Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Literally only john roberts sense of shame, so, nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sydin posted:

Serious question: what prevents the current court from reviewing and blocking a run of the mill court packing? Like I can see the 5-4 decision striking down the appointment of more judges penned by Robert's already.

Technically nothing besides some arcane pretextual argument. The SCOTUS has changed in size before, although the last president who tried to pack it was FDR when he was trying his damndest to get the New Deal done.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sydin posted:

Serious question: what prevents the current court from reviewing and blocking a run of the mill court packing? Like I can see the 5-4 decision striking down the appointment of more judges penned by Robert's already.

they have no power to do so, the composition of the supreme court is explicitly given in the Constitution as a power and duty of Congress

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zoran posted:

Their lack of an army?

Sure but that digs into a very Heinlein-ian world where the only authority is violence. Assuming we dont devolve into that and actually respect SCOTUS decisions though, how far does their power reach wrt striking down laws or appointments that impact their power?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Sydin posted:

Sure but that digs into a very Heinlein-ian world where the only authority is violence. Assuming we dont devolve into that and actually respect SCOTUS decisions though, how far does their power reach wrt striking down laws or appointments that impact their power?

congress has the power to change the number of justices on the court. it's happened before repeatedly. the court saying otherwise is just bullshit and can and should be disregarded.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fool_of_sound posted:

congress has the power to change the number of justices on the court. it's happened before repeatedly. the court saying otherwise is just bullshit and can and should be disregarded.

Also Congress does ultimately retain the power to impeach.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sydin posted:

The court cannot strike down appointments, there is no ambiguity. Anyone who is nominated by the president and confirmed by the senate is a justice and participates in court business. Only a Heinlein approach could interfere with this.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sydin posted:

Theoretically nothing I guess, but they are not going to do it. If the law is simple, just expanding the size of the supreme court to 11 or whatever and thats it, then any fear that the supreme court would strike it down to keep it at 9 is not a serious thing to actually worry about.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sydin posted:

Constitution doesn't say a word on the number of justices. It's set by law, and has been changed by law before.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rigel posted:

Maybe to the extent that it could conflict with other Federal laws or procedures, but they can not bar the court from reviewing the constitutionality of a law.

one weird trick to make sure your laws are constitutional: just say that the supreme court can't review them

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And then adding the current supreme Court judges to tother courts (which they already do when retired anyway).

if i were the current justices i would politely decline the concurrent appointment to a circuit court - i'm very honored, but no thank you, i'll stay here rather than accepting your generous offer of less authority

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 28, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Zoran posted:

It would destroy the political power of the court if they were forced to draw from the pool randomly for any given decision, since precedents would no longer be authoritative. A rehearing the next year on a similar case with a different random drawing may very well produce a different result.

I believe this would be a net good.

Isnt this the whole point of Circuit Courts

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm just trying to figure out why, when the really easy and obvious answer is "I'm going to add a minimum of two liberal justices to the court, because that's the number of seats that were stolen from us via GOP shenanigans", seemingly every Dem candidate is tripping over themselves to come up with more obtuse and probably unconstitutional solutions.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Because that invites the GOP to make retaliatory alterations. They're trying (vainly) to create a solution that doesn't get undone whenever the pendulum swings back, as it always will. Because We the People are loving Dumb as Hell.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sydin posted:

I'm just trying to figure out why, when the really easy and obvious answer is "I'm going to add a minimum of two liberal justices to the court, because that's the number of seats that were stolen from us via GOP shenanigans", seemingly every Dem candidate is tripping over themselves to come up with more obtuse and probably unconstitutional solutions.

Mathematically, adding two justices is a compromise position for just the first stolen seat (ie a 6/5 court instead of the 5/4 without the stolen seat). But good luck explaining that to the public. :/

I’d just advertise it as “rebalancing” and only bring up the math to call the complaining right-wing pundits idiots.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 29, 2019

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

VitalSigns posted:

Congress can explicitly bar the court from reviewing a rotating justice bill, or any bill.

It’s never been tested, but Congress probably can’t strip all jurisdiction to the extent of precluding all remedy for violation of a vested constitutional right. There’s a good citation for that somewhere but I don’t feel like digging it up.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Keeshhound posted:

Because that invites the GOP to make retaliatory alterations. They're trying (vainly) to create a solution that doesn't get undone whenever the pendulum swings back, as it always will. Because We the People are loving Dumb as Hell.
Dem candidates shouldn't say anything about the Supreme Court because if the GOP thinks Democrats will do something about the court they'll preemptively pack it, even in a lame duck session.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

Dem candidates shouldn't say anything about the Supreme Court because if the GOP thinks Democrats will do something about the court they'll preemptively pack it, even in a lame duck session.

They can’t right now though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

They would need to control both houses of Congress to do that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gobbeldygook posted:

Mitch already threatened it a couple of times; we're pretty far past "I know that he knows that I know" games

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s never been tested, but Congress probably can’t strip all jurisdiction to the extent of precluding all remedy for violation of a vested constitutional right. There’s a good citation for that somewhere but I don’t feel like digging it up.

Yeah but you wouldn't do that, you would just make some lower court the final appellate court for that law.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Quorum posted:

The answer is no, probably, because the Census is constitutionally mandated to happen within ten years from the last one.

Legally you could do another one immediately after the first one though. :v:

eh, you could fudge it. The 1880 census took 8 years to complete. So you could push off demographic changes for awhile.

Or you could just completely ignore it. Congress was deadlocked after the 1920 census. So they just let the 1910 census stand for 23 years. :shrug:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

fosborb posted:

Or you could just completely ignore it. Congress was deadlocked after the 1920 census. So they just let the 1910 census stand for 23 years. :shrug:
They'd have to pass a new apportionment act (the 1929 one is the latest), which again would require the House.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

Even if they could, it wouldn't work in their favor. It would just make the Democratic packing in response more popular. Packing the court when you're already ahead is a bad move with no upside.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah uh the republicans have already packed the court. it's kinda the whole reason the democrats have to do it. the gop packing the court (which they can;t even do now) would be an empty gesture.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah but you wouldn't do that, you would just make some lower court the final appellate court for that law.

The exceptions clause may allow this, but it’s controversial. Ultimately the only real rule for the Supreme Court is that five of them can do whatever they like. I don’t think there’s ever been a statute that said something like “the Supreme Court shall not have appellate jd over cases where the courts must interpret or consider constitutional challenges to this Act”, but I bet SCOTUS would find a limit to the exceptions clause there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

God bless the theocratic states of America. :catholic:

VitalSigns posted:

Congress can explicitly bar the court from reviewing a rotating justice bill, or any bill.

I’m sure a court that ignored a loving amendment that restricts their ability to rule on voting rights so they could give a bullshit excuse for their party’s racism will abide by a regular law that restricts their authority.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I’m sure a court that ignored a loving amendment that restricts their ability to rule on voting rights so they could give a bullshit excuse for their party’s racism will abide by a regular law that restricts their authority.

You might be surprised - they’ve obeyed jurisdiction stripping provisions in the past.

And if they don’t, well, power of the purse. Defund the entire Supreme Court (or just Kavanaugh’s office). Can’t take their salaries, but you can take away everything else.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Church of Satan need to start a charter school stat.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://www.adn.com/politics/2019/06/29/dunleavy-cuts-334k-from-alaska-court-system-over-abortion-dispute/

that's the kind of spite and aggression democrats should direct at john roberts

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Was the court's rulings really so unusual this year?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-term-found-trump-s-justices-others-forming-unpredictable-n1024916

quote:

Supreme Court term found Trump's justices, and others, forming unpredictable alliances

The high court divided along the typical ideological lines only seven times.

By Pete Williams
WASHINGTON — Although the Supreme Court split between conservative and liberal justices in one of its most high-profile cases — a 5-4 ruling that said federal judges could not referee disputes over partisan gerrymandering — the court's just-ended term was notable for a series of unusual lineups.

The court divided along the typical ideological lines only seven times, with justices appointed by Republican presidents on one side and those appointed by Democrats on the other. After the bruising hearing for the court's newest member, President Donald Trump's nominee Brett Kavanaugh, the court seemed determined to keep a low profile and to avoid being perceived as a partisan body.

Kavanaugh turned out to be the justice most often in the majority. He joined with the court's liberals in allowing iPhone customers to sue Apple over pricing in the App Store, and in blocking the execution of a Texas death-row inmate after the state refused to let him have his Buddhist priest in the lethal injection chamber.

Kavanaugh was in the majority in 91 percent of the term's decisions in which he participated, slightly more than Chief Justice John Roberts. Justice Neil Gorsuch, Trump's other appointee, and Justice Clarence Thomas were least often in the majority.

Roberts, however, voted more often, because Kavanaugh did not take part in cases that he heard previously as a judge on the federal Court of Appeals in Washington.

The two Trump justices were on opposite sides in almost half of the opinions that were not unanimous, including rulings in which the high court found that separate prosecutions for the same offense in state and federal court do not violate the protection against double jeopardy, tossed out a lawsuit over political boundaries for the state legislature, and narrowed the grounds for prosecuting some federal crimes.

They also split in December when the court refused to hear appeals from states seeking to prevent Medicaid patients from using the services of Planned Parenthood. Gorsuch joined a dissent written by Thomas, who said the cases were not about abortion. Then Thomas asked: "So what explains the court's refusal to do its job here? I suspect it has something to do with the fact that some respondents in these cases are named 'Planned Parenthood.'"

But Kavanaugh and Gorsuch were together in one of the court's most unusual lineups, as the justices struck down a provision of federal law that prevented the government from issuing trademarks considered "scandalous" or "immoral" — a victory for a California man whose clothing line bears the word "FUCT." They joined fellow conservatives Thomas and Justice Samuel Alito and liberal justices Elena Kagan and Ruth Bader Ginsburg in the majority.

The term was also notable for the hot-button cases the court put off until next year or avoided entirely. It declined to rule on whether business owners can refuse to provide their services for same-sex weddings based on their religious beliefs. But next year, the court will consider whether existing anti-discrimination laws make it illegal to fire employees on the basis of their sexual orientation.

The court declined to hear a challenge to the federal ban on bump stocks — devices that allow a rifle to be fired rapidly like a machine gun — that went into effect in March. But next year, the justices will take up the first gun-rights case they've heard in almost a decade. It's a challenge to New York City's restriction on transporting guns outside the city limits. Some gun-control advocates were hoping the city will repeal the law in order to keep the gun issue from being taken up by the Supreme Court.

Even though the Justice Department has repeatedly urged it to act quickly, the court waited until the last day of the term to say it will take up the government's appeal of lower court rulings requiring the Trump administration to continue the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. DACA allows children of illegal immigrants to remain here if they were younger than 16 when their parents brought them to the United States and if they arrived by 2007. The White House has been trying for almost two years to shut down the Obama-era program.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

It's not really surprising since the ideological composition of the court hasn't changed that much by losing Kennedy and gaining Beerman. It just continues trucking on slowly eroding progress. The big worry is that the liberal are old as hell; a 7-2 or even 6-3 court would be devastating since the ultra-conservative assholes would have a reliable majority.

E: Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 1, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Charlz Guybon posted:

Was the court's rulings really so unusual this year?

I cannot remember another opinion with two different 5-4 coalitions having only one member in common...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinDaleyDC/status/1145701921321377793

This is really really frightening

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

what's up with this unironic daily caller link

also title VII already doesn't cover us in the majority of the country, these cases will really be about chastising the second and seventh circuits for allowing anything progressive to happen

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I thought there was a worry over the change from straight 5-4 decisions to more usage of 9-0 decisions where the majority has to be tailored so narrowly as to effectively guy what liberals were hoping to defend. Auer being the prime example.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Obviously the majority is going to decide that discrimination against LGBT people is ok. Have you ever seen anything from any of those 5 hateful old fucks that suggests otherwise? Roberts would be keen to go back and gut Obergefell. But luckily this isn't something we need to pass a constitutional amendment to fix. If the Dems can get back the senate and the presidency, they can just pass a law to protect LGBT people in the workplace, and probably would.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

Obviously the majority is going to decide that discrimination against LGBT people is ok. Have you ever seen anything from any of those 5 hateful old fucks that suggests otherwise? Roberts would be keen to go back and gut Obergefell. But luckily this isn't something we need to pass a constitutional amendment to fix. If the Dems can get back the senate and the presidency, they can just pass a law to protect LGBT people in the workplace, and probably would.

yeah I mean at a certain point, we do need to explicitly fix Title VII instead of relying on increasingly broad theories about what its language includes

i'd rather that not come in this manner, but in the scheme of bad SCOTUS decisions that are likely to happen next term, it's very fixable

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Stickman posted:

It's not really surprising since the ideological composition of the court hasn't changed that much by losing Kennedy and gaining Beerman. It just continues trucking on slowly eroding progress. The big worry is that the liberal are old as hell; a 7-2 or even 6-3 court would be devastating since the ultra-conservative assholes would have a reliable majority.

E: Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question...

Yes, the article says that straight splits between Dem appointed judges and GOP appointed judges was rare this year. Only happened seven times.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Some interesting charts

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-supreme-court-might-have-three-swing-justices-now/

quote:

Kavanaugh was, overall, more moderate than his fellow Trump appointee. Gorsuch had a somewhat idiosyncratic voting record, even though he was still further to the right ideologically. For instance, Gorsuch cast several tie-breaking votes that favored criminal defendants, earning him unexpected praise from the left and solidifying his reputation as a skeptic of big government in all forms.

There isn’t a single “swing” justice anymore
Based on how they have ruled this year, there are now three justices who could reasonably be seen as “swing” votes of one kind or another: Roberts, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. And it’s possible to argue that all — or none — of these justices have replaced Kennedy as the court’s “swing” justice. Roberts and Kavanaugh are more ideologically moderate than Gorsuch, but Gorsuch was more of a loose cannon. He joined the liberals in more closely divided cases than any of his conservative colleagues. That made him the “swingiest” conservative on the court, even though it was Roberts who ultimately determined the outcome of one of the most closely watched cases of the term when he voted to keep a question about citizenship off the 2020 census form for the time being.

In an odd way, the lack of a single “swing” justice may have created new opportunities for the court’s liberal minority to forge alliances with the conservatives. As I wrote last year, Kennedy voted in a conservative direction in 71 percent of the closely divided cases he was involved with through the October 2016 term. This year, less than half of the closely divided cases pitted the conservatives against the liberals, while each of the conservative justices joined the liberals in at least one case.

But some of the most important trends of the term aren’t visible in the data — and they indicate the conservative bloc may still be figuring out its strategy. Several of the conservative justices, including Gorsuch, were open about their willingness to reconsider key precedents involving abortion and the administrative state, to the alarm of their liberal colleagues. So it’s entirely possible the balance of power on the court is still shifting, and if these precedents are threatened in future terms, Roberts won’t be the only justice to watch. Trump’s appointees will play a central role in determining the court’s direction in the next term and beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just like everything else hosed up with our country's first past the poll winner-takes-all system, anything that is one vote above 50% wins.

So 5 to 4 for everything conservative for the SCOTUS for the foreseeable future.

It doesn't matter how 538 spins it, that is what it all comes down to.