Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Power & Light is where all the trendy bars and restaurants and poo poo are. God help you if you try to drive through there on a Friday or Saturday night, and forget about parking. All the obnoxious people from the suburbs go there to party and everything is crowded and expensive and loud.

I don't like Power & Light, can you tell? I'd rather go to Westport and buy a $13 cocktail and then get shot.

THE BOX is actually decently close to my work, so maybe on Friday I will drive over and take a look.

I wish the Local Pig was still in Westport

loved to get half a pig face for dinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Buff Skeleton posted:

Also, I'm a bit saddened that more people didn't instantly recognize that bathroom from The Shining. Guess this is what getting old feels like.

It certainly *felt* like the bathroom from the shining so I guess that's OK.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xecdymHavj4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Buff Skeleton posted:

Looks like a perfectly normal McMansion roofline to me

Also, I'm a bit saddened that more people didn't instantly recognize that bathroom from The Shining. Guess this is what getting old feels like.

That's quite the non sequitur. I don't remember what a loving bathroom in a movie looks like because it's been more than twenty years since I last saw it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Buff Skeleton posted:

I haven't even seen the film all the way through* and yet I thought "that looks like The Shining" because the ~~~~aesthetic~~~~ is so strong

*I chickened out because I was like 15 and I'm still a total coward

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There are many things I remember about The Shining, but the bathroom was low on my list. I'm sorry (not sorry).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Is anyone in this thread in, or familiar with construction, in Canada? I have some questions, doing a thing for work. GC and commercial stuff.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I came across this on imgur last night, and felt it it needed sharing in here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8B36Vch

The 'foundation'. I don't know enough to know if this is sufficient.

Why, yes, they are cladding the entire thing in 2x6s.

Even the builder regrets using 2x6s and recommends plywood.

Then the 2x6s get covered up with vapor barrier and normal siding & roofing.

They added a couple inches of spray insulation before drywalling the upper floor. In a later picture, I originally thought they left the living room ceiling (which extends to the roof) uninsulated, but I don't see the rafters, so I think they insulated and stuck another layer of 2x6s on that.

I don't want to embed the videos there, but if you watch them...there are no doors anywhere in the interior. The entire thing is open plan, and that includes the half bath on the second floor (which opens up onto the top of the staircase).

They sold it for $150k, more than double what they put into the land and materials. The update to the description said they had 'a lot' of reinspections.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Hey, I went to visit THE BOX today!

I couldn't get close because it is in the middle of a very large lot and there were plenty of people around. It's in the sort of ~rapidly gentrifying~ neighborhood where I bet they wouldn't hesitate to call the cops.

THE BOX itself isn't so awful from the front because it's so far back, the balcony and windows add some interest, and there's some nice landscaping, but good god the side is grim. Just bare concrete and gravel.

The neighborhood is about 50% old Victorian rowhouse style homes in every stage from falling apart to lovingly restored and 50% new contemporary style homes, many very boxy, and a couple boxy condos. There is a fancy French restaurant but there are also broken bottles everywhere. There was a lot of greenery and old iron fences, which I liked very much.

I've lived here for 30 years and I sort of feel like I've been everywhere in the city, so it was kind of cool to visit a new neighborhood.

Welp, that's my review, thanks for reading.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
https://imgur.com/a/sGTXw5M

Guy buys a full sized bus and converts it in to an RV.

It looks really nice, but when he got to the plumbing and electrical I sorta got a bit worried.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

I came across this on imgur last night, and felt it it needed sharing in here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8B36Vch

lmfao

i do appreciate that the entire gallery was full of comments cussing himself out for being an idiot all the time though

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Darchangel posted:

I don't even know what they were trying to do here.

moist turtleneck posted:

What's the proper thing to do right here? asking for a friend

I did a double take because that poo poo looks a lot like the curved corner in my hallway other than the baseboard riddled with rendering errors.

Here it is done properly:

Even if you can't pull off the curved baseboard section, you could do an octagonal configuration or something, but I guess that would require basic math and knowing how to adjust the angle of the mitre saw. But seriously, how do you gently caress that up so spectacularly?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmfao

i do appreciate that the entire gallery was full of comments cussing himself out for being an idiot all the time though

It took me halfway through that image before I realized I wasn't staring at someone's scrap wood pile.

Or I guess another way to look at that is, they found a use for their scrap wood pile! A very bad use.

stealth edit: seriously, how do you gently caress up a spiral staircase so badly that it doesn't have a central vertical support?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Queen Victorian posted:

Even if you can't pull off the curved baseboard section, you could do an octagonal configuration or something, but I guess that would require basic math and knowing how to adjust the angle of the mitre saw. But seriously, how do you gently caress that up so spectacularly?

They increased the angle with each cut, instead of cutting out triangular sections to form a series of corners

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“I work in home remodeling. Previous owner of my clients house made an HVAC duct from soldering old anti-freeze containers together”

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

heck, they soldered it and that's more better than duct tape

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

“I work in home remodeling. Previous owner of my clients house made an HVAC duct from soldering old anti-freeze containers together”

If it worked, I might be inclined to keep it because, because.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

ashnjack posted:

https://imgur.com/a/sGTXw5M

Guy buys a full sized bus and converts it in to an RV.

It looks really nice, but when he got to the plumbing and electrical I sorta got a bit worried.

Having dealt with RV plumbing and electrical, he did a better job than a manufacturer would have. The only real objection I have is that minisplit A/C, the back bedroom will freeze while the rest of the bus won't get any cool air. A pair of 1 kW RV ceiling mount air conditioners would have been a better choice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only thing that worried me about that was the undercarriage shots which had a ton of rust.

And this:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jaded Burnout posted:

Seems like it would defeat the point of gutters, which is to catch water as it runs off the tiles.

The pitch is normally quite low with no attic.

peanut posted:

heck, they soldered it and that's more better than duct tape

I'm crying now. In my country, we are idiots and use expandable duct in octopus mode.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 28, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ripoff posted:

That’s gonna make for a really awkward closing when they go to sell it.

Obviously not anwhere near as bad as that, but my first house had a huge turkish flag feature wall in one bedroom. Painting over that was a bitch.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

The pitch is normally quite low with no attic.

Sure, but doesn't it dump onto the ground and erode things? Maybe this is a cultural difference, everything here has functional guttering directing water into drains. Even those downspouts you have that redirect water away from the foundation but still just onto the ground wouldn't fly in most cases. But then it rains a lot here.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Nah, it makes it into the gutter. Then there are downpipes of course; usually too few, but they do exist.

The tiles overhanging the gutter slightly just makes it a huge pain in the rear end the clean out and you get all scratched up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Nah, it makes it into the gutter. Then there are downpipes of course; usually too few, but they do exist.

The tiles overhanging the gutter slightly just makes it a huge pain in the rear end the clean out and you get all scratched up.

Ah.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Only thing that worried me about that was the undercarriage shots which had a ton of rust.

And this:

Park under a tree. Drive away, forcing all the leaves and crap on the roof directly into the grill of the A/C fan, completely clogging it and destroying the motor. Very cool.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You ever seen those things where it's like 'this is the $20,000 gown I wanted copied for $200 from some sketchy online tailoring shop, and here's the garbage sack that they sent me?" Here's the picture they sent, and this what they got back.

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmfao

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Queen Victorian posted:

I did a double take because that poo poo looks a lot like the curved corner in my hallway other than the baseboard riddled with rendering errors.

Here it is done properly:

That was basically what I meant. I knew what they were *supposed* to be doing, but I couldn't fathom how they failed at it so badly. It's like random hacking at the trim in the hopes that it will somehow form a curve.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It took me halfway through that image before I realized I wasn't staring at someone's scrap wood pile.

Or I guess another way to look at that is, they found a use for their scrap wood pile! A very bad use.

stealth edit: seriously, how do you gently caress up a spiral staircase so badly that it doesn't have a central vertical support?

Honestly, using a vertical pole, boring a hole in each plank, and rotating the planks around the pole would have been easier.

And that antifreeze air duct is baller.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

there wolf posted:

You ever seen those things where it's like 'this is the $20,000 gown I wanted copied for $200 from some sketchy online tailoring shop, and here's the garbage sack that they sent me?" Here's the picture they sent, and this what they got back.

There's a special place in hell for people who make "DIY" videos/tutorials where step 1 is get a cnc machine/laser cutter

protectionfault
Jun 28, 2019
commercial_buildings.tiff

Guess who gets to spend probably all weekend figuring out where these breakers go

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Wrong thread.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

protectionfault posted:

Guess who gets to spend probably all weekend figuring out where these breakers go

Is it really just having one dude with a radio walking around, telling the dude by the breaker what turned off or on? How does this work on such a large scale?

protectionfault
Jun 28, 2019

null_pointer posted:

Is it really just having one dude with a radio walking around, telling the dude by the breaker what turned off or on? How does this work on such a large scale?

We're borrowing a circuit-mapper doohickey that I can hook up to 8 branches at once and then go around seeing what is on what branch, but there's obviously a whole hell of a lot more than 8 branches so I'm expecting it to take a while. I think it works through RF or magic or something, I dunno.

It's one of those "been meaning to do it for years" projects and our electrical contractor finally put his foot down and said that he's sick of working on our poo poo. It's a 1960s building and what you're looking at is like the remnants of like five successive generations of wiring. You can actually tell where the original panel was on the wall, but that one is long gone and poo poo has just been run every which-a-way for so long that it's honestly going to take a long time to draw the map - a lot of these branches have ended up going to weird places and not in any logical organization. It's gonna suck. At least it's all in conduit so if I get really confused I can just start pulling the drop ceiling down and looking.

The three-phase single-item branches are labelled, at least.

protectionfault fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 29, 2019

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

protectionfault posted:

The three-phase single-item branches are labelled, at least.
Based on that disaster of wiring, anything that's labelled is probably wrong, but sure.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
In the spirit of that 2x6 cabin monstrosity, here’s are the shop building blogs from the guys at Mortise & Tenon: https://www.mortiseandtenonmag.com/blogs/blog/tagged/timber-frame-shop

Granite foundation, timber framing, non-crappy construction

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Synthbuttrange posted:

And this:

I'd love to see how that holds up to extended driving.
I can't imagine the flares or the copper lines are going to love being bounced around as that thing makes its way down the road.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

ExplodingSims posted:

I'd love to see how that holds up to extended driving.
I can't imagine the flares or the copper lines are going to love being bounced around as that thing makes its way down the road.

Mmm, I've seen that sort of setup, but generally much further down off the bumper, and it has some kind of shroud.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I dont understand why though. They make hvac units specifically for his application. They cost less, and work better.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Suspect Bucket posted:

Mmm, I've seen that sort of setup, but generally much further down off the bumper, and it has some kind of shroud.

I mean, so have I. But usually they're mounted low and much more rigidly, not hanging off the rear like like 4' out.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Darchangel posted:

Why... why did they run the roofing tiles out over the gutters?

~Coxy posted:

That's standard here. Dunno whether it's a good idea but it wouldn't surprise me if it's not. We are very bad at building houses.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Seems like it would defeat the point of gutters, which is to catch water as it runs off the tiles.

I'm not seeing any gutters in that image though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The grey metal thing with the slits cut into it is the gutter.