Reverse Flash, Reverse Kid Flash (Inertia). I'm sure there's a Reverse Jesse Quick out there somewhere.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

There's the Rival, the original Reverse Flash, ZOOM, New 52 Reverse Flash, Reverse Kid Flash (Inertia). I'm sure there's a Reverse Jesse Quick out there somewhere.

I don't know if the names of the Flash's speed based enemies is lazy or if the speed based names are brilliant.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

When is The Whizzer getting an ongoing?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

bessantj posted:

I recently read a collection of Flash 28-32 where Flash is getting to grips with using the negative speed force, are there other types of speed force besides regular(?) and negative?
I can start answering this question but I don't think I can finish it.

As I came to understand it, the speed force was just, like, the pure cosmological essence of speed itself. As I recall it was part of The Source, which in DC comics continuity is the... well, source, of all that exists, and is the limitless energy behind all of life- the speed force was the speedy part, the source of all movement. Speedsters are people who have an unusual relationship with that force, and tapping into it is what gives them their powers.
It was a way to connect the legacy of a bunch of speedster characters from throughout DC's history who all had different, not necessarily connected origins- with the introduction of the speed force, their origins were just individual events that had connected them to the same cosmic energy source.
(Or, lent spiritual significance, awakened the speed force to their presence. Is the speed force sentient? :iiam:)

Now, I don't know if I misunderstood what the speed force is, or if everybody at DC did, but after that it gets very confusing.
I don't know how you have a "negative" version of that, or how you can trap people inside of it, or how there would be a city in there, or how it could be inside of Bart for a couple months, or how Barry could be "generating" it (? which he does by running, which I'm pretty sure he can only do because of it???). I think maybe it just doesn't make sense now.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bessantj posted:

It's amazing that you could have made all of that up on the spot and it would still be very believable. So there's more than one Reverse Flash? I recently read a collection of Flash 28-32 where Flash is getting to grips with using the negative speed force, are there other types of speed force besides regular(?) and negative?

There's actually multiple forces now.

Speed: go fast
Negative speed: ...eats the speed force?
Strength: related to gravity; get real beefy
Sage: mental powers
Still: inertia

There may be other yet unrevealed forces as well.

I swear to god, I just want to see Captain Cold do a few beers and try to hold the US Olympic curling team for ransom or something, not this nonsense.

E: as for Reverse Flash(es); villain speedsters are just terrible at coming up with names.

Professor Zoom has gone by Reverse Flash, a Doctor that got speed powers and started working for Grodd called herself that; black Wally's dad Daniel was Reverse-Flash. I think the latter two were both calling themselves that, independent of each other at the same time.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 28, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

When is The Whizzer getting an ongoing?

There's major concerns about kids imitating him and injecting themselves with mongoose blood.

Cubone posted:

I don't know how you have a "negative" version of that, or how you can trap people inside of it, or how there would be a city in there, or how it could be inside of Bart for a couple months, or how Barry could be "generating" it (? which he does by running, which I'm pretty sure he can only do because of it???). I think maybe it just doesn't make sense now.

Trapping inside makes sense if it's part of the Source; there would just be a giant Flash head on the Source wall when that happened.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LadyPictureShow posted:

So Johns did for the Speed Force what he also did for the Lantern rings?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

So Johns did for the Speed Force what he also did for the Lantern rings?

None of this is Johns. Flash needs a new writer and let it be soon

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Cubone posted:

I can start answering this question but I don't think I can finish it.

As I came to understand it, the speed force was just, like, the pure cosmological essence of speed itself. As I recall it was part of The Source, which in DC comics continuity is the... well, source, of all that exists, and is the limitless energy behind all of life- the speed force was the speedy part, the source of all movement. Speedsters are people who have an unusual relationship with that force, and tapping into it is what gives them their powers.
It was a way to connect the legacy of a bunch of speedster characters from throughout DC's history who all had different, not necessarily connected origins- with the introduction of the speed force, their origins were just individual events that had connected them to the same cosmic energy source.
(Or, lent spiritual significance, awakened the speed force to their presence. Is the speed force sentient? :iiam:)

Now, I don't know if I misunderstood what the speed force is, or if everybody at DC did, but after that it gets very confusing.

Thanks, that kind of makes sense in as much as it can.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I swear to god, I just want to see Captain Cold do a few beers and try to hold the US Olympic curling team for ransom or something, not this nonsense.

E: as for Reverse Flash(es); villain speedsters are just terrible at coming up with names.

Professor Zoom has gone by Reverse Flash, a Doctor that got speed powers and started working for Grodd called herself that; black Wally's dad Daniel was Reverse-Flash. I think the latter two were both calling themselves that, independent of each other at the same time.

How is there a black and white Wally, someone just not feeling creative one day? Also I like your Captain Cold idea.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wally from pre-52 and current day murderer due to heroes in crisis and Wally who was inspired by the flash tv show and currently on teen titans

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bessantj posted:

Thanks, that kind of makes sense in as much as it can.

How is there a black and white Wally, someone just not feeling creative one day? Also I like your Captain Cold idea.

Black Wally (well, 'Wallace' now that there's two of them) is a post-Flashpoint 'anomoly', and white Wally was stuck in the speed force and is tormented by memories of pre-Flashpoint stuff that doesn't exist anymore (like his kids)

I'll let Wallace in the third panel explain:

Speaking of Wally and that Heroes in Crisis mini, despite setting up that time loop, is everyone still dead and that's why Wally went to jail? I wasn't completely clear on that.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
edit: didn't realize it was already answered.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Wally from pre-52 and current day murderer due to heroes in crisis and Wally who was inspired by the flash tv show and currently on teen titans

Thanks to you & LadyPictureShow. Also what now ^^?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bessantj posted:

Thanks to you & LadyPictureShow. Also what now ^^?

:tipshat:

There was a recent miniseries called Heroes in Crisis, dealing with an incident at a sort of secret therapy safehouse established by Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman. (Basically, heroes and villains could go there, talk to robotic therapy staff and go into VR rooms to confront their trauma).

Anyway, something happens, and Booster Gold and Harley Quinn are the only two survivors, except they each think the other one was the perpetrator. And somebody linked info of its existence to the world.

It turned out white Wally still remembers his wife and children that he had pre-Flashpoint, but doesn't have now, and in trying to come to grips with it, used his superspeed to go through every record and sees the collective trauma from all the records. This causes him to lose control of the speed force and kill everyone there except Booster and Harley. He then stages the crime scene (including killing himself five days later).

Booster closes the loop by cloning Wally's corpse in the future, because Wally's time displaced corpse was at the scene, and Wally hands himself over to the authorities.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LadyPictureShow posted:

There was a recent miniseries called Heroes in Crisis, dealing with an incident at a sort of secret therapy safehouse established by Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman. (Basically, heroes and villains could go there, talk to robotic therapy staff and go into VR rooms to confront their trauma).

Anyway, something happens, and Booster Gold and Harley Quinn are the only two survivors, except they each think the other one was the perpetrator. And somebody linked info of its existence to the world.

It turned out white Wally still remembers his wife and children that he had pre-Flashpoint, but doesn't have now, and in trying to come to grips with it, used his superspeed to go through every record and sees the collective trauma from all the records. This causes him to lose control of the speed force and kill everyone there except Booster and Harley. He then stages the crime scene (including killing himself five days later).

Booster closes the loop by cloning Wally's corpse in the future, because Wally's time displaced corpse was at the scene, and Wally hands himself over to the authorities.

And people bitch about Final Crisis being convoluted.

Who all actually died in that event?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Skwirl posted:

Who all actually died in that event?

-Tattooed Man
-Arsenal
-Blue Jay
-Commander Steel
-Hotshot
-Lagoon Boy
-Red Devil
-Gunfire
-Gnarkk
-Protector

I was really confused by them closing the loop/solving it, because did that mean doing that meant nobody died? No, I guess everyone was still dead, but they stopped the resulting loop.

I thought Tattooed Man was kinda cool in Final Crisis/Final Crisis Aftermath, but it was one of those 'oh my God! Nobody of importance died!' (Well, IDK what Arsenal was up to)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LadyPictureShow posted:

-Tattooed Man
-Arsenal
-Blue Jay
-Commander Steel
-Hotshot
-Lagoon Boy
-Red Devil
-Gunfire
-Gnarkk
-Protector

I was really confused by them closing the loop/solving it, because did that mean doing that meant nobody died? No, I guess everyone was still dead, but they stopped the resulting loop.

I thought Tattooed Man was kinda cool in Final Crisis/Final Crisis Aftermath, but it was one of those 'oh my God! Nobody of importance died!' (Well, IDK what Arsenal was up to)

I didn't read the event and but there was a cover with a very dead looking Poison Ivy so I was wondering. I think I've heard of Lagoon Boy and maybe Hotshot, but I couldn't describe them to police sketch artist.

I've read Final Crisis and still don't know who Tatooed Man was.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Skwirl posted:

I didn't read the event and but there was a cover with a very dead looking Poison Ivy so I was wondering. I think I've heard of Lagoon Boy and maybe Hotshot, but I couldn't describe them to police sketch artist.

I've read Final Crisis and still don't know who Tatooed Man was.

Ivy was dead, but because of her connection to 'the green' she regrew from a rose that Harley had been wearing in her hair. :rolleyes:

Tattooed Man didn't have a huge role in Final Crisis, but he like, teleported Black Canary and others to the Watchtower because he had the Metron 'circuit' tattooed, and it also jammed the anti-life signal. But all that Watchtower stuff didn't amount to much, since, like you said, Final Crisis was also convoluted as Hell.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Didn’t Tattooed Man have a pretty big role in Final Crisis: Submit? Which was one of the few Big Two comics where pretty much every character was a person of color.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Barry is still the Flash with the most blood on his hands.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Didn’t Tattooed Man have a pretty big role in Final Crisis: Submit? Which was one of the few Big Two comics where pretty much every character was a person of color.

That was just a one-shot, but he did get a post-FC miniseries https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Crisis_Aftermath:_Ink_Vol_1

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

That's a hell of a thing. What is in people's opinion the most convoluted storyline from the big two? (I'm sure Manga has had some legendary convoluted storylines.) Though I haven't read it Clone Saga always sounded convoluted.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

bessantj posted:

That's a hell of a thing. What is in people's opinion the most convoluted storyline from the big two? (I'm sure Manga has had some legendary convoluted storylines.) Though I haven't read it Clone Saga always sounded convoluted.

The crossing is the best

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Did New52 Wally come before or after the TV show? I kinda figured it was a cynical attempt to try and shut up Wally fans who wanted him back after the reboot, back when they were planning for that to be the new status quo forever. 'Why would you want the old Wally back? Don't you want more characters of colour? Please ignore we erased the Asian Batgirl from existence and probably only put Cyborg on the JLA since without John as GL it was all white people.'

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New 52 Wally predates CW Wally by 9 months or so if memory serves.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

The crossing is the best

*researches* :stonk:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bobkatt013 posted:

The crossing is the best

why do you do this to people

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do what? He's not wrong/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Clone Saga is mostly convoluted because every time they tried to end it some editor or marketing guy would jump in and tell them to extend the story or change something at the last minute. Most X-men stories and a lot of 90s Avengers stories are just convoluted on their own. I couldn't tell you what the gently caress was going on in the original Jacket Avengers story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

To get an idea about the clone saga look up house of Reilly

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Clone Saga isn't really convoluted so much as it's massively bloated. Explaining what happens is difficult but only because it goes on so long and so there are lots of plot points and characters.

The "saga" is really mostly called that in hindsight, though. You could be forgiven for reading through the Ben Reilly stint of Spider-Man, a year long, and thinking the saga was over with no expectation of more conclusions to wait for the way we know now it's not truly done until Osborn returns and Ben dies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One things for sure, whatever the most convoluted story is, the X men are involved

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

If HiC seems convoluted that is due to lovely writing rather than any actual plot complexity.

There's one timeline where Wally kills people and then commits a weird form of suicide. This gets replaced by a timeline where Wally kills a bunch of people, fakes his death with help from his BROS, and then turns himself in.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Clone Saga is mostly convoluted because every time they tried to end it some editor or marketing guy would jump in and tell them to extend the story or change something at the last minute. Most X-men stories and a lot of 90s Avengers stories are just convoluted on their own. I couldn't tell you what the gently caress was going on in the original Jacket Avengers story.

Even Harras had to deal with Operation Galactic Storm messing his stuff up. That said... I dunno, I think he had an Englehart-esque 'epic' in mind with Proctor and his crew, plus the love triangle with Dane, Crystal and Cersi* but he just sorta meanders around and it's a weird slog that is oddly fondly remembered by a lot of people.

*Or, as Kurt Busiek put it, "Three people who should have never been Avengers."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

One things for sure, whatever the most convoluted story is, the X men are involved

The Legion says hi.

And also on the DC side, there's the story of Power Girl getting pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Even Harras had to deal with Operation Galactic Storm messing his stuff up. That said... I dunno, I think he had an Englehart-esque 'epic' in mind with Proctor and his crew, plus the love triangle with Dane, Crystal and Cersi* but he just sorta meanders around and it's a weird slog that is oddly fondly remembered by a lot of people.

*Or, as Kurt Busiek put it, "Three people who should have never been Avengers."

Dane Whitman is one of the best Avengers EVER.

Shut up Kurt.