Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

More like GTA 3(/5)

I played this game all the time as a kid, had a lot of fun going on rampages with a cheated in tank. Took me over a year to figure out there were islands besides the first one because I never bothered with the lovely rear end story missions. Despite how much time I sank into it as a child, the game was just ok. I know everybody loves Vice City but I really didn't like it for reasons I cannot remember, probably just down to child me not knowing the map like I did in the original.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

4\5

Still the best 3d GTA, "original" story and world, so much so that Rockstar keeps coming back to it in different ways. After 3, they bolted on more stuff and stories, but never improved on the formula, which is a plus for 3 but a negative for the series. There's an issue when gta3 plays as well as rdr2, but it's not on gta3s end. Rockstar's second best game behind Bully, their only attempt to evolve the formula.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
4/5

I had so much fun with this game. The music, the voice acting, the freedom, the dark humor and the atmosphere are thing that I remember fondly when I think about this game. It was mind blowing at the time. Even the instruction manual was cool: it was a tourist pamphlet for Liberty city. It would be one of my favorite game of all time if not for the 2 sequels especially Vice City.

I loved GTA3 so much that Vice City was one of the first game that I followed the development/announcements/previews and comments on the internet. And the only reason why I don't give it a 5 is because I like Vice City and San Andreas more.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rarity posted:

Participation this week seems a bit low. Would people like to switch up the kind of games we look at a bit? I confess when starting the list I was thinking about the famous classic games that most people would have played at some point but I'm happy to change things up if it would help people feel more engaged. Very happy to hear your feedback :)

I think you could stand to pick more divisive games to really kickstart the Discourse we all crave

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Rarity posted:

Participation this week seems a bit low. Would people like to switch up the kind of games we look at a bit? I confess when starting the list I was thinking about the famous classic games that most people would have played at some point but I'm happy to change things up if it would help people feel more engaged. Very happy to hear your feedback :)

I think historic good games is all well and good but its worth considering the inverse, bad games that may actually seem better now. RE6 is a good example because while it certainly is a bad game and was horribly tone deaf at the time from capcom, now its a fun experience in coop so long as you go in expecting stupid, and the direction the plot takes is far less a big deal because people have gotten their good re games.

Also in terms of good games it may be worth considering less well known cult classics like say, resonance of fate, a game I have a lot of nostalgia for and is liked in several circles, but also I have heard several people complain about. It may be a good idea to mix one or two of these or the previous ideas in between classics well known and reviewed well.

Lastly I could suggest rather than just one game include similar sequels to be rated separately at the same time like say, mario galaxy and galaxy 2. Of course it wouldn't recommend it for anything annual like cod or assassins creed but its a idea.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
5/5

I was thinking hard about if I wanted to give it a low score, but before I actually beat the game, I loved it and couldn't put it down and even had to upgrade my computer to play it. I still remember a lot of the Game FM tracks because it was all that I listened to. I liked it more than Vice City but not as much as San Andreas.

I guess to put it into perspective. I played both GTA 1 and 2 before this one and those games play like complete poo poo. GTA3 changed all that.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i rated GTA3 high but at the time it was released and even now i felt like there was a lot lost between 2 and 3. partly because of the transition away from freedom to choose allegiances (which was meaningless but i liked the agency i had at the time) in favour of telling a more traditional story.

it especially seems like a loss when, while i 'like' GTA3's story as a microcosm of the time and culture that produced it, it wasn't actually particularly interesting.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

4/5

I never had a ps2, but I got it on my phone a few years ago, and it was pretty fun. Easy to pick up and play for a few minutes, not like the long, meandering multi-phase missions you get in the later games.

Maybe it makes a better mobile game than a console one

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Playing GTA on a phone sounds like a nightmare

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I've voted on every game I've played I just didn't play many western games as a kid.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it would be cool in future iterations to do something like “how you would have rated it back then vs your rating now” so that you could see which games have aged better with time in chart form. Probably a lot more work though!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thanks for your thoughts, peeps. I've flipped the order of the next few games around and I'll be trying out a couple of experiments as well to see how they go down. If anyone else has suggestions though please feel free to add them!

exquisite tea posted:

I think it would be cool in future iterations to do something like “how you would have rated it back then vs your rating now” so that you could see which games have aged better with time in chart form. Probably a lot more work though!

Maybe this is something people could share if they wanted to and then it there's lots of traction on it I can mention it as an addition for the final result?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
just do dark souls and ruin your thread

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
yeah a lot of these games were successful and influential but people aren't emotionally attached to them or mad about them. Dark Souls, Warcraft 3, any Final Fantasy, Undertale, Shadow of the Colossus, Baldur's Gate 2, any Zelda game, heck anything Nintendo has released after the wii, these are more likely to rile people up one way or another.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 26, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've been consistently rating as how good they are now but having some clarification on that would probably help the thread

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I thought this was just a "do they hold up now" thread, which I think is more interesting. If it's a "how good it was then" thread, then we'd just be giving them essentially the same score based on the same laurels and hyperbole that informed this thread's creation in the first place.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
3/5 (4/5 if we're doing the past ratings)

I replayed through GTA 3 about 8 months ago on the PS4 and was surprised how well it still held up. The controls are my biggest complaint, particularly with shooting. Also, as mentioned by a previous poster, getting your car one-shotted by mafia guys with shotguns was annoying.

The humor didn't really hold up quite as well as I remembered and the story is forgettable. IMO the game is definitely important for representing a maturation of games and their consumers.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

4/5

It's THE template for open-world sandboxes and is probably the best showcase of both the positives and negatives. It's also one of the games that has suffered the most in terms of its successors improving upon it. The setting of "Generic Big American City" is pretty drab and lacking in personality in comparison to even its immediate successors VC and SA.

Introducing an overarching storyline instead of the "true" freeform crime sandbox of GTA1 & 2 is one of the worst things that has happened to the series IMO.

Best radio station: Chatterbox edges out Flashback and Lips

Rarity posted:

I'm busy like a bee ok

No Wave posted:

yeah a lot of these games were successful and influential but people aren't emotionally attached to them or mad about them. Dark Souls, Warcraft 3, any Final Fantasy, Undertale, Shadow of the Colossus, Baldur's Gate 2, any Zelda game, heck anything Nintendo has released after the wii, these are more likely to rile people up one way or another.

:agreed:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Utgardaloki posted:

i rated GTA3 high but at the time it was released and even now i felt like there was a lot lost between 2 and 3. partly because of the transition away from freedom to choose allegiances (which was meaningless but i liked the agency i had at the time) in favour of telling a more traditional story.

it especially seems like a loss when, while i 'like' GTA3's story as a microcosm of the time and culture that produced it, it wasn't actually particularly interesting.

yeah imho 2 was the height of the entire series' storytelling. The mission where you have to ramp a bridge to break a dude out of prison blew my mind at the time.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Its been bad luck for me simply because every single game after doom was something I both did not play, and have absolutely no interest in. Doesn't help that the gamecube era was the one I really grew up with, regardless of the fact my family owned a n64.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think a How Bad Was It Really thread would be fun too since imho it's more interesting to see people defend the honor of very divisive games than nitpick popularly acclaimed ones.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Wave posted:

I give Nintendo a 1 out of 5 since they enable the most inescapable developmentally stunted, creepy cultist fanbase in video games

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

puve posted:

I give Nintendo a 1 out of 5 since they enable the most inescapable developmentally stunted, creepy cultist fanbase in video games

...I'll allow it

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exquisite tea posted:

I think a How Bad Was It Really thread would be fun too since imho it's more interesting to see people defend the honor of very divisive games than nitpick popularly acclaimed ones.

The melodramatic game reviewer guys get a perfect 5 for giving the coolest gamers online all the ammunition they need to take down any video game without playing it, in exchange for ad revenue

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'd like to see this but I also wouldn't blame you at all for not wanting to do it OP. It might need moderator approval anyway

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

3/5

San Andreas was better

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Control Volume posted:

3/5

San Andreas was better

3/5 but Vice City is a perfect 5

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Control Volume posted:

San Andreas was better

:hmmyes:

How it was then: 5/5
How it is now: 3/5
Best radio: Chatterbox

GTA3 was a phenomenon when it came out, and I'd dare say the majority of people who played it did so on the PS2. It was honestly mind-blowing, and with the benefit of hindsight, hadn't gotten dragged down with what the Houser's seem to think good mission design is. Rockstar didn't seem to hate their fanbase yet with this one, so it's a lot more light-hearted and fun while still being a story about criminals and gangsters and the like.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

exquisite tea posted:

This is my kind of stupid bullshit. I haven't played a lot of the good AAA titles.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
How it was then: 4/5

I haven't played GTA3 in many years since it's re-release on PSP so I can't judge how well it holds up now.

However, GTA3 was mind-blowing when it came out. A combination of constant player choice (from "which car do you want to drive" to guns, to routes to take on missions, to the order you do missions...) and absolute freedom when not in a mission was almost overwhelming.

As a kid with a car obsession being able to jump in any car you can see and then drive around a huge, very well modelled (for the time) city like a lunatic was like a dream come true. I think the best way I can describe it was the video game version of the imagination games you used to play with matchbox cars, complete with cops, robbers, squealing tyres and ~radical, impossible jumps~.

I deduct a point because some of the missions were total rear end and even for the time the aiming/shooting sucked. Remember the wind up delay before every shot?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Week 7: 29th June - 5th July

Grand Theft Auto III comes in with perhaps an underwhelming score of 3.28 so let's look at the updated ranking:

1. Super Mario 64: 4.38
2. Doom: 4.22
3. Street Fighter II: 3.94
4. Grand Theft Auto III: 3.28
5. The Sims: 2.8
6. Gears of War: 1.97

This week... Well, this week.

1Up.com posted:

The sheer happiness you get after the trial-and-error pays off and you overcome the challenge is absolutely impossible to replicate.

Edge posted:

It's vertigo-inducing breadth makes it the gaming equivalent of a marathon.

IGN posted:

There's a difference between punishing, and downright unfair.

RATED 89 ON METACRITIC

SOLD 2.37 MILLION COPIES IN 1.5 YEARS

RECEIVED THE FAMITSU AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE

TURNED FROMSOFTWARE INTO A MAJOR DEVELOPER

MADE SURE YOU GOT GUD

DARK SOULS
(PS3/360/PC, FromSoftware, 2011)

You knew we were going to be talking about this game sooner or later. While Dark Souls didn't invent the Soulsborne formula it was the game that brought into the mainstream leading to countless discussions over its quality that continue to this day. The game presented an expansive world with a hidden lore presented in beautiful detail but there was just one problem, it was balls hard. Dark Souls posed the question: was it a bad game or were you a bad gamer. So tell me friends, how good was it, really?

Relax Or DIE posted:

You fuckin asked for it

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a 5 for sure but don't take my word for it, become a Darkwraith and see for yourself

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
2/5. A game that only became popular because it's an elite gamer meme. Remember Dwarf Fortress and how people would recommend it no matter the circumstance? Well, Dark Souls is just that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dark Souls is probably my favorite videogame series/subgenre. I really liked Demon's Souls but thought it was going to be a one off thing, so hearing it was getting a spiritual successor was incredibly cool (its also a spiritual successor to the underrated Lost Kingdoms 2. And I guess the accurately rated King's Field). Dark Souls didn't disappoint either. Compared to Demon's the gameplay was improved, the graphics were better, and the game was probably something like 5 times the size. Going in blind and discovering stuff like Ash Lake felt incredible. The genre conventions are probably well known enough at this point that you couldn't really replicate it. Finding, say, the untended graves in DS3 was cool but it didn't really compare. I still don't think I can name a game with a better realized setting and atmosphere.

As for its legacy, the number of non-From Software copycat games is actually surprisingly small (compare to Assassin's Creed for example). There are a decent number of good ones though. IMO Salt and Sanctuary, Nioh, The Surge and Ashen are all worth playing if you want more Souls. I think the bigger impact it had was more philosophical. It's easy to forget but when it came out mainstream games were nearly all incredibly hand-holdy and easy. I think Dark Souls's difficulty is often oversold, but you DO have to git gud to some extent, and I think seeing a game like that be wildly successful and popular in the gaming community gave developers and publishers the kick in the pants to actually make games challenging again. If you're the type to post in this forum you can probably still beat most AAA games no sweat, but 2011 AAAs make 2019 AAAs look like I Wanna Be the Guy.

If you asked me a year after it came out it would be an easy 5 out of 5, but the subgenre has advanced quite a bit since then. I think the sequels and Bloodborne all have significantly improved gameplay which makes it tough to go back to. I know I was one of those people who scoffed when others claimed that the game was "clunky" and countered with "it's deliberate, you're just not used to this kind of game". But no, it was clunky (see also: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite). I played it a few months ago right after beating Sekiro and was honestly wondering if something was wrong with my controller up through the gargoyle fight. There's also the widely acknowledged fact that most of the game after O&S is kind of poo poo in comparison. And a lot of the online stuff besides basic co-op/PVP and messages never really worked that well.

So in the end I'd say 4/5. Hugely influential game, and I don't think the storytelling, exploration, and environment have been topped by any of its successors. But they HAVE improved the gameplay quite a bit to a degree that makes DS tough to go back to for me in a way that other games in the genre aren't. Oh yeah, and the Dark Souls community is low key one of the shittiest gaming fanbases out there.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
5/5

Demon's Souls was a fun and unique but very flawed game. Dark Souls basically took DeS and removed everything that was wrong it, and then made the good stuff better. I might have had an easier time as I had played DeS first and had already gotten past the 'bashing my head against it' phase, but I got into Dark Souls super quickly and when I first bought it I played it over and over again for months straight. Unlike some of the other games in this thread I think it still holds up well against its sequels, and while the controls can feel a bit clunky after playing DSIII/Bloodborne it's a minor issue at worst. It can be an arsehole at times but for the most part I think it's difficulty is fair, and playing through it could feel myself improving in a way I haven't really felt in any other game.The way it tells its story is so different and the story itself is really good if you take the time to find out about it. It does a great job of depicting a largely desolate hellscape, and the interconnectivity of Lordran is something even it's sequels didn't replicate.

I thought about giving it 4/5 because of the controls and the fact that some of the bosses are poorly designed (or terribly, in Bed of Chaos' case), but I'm just too biased. I can absolutely understand why it doesn't click for some people, but it did for me and is one of my favourite games of all time.

Also lovely people liking the game doesn't make the game itself bad.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've never played Dark Souls so I'm going to review Kings Field.

It's hard.

3/5

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
4/5.

Dark Souls is a game that transcends "defining a genre", because, as posted above, there isn't really a huge genre of Dark Souls copycats despite the enormous success of the Souls franchise. What Dark Souls did is popularly advance the idea that difficulty in games could add something to the experience beyond bragging rights for the player. Despite being pretty simple, this idea was counter to common game design thought at the time and really important to video game design in general, as evidenced by Dark Souls spawning an endless stream of inane video game pundits referring to every single potentially challenging game, regardless of genre, as "The Dark Souls of x" endlessly until that phrase began to actually lose meaning.

As for the game itself today, it holds up well. It's still extremely fun to go back and play even today, and though it definitely misses some design refinement of its successors, many of the changes made in the later Souls games and Bloodborne were effectively changes to the feel of the game rather than actual objective mechanical improvements, so it doesn't feel painfully archaic in my opinion. Where the game runs into problems, IMO, are problems it had even at release: there are a couple of extremely rough, lovely boss fights that needed a lot more time in the oven(Capra Demon, Bed of Chaos); the back half of the game lacks a lot of the care and polish and interconnectivity of the first half, with poo poo areas like Lost Izalith and Tomb of Giants marring an overall incredible experience; and if you're playing it on the original hardware or playing the original PC version without modding it to the skies, it has severe performance issues in several areas that change otherwise well-designed areas into slideshow fuckfests(the infamous Blighttown).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Don't get me wrong, I love the formula - Bloodborne is my favorite game, I've put hundreds of hours into DS2, I've played and enjoyed almost all the games it inspired (hell, I rank Lords of the loving Fallen above Dark Souls) - but this game is full of glitches and weird design decisions that the "souls community" have decided were intentional and good, as opposed to fuckups. I've tried to like the original more. I've gone back and replayed the start like twenty times. This game does not fuckin' grab me, it's not fun to me. And yes, I know my most recent run that I was posting about in the DS thread is using a secret lategame sword that overpowers most early game enemies to a ridiculous level - this ain't my first rodeo, and even it doesn't make the game fun.

The best thing Dark Souls did was inspire "the B team" to experiment with the formula for DS2, and kick off a niche game genre of really good games. The worst thing it did was exist in its current state. I can't give it 1/5; there's too much loving quality in the game and it has done so goddamn much for game development at large and hell, I'd feel comfortable saying it single-handedly pulled videogames back from a ledge where they were getting too easy out of fear of inaccessible content. It's iconic, and influential, and holy poo poo I cannot pick up what made this game fun to everyone, although I'm sure as hell glad something did.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

3/5

The expansive environments and worldbuilding are really impressive and rewarding to go through, but the boss fights are annoying and the controls are just terrible, and I'm still not convinced that it was on purpose.

Whoever came up with the difficulty-as-a-feature marketing angle is a goddamn genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Remember Dwarf Fortress and how people would recommend it no matter the circumstance?

OP ya gotta do this game definitely